PDA

View Full Version : JLO Homeless: Was Jennifer Lopez's breakup with Sony as friendly as she claims?

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:14 AM
http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/02/was-jennifer-lopezs-breakup-with-sony-as-friendly-as-she-claims.html

Jennifer Lopez confirmed her split with Sony recording label Epic Records today (Feb. 24), but rumors have been circulating all week that the label hasn't loved her for a while.

"I have belonged to the Sony family since the beginning of my career as a singer and together we've had great success," Lopez says in a statement to media. "I have fulfilled my contractual responsibilities with Sony/Epic up to this point and we have both reached friendly terms about my departure from the label."

While the singer claims the breakup was "friendly," sources have been telling the media that Sony was ready to send her packing.

"[Sony Music executives] aren't sure who her audience is anymore," a source told Deadline.com. "Where once she had little girls, she's been supplanted by Beyonce, Gaga, and Rhianna. Lots of fighting going on between [her manager] Benny Medina, who, of course, is spending their money like it's 10 years ago, and the label."

"Loubitons," the first single released from her upcoming new album, "Love," did well on Billboard's Club List (currently it's #13 according to Billboard.com), but not on Billboard's radio airplay tallies.

That just isn't a good sign for Jennifer Lopez's impending new album release. Sources tell the New York Daily News that Epic/Sony were just not willing to take the gamble.

"Jennifer hasn't been on top of her game for a while," the site's source says.

While Lopez didn't say which label she's moving to, reports range from Island Def Jam Records (Mariah Carey and Kanye West's label) to possibly releasing the album online.

Despite the breakup, Sony still owns rights to Lopez's song catalog and it's reported they're moving toward a more affordable route: A greatest hits album.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I'll be the first to admit that i loved her kitschy single 'Louboutins'...fall and all ;). However, it always seemed a bit odd that she would release not 1, but 2 digi singles ( Fresh Out Of The Oven being the 2nd ;) ) without a solid release date for the full length cd. Well, Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be). I really hope her 'LOVE' cd finds a label home soon.

Mynarco
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I am a fan of J Lo but hate to to say this, J Lo hasn't made a good album for like 10 years.

The Witch-king
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I am a fan of J Lo but hate to to say this, J Lo hasn't made a good album.

True.

~{X}~
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I liked her "Brave" album actually. I thought it was her best one since J.Lo, but it never got any airplay.

youizahoe
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Brave album was great, but as many say, she's not in the competition anymore.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Loubotins (Cutmore Mix) saved even the club mixes because they were going NOWHERE until then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCFQw0AC2s

It's the power pick in the latest Billboard Club charts and it should go to number one.
Problem is now that Jennifer has no album to promote (no way in hell Sony is going to just hand over the rights to the songs to Def Jam IF LA Reid signs here that is) what is she going to sing on SNL this weekend. :help: :lol: :haha: :lol:

Honestly if she was smart, give into her club diva persona and do Louboutins (The Cutmore Mix) and I guess one of her classics (I would say Fresh Out The Oven but that song was stale to begin with).

Kart
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM
She needs to wise up and appear in a movie to boost her profile.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM

She has a new movie called The Back-Up Plan coming out April 23rd...

Here's the trailer >> http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2375943193/ ;)

youizahoe
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM
she should have done the cell 2 :( :( :(

Kart
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Ok when did she start to think she can carry a movie on her own ?

I was thinking more something with a Hollywood A-list star to get her name out there again.

Not some predictable romantic comedy that'll go straight to DVD.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Ok when did she start to think she can carry a movie on her own ?

I was thinking more something with a Hollywood A-list star to get her name out there again.

Not some predictable romantic comedy that'll go straight to DVD.

I guess she has to take whats offered to her nowadays :p. Btw, i have no idea how wide of a release this movie will get, but it will be released theatrically through CBS Films on April 23rd ;).

Daniel K
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
She'll sing What Is Love? on SNL which is a single from her new movie. I really wanted to hear the Danja tracks now they'll never see the light of day.

PlayByPlay
Feb 26th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Well Jlo needs to step her game up if she wants to compete with the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga. I mean look at Madonna she is still doing her thing.

Dandy_Warhol
Feb 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I am a fan of J Lo but hate to to say this, J Lo hasn't made a good album for like 10 years.

this

problem is, she makes awfully bad choices and i don't think she has the same following as before :shrug:

Mynarco
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
the songs that are still on my playlist are : Love don' cost a thing, No Me Ames(NOT SALSA VERSION), Let's get loud, and Ain't it Funny..her songs after these are just friggin' horrible

_Cell-chuk
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM
She'll sing What Is Love? on SNL which is a single from her new movie. I really wanted to hear the Danja tracks now they'll never see the light of day.

'What Is Love?' is a mixture of Nelly Furtado's 'All Good Things Come To An End' and Gaga's 'Poker Face'.

The resemblances are just :eek: