PDA

View Full Version : Your own successful experience of losing weight?

Lin Lin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Please share with us:worship:
Thank you very much.

I think I urgently need to lose some kilos,especially after this holiday(with rare sports and big meals:mad:) for me:help:

Thanks again:)

Harvs
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
I lost 5kg in 6 days doing lemon detox diet... but im a 6'3 guy and only weighed 75kg before the detox:lol:

Six Feet Under
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I lost 5kg in 6 days doing lemon detox diet... but im a 6'3 guy and only weighed 75kg before the detox:lol:

:eek:

Noctis
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
FatLin

Lin Lin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
FatLin

Do you even have such experience?:rolleyes:

Kart
Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm about to weigh myself after six months of gym.

I don't feel like I've lost any weight but people tell me I look like I have and my trousers don't fit anymore.

GrandMartha
Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
i need to gain weight. any tipp? :rolleyes:

Living_Legend
Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I've never really had a problem with weight so far (touch wood) but I've noticed that if I eat lunch I don't snack at all through the day, but if I have a cookie or a yougart or something during the day I won't have lunch. This isn't something I plan but subconsciously something I do. I don't bother counting calories because all those numbers mean nothing to me, I just try and eat healthily, I haven't eaten junk food in years.

I don't have breakfast because for the first hour or so after I wake up I can't eat or it makes me feel sick, and I'm too lazy to wake up an hour and half earlier than I need to for work. If I do feel hungry before 12 I just drink a glass of water to stave it off (and a lot of the time when you feel hungry you're actually thirsty). Also I usually eat dinner before 5.30, and then maybe have a snack like a few grapes or a buscuit before bed!

Super Dave
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I found that the only thing that has ever worked for me was what I did last summer.

I found an online calculator where you input your age, sex, activity level and amount of pounds you want to lose and the date you want to lose them by and it gives you a daily calorie count. I stuck to that calorie count religiously for 9 weeks and lost the 20 pounds I wanted to lose, while maintaining my usual light to moderate activity level. Then, you can find out a maintenance calorie count to hold at a specific weight, using the same tool.

It takes vigilance and mental strength to lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!

Calorie Counter for Men (http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide_men.htm) Calorie Counter for Women (http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm)

Infiniti2001
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm about to weigh myself after six months of gym.

I don't feel like I've lost any weight but people tell me I look like I have and my trousers don't fit anymore.

manorexia ? Kidding babe :hearts: As to the topic, the moment I cut down on my carbohyrate intake and move more, I lose weight.

Living_Legend
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Oh I also forgot to add remember as Guru Kate Moss once said Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!!

Golovinjured.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I've lost +18kg since the start of November. :)

I didn't weight myself at the start, but I'm now 85kg and I weighed ATLEAST 103kg, but it was more, I think it was around 106kg.

delicatecutter
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Wow, that's almost 50 lbs lost! :eek: I bet you were a hot little cub. :hearts:

Golovinjured.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
It's closer to 30 lbs than 50 lbs. I know that, and we use the metric system here. :weirdo:

delicatecutter
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
The site I went to says 106kg = 233 lbs and 85kg = 187 lbs. Is this incorrect?

Dominic
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

Losing more than 1-2 pounds a week is very bad, if you lose more, you are losing some fat but alot of water weight and MUSCLE MASS.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I weighed 216 lbs in November 2008. In January 2010 I weighed 169 lbs.

I lost the bulk of that weight in the first six months after November 2008, but the final 15-20 lbs to lose was in the last two, three months when I gave up meat and milk. I still have cheese, but that's the only dairy product I'm eating (still need to cut it out).

At first though, to lose weight, all I did was start working out, lots of cardio, a lot of running and tennis, and I gave up fast food.

Keegan
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Before Summer 2009, I was about 210 lbs. Over summer I lost 20 lbs. I don't know how. Since I started cutting all the crap from my diet during the week (I treat myself at weekends ;)) and drinking lots of water and doing some exercise I've lost an additional 10 lbs and I'm hoping to lose 5-10 lbs more :).

Adal
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
I was about 80 kg as of July 09.
Now I'm about 68 kg. Was just doing some exercises and cut down on chocolate/sweets, didn't do any diets.
I'm 1.87m tall btw.
Good luck with your journey!

$uricate
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
I weighed 162 lbs and dropped down to my current weight of 144 lbs mainly by starving myself.

Im 6 ft 1 so Im not really supposed to weigh what I do but thin is in and I needed to lose it.

Now Im just used to never eating. I really need to put it back on though.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Why does everyone want to lose weight so badly?

I'm 1.7m and 77.3 kg (5-7 170lbs).
In fact I've gained 20 lbs while working out at the gym the last six months.
My BMI is overweight according to today's standards.
Do I look overweight in my avatar?
Hell no.
I am working that male leotard like noone else.

delicatecutter
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM

Hell no.

Are you a cross-dresser?

Yasmine
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Be hyper organised (like when shopping, think a little in advance what you're going to eat) and eat a bit of everything, eat at regular hours and obviously work out enough.

My other experience is that I get followed by a nutritionist every month and even when I don't lose much she's still encouraging, so it helps. Everyone is different though, and some are fine just going on on their own without support.

$uricate
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM

Hell no.

I think everyone is talking about fat. Obviously the weight you have gained is all muscle mass, and a lot of it :eek:

The BMI guidelines say that it doesnt work for well muscled types such as athletes since muscle weighs more than fat and is not unhealthy.

You look great in your leo btw :hearts:

Sally Struthers
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
A couple of years ago when I was reading about how to extend your lifespan, I decided to try a calorie restriction diet (with optimal nutrition) starting a couple of years ago and I lost about 15 pounds till my metabolism slowed down enough to where my weight stabilized at 110 pounds where it has been for about a year and a half. I cut my calories to around 1200 per day and I was hungry for the first week or so but after that I got used to it and everything has been fine since. The extra weight came off in about 2 months. I should mention though that the weight loss was a side effect of me wanting to cut calories in order to slow down my metabolism which has been shown to extend maximum lifespan. Of course no research has been completed on humans since that would take decades but it works for almost all other animals to extend their lifespans by 30-50%. I can't say for sure if it will work but all of my bio-markers (blood pressure, body temperature, fasting glucose, cholestrol, etc) say I'm healthier than most people my age and that my body is running more efficiently in what it thinks is starvation mode. Now I eat whatever I want but in smaller portions and keep track of the calories, but having gotten used to it, I get full on less now.

Timariot
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Eat less. Simple as that.

Don't be tempted by crash diets. It won't help you if you can't hold it. Ditto for exercise - if you can't keep the levels, it won't help you in long run.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to bump this thread in 6 months or so with a constructive reply.

pepaw
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
i lost 13 lbs in 3 days when my relationship ended :hearts:

slamchamp
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I lost 50kg in 10 days

Mynarco
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I haven't gained or lost much weight for the past 3 years 60kg, no matter how much junk food I've eaten.

Keegan
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM

Hell no.

Because we want to look as fierce as you :hearts:

Dominic
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I weighed 216 lbs in November 2008. In January 2010 I weighed 169 lbs.

I lost the bulk of that weight in the first six months after November 2008, but the final 15-20 lbs to lose was in the last two, three months when I gave up meat and milk. I still have cheese, but that's the only dairy product I'm eating (still need to cut it out).

At first though, to lose weight, all I did was start working out, lots of cardio, a lot of running and tennis, and I gave up fast food.

Dairy products and meat are very important foods. It's almost the only place you can find protein, which is ESSENTIAL to having a good body composition (muscle/fat) cutting all of it out of your diet is totally unhealthy and you will get some complications.

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I didn't share any tips. :hug:

My diet consisted of...

- Chicken, Fish, Turkey, Eggs
- Fruit, Vegetables (but not potato)
- 3L Water per day
- Juice
- ONLY 2 slices of bread per day
- ONLY 1 (sugar free) softdrink per day

The thing I found worked well was preparing EVERY meal. As soon as you get hungry, take the time to make your food and make it right. No quick hunger fix. And take the time to eat your food. Each bite, chew it and digest it. I practically inhaled my food before my diet. Also, regular breakfast, regular lunch, SMALL dinner. I never ate after 7pm because I wouldn't work it off.

If you're bored, do exercise. If it's bad weather, play Nintendo Wii Sports. If you're going to allot yourself to do exercise MAKE IT COUNT. Don't go out there and half arse it. If you're going to get up and go for a run, push it and go as hard as you can.

It really helps if you have a goal of why you're trying to lose weight. Mine was for a boy, even though he was straight. :tears: I wore an armband every day to remind myself and keep on track.

i lost 13 lbs in 3 days when my relationship ended :hearts:

:spit:

Chris 84
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
when i was about 13 or 14 i lost 2 and a half stones in a few months just by cutting out food between meals and restricting my foods to stuff that was providing me with minimal amounts of fat. didn't pay so much attention to carbs and didnt exercise like mad, but tried to do something each day.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Dairy products and meat are very important foods. It's almost the only place you can find protein, which is ESSENTIAL to having a good body composition (muscle/fat) cutting all of it out of your diet is totally unhealthy and you will get some complications.

I can get as much protein, and in healther amounts, in spinach and soy beans/soy milk, than meat. You don't even need that much protein, honestly. There are many other vitamins and nutrients that the body needs more of that we ignore.

About dairy, it's completely unnecessary IMO. There's a reason so many people are lactose intolerant. And there's a reason why when a lot of people drink less milk, they lose weight, it's so fatty.

hablo
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I can get as much protein, and in healther amounts, in spinach and soy beans/soy milk, than meat. You don't even need that much protein, honestly. There are many other vitamins and nutrients that the body needs more of that we ignore.

About dairy, it's completely unnecessary IMO. There's a reason so many people are lactose intolerant. And there's a reason why when a lot of people drink less milk, they lose weight, it's so fatty.

You can get protein from a of combination of legumes, nuts, whole grains and greens (spinach, kale, collard, etc).

Only problem you can run into is being short on B12... ;)

Do you still eat eggs?

(I'm suspiscious of soy because it's often genetically modified. :o)

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:39 AM

If you're willing to take giant calcium pills instead of dairy than I understand your comments.
But there are plenty of studies that indicate that calcium along with vitamin D helps to stabilize a certain weight lost.
Drinking 2% lowfat milk or skim milk is not that fatty.
Even lowfat yogurt is healthy.
Me, I've been eating lowfat yogurt every day for the last 6 months for breakfast.
It's not the reason I've gained weight actually (a serving of flaxseed oil in my smoothie is the reason btw).
Calcium is really one of the beneficial minerals that we ignore.

LeonHart
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:50 AM
For me, well I'm not that fat in the first place, however nearly 2 years ago I was 139-140 and last year I weighed at 149, so I decided that I wanted to lose weight to go back to where I was 2 years ago. So far I've still been eating my 3 regular meals, although in less portions, and I've also reduced my snack intake. Increased exercise by a bit, determined to run at least an hour a week. So far I've lost 5 pounds (been like 3 months since I was on this). I mean yeah it's not A LOT but my "diet" isn't really a diet, seeing as I'm still eating what I want most of the time :angel: Anyways I suggest you read Monica Seles' book if you really want to learn how to lose weight in a healthy way.

LeonHart
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I didn't share any tips. :hug:

My diet consisted of...

- Chicken, Fish, Turkey, Eggs
- Fruit, Vegetables (but not potato)
- 3L Water per day
- Juice
- ONLY 2 slices of bread per day
- ONLY 1 (sugar free) softdrink per day

The thing I found worked well was preparing EVERY meal. As soon as you get hungry, take the time to make your food and make it right. No quick hunger fix. And take the time to eat your food. Each bite, chew it and digest it. I practically inhaled my food before my diet. Also, regular breakfast, regular lunch, SMALL dinner. I never ate after 7pm because I wouldn't work it off.

If you're bored, do exercise. If it's bad weather, play Nintendo Wii Sports. If you're going to allot yourself to do exercise MAKE IT COUNT. Don't go out there and half arse it. If you're going to get up and go for a run, push it and go as hard as you can.

It really helps if you have a goal of why you're trying to lose weight. Mine was for a boy, even though he was straight. :tears: I wore an armband every day to remind myself and keep on track.

:spit:

If most Americans stopped drinking soft drinks altogether, I can guarantee they can lose at least 10lbs in a year. Those things are SOOOOOO bad for you it's not even funny.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:54 AM
For me, well I'm not that fat in the first place, however nearly 2 years ago I was 139-140 and last year I weighed at 149, so I decided that I wanted to lose weight to go back to where I was 2 years ago. So far I've still been eating my 3 regular meals, although in less portions, and I've also reduced my snack intake. Increased exercise by a bit, determined to run at least an hour a week. So far I've lost 5 pounds (been like 3 months since I was on this). I mean yeah it's not A LOT but my "diet" isn't really a diet, seeing as I'm still eating what I want most of the time :angel: Anyways I suggest you read Monica Seles' book if you really want to learn how to lose weight in a healthy way.

Well that's the way you stick to it, a diet shouldn't be a diet at all.
I'm on the Men's Health Abs "Diet".
I haven't eaten fast food this year yet and honestly I don't miss it.

LeonHart
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:54 AM

I disagree. Dairy is very important for your diet and can in fact help you lose weight. I always add Provolone cheese to my subway sandwiches, those are known to help burn fat.

hablo
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Personally, I think the importance of dairy has been hyped by countries who produced a lot of it.

I still drink some but I don't think it's essential to do so.

Six Feet Under
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM

:awww::hug:
You must have excellent will power :bowdown:

LeRoy.
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Sometimes i wish i could gain weight

I am 6' and 135lbs :lol: I think i am manorexic

Pasta-Na
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Please share with us:worship:
Thank you very much.

I think I urgently need to lose some kilos,especially after this holiday(with rare sports and big meals:mad:) for me:help:

Thanks again:)

just keep on ur bamboo diet? :shrug:

ArturoAce.
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Sometimes i wish i could gain weight

I am 6' and 135lbs :lol: I think i am manorexic

I'm also 6' but at 123 now :sobbing:

hablo
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I'm also 6' but at 123 now :sobbing:

You weigh as much as me, and I'm 5'7 and slender. :scared:

How do you guys manage daily? :eek:

ArturoAce.
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:04 AM
You weigh as much as me, and I'm 5'7 and slender. :scared:

How do you guys manage daily? :eek:

I rarely eat breakfast and have the crappiest school lunches ever, but I have big dinners...and I have tennis practice for 4 hours everyday.
I'm really underweight but I'm not frail at all.

Lin Lin
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Some guys here shocked me really:eek:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:59 AM
You can get protein from a of combination of legumes, nuts, whole grains and greens (spinach, kale, collard, etc).

Only problem you can run into is being short on B12... ;)

Do you still eat eggs?

(I'm suspiscious of soy because it's often genetically modified. :o)

I knew of more than just those to get protein, but people do exaggerate how much protein you really need, plus there are various proteins you need to get anyway.

I always hated eggs. And you can take B12 vitamins, I believe.

Soy, for me, is morally better than dairy. It has its flaws, but I think it tastes better than milk and is better for cholesterol and higher in fiber. I haven't had milk in about two months and I don't miss it at all. The idea of having it kind of grosses me out, and I used to love milk.

Dominic
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM

First of all yes you definately need protein in your diet, to build muscle, repair tissue, have solid bones etc etc etc. Second, you never get as much protein in things such as spinach and soy beans as in meat and dairy, and third proteins that come from animals (meat, eggs, dairy products) are more complete and way better quality than protein that come from veggies. They're also more easily and quickly assimilated by the body.

Also, protein is the macronutrient that asks the body the biggest effort to digest, making your system burn more calories and having a high protein / carb-fat diet encourages more muscle and a lower bodyfat percentage. And also, lean muscle mass actually burns calories even when you are not exercising, thus helping you maintain your weight or lose even more fat.

Dairy products contain alot of essential vitamins and nutrients, some which are hard to find in sufficient quantity in other foods, including calcium.

Pasta-Na
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
First of all yes you definately need protein in your diet, to build muscle, repair tissue, have solid bones etc etc etc. Second, you never get as much protein in things such as spinach and soy beans as in meat and dairy, and third proteins that come from animals (meat, eggs, dairy products) are more complete and way better quality than protein that come from veggies. They're also more easily and quickly assimilated by the body.

Also, protein is the macronutrient that asks the body the biggest effort to digest, making your system burn more calories and having a high protein / carb-fat diet encourages more muscle and a lower bodyfat percentage. And also, lean muscle mass actually burns calories even when you are not exercising, thus helping you maintain your weight or lose even more fat.

Dairy products contain alot of essential vitamins and nutrients, some which are hard to find in sufficient quantity in other foods, including calcium.

talked like a fitness instructor. :o

Dominic
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I am sweety.

Pasta-Na
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I am sweety.

:scared:

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
You've inspired me to be really good again. :angel:

Today:

Banana
Low Fat Yoghurt
4 x slices of wholemeal bread
2 x eggs
1 x slice of cheese
1 x slice of ham
Some garlic, margarine and tomato sauce
1 x Coke Zero 600mL

Oh, and lots of exercise. :D Shall I bump my old thread to inspire you?

dawid
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I just finished my diet. It lasts only 4 days, but you can lose 3kg.

9AM - coffee without sugar
11AM - 1 x slice of cheese
1PM - boiled fillet
3PM - tea without sugar
5PM - apple
7PM - glass of dry wine

About 300kcl per day :o

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM

1PM - boiled fillet
3PM - tea without sugar
5PM - apple
7PM - glass of dry wine

Dumb. You'll have that 3kg back on in no time.

Radical detox's aren't the best for you, but I think they're a good kick start into a regular diet. Like, if you do that for a few days and then get into a normal diet you have a 3kg head start and you won't put it back on.

If you go back to eating the way you put it all on, you WILL put it all back on.

Harvs
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Losing more than 1-2 pounds a week is very bad, if you lose more, you are losing some fat but alot of water weight and MUSCLE MASS.

i know. i had no fat to lose in the first place..
butttttttt when someone pays you $50 not to eat for a week, why not..

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Umm.. I dunno.. YOU COULD DIE!!!!111 :hysteric: :bigcry:

dawid
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Dumb. You'll have that 3kg back on in no time.

Radical detox's aren't the best for you, but I think they're a good kick start into a regular diet. Like, if you do that for a few days and then get into a normal diet you have a 3kg head start and you won't put it back on.

If you go back to eating the way you put it all on, you WILL put it all back on.

I'm not gonna back to my previous food habits:p

Slutati
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I was about 80 kg as of July 09.
Now I'm about 68 kg. Was just doing some exercises and cut down on chocolate/sweets, didn't do any diets.
I'm 1.87m tall btw.
Good luck with your journey!
You need to eat something soon.

Joana
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
My successful weight losses wouldn't be of much help since they neither were planned nor necessary. Thank goodness it's over now.

I really don't understand why people want to be super skinny. It doesn't look good on anyone.

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The way I lose weight.

* 7 days in the gym
* Daily trips with the bike
* Daily run around the block
* No eating between 10PM-10AM
* No more soda, not even light
* No more potatoes, but more veggies and meat

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Umm.. I dunno.. YOU COULD DIE!!!!111 :hysteric: :bigcry:

We have tons of illegals doing starving-protests, week without food and water, and they don't die, so :p

ys
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Any bootcamp-like experience is the best remedy, I believe. Whenever I do that (like my last year climbing trip in Alps ), it's like 15-20 pounds gone within a week easily.

Dominic
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM

1PM - boiled fillet
3PM - tea without sugar
5PM - apple
7PM - glass of dry wine

:help:

Dominic
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Losing weight super fast is ALWAYS a very bad idea for at least 4 reasons.

woosey
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
just eat clean - fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains.

and exercise, work up a sweat. it's very important.

drink water.

no soda, etc. no processed or junk foods...

WhoAmI?
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Depression worked for me, I lost about 10kg over 3 months or so (from 68 to 58). I was thinking that I'm not doing anything, so I can't eat anything.. So far I've been able to maintain it:) Actually I tried a diet after Christmas (helped to lose the xmas-weight), but in general I don't believe in diets, it's crazy to have an apple a day if you'll be eating even more after it's over. Diet should be a lifestyle.
Anyways.

Best way to gain weight? Go work in the kitchen :lol:

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM

You don't lose muscle mass that fast. If you move normaly, in fact, you can't lose muscle mass within a week, not even within a month. Your body needs to use all fat before it switches to muscle degeneration.

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Depression worked for me, I lost about 10kg over 3 months or so (from 68 to 58). I was thinking that I'm not doing anything, so I can't eat anything.. So far I've been able to maintain it:) Actually I tried a diet after Christmas (helped to lose the xmas-weight), but in general I don't believe in diets, it's crazy to have an apple a day if you'll be eating even more after it's over. Diet should be a lifestyle.
Anyways.

Best way to gain weight? Go work in the kitchen :lol:

LMAO, so jealous at those that lose weight because of depressions. When I'm depressed I fill myself with chocolate :sobbing:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
:lol: Glenn :hug:

I did try recently. I did do some jogging for the last 2-3 months of the last year but I didn't cut down my food intake, just have meals like usual, and I last checked I had weighed around 3 kgs less than before.:spit: Still I don't look slim, plus the Chinese New Year celebration just ended last week made me fat again.:happy: :tape: :o

WhoAmI?
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
^^ So unfortunate, huh? You try and lose some weight and then some holidays and birthdays and celebrations kick in, to make it all useless:(:lol:

dawid
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
:help:

That wasn't so hard for me;)

cynicole
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM
You need willpower more than anything.

And a regular schedule helps immensely.

I've had fluctuating weight. I was an incredibly skinny kid. Then I was pretty fat. Then I was incredibly fit again. Then I was obese. Then I was thin -- like short-shorts/tank-top combos-thin. Then I got obese again. Then I was thin again (to the point where people were concerned that I was too thin -- lost about 50lbs in 6 months; though 10 of those pounds was water weight from the first week) and pretty much stayed that way until my inconsistent work schedule kicked in. Now I'm very fat (though people who aren't doctors try to tell me that I'm not -- but this is probably due to being around a lot of heavy people).

Now that I look back on it, every time I got obese, I was working nights.

Unless you have a medical condition, the answer is really just getting some exercise, taking a good multi-vitamin, drinking a good amount of water, and gradually eating less (it takes your body a while to adjust to running on less food). If you really like eating, exercise more. It's all easier said than done.

Also, I wouldn't be so concerned about straight-up weight. It's really in the inches.

Slutiana
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I used to play tennis/gym 6 days a week and for about 30 hours a week but I have exercised about three times since the beginning of 08 thanks to my Tati back inflammation. I don't even eat much but I guess my metabolism must suck and my body couldn't cope with the drastic change of lifestyle and so I've gone from around 12 stone to around 14 stone in those two years (I'm over 6ft2). :happy: I still have problems running continuously but I can play tennis and some other sports so I'm going to start exercising like hell and changing my diet from tomorrow. Wish me luck, and any more tips? I'm so used to be trying to put on weight, not losing it.

Edit: Thanks for all the info so far!

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
^^ So unfortunate, huh? You try and lose some weight and then some holidays and birthdays and celebrations kick in, to make it all useless:(:lol:

I know right. And everyone gets me chocolates, it's like they know what my kryptonite is :mad:

Petkorazzi
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm on a diet too :sport:
Nothing special, just took out all the junk I ate. It was a lot :o
And I practice as hard as I can at tennis. :bounce:

Elwin.
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM
It's actually the other way around for me :lol:
I got glandular fever about a year ago which made my weight drop from 66 to 54kg. I had a severe case of Glandular fever, normally you don't lose that many weight because of it.

Anyhow they say it's more difficult to gain weight then to lose weight. In my case that's so true :lol: It's really hard. I'm eating a lot but it doesn't really help. The only thing that really helps is building more muscle etc.
I'm not the tallest so i don't necessarely have to get my weight to where it was, but i just want a healthy bmi. Right now i'm still underweight :hysteric:

ce
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
i am on a diet now :spit:
i do not eat bread, only drink water and juice, not eating sweets and i am trying so hard not to eat trash food :sobbing:
and i love to eat :bigcry:

Living_Legend
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
i am on a diet now :spit:
i do not eat bread, only drink water and juice, not eating sweets and i am trying so hard not to eat trash food :sobbing:
and i love to eat :bigcry:

But its just a case of learning to love the eat the right things...there was a guy at work who wanted to ose weight and we got him having hummus for lunch instead of a subway sandwhich, and we taught him that when you go out to eat its ok to leave food on the plate...and we got him drinking loads of water, because most of the time you feel hungry you're actually thirsty!!!

And it worked he is much better looking now, and he goes for a run after work everyday, gets off the tube a couple of stops early and walks the rest of the way...and he says he can walk past a fast food place and he's not even tempted into going in and getting burger.

People should try joing yoga classes too, because its a great way to get some excersise into your day, its very relaxing and will help with stress levels, and its a great place to meet people which will keep you motivated to go even when tired knowing you'll be meeting friends (or that special someone)

PlayByPlay
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Exercising every week does help one to keep off the weight.:banana:

slamchamp
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I eat whatever I want..chocolates, cookies, any kind of food..and I never get fat:)

Mary Cherry.
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I eat whatever I want..chocolates, cookies, any kind of food..and I never get fat:)

Eventually it'll all catch up with you and one day you'll wake up looking like Peter Griffin.

nevetssllim
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I always find using a cross-trainer very helpful when it comes to losing weight. It's great because it's very, very low impact compared to running (which has completely buggered up my legs) plus you can plonk it in front of the TV to alleviate the boredom which exercise sometimes induces.

slamchamp
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Eventually it'll all catch up with you and one day you'll wake up looking like Peter Griffin.not actually cause I do excersise but playing tennis which I love..so it's not really an effort at ALL. Although I would like to be a bit taller, my height is 1.76 and i would diet for that:sobbing:

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM

That's till a certain age. After that your habits will be so fixed that you won't be able to stop the gaining anymore.

slamchamp
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
That's till a certain age. After that your habits will be so fixed that you won't be able to stop the gaining anymore.I'm 20 already..but it's not that eat a loot..I'm perfectly able to do a diet. Let's say I just don't worry about getting fat at all

Six Feet Under
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Right now i have a healthy BMI. But i want to lose 5-10 kgs to bring my to weight round 65kg. I'm 5'11 btw.

There have been tons of good tips and i don't want to lose the weight fast as they say you'll gain it back plus more. I know i exercise enough, i just need to eat the correct foods as my diet include a lot of convenience food. I love to cook so this should be a fun challenge :D

Thanks for all the tips guys, i hope you all succeed in your diets too :)

Living_Legend
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I'm 20 already..but it's not that eat a loot..I'm perfectly able to do a diet. Let's say I just don't worry about getting fat at all

I'm in the same boat, I can eat what I like and not put on weight, but things like Junk food and fizzy drinks don't entice me at all...plus I've noticed if I eat more than normal I get so fidgity and can't relax...I only eat when I'm hungry as well so if I've over eaten one day the next day I'll probably end up skipping lunch because I'm not hungry, but its not a concious choice, its only recently I've noticed it.

There was a show in the UK where they got 'naturally skinny' people to double their calorie intake for a certain period of time and they were only allowed to take certain ammount steps a day...at first they all struggled some got to 11.30 in the evening and still had a whole load of calories to consume so would eat a whole pot of clotted cream etc...but at the end of the study and couple of the guys never managed a day where they doubled their calorie intake, because they just couldn't force themselves to, or they were sick (at the start I think most of them ended up throwing up)...also they all started fidgiting a lot as their bodies tried to burn off the calories...and within 2 weeks of the experiment ending they were all back to their original weights without dieting. They were trying to prove that our bodies have a natural weight that it'll try to keep to no matter what, could be by making you sick, burn calories by fiddling with things etc.

Also they did an demonstration on kids to show how our eating habits start from a young age, by giving a group of 5 year olds their lunch and asking them how full they were (all said very full), then they set them a colouring in task, while they were doing that a teacher went round and gave each child a plate full of cookies and said they could eat them if they wanted. Some of the kids ate them all, some had a couple and others pushed the plate away or didn't touch the plate...They said this is replicated in adults as 'naturally thin' adults when food shopping after eating buy a lot less than they do if they go when they are hungry, but bigger adults' food shopping stays more constant whether they feel full or not!!!

Tennis Fool
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Anyone here a vegan?

Also, I heard Zooey Deschanel is a vegan who does not eat soy.

A fried of mine is giving up meat for Lent.

Dominic
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
You don't lose muscle mass that fast. If you move normaly, in fact, you can't lose muscle mass within a week, not even within a month. Your body needs to use all fat before it switches to muscle degeneration.

That could not be further away from the truth. If you lose one pound of bodyweight, a percentage of it will ALWAYS be muscle. It will be a bigger percentage if you lost it really fast and by starving yourself. It will be a very small percentage if you lost in a week or more, and remaining active physically.

Lin Lin
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:38 AM
vegan?
Can't imagine how he/she would live in the modern society:worship:

Dominic
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
That wasn't so hard for me;)

It doesnt look hard, it just looks like a very not sane way to lose weight. Diets that are under 1000 calories a day will seriously affect your metabolism and make it slower for a long time. Plus you probably lost alot of muscle doing that.

Harvs
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Anyone here a vegan?

Also, I heard Zooey Deschanel is a vegan who does not eat soy.

A fried of mine is giving up meat for Lent.

im going vegan for a month soon... my friends bet me $500 i couldnt do it:lol:
its pretty hard, you cant eat pretty much everything haha, but oh well... challengeee.

Pasta-Na
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:53 AM
It doesnt look hard, it just looks like a very not sane way to lose weight. Diets that are under 1000 calories a day will seriously affect your metabolism and make it slower for a long time. Plus you probably lost alot of muscle doing that.

like karen carpenter :sad:

youizahoe
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM
That could not be further away from the truth. If you lose one pound of bodyweight, a percentage of it will ALWAYS be muscle. It will be a bigger percentage if you lost it really fast and by starving yourself. It will be a very small percentage if you lost in a week or more, and remaining active physically.

I asked my bodycoach today and she has 4 medical PHD's and runs one of the best sport-clinic-gyms in Belgium.

She litteraly said :

It's impossible for a human to lose muscle tissue in just a week of dieting, even if the person dropped over a pound each day, for a week long. If you have reserves (it takes 2 weeks of starving to cut down 10% of bodyfat), the body goes for that first.

The only way to lose a substantial amount of muscle it would be caused by the various reasons :

1. You used to sport a lot and you don't anymore
2. You burned all your fat and water
3. You lay still for a week and don't drink nor eat energy

She also said it's possible to lose muscle while losing weight, though it will rarely be above 50% of muscle loss within 1 pound. Unless you used steroids, then the percentage will be higher.

Dominic
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I asked my bodycoach today and she has 4 medical PHD's and runs one of the best sport-clinic-gyms in Belgium.

She litteraly said :

It's impossible for a human to lose muscle tissue in just a week of dieting, even if the person dropped over a pound each day, for a week long. If you have reserves (it takes 2 weeks of starving to cut down 10% of bodyfat), the body goes for that first.

The only way to lose a substantial amount of muscle it would be caused by the various reasons :

1. You used to sport a lot and you don't anymore
2. You burned all your fat and water
3. You lay still for a week and don't drink nor eat energy

She also said it's possible to lose muscle while losing weight, though it will rarely be above 50% of muscle loss within 1 pound. Unless you used steroids, then the percentage will be higher.[/I]

Well there, that's what I've been saying. The rest of your post is all wrong and in contradiction with that. There are two phases going on in the human body at all moments, Either anabolic (where the cells split and you are basically building new tissue) or catabolic (where you are breaking down and using tissue to feed yourself, fat, and/or muscle) If you diet right, eat frequent small meals containing protein, and exercise, it will mostly be fat. But if you starve yourself and don't exercise, it will most likely be at least 50% of muscle.

And it doesnt start a week or 10 days after you start dieting, it can start a few hours after. The body needs energy at all times and if you dont eat for 4-5 hours in a row, the brain sends a catabolic hormone called cortisol in the blood flow that will start breaking down some of the muscle cells. And all of this can be EASILY veryfied by taking bodyfat % tests, some ppl who have lost alot of weight often have almost the same bodyfat % after dieting wrong. And they're not happy that they still look flask

irma
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I lost over 60 pounds when I was 17/18 years old because I learned to control my binge eating problems and changed my eating habits in general. Now it's 14 years later and I never gained it back. It was hard at the time though because at times I was close to go to the anorexia side but thank goodness I was not able to puke at will (it's odd but that really helped me)and I was afraid to take pills!

patricio
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Well, I am not a person with weight issues but I am tall and if I dont take care of myself my belly gets big, so I get to be like the thin guy with belly, which is horrible. Because my legs or arms dont get bigger only my stomach.
I had started and left gym sessions several times until 2 years ago I committed to go 4 or 5 times a week. I work in an office so I stay sit like 9 hours a day. So now I have been doing this for 2 years and whenever I dont feel like going to the gym at least I workout half an hour, just not to lose the habit. And it worked, my body is much better, I feel great and whenever I dont do it for a couple of days I feel it in my body.
This year I started an eating plan to go along with my workouts, the key is how much you eat of what. I eat everything, but I try to measure how much. I know its hard but its the only way. Some of the things we love eating (ice cream, bread, snacks) contain lots of fat, so we need to be wise and control ourselfs.
The key for me is to match eating pleasure (which I enjoy a lot) with health and looking good, not too much of one, not too much of the other, because when you cross the other side you become a freak that eats vegetables all day long!

Six Feet Under
Dec 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Right now i have a healthy BMI. But i want to lose 5-10 kgs to bring my to weight round 65kg. I'm 5'11 btw.

There have been tons of good tips and i don't want to lose the weight fast as they say you'll gain it back plus more. I know i exercise enough, i just need to eat the correct foods as my diet include a lot of convenience food. I love to cook so this should be a fun challenge :D

Thanks for all the tips guys, i hope you all succeed in your diets too :)

I'm kinda finished now :lol:
Got down from 83KG to 66KG.
But am currently around 67KG (stupid festive season :lol:)

It has made me feel alot more confident, if anything.

eck
Dec 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I try and swim....
At the time I kinda lost quite efficiently.
I learnt that apparently breaststroke is actually more energy consuming than freestyle :speakles:

But now it's stuck :o
And I can't figure how to get it down :sobbing:

Juanes
Dec 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
swim should help i think.... it is really great for losing weight.... though i am trying to put on weight :lol:

Helen Lawson
Dec 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
For me, cardio 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour, and two days of weights for an hour. And count calories very carefully.

That Kate Moss quote is dead accurate.

Six Feet Under
Dec 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
For me, cardio 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour, and two days of weights for an hour. And count calories very carefully.

That Kate Moss quote is dead accurate.

This. No "diets" needed just count everything you eat.

Boreas
Dec 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I have successfully added 9 pounds of muscle in the last 2 months, so yay me. I never was fat, so I never had to lose any weight.

Helen Lawson
Dec 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Diets don't work in the long-term, a well known fact to those who have lost it and kept it off, but so much money to be had in the diet industry, this fact is kept a secret. You have to adjust your daily lifestyle to keep weight off permanently and just maintain portion control and calorie limits. It's not hard once you get used to it.

I eat about 75 percent organic, not sure if that makes a difference, but fruits and vegetables taste a lot better.

eck
Dec 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
It's true, diets don't work as great as we all would like to think.

You can lose your weight, but you gain them back easily. And then it gets harder to get it back down again.
But it all comes down to what you eat in order to maintain a good shape. :o
(That's what I like to think. :p)

Lin Lin
Dec 26th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I don't know I posted a thread like this:speakles:

Monica_Rules
Dec 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
About 10 months ago i weighed 12 stone. I noticed a few months later that clothes were a bit looser on me and when i weighed myself i'd lost a stone.

I did this withouth even trying/realising. I think the biggest benefit is i moved from the country to a city and i walked everywhere, to work, to town, to the park, to the shops. I also cut my portions down to what i should be eating. I worked out when i cooked my own meals i was eating waaaay too much. I stopped eating chocolate and crisps for a while.

I still was a bit of a belly though so i'm going to try and tone my stomach a bit in the new year

Kylger
Dec 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have done several different things to lose weight.

have done the watermelon diet which lasted 3-4 days I think and I lost 5 kilos doing so.

Also I have counted calories, which was suprisingly easy. Every person is different in terms of daily intake of calories, but since I was too lazy to find out mine I just used the standard of 2000 per day for guys. I was regularly under that mark. Around 1500 and a bit less. That really did the difference. Since I am constantly busy and don't have time to hit the gym so much then excersise was limited to me. However I did walk a lot every day. Lost around 10 kilos after a few months. All my old clothes are too big now. ::lol: My tight jeans are saggy ones now, so I guess the downside of losing weight is that you have to reorganize your wardrobe.

As for right now I do still monitor carefully what I eat(but I don't deny my body anything). Like someone else posted before on here. I can't eat in the morning anything. When I wake up I feel like a zombie, so I just grab a coffee to jumpstart my body. For lunch I do eat some fruits at work(every so often also some chips and chocolate) and in the evening eat a full dinner. I still manage to stay slim like that. If I should gain some kilos I cut out the sweets and chips and back on track. Also drinking a lot of water daily(around 2-3 litres),.

Most important thing to always remember about losing weight is. NEVER think of it as a diet. Your body will automatically lock up and you fail to lose weight. It actually does work. If you tell your body that you changed you way of living(food and excersise) the results will be a lot better.