PDA

View Full Version : Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch

Rocketta
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer Mike Schneider, Associated Press Writer 6 mins ago

ORLANDO, Fla. – A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer from a poolside platform Wednesday in its jaws and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

Distraught audience members were hustled out of the stadium immediately, and the park was closed.

Trainer Dawn Brancheau, 40, was one of the park's most experienced. Her sister said Brancheau wouldn't want anything done to the whale that killed her because she loved the animals like children.

Brancheau was rubbing Tilikum after a noontime show when the 12,000-pound whale grabbed her and pulled her in, said Chuck Tompkins, head of animal training at all SeaWorld parks. It was not clear if she drowned or died from the thrashing.

Because of his size and the previous deaths, trainers were not supposed to get into the water with Tilikum, and only about a dozen of the park's 29 trainers worked with him. Brancheau had more experience with the 30-year-old whale than most.

"We recognized he was different," Tompkins said. He said no decision has been made yet about what will happen to Tilikum, such as transfering him to another facility.

A retired couple from Michigan told The Associated Press that they were among some stragglers in the audience who had stayed to watch the animals and trainers.
Eldon Skaggs, 72, said Brancheau's interaction with the whale appeared leisurely and informal at first. But then the whale "pulled her under and started swimming around with her," he said.

Skaggs said an alarm sounded and staff rushed the audience out of the stadium as workers scrambled around with nets.

Skaggs said he heard that during an earlier show the whale was not responding to directions. Others who attended the earlier show said the whale was behaving like an ornery child.

The couple left and didn't find out until later that the trainer had died.
"We were just a little bit stunned," said Skaggs' wife, Sue Nichols, 67.
Another audience member, Victoria Biniak, told WKMG-TV the whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off."

Two other witnesses told the Orlando Sentinel that the whale grabbed the woman by the upper arm and tossed her around in its mouth while swimming rapidly around the tank. Brazilian tourist Joao Lucio DeCosta Sobrinho and his girlfriend were at an underwater viewing area when they suddenly saw a whale with a person in its mouth.

The couple said they watched the whale show at the park two days earlier and came back to take pictures. But on Wednesday the whales appeared agitated.

"It was terrible. It's very difficult to see the image," Sobrinho said.
A SeaWorld spokesman said Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer in 1991 after the woman lost her balance and fell in the pool at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia.

Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.

Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.

Later Wednesday, SeaWorld in San Diego also suspended its killer whale show. It was not clear if the killer whale show has been suspended at SeaWorld's San Antonio location, which is closed until the weekend.

According to a profile of Brancheau in the Sentinel in 2006, she was one of SeaWorld Orlando's leading trainers. It was a trip to SeaWorld at age 9 that made her want to follow that career path. Dawn was the youngest of six children who grew up near Cedar Lake, Ind.

"I remember walking down the aisle (of Shamu Stadium) and telling my mom, 'This is what I want to do,'" she said in the article.

Brancheau worked her way into a leadership role at Shamu Stadium during her career with SeaWorld, starting at the Sea Lion & Otter Stadium before spending 10 years working with killer whales, the newspaper said.
She also addressed the dangers of the job.

"You can't put yourself in the water unless you trust them and they trust you," Brancheau said.

Brancheau's older sister, Diane Gross, said the trainer "would not want anything done to that whale."

The trainer was married and didn't have children.

"She loved the whales like her children, she loved all of them," said Gross, of Schererville, Ind. "They all had personalities, good days and bad days."
Gross said the family viewed her sister's death as an unfortunate accident, adding: "It just hasn't sunk in yet."

Steve McCulloch, founder and program manager at the Marine Mammal Research and Conservation Program at Harbor Branch/Florida Atlantic University, said the whale may have been playing, but it is too early to tell.
"I wouldn't jump to conclusions," he said. "These are very large powerful marine mammals. They exhibit this type of behavior in the wild.

Tompkins, the SeaWorld head trainer, said of the whale: "We have no idea what was going through his head."

Mike Wald, a spokesman for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration office in Atlanta, said his agency had dispatched an investigator from Tampa.

Wednesday's death was not the first attack on whale trainers at SeaWorld parks.

In November 2006, a trainer was bitten and held underwater several times by a killer whale during a show at SeaWorld's San Diego park.

The trainer, Kenneth Peters, escaped with a broken foot. The 17-foot orca that attacked him was the dominant female of SeaWorld San Diego's seven killer whales. She had attacked Peters two other times, in 1993 and 1999.
In 2004, another whale at the company's San Antonio park tried to hit one of the trainers and attempted to bite him. He also escaped.

Wednesday's attack was the second time in two months that an orca trainer was killed at a marine park. On Dec. 24, 29-year-old Alexis Martinez Hernandez fell from a whale and crushed his ribcage at Loro Parque on the Spanish island of Tenerife. Park officials said the whale, a 14-year-old named Keto, made an unusual move as the two practiced a trick in which the whale lifts the trainer and leaps into the air.
___
Associated Press writers Lisa Orkin Emmanuel, Laura Wides-Munoz and David Fischer in Miami, Tamara Lush in St. Petersburg and Jeremy Hainsworth in Vancouver, British Columbia, contributed to this report.

Wiggly
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Whales DON'T belong in parks.

Ellery
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM
:sad: That's awful.

Wigglytuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
ummm... killer whales are smart, bad tempered, KILLER animals (thats why they are called killer whales because they kill things, usually seals, for food and sometimes fun) and really should not be used in shows like this. it is a danger to human life. and this particular whale seems have had a problem...

i dont think the whale needs to be "put down" but killer animals and "Tricks" should NEVER be mixed. these kinds of shows should be stopped, they are dangerous and pointless.

Wigglytuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM

definately not KILLER whales... what with the killerness and all..

canuckfan
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:40 AM

A killer whale is a dolphin though ;)

Anyway RIP to the poor trainer.

hingisGOAT
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:39 AM
okay so this whale has killed 3 people? i love whales as much as the next guy, and also i dont think they should be in captivity in the first place, but it is def time to give this whale a shotgun blast to the face

kris719
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM
ummm... killer whales are smart, bad tempered, KILLER animals (thats why they are called killer whales because they kill things, usually seals, for food and sometimes fun) and really should not be used in shows like this. it is a danger to human life. and this particular whale seems have had a problem...

i dont think the whale needs to be "put down" but killer animals and "Tricks" should NEVER be mixed. these kinds of shows should be stopped, they are dangerous and pointless.

actually they're called orchas

Mrs. Dimitrova
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I think all these people who gets killed by wild animals in the parks deserves it, it has happened a lot. These animals are NOT supposed to be put there in the first place anyway.

rockstar
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think all these people who gets killed by wild animals in the parks deserves it, it has happened a lot. These animals are NOT supposed to be put there in the first place anyway.

what bullshit.

Goai
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thought this was some interesting info:

Note: From Wikipedia (which is a useful although somewhat dubious)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilikum_%28whale%29#Tilikum

Tilikum, sometimes misspelled Tillikum, is a bull Orca who lives at SeaWorld Orlando. He was captured near Iceland in November 1983 at about two years of age. Tillikum measures 22 feet 6 inches long and weighs in at 12,300 pounds (as of 2007). His pectoral fins are six and one half feet long, his massive flukes curl under, and his 6-foot-tall dorsal fin is flopped completely to his left side, and weighs close to 200 pounds. He is the largest Orca in captivity and also the most successful sire in captivity, with 13 offspring, 10 of which are still alive. His name means friend in Chinook Jargon, usually spelled Tillicum and also meaning "people/tribe" or "kin".

Tillikum was first sent to live at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia. There, he lived with two older females named Haida II and Nootka IV. While living in British Columbia, Tilikum sired his first calf when he was about eight or nine years old. His first son, Kyuquot, was born to Haida II on December 24, 1991. Just a few months prior to the birth of Kyuquot, Tilikum was involved in an incident which resulted in the death of a trainer. Twenty-year-old Keltie Byrne, who worked at the park, slipped and fell into the tank with the whales. Tillikum, a pregnant Haida II, and Nootka IV grabbed her in their mouths and tossed her to each other, presumably playing. Keltie drowned. The orcas had never had humans in the water with them before. Haida II and Nootka IV were overprotective of the newborn calf and aggressive towards Tillikum, who was forced into the small medical pool. Because of his huge size, Seaworld requested an emergency transfer to their facility. Tilikum was moved to SeaWorld Orlando, Florida in January 9, 1992; he has been there ever since. Sealand of the Pacific closed soon thereafter.

Since his arrival at SeaWorld, Tilikum has sired many calves with many different females. His first calf, born in Orlando, was to Katina. Katina gave birth to Taku on September 9, 1993. Tillikum's other calves are: Nyar (born 1993, died 1996), Unna (1996), Sumar (1998), Tuar (1999), Tekoa (2000), Nakai (2001), Kohana (2002), Ikaika (2002), Skyla (2004), and Malia (2007). In 1999, Tillikum began training for artificial insemination (AI). In early 2000, Kasatka who resides at SeaWorld San Diego was artificially inseminated using his sperm. She gave birth to Tillikum's son, Nakai, on September 1, 2001. On May 3, 2002, another female in San Diego, named Takara, bore Tilikum's calf through artificial insemination.

Tilikum was at the scene of another death on July 6, 1999, though evidence suggests the Orca may not have been at fault. A 27-year-old man was found floating naked in Tilikum’s pool, apparently killed by a combination of hypothermia and drowning. He had visited SeaWorld the previous day, stayed after the park closed, and evaded security to enter the Orca tank.[34] Investigators determined that the man, either before or after death, had been bitten by Tillikum.

Tilikum never takes part in water work with trainers, not necessarily due to aggression, but because he doesn't necessarily realize his own strength.[citation needed] Tilikum is the feature of the show "Believe" where the audience and trainers chant "Shamu" as Tillikum soaks the audience.[35]

On February 24th, 2010 Tilikum was involved in a third incident, when a 40-year-old experienced trainer was killed. The trainer drowned following a popular Dine with Shamu show as at least two dozen tourists looked on from above a whale tank and from an underwater viewing area. SeaWorld executive Chuck Tompkins confirmed what witnesses saw, that the trainer was pulled into the water by Tilikum. The trainer was finishing up a session with Tilikum, the largest whale in SeaWorld's collection and its only mature male, following the Dine with Shamu show."

=============

In another article, it states that it is captive killer whales not only are more susceptible to physical deformities, but those that were not born into captivity display more aggression to people and other whales. This is due to the stress of living in a small tank.

Those born into captivity also have problems, such as having a low life span.

Maybe orcas are not suitable for these environments at all, and the practice should be stopped.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Feb 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
what bullshit.

:lol:

Donny
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM

No; actually, they are called killer whales. Orca is the Latin name and it used by people who don't think the term Killer Whale is representative of the animal.

Wigglytuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM

u r a retard.... yeah no one calls them killer whales.... :lol: :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
okay so this whale has killed 3 people? i love whales as much as the next guy, and also i dont think they should be in captivity in the first place, but it is def time to give this whale a shotgun blast to the face

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
What a stupid and fucked up comment. This is an animal taken away from it's natural habitat and trained to do things that pretty much isn't natural for them. Any behavioral issues this killer whale may have was caused by humans. Is it fair to blame the whale for this death? No.

Andreas
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM

What a horrible thing to say.

Martian Martin
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Really sad story :sad:

But you have to wonder why killer whales are put in this environment. You can tame creatures like this only so far and there will always be the predator instinct about them, no matter what.

Optima
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Whales, and many other animals don't belong in these parks. Duh.

moby
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
What a stupid and fucked up comment. This is an animal taken away from it's natural habitat and trained to do things that pretty much isn't natural for them. Any behavioral issues this killer whale may have was caused by humans. Is it fair to blame the whale for this death? No.This is true for murderers too, so... :shrug:
I think all these people who gets killed by wild animals in the parks deserves it, it has happened a lot. These animals are NOT supposed to be put there in the first place anyway.That's retarded.

Anyway, they should just release the whale back into the wild. I would have done that after the first incident. :weirdo:

meyerpl
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
What a stupid and fucked up comment. This is an animal taken away from it's natural habitat and trained to do things that pretty much isn't natural for them. Any behavioral issues this killer whale may have was caused by humans. Is it fair to blame the whale for this death? No.Absolutely correct.

Nicolás89
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Whales, and many other animals don't belong in these parks. Duh.

There's no animal who belong in those parks. :shrug:

Optima
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
There's no animal who belong in those parks. :shrug:

Basically.

Nicolás89
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM
:o Some posters are so stupid, killer whales kill your fun, yeah right. :rolleyes:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
This is true for murderers too, so... :shrug:
That's retarded.

Anyway, they should just release the whale back into the wild. I would have done that after the first incident. :weirdo:
Well, that's the difference between humans and animals. Humans are capable to think. So if a man actually murders someone, he are responsible unless truly insane.

moby
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Well, that's the difference between humans and animals. Humans are capable to think. So if a man actually murders someone, they are responsible unless truly insane.That's better. :p I don't want to go into it, but psychopathy is genetic, and a lot of behaviour traits can be shaped by early upbringing - so I don't know how much autonomy human beings really have. We're capable of thinking - but I think the range of our thoughts are limited by genetics and these early experiences. TBH, I think assuming this sort of autonomy of thinking makes us feel better to lay blame. But this is a whole other discussion.

John.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Horrible situation. Obviously horrific for the poor woman and her family.

These animals should not be in these parks though. It's cruelty.

Kart
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I saw this on the news today. It's a tragedy.

I wonder how many more people this whale is going to kill before they stop milking it for cash and send it back into the ocean.

*JR*
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
This orca will not be euthanized accorrding to the morning news. Where he will live, I don't know. He wouldn't be accepted into another "pod", would find it hard to survive alone in the wild now after being in captivity for a quarter century since about age 2, and likely would gravitate towards humans wherever, putting them in danger. (The 1999 human death was of some moron who entered the enclosure himself @ night)

The part that bothers me the most is that this wild animal had "trainers" whose job was to make him "perform" for the amusement of humans. :rolleyes: This is reminiscent of circus animals, who are also treated with cruelty that shocks the conscience. (And FWIW, in the Siegfried and Roy tiger mauling, they were almost "asking for it" and the paying audience were enablers)

The proper model is 2C such animals in their natural habitat, such as in the safari type zoos with monorails running quietly ovahead. (In the case of fish and sea mammals, it seems that mini-submarines and diving bells are OK; maybe shark cages, so long as they don't cause the sharks to try and chomp on the steel bars)

Wigglytuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM

I wonder how many more people this whale is going to kill before they stop milking it for cash and send it back into the ocean.

basically, the whale is a cash cow and that matters more to seaworld than the lives of their employees and customers

Wigglytuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM
This orca will not be euthanized accorrding to the morning news. Where he will live, I don't know. He wouldn't be accepted into another "pod", would find it hard to survive alone in the wild now after being in captivity for a quarter century since about age 2, and likely would gravitate towards humans wherever, putting them in danger. (The 1999 human death was of some moron who entered the enclosure himself @ night)

The part that bothers me the most is that this wild animal had "trainers" whose job was to make him "perform" for the amusement of humans. :rolleyes: This is reminiscent of circus animals, who are also treated with cruelty that shocks the conscience. (And FWIW, in the Siegfried and Roy tiger mauling, they were almost "asking for it" and the paying audience were enablers)

The proper model is 2C such animals in their natural habitat, such as in the safari type zoos with monorails running quietly ovahead. (In the case of fish and sea mammals, it seems that mini-submarines and diving bells are OK; maybe shark cages, so long as they don't cause the sharks to try and chomp on the steel bars)
wow what a sensible post. being sober is good old friend :)

iGOAT
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
what bullshit.
You're an idiot.

I don't think the whale meant to kill her. It's not that big of a deal honestly, animals die in these places all the time, yet when one person dies everyone goes crazy.

I agree with what someone said that killer whales shouldn't be forced to do tricks. No animals should though.

RIP to the lady, she sounds like a very nice person :hug: and hopefully the whale will be treated okay.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The whale should be released. No matter how much humans try to domesticate animals, they will still be wild until their desire to hunt food is completely eradicated from their genes.

Smoothstuff
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM

:o You should think about things before you say them
Anyway it's very sad but Seaworld shouldn't have Killer Whales anyway

Kart
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I don't really buy the argument that the whale should be kept in captivity because he's been in it for so long.

Yes he might not survive if you release him but he may also thrive.

Donny
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well, that's the difference between humans and animals. Humans are capable to think. So if a man actually murders someone, he are responsible unless truly insane.

I think free will is horribly overestimated.

The Dawntreader
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM
More proof that animals cannot be fully trained nor tamed.

Wild instincts> human conditioning. Orcas are the apex predators of the sea, with full capability of attacking and killing Great Whites with consumate ease. They are notorious predators, entirely built to kill. It's foolish for us humans to think that this urge can ever be supressed.

rockstar
Feb 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
You're an idiot.

I don't think the whale meant to kill her. It's not that big of a deal honestly, animals die in these places all the time, yet when one person dies everyone goes crazy.

I agree with what someone said that killer whales shouldn't be forced to do tricks. No animals should though.

RIP to the lady, she sounds like a very nice person :hug: and hopefully the whale will be treated okay.

did you actually read the post i was responding too? i bolded only the first part where the other guy said these people deserve to die. that's just a horrible thing to say. i'm not going crazy over the death of one person :o

Sam L
Feb 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM

basically, the whale is a cash cow and that matters more to seaworld than the lives of their employees and customers

BINGO BINGO. It's not the whale's fault but people wanting to make money by keeping animals in captive and making their employees doing dangerous things. That's the source of the problem.

salima
Feb 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Whales belongs to the open sea and on a plate

Donny
Feb 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
People seem to forget that this job isn't particularly dangerous as jobs go. 3 people killed in what must have been thousands of performances is pretty safe whe nyou compare to things like mining, logging, etc. Heck, stunt acting is probably more dangerous than killer whale trainer is. We just sensationalize it because OMG an animal! You'd have to see MUCH higher fatality rates before Seaworld would consider getting rid of killer whale shows.

Talula
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Yes, it's not the whale's fault. He would be acting on instinct. It's humans' fault for having such beautiful creatures like whales and Dolphins were not created to perform in so called 'pleasure' parks.

The whale should now be transferred to a secure and safe environment for the rest of its natural days.

Talula
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thought this was some interesting info:

Note: From Wikipedia (which is a useful although somewhat dubious)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilikum_%28whale%29#Tilikum

Tilikum, sometimes misspelled Tillikum, is a bull Orca who lives at SeaWorld Orlando. He was captured near Iceland in November 1983 at about two years of age. Tillikum measures 22 feet 6 inches long and weighs in at 12,300 pounds (as of 2007). His pectoral fins are six and one half feet long, his massive flukes curl under, and his 6-foot-tall dorsal fin is flopped completely to his left side, and weighs close to 200 pounds. He is the largest Orca in captivity and also the most successful sire in captivity, with 13 offspring, 10 of which are still alive. His name means friend in Chinook Jargon, usually spelled Tillicum and also meaning "people/tribe" or "kin".

Tillikum was first sent to live at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia. There, he lived with two older females named Haida II and Nootka IV. While living in British Columbia, Tilikum sired his first calf when he was about eight or nine years old. His first son, Kyuquot, was born to Haida II on December 24, 1991. Just a few months prior to the birth of Kyuquot, Tilikum was involved in an incident which resulted in the death of a trainer. Twenty-year-old Keltie Byrne, who worked at the park, slipped and fell into the tank with the whales. Tillikum, a pregnant Haida II, and Nootka IV grabbed her in their mouths and tossed her to each other, presumably playing. Keltie drowned. The orcas had never had humans in the water with them before. Haida II and Nootka IV were overprotective of the newborn calf and aggressive towards Tillikum, who was forced into the small medical pool. Because of his huge size, Seaworld requested an emergency transfer to their facility. Tilikum was moved to SeaWorld Orlando, Florida in January 9, 1992; he has been there ever since. Sealand of the Pacific closed soon thereafter.

Since his arrival at SeaWorld, Tilikum has sired many calves with many different females. His first calf, born in Orlando, was to Katina. Katina gave birth to Taku on September 9, 1993. Tillikum's other calves are: Nyar (born 1993, died 1996), Unna (1996), Sumar (1998), Tuar (1999), Tekoa (2000), Nakai (2001), Kohana (2002), Ikaika (2002), Skyla (2004), and Malia (2007). In 1999, Tillikum began training for artificial insemination (AI). In early 2000, Kasatka who resides at SeaWorld San Diego was artificially inseminated using his sperm. She gave birth to Tillikum's son, Nakai, on September 1, 2001. On May 3, 2002, another female in San Diego, named Takara, bore Tilikum's calf through artificial insemination.

Tilikum was at the scene of another death on July 6, 1999, though evidence suggests the Orca may not have been at fault. A 27-year-old man was found floating naked in Tilikum’s pool, apparently killed by a combination of hypothermia and drowning. He had visited SeaWorld the previous day, stayed after the park closed, and evaded security to enter the Orca tank.[34] Investigators determined that the man, either before or after death, had been bitten by Tillikum.

Tilikum never takes part in water work with trainers, not necessarily due to aggression, but because he doesn't necessarily realize his own strength.[citation needed] Tilikum is the feature of the show "Believe" where the audience and trainers chant "Shamu" as Tillikum soaks the audience.[35]

On February 24th, 2010 Tilikum was involved in a third incident, when a 40-year-old experienced trainer was killed. The trainer drowned following a popular Dine with Shamu show as at least two dozen tourists looked on from above a whale tank and from an underwater viewing area. SeaWorld executive Chuck Tompkins confirmed what witnesses saw, that the trainer was pulled into the water by Tilikum. The trainer was finishing up a session with Tilikum, the largest whale in SeaWorld's collection and its only mature male, following the Dine with Shamu show."

=============

In another article, it states that it is captive killer whales not only are more susceptible to physical deformities, but those that were not born into captivity display more aggression to people and other whales. This is due to the stress of living in a small tank.

Those born into captivity also have problems, such as having a low life span.

Maybe orcas are not suitable for these environments at all, and the practice should be stopped.

That Tilikum sounds like my kinda guy!:hearts: A real cool one!:cool: Anyway, I couldn't help but have a giggle at the bit in bold!! Sorry, but I'm always on the animal's side when it comes to humans getting their come uppance for treating animals the way they should not be.

ce
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM
he was just probably playing with her, he doesnt know how strong he is
if he wanted to kill her he would have done that while she was swimming with him

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM

this....but of course let's ignore the KILLER in front of the name...

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
if he wanted to kill her he would have done that while she was swimming with him

it's like when you see dogs playing...my neighbour's two akitas were out playing with each other, which usually involves biting each other at the nape etc...my little puppy decides he wants to play as well so they do the same to him...because he's so small one would think they're trying to kill him when in actual fact he's just to small to play with him...

it may be a case of both in this scenario...he's playing but after the first bite the killer instinct takes over...being that he IS a killer whale

Super Dave
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Sadly, the nature of the job and the animal makes things like this a possibility. There's such an inherent risk involved.

It's really disturbing to see things like this happen in person. I was at Disney World in '08 watching a stunt show and one of the motorcyclists crashed and they immediately surrounded him with a portable curtain and cancelled the rest of the show. I think he survived, but I never heard anything about it afterward.

*Jool*
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM
this.

sad story though

Rocketta
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I just saw the show will continue but the trainers will not be in the water with them. :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
God, that's horrible. :sad:

antonella
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
SeaWorld trainer: Ponytail was a toy to orca

Ex-SeaWorld trainer: Rules broken before fatal attack

'ORLANDO, Fla. — The killer whale that drowned a veteran trainer was just curious about her ponytail and dragged her into the water to investigate a new toy, the former head of animal training at SeaWorld Orlando said today.'

Looks like the 'spin' is that the trainer's ponytail caused the orca to attack her. Didn't she wear ponytails in the past? And were all three people which the orca attacked in the past wearing ponytails?? Also some woman's "big hair" was also reported as the cause for tiger that attacking Roy Horn.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587498,00.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmazingAnimals/seaworld-curator-dawn-brancheau-ponytail-caused-fatal-killer-whale-attack/story?id=9934382

moon
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I just saw the show will continue but the trainers will not be in the water with them. :shrug:

:rolleyes: this woman that just died wasn't in the water. The whale pulled her in.

:mad: some people will do/say anything to justify making blood money.

LucyFromLondon
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:02 PM
It's awful, but I think it shows that whales and other wild animals are not pets or for theme park entertainment. They are wild animals who should be left in peace in the wild. I feel awful for the poor trainer, but after all the whale does not have our perspective. Whales are for admiring in their natural habitat as are dolphins - not for circuses. These theme parks are just circuses after all.

*JR*
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM
(This is directed @ SeaWorld)

Listen MF'ers, you don't ask animals to "perform" (except where its their natural behavior, like dolphins diving, and seals playing with balls). WTF is next in an "industry" that includes BRUTALITY TO (http://www.circuses.com) circus elephants?

And si Espana, bullfighting is barbaric too (as the bull enters the ring with a death sentence, whether he hurts the matador or not). I further blame those who go to these places, as they provide the market for it; unlike in whale watching cruises or visiting the kind of zoos where the animals have "room to roam".

Perhaps you fucks in the SeaWorld executive suite can quote Falcon Heene, bka the parentally exploited Balloon Boy: "... we did it for the show". :fiery:

Wigglytuff
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM

actually, i dont know why the media keeps saying he might have been playing they know well and good he wasnt, or at least thats not all there is to it. the whole volley ball with the fins thing looks like play and it might be part play, but it is also what killer whales do to seals before they eat them.

this is something that people who work with killer whales have known for at least ten years. and you can see it yourself in david attenborough's "trails of life: hunting"

kiwifan
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I hate to get involved in these things but...I've actually worked with Sea World and these trainers of these Killer Whales. I know that the trainers love the hell out of these creatures and wouldn't harm, injure them just to make them do tricks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was almost "business as usual" once they recover from the sadness of their loss. Accidents happen and that's what it was an accident.

While I don't pretend to speak for actual trainers, I will say that the trainers don't teach the Whales tricks per se instead they learn the Whales "behaviors" and work with them doing things that the Whales actually enjoy and do naturally. They encourage endearing behavior by feeding the Whales. The reason why the Whales "get away" with killing people is because they are usually behaving in ways that are consistent with their behaviors.

As Chris Rock would say the Killer Whale didn't go crazy, "That Killer Whale went Killer Whale" and it is up to the humans to adjust accordingly...the Whale might have thought he was just playing with the trainer when the tragedy happened.

Just a sad tragic accident...no good guys, no bad guys, nobody "deserved" anything. :sad:

ce
Feb 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I hate to get involved in these things but...I've actually worked with Sea World and these trainers of these Killer Whales. I know that the trainers love the hell out of these creatures and wouldn't harm, injure them just to make them do tricks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was almost "business as usual" once they recover from the sadness of their loss. Accidents happen and that's what it was an accident.

While I don't pretend to speak for actual trainers, I will say that the trainers don't teach the Whales tricks per se instead they learn the Whales "behaviors" and work with them doing things that the Whales actually enjoy and do naturally. They encourage endearing behavior by feeding the Whales. The reason why the Whales "get away" with killing people is because they are usually behaving in ways that are consistent with their behaviors.

As Chris Rock would say the Killer Whale didn't go crazy, "That Killer Whale went Killer Whale" and it is up to the humans to adjust accordingly...the Whale might have thought he was just playing with the trainer when the tragedy happened.

Just a sad tragic accident...no good guys, no bad guys, nobody "deserved" anything. :sad:

exactly what i think :shruh:
who knows

ce
Feb 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
:rolleyes: this woman that just died wasn't in the water. The whale pulled her in.

:mad: some people will do/say anything to justify making blood money.

she was in the water
one couple taped it just until he drowned her
there is video on youtube

KournikovaFan91
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Really there are much larger animal rights issues, like fur farming, whaling and seal hunting.

Also if we were to only allow animals do what was natural would equestrianism also be banned since in the wild horses are naturally ridden over jumps or naturally do dressage tests.

I visited Seaworld and it is quite an impressive show.,

Mrs. Dimitrova
Feb 27th, 2010, 02:45 AM
What a horrible thing to say.

This is true for murderers too, so... :shrug:
That's retarded.

did you actually read the post i was responding too? i bolded only the first part where the other guy said these people deserve to die. that's just a horrible thing to say. i'm not going crazy over the death of one person :o

I know. But it's not the animal's fault they get killed. It's their instinct and these people chooses to take that risk anyway.

I feel sorry for the animals in these zoos and parks. What can they do so that they can go back to where they belong? I just wish they would all turn wild one day and kill everyone so they can make their way back. :rolls:

I have never been to a zoo for over 10 years and I don't plan on going to one ever again in my life. It's horrible.

KournikovaFan91
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Some zoos have great breeding programmes for endangered species.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:11 AM
People seem to forget that this job isn't particularly dangerous as jobs go. 3 people killed in what must have been thousands of performances is pretty safe whe nyou compare to things like mining, logging, etc. Heck, stunt acting is probably more dangerous than killer whale trainer is. We just sensationalize it because OMG an animal! You'd have to see MUCH higher fatality rates before Seaworld would consider getting rid of killer whale shows.
Agreed. This is bound to happen every so often. It's certainly a risk that's run working with a wild animal.

I LOVE seaworld. I used to live, literally, a stone throw away from Seaworld San Diego, in Ocean Beach - even had a season pass. When I was living in OB a trainer was crushed by a whale that had breached on him while he was riding another whale. The feeling at the time was that the whale had done it ON PURPOSE. I had a job back in the day that required me to be on a horse quite a bit. I became a damn good horseman. When I was first learning to ride, one of the wranglers said to me to remember I was dealing with animal with a WILL and MIND of it's own. Most spectators don't consider that when watching trainers work with animals and MANY trainers forget/overlook that and drop their guard.

But I still think it's important to have these kinds of shows if done humanely. These animals are ambassadors.

Unfortunately, these days, I live in Los Angeles, so I don't get down to San Diego much, but I've never forgotten how much my excursions into SeaWorld had grown my love for sea life. So much so that now, as often as possible, I take my three year old daughter to the Long Beach Aquarium. She now loves sea life too and, I believe, will respect it and advocate for it all her life.

rockstar
Feb 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Some zoos have great breeding programmes for endangered species.

yeah i dont know why people automatically assume that all animals in captivity are sad animals. conditions may have been terrible in the past, but most world-class zoos provide a pretty good environment for the animals. they are probably much safer in zoos, rather the trying to to survive out in the world. and they also help raise awareness about conservsation efforts.

having said that, there are certain animals that roam around so much that it is unrealistic to simulate their natural environment due to space constraints

gentenaire
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
she was in the water
one couple taped it just until he drowned her
there is video on youtube

From what I read, no one was ever allowed to be in the water with Tilikum as it was too dangerous. I doubt the video you saw on youtube was the right one. If it was, it would have been pulled immediately.

I'm sure the trainers love these animals to pieces. A friend of my parents was telling us how guilty and terrible he felt after a dolphin died on his operating table. Anesthesising a dolphin is extremely tricky, it often goes wrong. But they had no choice. The trainers were heartbroken.

But that doesn't change the fact that I do think animals that are used to such a huge habitat, shouldn't be kept in captivity. You've got to wonder how many people Tilikum has to kill before they'll realise that he never should have been kept in captivity. They'd probably react stronger should he kill another whale.

hingisGOAT
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
People seem to forget that this job isn't particularly dangerous as jobs go. 3 people killed in what must have been thousands of performances is pretty safe whe nyou compare to things like mining, logging, etc.

Incredibly dumb post :bowdown: :worship: :weirdo:

Knizzle
Feb 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
What a stupid and fucked up comment. This is an animal taken away from it's natural habitat and trained to do things that pretty much isn't natural for them. Any behavioral issues this killer whale may have was caused by humans. Is it fair to blame the whale for this death? No.I understand your point skanky, but I agree. 3 human deaths and they won't put this whale to sleep? If it was the wild and killed someone and was caught I think it would be killed so why any different in captivity after 3 deaths?