PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston's recent Brisbane concert disaster.

Pops Maellard
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I can't find a video anywhere (hopefully someone knows where one is) but I saw it on the news in my country today. So sad, she has completely lost her voice...:sad:

At least she's off the drugs but the damage has still been done.

eck
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I saw the video too. It was terrible :o

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
:spit: :tape: How terrible?:o
But hey, at least she didn't lyp-synch.:shrug:

Pops Maellard
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
:spit: :tape: How terrible?:o
But hey, at least she didn't lyp-synch.:shrug:
In this case, it would've been better if she did. :tape:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
-lIDTVtA3cE
I thought it's relatively nice. Definitely not her best since comeback but nowhere near disaster.:shrug:
Perhaps she was feeling rather unwell that night, so a couple of bad performances on certain songs was not really that surprising.:shrug: Plus, some people have been expecting too much from her since comeback. She was improving gradually but still you could hear her straining on certain high chest notes, unless she was on her good day. And she just would not sing longer notes nowadays for sure. She barely could hold a note for more than 7 seconds now.

Pops Maellard
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm not talking about that song. On the news it showed a couple of clips where she had to stop during songs, missing words so she could take a big gasp of breath.

eck
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
My news said she had to take a break after singing two songs. . .
And when she tried to go to the high notes. . . :tape:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
How long of a break between songs?:lol:
I only know a 'short' 30 seconds or so break during a song like I Will Always Love You is somehow her famous antique.

eck
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Whitney Houston struggled through the opening night of her Australian tour, it has been reported.

The 46-year-old singer, who last toured the country in 1988, sparked health concerns after appearing breathless and exhausted on stage at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre last night.

Houston reportedly sang two songs before taking a break and then carried a towel with her for the next few numbers. She later allegedly coughed and left the stage, when her brother Gary came on to sing.

One concert-goer wrote on the Courier-Mail website: "She was not fit to perform. She seemed to be on another planet, and the concert was laughable. When the back up singer's performance is the stand out for the night you know something is wrong."

Another said: "To charge people for that is just wrong. Her voice was gone, she spoke more than she sang. My husband left half way through, he just couldn't watch any more."

Houston, who serenaded daughter Bobbi at one point, also apparently failed to remember the names of her backing band.

The musician's spokesperson recently described rumours that she is in a fragile condition as "rubbish" and "ridiculous".

Kart
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
I love Whitney but is anyone really that surprised ?

She was not good on X-factor last year. If I were her, I'd be lip synching - as a fan, I wouldn't care !

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
:sad:

doni1212
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Here's a vid... :sad: :unsure:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcUinxe9Y74&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcUinxe9Y74&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
She was not that bad! I wish we weren't living in a world full of drones who believe what the tabloids tell them before they've seen it for themselves :o Talk about exaggeration!

Whitney was not on top form. But also her cousin died yesterday which the disgusting media did not report :sad: Which surely would have affected her performance. And yes she should be lipping at least a few songs, why not, everyone else does.

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
The Aussie's have slated every major artist thats been there though. And they complain that so many miss Australia off their tours. Guessing Whitney may have killed off her Brisbane fanbase :tape:

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Whitney should drop I Will Always Love You completely from her setlist.

That song shouldnt be touched at all, not by her nor by anyone.

Anyway she better pull herself together in April when I see her in O2 Arena in London.

And NO! I dont want her to lip.

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Whitney should drop I Will Always Love You completely from her setlist.

That song shouldnt be touched at all, not by her nor by anyone.

Anyway she better pull herself together in April when I see her in O2 Arena in London.

And NO! I dont want her to lip.

She should be improved by then, the British and European media would be even worse than in Australia if she hasn't. I remember talking to you about this before, what day are you going to the 02? Im going on the Sunday.

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
She should be improved by then, the British and European media would be even worse than in Australia if she hasn't. I remember talking to you about this before, what day are you going to the 02? Im going on the Sunday.

Mine is on the 25th as well. I just realised it's a Sunday. Got 3 tickets for my mom, BF and myself! I dont care if she chokes, stumbles or tripped. It's my 1st time watching her LIVE!

I remember you said you're going to wear a Serena T-shirt! :rolls:

I dont even wanna read reviews for her London gigs. British press is BRUTAL!

(I feel sorry for those going on the 26th. Hope her voice can handle back-to-back gigs. But she already did back-to-back shows in Russia and S Korea I believe)

hablo
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcUinxe9Y74&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcUinxe9Y74&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Awful.

And I thought Mariah Carey's voice had deteriorated... Houston is way worse!!! :help::o

Paneru
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
The thing is and Clive Davis said the same thing, her voice now is very unpredictable
from day to day. She was very good in Moscow last december and then you have things
like this happen.

Keep working Whitney.
still love ya'! :hug:

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Mine is on the 25th as well. I just realised it's a Sunday. Got 3 tickets for my mom, BF and myself! I dont care if she chokes, stumbles or tripped. It's my 1st time watching her LIVE!

I remember you said you're going to wear a Serena T-shirt!

I dont even wanna read reviews for her London gigs. British press is BRUTAL!

(I feel sorry for those going on the 26th. Hope her voice can handle back-to-back gigs. But she already did back-to-back shows in Russia and S Korea I believe)

The Whitney tour merchanise is aweseome, I can't wait to buy a Whitney t-shirt :lol:

I just think looking at the clips, some people are expecting her to sound like the record. Even in 1999 during her MLIYL tour she got awful reviews while still being regarded as one of, if not the best, singer on earth. And now she falls so short of that perfection that she's savaged for it. If you compare her to a lot of singers LIVE, she's still very good and if you go knowing what to expect you should enjoy a Whitney concert. Half the problem with these Australians is that they're not used to having big name artists and expect the whole thing to go and sound like a film.

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Awful.

And I thought Mariah Carey's voice had deteriorated... Houston is way worse!!! :help::o

This minute long clip is not reflective of Whitney's current vocally abilities, and it's maliciously edited :help:

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Aussie TV had a reporter who attended the show and got a backstage preview. She thought Whitney did ok but she went with an open mind and not expecting The Bodyguard vocals. She also interviewd some of the concert goers (end of video) and they were happy. So I really dont know how Whitney actually did overall.

:shrug:

HJZVL8cv5_8

Olórin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Honestly the media around the world has twisted this so much its unreal. I hope she knocks it out of the park in Melbourne and they pick up on that equally :rolleyes:

darkchild
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
And you guys were judging Mariah!

So Disrespectful
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:27 AM
If you're a fan of Whitney, you know that her voice isn't what it once was. Same goes for Britney, you know she's not going to sing live at her concerts anymore.

The people who complained weren't fans to begin with.

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:18 AM

'She couldn't entertain a dead rat to be honest' :haha::spit:

Pops Maellard
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
-lIDTVtA3cE
I thought it's relatively nice. Definitely not her best since comeback but nowhere near disaster.:shrug:
Perhaps she was feeling rather unwell that night, so a couple of bad performances on certain songs was not really that surprising.:shrug: Plus, some people have been expecting too much from her since comeback. She was improving gradually but still you could hear her straining on certain high chest notes, unless she was on her good day. And she just would not sing longer notes nowadays for sure. She barely could hold a note for more than 7 seconds now.
I only got around to watching this vid just now. I feel so sorry for her watching that. The key's lowered like half an octave and she still can't even sing that. :sad:

I'm not trying to bash her but yeah. I hope it was just a particularly bad day, because they vehemently denied any illness.

harloo
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
And you guys were judging Mariah!

Mariah really has no excuse for sounding a hot mess live. Everybody understands that regardless of how long Whitney has been in rehabilitation the hardcore drug addiction has completely destroyed her voice. It's sad because she was one of the best live performers ever.

Wigglytuff
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Awful.

well when you do that to your voice for so long, its only a matter of time. but we knew that even then...

darkchild
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Mariah really has no excuse for sounding a hot mess live. Everybody understands that regardless of how long Whitney has been in rehabilitation the hardcore drug addiction has completely destroyed her voice. It's sad because she was one of the best live performers ever.

Mariah travels a lot, even fat Dream said he could not believe someone who's her age, travels so much and still sing live (pretty decent actually).
My friend promoted her concert in Montreal a couple of weeks ago. He said she landed a few hours before the concert started and she probably would stay there that night as well.

My point is she has had more recent live performances than Whitney (granted Whitney is older and had the drug problems), but she has never sounded that shitty, ever.

The Dawntreader
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
You listen to Dolly Parton (who wrote and sang 'I will Always Love You'), and she can still sing in a full soprano register, despite her age (i believe she's 63-64).

Whitney's voice is SO ravaged. It's quite obvious to me, that even in the depths of her smoked contralto, she doesn't have the phrasing to compensate for her lost mezzo range and timing.

Rerun
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
If you're a fan of Whitney, you know that her voice isn't what it once was. Same goes for Britney, you know she's not going to sing live at her concerts anymore.

The people who complained weren't fans to begin with.

u right but still putting Whitney voice...and britney (even at her best) in the same sentence is pretty strange :unsure:

Monirena Wiles
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Let us all face the facts about Mariah and Whitney.

Whitney's voice is shot to hell. At her best she was the best and nobody on planet earth could touch her, but that was then and this is now. Now she sings from her soul but her voice is average at best.

Mariah has lost her voice as well and instead of allowing herself to be talked about like Whitney she tries to trick people by half-lipsyncing and half live singing. Although her voice is really bad too I still feel like there is more hope for her to get it back then there is for Whitney.

Kart
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Do people still claim Mariah's voice is good ? I thought we were way past that - she just whispers her way through songs :shrug:.

With Whitney the jury was out until recently because we'd not heard much of her but I guess the verdict is not good.

I can't watch the videos posted above fully because they'll make me sad :(.

PlayByPlay
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Whitney definitely had a beautiful voice. Its a damn shame.:tape:

Andy.
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:13 AM
The Aussie's have slated every major artist thats been there though. And they complain that so many miss Australia off their tours. Guessing Whitney may have killed off her Brisbane fanbase :tape:
Excuse me Beyonce and Pink got amazing reviews. Britney and Whitney are the only ones who have gotten bad reviews and rightly so. Britney's concert was a weird experience I felt like I was at a nightclub, it left you cold and there was no crowd interaction. She barely danced considering she lip synced. I was left so dissapointed after her show I wouldnt see her again.

And Whitney was just a train wreck on stage it was embarassing.

Pops Maellard
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Apparently she was better in her Sydney concert last night...but some people still walked out.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/sydney-fans-bail-on-woeful-whitney-houston/story-e6frf96f-1225834200685

Buitenzorg
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Apparently she was better in her Sydney concert last night...but some people still walked out.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/sydney-fans-bail-on-woeful-whitney-houston/story-e6frf96f-1225834200685

I was there last night

She was terrible, put it this way: her backing vocal singers are sounding great! way way I eman way better than her! :rolleyes:

she was out of breath, stop in the middle of the song and coughing so much through out the show, not only that; she closed her eyes most of the time. :help::tape::sad:

tonythetiger
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
To all the hater in the place, this one is for you!

WHITNEY Houston knows how to win a fight.
But, tonight at Saitama Arena, near Tokyo, her foe is proving to be a formidable challenger.

Houston, a superstar who triumphed over an abusive marriage and drug addiction, is battling an air conditioner.

“I can’t do air conditioning," she explains later, in a humidified dressing room. “It takes my top (vocal range) out."

To prove it, Houston unleashes a high note, which, minutes earlier, a cooling system almost silenced.

“It’s back now because there is moisture and the air is warm. Oh yes," she grins brightly, “it’s back."

Whitney Houston has also returned to centre stage, for the first time in 10 years. She has every reason to smile.

King Halep
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Whitney Houston's recent Brisbane concert as horrified spectators watch. SKorean netizens calling for Whale losing weight. :D:D

Serenita
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
ehhh shit happens, keep going whitney

Buitenzorg
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM
ehhh shit happens, keep going whitney

yeah you are quite right; shit happens! BUT we don't want to smell too many shit though :lol: especially $200 per shit :help:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
yeah you are quite right; shit happens! BUT we don't want to smell too many shit though :lol: especially $200 per shit :help:

Thats one expensive stinker :p

RFSTB
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Wow that's really bad when people walk out of your concert. I think her career is over. That voice will never come back. She destroyed God's gift to her. Sad.