PDA

View Full Version : Why does Denmark do so poorly at the Winter Olympics?

Tennis Fool
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
I just read that Denmark, a Scandinavian country, has only 1 Olympic winter games medal :eek:

Why is that :scratch:

canuckfan
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
They have very little snow, and no mountains.

Ellery
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:10 AM
Finland isn't doing much better.

Tennis Fool
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Canuckfan: very interesting.

Brittany: I mean since the very first Winter Olympics. Finland has 151 medals. Denmark has 1.

KournikovaFan91
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
They are much better in the summer games. Also they only have like 5 million people or something along those lines.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
Because Pushniacki is not participating

Lin Lin
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
Because more boys and girls choose tennis:scratch:

Frode
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
They are much better in the summer games. Also they only have like 5 million people or something along those lines.

Still more people then Norway have;)

canuckfan's answer sums it up nicely:)

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:45 AM

Holland anyone?

Hardly any snow and the country is as flat as my mother's pancake, just like Denmark.
Granted that Holland is a one-sport-wonder at winter Olympics but still ...

Even UK has a gold in skeleton and they dont even have a course to train at. They even won curling gold medal once. Not so much snow, it only rains!

I think it has a lot to do with the sports mentality of the people. Im not sure how successful Denmark is at summer olympics and how exposed the kids are to sports in general.

And of course FUNDING!

Tennis Fool
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:11 AM
^ I looked it up and Denmark has 171 medals in the Summer Games, most being in sailing. More than Norway, but combined both fall far from Sweden in the Summer games.

It is interesting about Denmark's geography.

OT: Jefriliba, why did you move to Holland after school? Just curious.

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
^ I looked it up and Denmark has 171 medals in the Summer Games, most being in sailing. More than Norway, but combined both fall far from Sweden in the Summer games.

It is interesting about Denmark's geography.

OT: Jefriliba, why did you move to Holland after school? Just curious.

n/p. check PM.:D

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Their only medal was SILVER in women's curling 1998 Nagano . Helena Blach Lavrsen team lost to Sandra Schmirler team of Canada in the final

thalle
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
It's mostly cause there's no mountains. We have tons of snow at the moment... Danes actually love wintersport, but to practise it, we have to either go to Norway, Sweden or south to do so. So normally it's only for vacation, 1-2 weeks at the year that most danes do wintersport.
Because of this, other wintersports such as speedskating is not that popular here. When we do wintersport, we ski or we snowboard. Skating is just for fun with the children...
We're pretty good at curling (except this year), but its not a very exponated sport here...

delicatecutter
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Because Pushniacki is not participating

This. She's such a natural I bet she could master the alpine events in a matter of weeks.

Nacho
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
small country with no mountains :shrug:

miffedmax
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Niels Bohr's brother Harald represented Denmark at the Olympics as a football player, winning a sliver medal.

Niels, while a talented 'keeper, was nowhere near as good at football as his brother.

This is one of my favorite bits of trivia. (Harald was a brilliant mathematician in his own right, but they don't give Nobel prizes in math).

propi
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Niels Bohr's brother Harald represented Denmark at the Olympics as a football player, winning a sliver medal.

Niels, while a talented 'keeper, was nowhere near as good at football as his brother.

This is one of my favorite bits of trivia. (Harald was a brilliant mathematician in his own right, but they don't give Nobel prizes in math).
You should have a look to his awesome tomb, much better than Kirkegard or Andersen's :p
No mountains, Danes excel at cycling... I still remember cycling for CPH and seeing a young dane cycling while eating something with chinese sticks... I guess it's one of this moments in your life where you feel stupid :o
Norway... please, they take one metro and arrive almost to wonderful Holmenkollen, biathlon tracks and ski slopes... that people must be born with skies :o

yukon145
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
You should have a look to his awesome tomb, much better than Kirkegard or Andersen's :p
No mountains, Danes excel at cycling... I still remember cycling for CPH and seeing a young dane cycling while eating something with chinese sticks... I guess it's one of this moments in your life where you feel stupid :o
Norway... please, they take one metro and arrive almost to wonderful Holmenkollen, biathlon tracks and ski slopes... that people must be born with skies :o

Norway actually did invent cross country skiing...

miffedmax
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Norway actually did invent cross country skiing...

Well, they pretty much had to...

PlayByPlay
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I have not a clue, could it be that they have very little snow as everyone else says.

Raiden
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Holland has less snow and is even more flat but the gold medals keep coming every winter games.

In Vancouver for example the Dutch are tenth on the medal table (the real medal table where ranking is determined by the amount of Gold won, instead of that shoddy North American "total medal count" method)

So I say the Danes should stop looking for excuses, put away that Carlsberg and get their asses down on those frozen lakes and rivers.

Apoleb
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Holland has less snow and is even more flat but the gold medals keep coming every winter games.

In Vancouver for example the Dutch are tenth on the medal table (the real medal table where ranking is determined by the amount of Gold won, instead of that shoddy North American "total medal count" method)

So I say the Danes should stop looking for excuses, put away that Carlsberg and get their asses down on those frozen lakes and rivers.

What about Belgium? :p I mean, just look at your close neighbors. Thank god for Kim and Justine.

Sam L
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:29 AM
This. She's such a natural I bet she could master the alpine events in a matter of weeks.

Caroline needs to put on those skates and compete in ladies' figure skating. She'll be the glamour girl. :hearts:

Raiden
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
What about Belgium? :p I mean, just look at your close neighbors.Damn Belgians (99.9% of them at least) appear to not give a hoot about any kind of summer or winter sports other than (road) cycling.

Dexter
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Finland isn't doing much better.:haha: :haha: :haha: Do you follow Winter Olympics at all?

Ellery
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: Do you follow Winter Olympics at all?

Well, when I wrote that, Finland had won only 1 medal :p

Edit: And even now, Finland only has 1 silver and 2 bronze.

Compared to its neighbors Norway and Sweden who both have around 10 medals with a few golds. I was not referring to previous games and thought the OP was talking about these games only. :shrug: He corrected me afterwards, however.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Damn Belgians (99.9% of them at least) appear to not give a hoot about any kind of summer or winter sports other than (road) cycling.
The Flemish like to see cyclists crawl around in the mud also.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:20 AM
What about Belgium? :p I mean, just look at your close neighbors. Thank god for Kim and Justine.
Skate tennis is our only hope.

The 2nd Law
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Look, I don't follow winter olympics at ALL, but I noticed a lot of responses have mentioned that Denmark has very little snow and is flat. It's not really a good reason in my books when you look at Australia. We got 2 gold medals in this Olympics alone and Australia is the flattest continent in the world (I think so anyway). Snowfall is also limited to the few mountain ranges we have that are actually high enough for snow. Also, it's only really Victoria and New South Wales that have access to a relatively close alpine region (roughly 12 million people in Vic and NSW).

Just my two cents on the geography factor, I don't know anything about winter sports though.

gentenaire
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Skate tennis is our only hope.

or Tennis biathlon. Players ski to a court, hit a few balls. For every point lost, they must do a couple of extra rounds. Then they must ski as quickly as possible to Carlos for some illegal coaching, then ski back to the court and hit some more balls.

Elwin.
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Well Holland won a gold medal at snowboarding :worship:
So we are not only good at speedskating:p

Chrissie-fan
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
or Tennis biathlon. Players ski to a court, hit a few balls. For every point lost, they must do a couple of extra rounds. Then they must ski as quickly as possible to Carlos for some illegal coaching, then ski back to the court and hit some more balls.

:lol:

gentenaire
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Look, I don't follow winter olympics at ALL, but I noticed a lot of responses have mentioned that Denmark has very little snow and is flat. It's not really a good reason in my books when you look at Australia. We got 2 gold medals in this Olympics alone and Australia is the flattest continent in the world (I think so anyway). Snowfall is also limited to the few mountain ranges we have that are actually high enough for snow. Also, it's only really Victoria and New South Wales that have access to a relatively close alpine region (roughly 12 million people in Vic and NSW).

Just my two cents on the geography factor, I don't know anything about winter sports though.

Having a few alpine regions is still better than having none at all. If you have people growing up in one of those few alpine regions, they do stand a chance of doing well. For countries with no mountains, kids would have to start going to a boarding school abroad at a very early age, separated from their families, with no guarantee at all of ever making it.

Also, I noticed the winter sports Australia is good at, are the X-games kind of sports. I suppose a few of the people involved, started skateboarding first, or gymnastics.

You've also got to wonder if winning medals is all that important. Over here, sport is considered a leisure activity. Kids are being discouraged from doing sports at a high level, it's always considered better to get a degree. If you invest an awful lot of money, you'll get medal winners. But you've got to wonder if it's all worth it.

Golovinjured.
Feb 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Having a few alpine regions is still better than having none at all. If you have people growing up in one of those few alpine regions, they do stand a chance of doing well. For countries with no mountains, kids would have to start going to a boarding school abroad at a very early age, separated from their families, with no guarantee at all of ever making it.

Also, I noticed the winter sports Australia is good at, are the X-games kind of sports. I suppose a few of the people involved, started skateboarding first, or gymnastics.

You've also got to wonder if winning medals is all that important. Over here, sport is considered a leisure activity. Kids are being discouraged from doing sports at a high level, it's always considered better to get a degree. If you invest an awful lot of money, you'll get medal winners. But you've got to wonder if it's all worth it.

Torah Bright grew up there.

Lydia Lassila was originally a gymnast, I remember watching her compete a few times, and only turned to freestyle skiing as an adult.

Alisa Camplin was also a gymnast

Dale Begg Smith was raised in Canada.

Steven Bradbury is just a freak of nature. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Andreas
Feb 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Because no one here cares about outdoor wintersports and I can't mention a single place where you can skii - not like we have much snow anyway, except for this year. The only popular wintersports here are curling, ice hockey and figure skating and they are all practised indoors.

Our ice hockey team used to be pretty good, now it sucks :lol: Our female curling team usually win a medal at the championships, they just had an awful start to this Olympics which was almost impossible to recover, and we don't really have any good figure skaters though I can see a lot of girls practise at the place I play tennis :lol:

Bonta
Feb 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Australians may have a laid-back approach to sports, but the government invests a lot of money in professional sports.
The reason that the Netherlands probably won't organise the Olympic Games in 2028 (100 years after Amsterdam) is because we don't have the same facilities as Australia.
Tennis facilities are pretty uninspiring too, that's one reason why the Dutch tennis players born between 1977 and 1989 are nowhere to be found.
Tennis fans in the Netherlands are lucky that Krajieck had an early breakthrough.

thalle
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM

If you have just one tiny mountain, then you have more mountains than Denmark... Cause there's NONE!

spiceboy
Feb 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Brittany: I mean since the very first Winter Olympics. Finland has 151 medals. Denmark has 1.

:eek::eek::eek:

Even crappy Spain in winter Olympics has done better :haha:

Dandy_Warhol
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
you can't always push your way through snow and ice :shrug:

gentenaire
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Even crappy Spain in winter Olympics has done better :haha:

Spain has the Pyrenees.

hellas719
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Spain has the Pyrenees.

Greece has a lot of mountains, but never a Winter Olympic medal :p

Tennis Fool
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
So at these games, Denmark presented 18 athletes; most were in men's and women's curling, but also two in alpine skiing, one in biathlon and one in snowboard cross.

According to Wikipedia, one of the skiers was DQ'd because his boots did not conform to regulations.

The women's curling team finished 5th.