PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Olympic Champion Sven Kramer to NBC Reporter: 'Are you stupid?'

tenn_ace
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
In the below clip, a reporter asks Kramer, "If you can say your name and your country and what you just won here." Kramer quickly interjects: "Are you stupid? Hell no I'm not going to do that."
Speaking later in a Dutch interview, Kramer explains: "Come on, this is ridiculous. You've just become Olympic gold medal winner. She was there when it happened and then you have to sum up your whole biography, etc. She's crazy." (Note: this translation is taken from the text in the video below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIkgCbljJys

young_gunner913
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
he fails to realize the only kramer that people care about is cosmo kramer.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/files/2009/05/17-cosmo-kramer.jpg

Golovinjured.
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Go Sven :inlove::inlove::inlove:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM
he fails to realize the only kramer that people care about is cosmo kramer.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/files/2009/05/17-cosmo-kramer.jpg

:haha:

Apoleb
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
:haha: Loves it.

hablo
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I love it. :haha:

Well done, Sven... He had just won the gold medal for heaven's sake!!!

That NBC interviewer should have done her research or introduced him herself to the viewer... :tape:

Kworb
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM
Just look him up on Wikipedia, bitch.

Ryan
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:13 AM
Legit. She probably got grilled haha.

XaDavK_Kapri
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one who feels like this was just a big misunderstanding ? She probably just wanted a bit of him saying : "I'm Sven Kramer, Olympic champion on the 5000", that kinda thing. And he took it to mean : "Ok so who am I interviewing here ?"

She should've been clearer and he shouldn't have been so short-tempered :p

canuckfan
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Am I the only one who feels like this was just a big misunderstanding ? She probably just wanted a bit of him saying : "I'm Sven Kramer, Olympic champion on the 5000", that kinda thing. And he took it to mean : "Ok so who am I interviewing here ?"

Yeah I think you're right. She knew who he was. Why would she interview a random dutch skater?

kris719
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
well what the fuck does he expect doing an interview for an american audience who doesn't have a clue who he is :shrug:

Apoleb
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM
well what the fuck does he expect doing an interview for an american audience who doesn't have a clue who he is :shrug:

Uhm, to be introduced by the presenter? It's pretty freakin stupid and condescending to ask an Olympic gold medal winner to tell his name, his country, and what he just won.

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
He's a dick.

Blu€
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
:haha::haha: gutsy

Bayo
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM

My first thought too. You see that type of thing in promos all the time.

Agree with your last point too.

Either way, no use for rude people.

cellophane
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:44 AM
Looks like an ass.

kris719
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:28 AM
Uhm, to be introduced by the presenter? It's pretty freakin stupid and condescending to ask an Olympic gold medal winner to tell his name, his country, and what he just won.

ok, just watched the video and it's fucking hilarious :lol:

Wiggly
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:31 AM

Yeah, it was probably what she meant.
Kramer might not be used to it but North American do these things quite a lot.

moby
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM

She should've been clearer and he shouldn't have been so short-tempered :pAgreed. Some people just like to be bitches. :lol:

So he wins a Gold medal and he thinks he's too good to introduce himself?

Golovinjured.
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:48 AM
He's so cute. :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:23 AM
Seems like a misunderstanding. I'd be embarassed if an athlete I supported behaved like that. What gross arrogance.

Too bad he's cute with that kind of attitude.

Hurley
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM
Don't care. Want.

Apoleb
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:24 AM
I don't think it's a "misunderstanding." He's aware that she knows who he is, but she's asking him to introduce himself to a foreign audience. The whole stupidity in this thing is having to do that right after winning the gold medal. It reeks of condescension to his discipline and competition. If the audience is unaware, then it's the job of the media to do so; and I think that's how he took it given the discussion afterwards about the state of speed skating in Canada/US.

moby
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM
I don't think it's a "misunderstanding." He's aware that she knows who he is, but she's asking him to introduce himself to a foreign audience. The whole stupidity in this thing is having to do that right after winning the gold medal. It reeks of condescension to his discipline and competition. If the audience is unaware, then it's the job of the media to do so; and I think that's how he took it given the discussion afterwards about the state of speed skating in Canada/US.He doesn't have to be a meanie anyway. And she did say afterwards it is for "tape identification" (which I guess makes the raw footage easier to mark for the the editors - and having him say his own name ensures that it will be pronounced correctly on the news) - and he still went "I'm not going to do it."

Apoleb
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
He doesn't have to be a meanie anyway. And she did say afterwards it is for "tape identification" (which I guess makes the raw footage easier to mark for the the editors - and having him say his own name ensures that it will be pronounced correctly on the news) - and he still went "I'm not going to do it."

Refusing to answer and telling her he won't do it is very justifiable imo, cause like I said, I do think it's condescending. Telling her she's stupid is maybe uncalled for but it means he knows how to cut a bitch, so I give him a further +1 :lol: And the second reason isn't really that much better: these guys are involved in sports, so the least they should be able to do is identify a gold medal winner in a sport where Americans are also heavy favorites (and it's not like he approached them for an interview). :help: If this was in a more personal setting, then no. But he's in the oval and just completed his race.

GrandMartha
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM
i really don't understand what the reporter was trying to ask :confused:

Boreas
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM
That's definitely one of the more original questions I've ever heard. The Dutch probably expected a typical "How do you feel right after winning the gold medal?" question and had prepared a typical, "I made a perfect race, I'm so happy!" answer. Probably she didn't want viewers to fall asleep in front of their TVs.

So, kudos to her, at least she made it interesting:yeah:

Halepsova
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM

It's still stupid if she even meant that. I mean why does he need to introduce himself? He isn't the one coming up to her and ask to be on a camera :o If she wants to interview him, she needs to introduce him herself. I'd be pissed off as well if I were him.

Haimar
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
She's been asking these stupid questions the whole week! At some skaters she just asks the name and then finishes the interview, come on do your work properly and ask decent questions!

Elwin.
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
SVEN IS GOAT :bowdown:

delicatecutter
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM
SVEN IS GOAT :bowdown:

No you are! :inlove:

Sven is pretty damn cute though. :hearts:

Apoleb
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
She's been asking these stupid questions the whole week! At some skaters she just asks the name and then finishes the interview, come on do your work properly and ask decent questions!

Maybe that's why she wasn't surprised and was like "I know" when he asked her if she's stupid. :rolls:

LoveFifteen
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM
This guy is a smug asshole. This woman was not interviewing him on TV. Have you seen the clip? She's not a TV reporter trying to get an on-camera interview. She's trying to get a tape recording with his voice. It's standard journalism practice to get the person to state their name so that if the voice-recorded tape goes somewhere else, the listener will hear this at the beginning. She definitely could have explained this, but there was no need to call her stupid. It's so common to ask people to state their name for the record. That's a very common, normal practice for print-media jornalists. Again, this woman was not a TV journalist; hence, the horrific camera work and sound quality on the video clip.

The guy is just a pretentious asshole. :shrug:

hablo
Feb 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM

Why am I not surprised. :tape:

Wigglytuff
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM

that was my first thought tooo.

i HATE rude people. no need to be rude.

Bayo
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
This guy is a smug asshole. This woman was not interviewing him on TV. Have you seen the clip? She's not a TV reporter trying to get an on-camera interview. She's trying to get a tape recording with his voice. It's standard journalism practice to get the person to state their name so that if the voice-recorded tape goes somewhere else, the listener will hear this at the beginning. She definitely could have explained this, but there was no need to call her stupid. It's so common to ask people to state their name for the record. That's a very common, normal practice for print-media jornalists. Again, this woman was not a TV journalist; hence, the horrific camera work and sound quality on the video clip.

The guy is just a pretentious asshole. :shrug:

Another good point.

DragonFlame
Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
This is literally his "15 minutes" of fame :lol::p

This guy was/is:

-World champion juniors
-Won 19 worldcups
-4 times national allround champion(3 consecutive RIGHT NOW)
-4 times european allround champion(4 consecutive RIGHT NOW)
-3 times world allround champion(3 consecutive RIGHT NOW)
-3 times world Distance champion(3 consecutive RIGHT NOW) in 5k, 10k, AND Teampursuit
-Gold medalist, Silver medalist AND Bronze medalist @ olympics.
-World Record Holder in 5k, 10k, AND Teampursuit

I think he lost 1 RACE in the last 4 years in his distances, and it wasn't even on a big stage. Why the hell would he introduce himself like that after winning the gold medal after performing like this the last 4 years. :lol: He's a skating legend.

Joana
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:01 AM

LoveFifteen explained why that is so.

I think she could have explained what she was trying to do, so it wouldn't look like she was trying to interview him, in which case asking him to present himself really would look almost like an insult. But that doesn't justify him calling her stupid. Those athletes should remember that, apart from their talent and hard work, they have the media to thank for their fame and glory.

Apoleb
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
LoveFifteen explained why that is so.

I think she could have explained what she was trying to do, so it wouldn't look like she was trying to interview him, in which case asking him to present himself really would look almost like an insult. But that doesn't justify him calling her stupid. Those athletes should remember that, apart from their talent and hard work, they have the media to thank for their fame and glory.

He said that it was NBC; so he definitely at least thought it was a TV interview. But if it's indeed a print media, then Joana's post seals the deal, and it's time to close the thread. :p (except that I don't think atheletes own anything to the media. They are also used and abused for the latter's success).

BTW, the clip was removed because an IOC "copyright" claim. :eek:

Bayo
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
A certain old lady is having a laugh right about now.

Haimar
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM

Yeah :lol:

young_gunner913
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Proof that karma is a bitch.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/psp358/gifs/lafayette-laugh.gif

Elwin.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
His coach sent him in the wrong lane.
He said; the inside lane and he pointed :hysteric:

Karma indeed.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
I bet that coach is running for his life right now. :lol:

jefrilibra
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
OMFG!

This thread is really golden! Talk about poetic justice! :spit:

RFSTB
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
:rolls::rolls::rolls:

selking
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah he seems like a huge douche but this isn't his 15 minutes of fame. Just because he isn't known in america, doesn't mean he isn't a star in other places.

Haimar
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah he seems like a huge douche but this isn't his 15 minutes of fame. Just because he isn't known in america, doesn't mean he isn't a star in other places.

Yeah his a giant star in Holland, does commercials and stuff like that. Generally he's a really nice guy, but he has his diva moments

Bayo
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:46 PM

And with this I lost my bad rep virginity.

young_gunner913
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
And with this I lost my bad rep virginity.

How appropriate that its a red dot huh?

Bayo
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
How appropriate that its a red dot huh?

LOL.

I was expecting the first to be more, oh, I don't know, electric. Then you see it and it's just a little dot. (No offense, "Rik.")

AkademiQ
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Cosmic karma.

LoveFifteen
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
So delicious! :hearts:

Karma's a bitch!!!

I wonder if that same reporter was there to ask him "Are you stupid?" :tape:

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:35 AM
He should be asking his coach this. :sobbing:

hablo
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:41 AM
He should be asking his coach this. :sobbing:

Exactly: his instinct was to go into the outer lane and then his coach told him to go inside lane. :help::o

Should have followed his intuition ultimately, I guess.

Infiniti2001
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
So delicious! :hearts:

Karma's a bitch!!!

I wonder if that same reporter was there to ask him "Are you stupid?" :tape:

:lol: He treated his coach, and the team mate who won the bronze medal like crap when they tried to console him :lol:

Golovinjured.
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM
:lol: He treated his coach, and the team mate who won the bronze medal like crap when they tried to console him :lol:

What would you do?

Infiniti2001
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
What would you do?

I doubt I would've acted like 6 year old with the world watching :shrug: His team mate did nothing wrong-- he had no business being an ass to him. Now I know I would have waited to deal with the coach in private :lol:

Elwin.
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I doubt I would've acted like 6 year old with the world watching :shrug: His team mate did nothing wrong-- he had no business being an ass to him. Now I know I would have waited to deal with the coach in private :lol:

Oh please. You did not saw the interview he gave soon afterwards to dutch tv. He was so professional. Pure CLASS! I am still surprised he did not killed someone :lol:

Infiniti2001
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Oh please. You did not saw the interview he gave soon afterwards to dutch tv. He was so professional. Pure CLASS! I am still surprised he did not killed someone :lol:

You are correct. I did not saw the dutch tv interview. I simply commented on what I saw on American t.v. :shrug:

irma
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM

His faith seems to be a bigger deal in my country then the political problems at the moment :o

PlayByPlay
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Woooow that was harsh. She should have done her research as a journalist and introduce him to viewers. She was trying to take the easy way out and it backfired in her face. :lol:

LoveFifteen
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Woooow that was harsh. She should have done her research as a journalist and introduce him to viewers. She was trying to take the easy way out and it backfired in her face. :lol:

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong here. She wasn't doing anything for viewers. It was an interview into a tape recorder. It was filmed by someone, but it wasn't being filmed by NBC, and she wasn't speaking at the camera like a video host. Hence, the horrid sound quality. She wasn't hooked up to a microphone. :shrug:

As for him being a classy guy, check this (http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010/02/24/dutch-speedskater-sven-kramer-to-apologize-for-shoving-worker-after-his-startling-dq-78818/)out. :tape:

He shoved some random worker while he was pitching his diva-like hissy fit. :o