PDA

View Full Version : Can a Winter Olympic medal compete with a Summer Olympic medal?

Lin Lin
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:18 AM
For me,I definitely think it is equal,however,I also see some people say not all countries can compete in Winter Olympics,like countries in the tropical zone,they can hardly have a piece of ice or snow court to train,so,a winter olympic medal isn't as important or valuable as a summer olympic medal.What do you think about? :confused:

Ellery
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:21 AM
:tape:

Of course it is.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
No

Apoleb
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
No one can beat a winter olympic medal at her best. :shrug:

canuckfan
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Go tell a cross-country skier that his medal is worth less than a shooting or synchronized diving medal and see how he reacts :tape:

Pasta-Na
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:52 AM
no :o

RFSTB
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
The Summer Olympics in Beijing had 302 events in 28 sports, which means 302 gold medals were awarded.

The Winter Olympics in Vancouver has 86 events.

So there are almost 4x more Summer Olympic gold medalists than Winter Olymic gold medalists. I'd say the Winter Olympic gold actually is worth more.

The way they keep adding events in these games, pretty soon an Olympic gold medal will be worth as much as a gold coin, make that a tiny one. The value of a gold medal keeps getting diluted.

Lin Lin
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Go tell a cross-country skier that his medal is worth less than a shooting or synchronized diving medal and see how he reacts :tape:

You can't do such comparison though.

Basicallly,every country can do shooting or synchronized diving,buy not every country can do cross-country skier,like some of tropical countries,they even have no snow at all:lol:

jefrilibra
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Curling gold?

:shrug:

Pasta-Na
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM
just look at the media coverage. two freaking whole weeks tv coverage for summer olympics... but winter olympics :o

mandy7
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
just look at the media coverage. two freaking whole weeks tv coverage for summer olympics... but winter olympics :o
we get plenty of coverage. :shrug:
all night long olympics on at least 2 or 3 channels
(NL1, BBC, Eurosport)

McPie
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Thailand never competed in it :o so dunno :shrug::lol:

Lin Lin
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Thailand never competed in it :o so dunno :shrug::lol:

Really?I think even Hong Kong SAR has 2 or 3competitors there:unsure::lol:

Pasta-Na
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM
we get plenty of coverage. :shrug:
all night long olympics on at least 2 or 3 channels
(NL1, BBC, Eurosport)

not all over the world. :p

olivero
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
of course it's equal.
only countries who don't compete in winter olympics would say it's not. and since they don't compete their voice is irrelevant anyway :shrug:

Direwolf
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I think they should be held in the same year anyway!!

even torino had more excitement than vancouver

Juanes
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
well, Winter Olympic Games are not so popular..... because snow is unfortunatelly not all around the world.... :lol: .... but it surely doesn´t mean medal of WOG is less appreciated.....

mckyle.
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Aren't the winter medals usually bigger in size? I'd want that one :hearts:

Yarden
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
No!

SloKid
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I think they should be held in the same year anyway!!

even torino had more excitement than vancouver
No, they shouldn't. They used to be, but I think they made the right decision to have the Olympics every two years.

And I personally think medals are the same, I'm equally happy, when Slovenia wins a medal, be it in the summer or winter olympics and I don't think athletes give a shit about that anyway.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Definitely.

Golovinjured.
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, equal.

miffedmax
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Having so many nations compete at the summer Olympics is a relatively recent phenomenon, and, realistically, in a lot of events many competitors are only there to make up numbers anyway.

Some of the winter sports are among the most demanding in the world.

Slam curling, but you actually burn as many calories per hour in that sport as you do playing tennis and more than you do in such summer sports as sailing, archery, synchronized swimming, ping pong, badmiton and bunch of others.

Milito22
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
This is a joke, right?

mure
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
No, winter sports are bullshit.I've written it again but hopefully the global warming will save us from all those ridiculous boring sports as there will be no snow to play them on.Curling=no comment,this biathlon thing is so random..i mean they are skying and then have to shoot?What's the point in this,we could mix Marathon with competitive distance urinating and call it an olympic sport as well.

Ice hockey looks like a fun sport but only when you play it on video games,because in TV you can't see the damn black thing and the only way to understand when a team scores is by the players reaction.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Slam curling, but you actually burn as many calories per hour in that sport as you do playing tennis and more than you do in such summer sports as sailing, archery, synchronized swimming, ping pong, badmiton and bunch of others.
Yes, but a sport doesn't necessarily have to be physically tiring to qualify as a sport. Archery, snooker, curling and even darts are sports because they are forms of competition for which the end result depends on a physical activity. Some sports reward those with the most endurance, others those with the most strenght, the most speed, the best technique, the best hand-eye coordination or whatever. All too often people argue that whatever sports they enjoy are valid and those that they don't enjoy aren't, but to be among the best in ANY sport is a major achievement that requires lots of talent and countless hours of training.

Boreas
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
No, winter sports are bullshit.I've written it again but hopefully the global warming will save us from all those ridiculous boring sports as there will be no snow to play them on.Curling=no comment,this biathlon thing is so random..i mean they are skying and then have to shoot?What's the point in this,we could mix Marathon with competitive distance urinating and call it an olympic sport as well.

Ice hockey looks like a fun sport but only when you play it on video games,because in TV you can't see the damn black thing and the only way to understand when a team scores is by the players reaction.

Biathlon is just as random as triple jump or football. Most sports are random and were made up by bored people. In fact, biathlon(shooting and cross country skiing) was once a way to survive in cold, snowy forests/plains. Granted deers and bears never came to people's houses by themselves. Can you say the same for many other sports?

miffedmax
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, but a sport doesn't necessarily have to be physically tiring to qualify as a sport. Archery, snooker, curling and even darts are sports because they are forms of competition for which the end result depends on a physical activity. Some sports reward those with the most endurance, others those with the most strenght, the most speed, the best technique, the best hand-eye coordination or whatever. All too often people argue that whatever sports they enjoy are valid and those that they don't enjoy aren't, but to be among the best in ANY sport is a major achievement that requires lots of talent and countless hours of training.

Agree, but somebody in this thread was making fun of curling. That's why I was pointing out it's as physically demanding as many of the summer sports.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Agree, but somebody in this thread was making fun of curling. That's why I was pointing out it's as physically demanding as many of the summer sports.
I understand. BTW - anyone who thinks that curling is a piece of cake is free to try it himself and bring home the gold four years from now. :lol:

matthias
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
it´s equel

KournikovaFan91
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes an Olympic Medal is equal no matter what sport or discipline.

moby
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Do people not fight in the winter? I can't take any sports event on this level seriously unless there's fighting.
We need a combat sport at the Winter Olympics. I'm ready to be the best at skate-fencing. Just ask me for the rules.

barboza
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
What a stupid question.. An Olympic medal is an Olympic medal period. People all over the world compete to be the best in every sport.

barboza
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM

you need help

miffedmax
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Do people not fight in the winter? I can't take any sports event on this level seriously unless there's fighting.
We need a combat sport at the Winter Olympics. I'm ready to be the best at skate-fencing. Just ask me for the rules.

Short track.

canuckfan
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM

What about skate-taekwondo? The first one to chope the head of the other with his blade wins the fight.

moby
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Short track.It seems like that's actually against the rules though. Now if only they could incorporate that element into the actual event...

What about skate-taekwondo? The first one to chope the head of the other with his blade wins the fight.Good one. I wouldn't play this sport though. Skate-fencing is basically fencing for wusses (which is why I would be good at it). The idea is that you do twirls and spirals like in figure skating to get more points before you land your strike or your defensive block. I haven't completely worked out all the details, but if anyone is interested, we can work on this together and dominate the 2018 games.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Lindsey Vonn versus Julia Mancuso maybe. :lol: Skate Tennis would be an interesting event. :lol:

Nicolás89
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Curling gold?

:shrug:

Try to play it. :rolleyes:

moby
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Lindsey Vonn versus Julia Mancuso maybe. :lol: Skate Tennis would be an interesting event. :lol:The problem with Skate Tennis is that I can legitimately see Radwanska winning it.
On the other hand, this might get her out of actual tennis. Decisions, decisions, hmm...

RFSTB
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Even within the same Olympics, not all gold medals are created equal. In skiing, each skiier can win up to 5 gold medals. Nordic, speed skating, short track, ski jumping etc. all also have multiple golds. But in figure skating and all team sports, each competitor can only win 1 gold maximum. I'd say because of that, 1 gold in figure skating = 5 golds in skiing. There's also the prestige of the sport, a Curling gold does not get nearly as much attention as a Skiing gold or a figure skating gold.

In the Summer games, there's no limit on how many golds a swimmer can win, even though no one's won more than 8. Same in track & field, rowing, cycling etc. In gymnastics they can win up to 6 or 8 (Team, AA, 4 apparatus, 6 for men). But in team sports, you can only win 1. Prestige of the sport also counts. A gold in syncrhonized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics or trampoline is not valued as much as a Gymnastics AA gold.

I guess my point is, not all golds are created equal, but it has more to do with the sport than the Summer vs. Winter Games argument.

Joana
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Even within the same Olympics, not all gold medals are created equal. In skiing, each skiier can win up to 5 gold medals. Nordic, speed skating, short track, ski jumping etc. all also have multiple golds. But in figure skating and all team sports, each competitor can only win 1 gold maximum. I'd say because of that, 1 gold in figure skating = 5 golds in skiing. There's also the prestige of the sport, a Curling gold does not get nearly as much attention as a Skiing gold or a figure skating gold.

Winning the gold medal in both slalom and downhill would be a huge accomplishment, way bigger than winning a crappy contest in figure skating where the level of competition is going down all the time.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I think that winning a medal in an individual sport is always a great achievement. It's for a team sport also, but you can be a (relatively speaking) mediocre player of a great team and win the gold, and you can be the best player in the tournament, but if you play for a poor team you haven't gor a chance of winning anything.

LoveFifteen
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM

I have a TV that's five years old, and it's not high definition, and I can see the puck just fine.

LoveFifteen
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Max, you know I am a huge fan of you and your posts, but where did you get this info? Because unless you were just joking around, this info isn't true. I already knew that synchronized swimming was one of the most intense and exhausting sports out there so I had serious doubts.

According to this page (http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm), curling burns 281 calories per hour if you're 155 lbs. Tennis burns about 500 calories. Synchornized swimming burns 563 calories. Sailing in competition burns 352. Badminton almost 500.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
According to this page (http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm), curling burns 281 calories per hour if you're 155 lbs. Tennis burns about 500 calories. Synchornized swimming burns 563 calories. Sailing in competition burns 352. Badminton almost 500.
That's why unlike tennis players you never see those curling guys eat any bananas! :silly:

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Max, you know I am a huge fan of you and your posts, but where did you get this info? Because unless you were just joking around, this info isn't true. I already knew that synchronized swimming was one of the most intense and exhausting sports out there so I had serious doubts.

My source is this interview with John Morris of Canada, who claims a recent study shows curlers burn 600-700 calories a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/woly/Curling/18285362;_ylt=AoE0kGk.Bt6NBMRrwiMXVgslsrV_

Obviously, somebody's numbers are wrong, but I don't know whose.

So I compared his number a similar page to the one you found, but didn't have curling listed.

canuckfan
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:39 AM
My source is this interview with John Morris of Canada, who claims a recent study shows curlers burn 600-700 calories a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/woly/Curling/18285362;_ylt=AoE0kGk.Bt6NBMRrwiMXVgslsrV_

So I compared his number a similar page to the one you found, but didn't have curling listed.

Not really, a game takes about 2.5 hours.

So 281*2.5 = 702.5 cal.

PlayByPlay
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM
When I think about Olympics I think of Summer Olympics. Sometimes I don't even remember there is a Winter Olympics coming up. There are still a lot of people out there who probably don't even know that Winter Olympics exist. At the end of the day Winter Olympics is just Winter Olympics. While Summer Olympics is the Olympics.

Ryan
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM

Yeah, Curling games do take longer than an hour. I have a feeling the front end burn way more than 300 an hour though, with some of the *intense* sweeping they do.

Some sports are more physical than others, some are more mental - but they're all worth the same IMO. You can split hairs, but the difference between a downhill skiing Gold and an Aerial Gold is very marginal. They both count as ONE medal, and more importantly it all depends on where the country excels. The Aussies, I'm sure, are just as stoked about their Gold in women's aerials as Austria/USA is about a skiing or figure skating gold.

Oh, and the point of this thread? Of course a Winter Olympic medal is worth just as much as a summer one. :weirdo:

Not every country has balmy weather and outdoor tracks to run on, or the perfect climate/air to train for marathons - does that mean a medal in the marathon or whatever isn't FAIR? No. Different sports, different countries, different athletes, different strengths, different weaknesses. Thats sport in a nuthsell, and why so many people love it. :drool:

Ryan
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM
When I think about Olympics I think of Summer Olympics. Sometimes I don't even remember there is a Winter Olympics coming up. There are still a lot of people out there who probably don't even know that Winter Olympics exist. At the end of the day Winter Olympics is just Winter Olympics. While Summer Olympics is the Olympics.

Sorry, people who don't even know the Winter Olympics exist, and don't like in abject poverty or under a big ass rock are morons.

Apoleb
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Synchronized swimming is like the figure skating of the summer Olympics. Intensely athletic and artistic at the same time. Because it looks "weird", people dismiss it for no reason. Not that I think breaking a sweat is a valid requirement for a competition to be valid. And I wouldn't be surprised if the TT top 20 is on average fitter than the WTA's. :tape:

As for the question, it's pretty stupid. The attention any competition gets, either in the winter or summer OG, varies greatly with location with some being just more prestigious all-around like athletics.

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Not really, a game takes about 2.5 hours.

So 281*2.5 = 702.5 cal.

Well then it's my bad, because I didn't take that into account, as I went with the 75 minutes in an Olympic match, which would have compared to roughly an hour of the other sports.

Of course, a lot of the events I cited don't actually go anywhere near an hour, either, so my basic point remains vaild--curling is a respectable workout when all is said an done.

And I wasn't trying to insult any of the other sports I picked, just trying to pick a spread of other representative summer sports, so all you SS fans can calm down.

Ryan
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah Max, I wouldn't defend yourself - Curling gets enough heat from people that things like SS can suck it up and take criticism. ;) Your point about them lasting less than an hour is valid as well, never thought of it that way.

ys
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Apart from tennis, track and field and some game sports, there is hardly a single summer olympic sport that I would ever watched outside of Olympic context. In winter sports, it's just about every sport, other than races of malicious dwarfs ( aka shortrack ). So, I'd prefer medal of White Olympics easily..

hablo
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Silly question.

It's an incredible achievement to win a medal wether it be in Summer or Winter. :shrug:

Xian
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM
as somebody said only people from countries which don´t compete would say sth else - and nobody cares about those countries ;)

Pasta-Na
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:16 AM
as somebody said only people from countries which don´t compete would say sth else - and nobody cares about those countries ;)

:help:

azdaja
Feb 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM
the question is silly. medals are equal. winter sports are practiced in fewer countries, but by the same logic you could dismiss plenty of sports at the summer olympics as well. there are events that most people register only in the medal tally at both events.

summer olympics is a much much bigger event though. not only is it truely global in its appeal and participation, you get to see sports which are for the most part practiced all year long. the word "summer" in "summer olympics" does not exactly play the same role as the word "winter" in "winter olympics". but that doesn't take away from success of the athletes at either event.

ptitnavet
Feb 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Of course ! You can't despise winter sports athletes in comparison with others athletes.
A sport is a sport !

LoveFifteen
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Bitches! :lol:

I have seen documentaries on synchronized swimming where they have professional athletes try to keep up with workout that the swimmers do, and the athletes are completely and totally exhausted beyond comprehension. Synchronized swimming requires unbelievable amounts of athletic fitness and endurance. The unfit heifers populating the WTA top 20 would sooner die than get half that fit! :lol:

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but things like that are almost always a case of "Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly." You take someone who's trained and trained and trained to play, say, soccer, and have them do a boxer's routine, and yeah, they're going to be winded in a hurry. Or have a wrestler do a biathlete's workout, and he'll look pretty stupid. It says more about the highly specialized way athletes train than it does about the relative physical demands of a sport.

LoveFifteen
Feb 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but things like that are almost always a case of "Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly." You take someone who's trained and trained and trained to play, say, soccer, and have them do a boxer's routine, and yeah, they're going to be winded in a hurry. Or have a wrestler do a biathlete's workout, and he'll look pretty stupid. It says more about the highly specialized way athletes train than it does about the relative physical demands of a sport.

Yes, definitely, but SS is a truly rigorous discipline, and people mocking it as some sort of silly, easy splish-splash. I am not even a huge fan, but it's constantly knocked, just like curling, and it's not like golf, where you can be a fat smoker and still win Majors.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, definitely, but SS is a truly rigorous discipline, and people mocking it as some sort of silly, easy splish-splash. I am not even a huge fan, but it's constantly knocked, just like curling, and it's not like golf, where you can be a fat smoker and still win Majors.
On the other hand - you can eat all the apples in the world and drink a glass of milk everyday and still not be able to hit that damned golfball into the freaking hole. That's why we have all those different sports - each one of them requiring a different kind of talent.

miss_molik
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
A sport is a sport, and a winter olympic event is still a collection of the best athletes in that field. It is still a matter of reaching the top of your sport.

Vartan
Feb 27th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Of course they do.

rockstar
Feb 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Sorry, people who don't even know the Winter Olympics exist, and don't like in abject poverty or under a big ass rock are morons.

many tropical countries without winter aren't even familiar with winter sports let alone the winter olympics. seeing you're from canada, i can understand why you woulf feel that way though. but yeah, i would think to most people i know

winter olympics = winter olympics
summer olympics = the olympics

Vartan
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:02 AM
You are disrespecting all the winter sport athletes with your comments.

Vartan
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:14 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=077_1266518913

Mistress of Evil
Mar 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Not sure. Everybody knows who Michael Phelphs is and that's not the case when mentioning Ole Einar Bjørndalen.:shrug:

Kart
Mar 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Is gold not gold in winter ?

Keegan
Mar 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I think the SO sparks more craze than the WO, but a gold medal is a gold medal. It's very prestigious, no matter what event you compete in.

Lin Lin
Feb 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM
no :o

Really?:o

tennisbum79
Feb 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Well, Winter Olympics a really a white people Olympic Games.
It was not part of the original Olympic Games
In fact,in the 1900, there few attempts to add winter games to the olympic, but they all fail.

Ironically, there was a competition of wintrer sports, appropriately named Nordic Games and the organizers of the Nordic Game did not want to be part of the Olympic Games, because they argue, Olympic venue would not have the facility to accomodate the winter sports the Nordic Games venues have been able to.
The official first Winter Olympics game were held in 1924, following a trial of winter sports featuring figure skating and an ice hockey tournament were inclduing in the Summer Olymics of 1920.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 15th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Its no different than people saying the Australian Open and French Open aren't equal to Wimbledon and the US Open. RG and Oz weren't of the same caliber and status of the other two for quite sometime, especially the Australian Open- nor do they have the same long history. Most pros didn't even bother making the trip to Australia till the late 80's when it really starting gaining more prestige.

But fast-forward to present day and no one would argue against them all being equal. Winning Wimbledon doesn't trump winning Roland Garos! So while its true that they were not always of equal value, today they are more or less looked at as equal. And lets all remember that the Winter Olympics have ICE DANCING and summer Olympics have freakin' HORSE DANCING....lol

saint2
Feb 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
TBH, all winter (except hockey) and summer (except basketball and tennis+ some marketable individual sports) medals are useless...I mean, is there a SINGLE person in the world who cares about hammer throwing ?

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Its no different than people saying the Australian Open and French Open aren't equal to Wimbledon and the US Open. RG and Oz weren't of the same caliber and status of the other two for quite sometime, especially the Australian Open- nor do they have the same long history. Most pros didn't even bother making the trip to Australia till the late 80's when it really starting gaining more prestige.

But fast-forward to present day and no one would argue against them all being equal. Winning Wimbledon doesn't trump winning Roland Garos! So while its true that they were not always of equal value, today they are more or less looked at as equal. And lets all remember that the Winter Olympics have ICE DANCING and summer Olympics have freakin' HORSE DANCING....lol

Seperate but equal! :angel:

tennisbum79
Feb 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Seperate but equal! :angel:
There is nothing like summer olympics.
The stars who merged from the summer game are household names all around the world.
There no comparable electricity and anticipation as the one the suround track & field competition in
100 meter
4X100
4X400

Swimming

Незнайка
Feb 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Strange question, of course they are equal.

August
Feb 15th, 2014, 09:59 PM
For sure some sports get more attention, 100m sprint gets more attention than e.g. fencing, and I dare to say that even some of the winter sports, e.g. hockey or downhill, get more attention than fencing. But if we assume that medals' from every sport are equal, then I wouldn't make a difference between summer and winter medals. Actually, a combined medal table of last summer and winter games would be nice.

TBH, all winter (except hockey) and summer (except basketball and tennis+ some marketable individual sports) medals are useless...I mean, is there a SINGLE person in the world who cares about hammer throwing ?

I care. At the Olympics more than about tennis.

wild.river
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:14 PM
i can sorta see why a summer olympics medal would be considered more valuable. most people on earth can't do the winter sports simply due to climate. everyone can run or swim.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:35 PM
The stars who merged from the summer game are household names all around the world.
There no comparable electricity and anticipation as the one the suround track & field competition in
100 meter
4X100
4X400

Swimming

A lot of what Ur proclaiming as fact is subjective- not "everyone" cares about the 100 meter, hell im an Olympic nut and I dont know from the top of my head who even won that event last year. Of course its likely i know the name of the individual once i hear it.

Michelle Kwan was as big as anyone from the summer games and that goes double for Nancy Kerigan. I think its obvious that the summer games have more events that you care about, and maybe even more sports superstars but I still dont think anyone from the winter games views their gold inferior to that of the gold from the summer games.

I agree with most in this thread that winning a medal at either game is comparable and an equal achievement- really surprised u dont agree...

wild.river
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
A lot of what Ur proclaiming as fact is subjective- not "everyone" cares about the 100 meter, hell im an Olympic nut and I dont know from the top of my head who even won that event last year. Of course its likely i know the name of the individual once i hear it.

Michelle Kwan was as big as anyone from the summer games and that goes double for Nancy Kerigan. I think its obvious that the summer games have more events that you care about, and maybe even more sports superstars but I still dont think anyone from the winter games views their gold inferior to that of the gold from the summer games.

I agree with most in this thread that winning a medal at either game is comparable and an equal achievement- really surprised u dont agree...

usain bolt...

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Well hahaha yeah i definitely heard of him. But he's more famous than his event. I know tons of athletes like Shaun White, Michael Phelps and so on and i know what sports they compete in but i definitely couldn't tell u the events.

tennisbum79
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Well hahaha yeah i definitely heard of him. But he's more famous than his event. I know tons of athletes like Shaun White, Michael Phelps and so on and i know what sports they compete in but i definitely couldn't tell u the events.
That event has always been famous, regadless of who had won.
Winning it makes you famous.
Even in non-olympics, in world championship of track & field these 100, 200 meters winners continue to be famous until the next olympics.

pov
Feb 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Of course they're all just as valid. If "most popular" is the only measure of a sport then anyone not playing football(soccer) is wasting their time. I don't get why there are so many who think the value of sports success is based on celebrity.

Timariot
Feb 16th, 2014, 05:58 PM
100 meter
4X100
4X400

Swimming

Many winter sports have very successful professional tours which tends to make Olympics for them relatively less big deal: any World Cup competition in Slalom, cross-country or ski jumping has almost same field of athletes as Olympic final, so what makes Olympics in that discipline special? Well, it's mostly tradition. In newer sports like snowboarding, Olympics just aren't such a big deal. Situation is similar compared to tennis: Olympic tennis tournament is not the strongest, in fact it's much weaker field-wise than about ~20 other tournaments held in same year.

By contrast, in track & field the Olympics are by far the biggest event. Sad truth is that even biggest track & field stars gather little attention outside Olympics. Athletics equivalent of "World Cup" - the Diamond League - has poor attendance and crappy TV ratings. Even Usain Bolt is not such a big draw outside of Olympics.

N.M.
Feb 16th, 2014, 06:49 PM
oh great suddenly poland becomes relevant in winter olympics after a century of nothing and already people start diminishing these medals value :hysteric:

Mynarco
Feb 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
SO get much extensive coverage than WO, hence more importance is weighed on the medals won.

But that doesn't mean any achievements made at WO to be disregarded.

Sammo
Feb 16th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Sure, if they're about irrelevant sports...

tennisbum79
Feb 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Sure, if they're about irrelevant sports...

Too harsh; irrelevant in part of world where no one care about winter sport.

In fact, theseWinter Olympic game is an outgrow of what used to be called Nordic Games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Games

If the name is suggestive, it was intended.
In fact,the Nordic Games organizers did not trust the IOC, which back then only put on summer sports, to do justice to winter sports by including them in the Olympics.

Jeff
Feb 16th, 2014, 08:44 PM
They are equal, although sometimes I feel like a lot of winter sports are too unpredictable and require more luck. By luck, I mean that sometimes just something like the weather can change the outcome of results or biased judging.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Too harsh; irrelevant in part of world where no one care about winter sport.

In fact, theseWinter Olympic game is an outgrow of what used to be called Nordic Games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Games

If the name is suggestive, it was intended.
In fact,the Nordic Games organizers did not trust the IOC, which back then only put on summer sports, to do justice to winter sports by including them in the Olympics.

Everybody and everything has a past, that was my point comparing the winter games to the Australian Open, but fast-forward to present day and things are looked at totally different. Whatever the winter games used to be they have gained so much more popularity that by most (as witnessed through the comments here), they are now viewed in the same light as the summer games. They might not have had the prestige they have now in the PAST, but the point is they do NOW.

tennisbum79
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Everybody and everything has a past, that was my point comparing the winter games to the Australian Open, but fast-forward to present day and things are looked at totally different. Whatever the winter games used to be they have gained so much more popularity that by most (as witnessed through the comments here), they are now viewed in the same light as the summer games. They might not have had the prestige they have now in the PAST, but the point is they do NOW.
I was not rebutting your post.

I was trying to exaplain why countries with no wintery season have absolutely no connection to the winter olympics.

To the mind of many in thoe countries, winter olympic are white people olympics.
They don't even bother to watch these games.

So ask yourself, do you think for these people, a winter olympic medal is as coveted as a summer olympic medal?

I take your point about the Australian Open beind comapred to Wimbledon,.
In facy I made this same point before in a thread about an eventual China 5th Grand Slam while others were agruing for tradition sake, there should not be a 5th slam.
Brief. However, I don't think comparison applies here.

I am not seeking to change any minds here.
I am well aware that all the people in this thread, not only love the winter games, but also do not share the experiences of people in countries with no-winter season.

Timariot
Feb 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I was not rebutting your post.

I was trying to exaplain why countries with no wintery season have absolutely no connection to the winter olympics.

To the mind of many in thoe countries, winter olympic are white people olympics.
They don't even bother to watch these games.

So ask yourself, do you think for these people, a winter olympic medal is as coveted as a summer olympic medal?

Summer olympics have huge amounts of events. Few of them have 'universal' following like say, soccer - and funnily enough, few people give a crap about soccer Olympic tournament. In fact, summer olympics probably have MORE events you could characterize as "white people sports" than winter olympics. Just how many people in Kenia or Paraguay are going to care about sailing? Or most swimming events? Or Greco-Roman wrestling? Or modern pentathlon? And so on. Even those sports which create worldwide interest like some athletics track events, have just as many, if not less, potential medal winning countries than most winter sports. Field at say, cross-country skiing is just as strong as in distance running (where Kenyans win 60% medals, and most of the rest are won by Ethiopia).

tennisbum79
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Summer olympics have huge amounts of events. Few of them have 'universal' following like say, soccer - and funnily enough, few people give a crap about soccer Olympic tournament. In fact, summer olympics probably have MORE events you could characterize as "white people sports" than winter olympics. Just how many people in Kenia or Paraguay are going to care about sailing? Or most swimming events? Or Greco-Roman wrestling? Or modern pentathlon? And so on. Even those sports which create worldwide interest like some athletics track events, have just as many, if not less, potential medal winning countries than most winter sports. Field at say, cross-country skiing is just as strong as in distance running (where Kenyans win 60% medals, and most of the rest are won by Ethiopia).
As I said, I was not trying to convince anybody here for the reason I stated.

Let me put this way, while a great majority of the winter olympics audience is familiar with summer solympics, the maority of non-winter olympics countries are neither familiar nor intersted in winter olympics.
I can't speak for Paraguay, but I am pretty sure that people in Kenya and ( the rest of sub-sahara Africa) undertsands sailing, canooing, swimming, wrestling and the events that make up the pentathlon.
Some the schools have these events, they are just not good enough to compete at international level.

As for the distance running, I am not sure what your point it.
Yes, the Kenyans, Ethiopians(East Africans in general) dominate those events, it does not mean other countries are not interested.

Aain I am not denying cross-country skiin is not strong, I am statting that those countries with winter no winter season have no inetrest in watching them.
They don't even show the winter games on TV.

One thing I agree with you is football (soccer).
Until recently, most countries who take the sport serioulsy had no interest in Olympics soccer, but that is changing, alhtough it far from reashing the World Cup level.
But I still do not get your point on mentioning soccer.

Again, I am not trying to convince anyone here, I am just throwing something out there to give another perspective.

Vartan
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I think that only the people from countries that are not strong in the winter sports would say no.

Timariot
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:50 PM
As I said, I was not trying to convince anybody here for the reason I stated.

Let me put this way, while a great majority of the winter olympics audience is familiar with summer solympics, the maority of non-winter olympics countries are neither familiar nor intersted in winter olympics.
I can't speak for Paraguay, but I am pretty sure that people in Kenya and ( the rest of sub-sahara Africa) undertsands sailing, canooing, swimming, wrestling and the events that make up the pentathlon.
Some the schools have these events, they are just not good enough to compete at international level.

Sorry but this is gross overgeneralization. The fact that some obscure sports are placed in summer olympics does not make them 'more prestigious'. Sports like cycling, sailing, riding, fencing etc. are just as if not more alien to vast majority of the world population as slalom or ski jumping. Many of those sports are incredibly expensive: you need a bicycle worth $20,000, or horse worth $50,000, or sailboat worth $100,000 just to have a chance to practice - and that's before the running expenses...when you consider that, it starts to look pretty irrelevant whether your country has snow or not.

Sure, some summer Olympic sports have more worldwide prestige than any winter sport - although those are not necessarily well linked to overall popularity of the sport, hence my soccer example: 100m sprint is pretty unpopular sport, but gets huge attention in Olympics, whereas soccer it is other way around. And say, basketball Olympic tournament is bigger worldwide than it's biggest winter equivalent, Olympic ice hockey tournament (though difference is not as big as some may think).

But the fact is that Olympic gold medallist in biathlon or slalom gets more prestige, endorsements and worldwide media attention than 95% of summer olympics gold medallists. Sure, Martin Fourcade might not be as big as Usain Bolt - but he is certainly bigger star than whoever who won 1000m kayak or modern pentathlon in London.

tennisbum79
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I think that only the people from countries that are not strong in the winter sports would say no.
I don't know about that
But certainly countries with NO winter sports at all.... as result of their geographic location in the world

tennisbum79
Feb 16th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Sorry but this is gross overgeneralization. The fact that some obscure sports are placed in summer olympics does not make them 'more prestigious'. Sports like cycling, sailing, riding, fencing etc. are just as if not more alien to vast majority of the world population as slalom or ski jumping. Many of those sports are incredibly expensive: you need a bicycle worth $20,000, or horse worth $50,000, or sailboat worth $100,000 just to have a chance to practice - and that's before the running expenses...when you consider that, it starts to look pretty irrelevant whether your country has snow or not.

Sure, some summer Olympic sports have more worldwide prestige than any winter sport - although those are not necessarily well linked to overall popularity of the sport, hence my soccer example: 100m sprint is pretty unpopular sport, but gets huge attention in Olympics, whereas soccer it is other way around. And say, basketball Olympic tournament is bigger worldwide than it's biggest winter equivalent, Olympic ice hockey tournament (though difference is not as big as some may think).

But the fact is that Olympic gold medallist in biathlon or slalom gets more prestige, endorsements and worldwide media attention than 95% of summer olympics gold medallists. Sure, Martin Fourcade might not be as big as Usain Bolt - but he is certainly bigger star than whoever who won 1000m kayak or modern pentathlon in London.

OK you've made your point, I have made mine.
We will not agree on this.

WonderFan
Feb 17th, 2014, 02:24 AM
:spit:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 17th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I like Summer better as many of the sports I participate in are included. However, a winter medal is just as valuable

GoofyDuck
Feb 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Equal of course.