PDA

View Full Version : what should i see before the Oscars?

moon
Feb 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM
The Oscars are two weeks away. :help:
Realistically i should be able to see about 4 (maybe 5)or so movies before then.
Any recommendations about what i should see before the big night?

I've already seen:
Up
Julie & Julia
Up in the Air

Would like to see:
Blind Side (love Sandy B)
Precious (love multiple people in the cast, plus it's produced by Oprah)
Hurt Locker (intrigued that this is J. Cameron's ex-wife who directed this)

Any recommendations would be helpful.
Or if you could tell me any reason why i SHOULDN'T see any movie on my list, that would be great too.
thanks!

saul1333
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Are you trying to watch only movies nominated? B/c as your name says, Moon is a great film to watch.

Also try to see A Serious Man and Up in the Air. Your list looks good for the ones you want to see (especially Hurt Locker :yeah:)

And try to give Avatar a watch so if it wins you can be upset of how undeserving it is :lol:

Brooklyn90
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
1. Nine
2. Precious
3. Up In The Air
4. Hurt Locker
And yes Moon is a terrific film :worship:
I'm still Waiting to so A Single Man as well :yeah:
I really couldn't get into The Blind Side that much.

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Moon, you've got to see Precious. I think it's really good.

I think Blind Side is meh but worth watching for Sandra Bullock's soon-to-be Oscar winning role. LOL

I recommend An Education and A Serious Man (by Coen brothers, weird but you might like it).

mckyle.
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Whatever interests you.

Szavay #1
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
imo you should see the hurt locker cause it'll prolly win best picture and best director (the first woman to win and you know how we love to break barriers in the u.s. :lol: ). i didn't think it was all that great (the filmmaking is fantastic tho) but i totally recommend that you see it cause it's gonna be a big winner.

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM
imo you should the hurt locker cause it'll prolly win best picture and best director (the first woman to win and you know how we love to break the barriers in the u.s. :lol: ). i didn't think it was all that great (the filmmaking is fantastic tho) but i totally recommend that you see it cause it's gonna be a big winner.
I really hope she doesn't for the sake of Jane Campion and Sofia Coppola, who imo are both much more talented than her, and has directed far better films. Certainly in the case of Campion. Coppola is more down to personal taste.

Campion had the misfortune of The Piano having been released in the same year as Schindler's List.

young_gunner913
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Precious, Inglorious Bastards, The Hurt Locker and District 9. :)

miffedmax
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Read a book.

delicatecutter
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Damn, how many ex-wives does James Cameron have? :tape:

moon
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
imo you should the hurt locker cause it'll prolly win best picture and best director (the first woman to win and you know how we love to break the barriers in the u.s. :lol: ). i didn't think it was all that great (the filmmaking is fantastic tho) but i totally recommend that you see it cause it's gonna be a big winner.

yes. this is the main reason. I love to support women directors, and i've heard good things about this movie.

moon
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM

I really hope she doesn't for the sake of Jane Campion and Sofia Coppola, who imo are both much more talented than her, and has directed far better films. Certainly in the case of Campion. Coppola is more down to personal taste.

Campion had the misfortune of The Piano having been released in the same year as Schindler's List.

I'd like her to win. It's about time a woman won.
Sam L, why don't you think of Campion as a pioneer? I loved the Piano also, but at this point, i'd rather see any woman win it. And if it's Cameron's ex-wife, all the better!

moon
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Read a book.

:rolleyes: somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
fyi-- i read plenty. I teach reading for a living, and it's one of my favorite hobbies.

btw---thanks to everyone for the advice. I have already seen UP IN THE AIR. I forgot to add that when i first made the list.
Any feedback for Inglorious Bastards? Tarantino violence is not really my cup of tea.
I'm definitely gonna add A Serious Man to the list. That's the one about the gay lover who dies right?

Brooklyn90
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
An Education as well :yeah: Great Great movie! :worship:

Timariot
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
What you should see:

Something sufficiently long, so that by the time credits roll, the whole fake and stupid Oscar extragavanza is already over.

Szavay #1
Feb 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM

idk about jane campion but sofia coppola didn't impress that much. she's totally fine, knows what's she's doing but isn't outstanding imo.

: Any feedback for Inglorious Bastards? Tarantino violence is not really my cup of tea.
I'm definitely gonna add A Serious Man to the list. That's the one about the gay lover who dies right?

imo you can pass on ib cause it'll just win best supp actor and while that guy's good, it's the same nazi role we've seen b4 except qt makes it funny and quirky like he does w/ everything. wait for netflix if you're that curious.

as for a serious man that's another netflixer. save your money. it's pretty to look at but totally fine on tv, even waiting for it on ifc or sundance. oh and julianne moore whom i usually like sucked w/ her brit accent. just kinda phony imo. :shrug: (oh i only paid to see it cause i :hearts: colin firth and matthew goode)

moon
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM
idk about jane campion but sofia coppola didn't impress that much. she's totally fine, knows what's she's doing but isn't outstanding imo.

imo you can pass on ib cause it'll just win best supp actor and while that guy's good, it's the same nazi role we've seen b4 except qt makes it funny and quirky like he does w/ everything. wait for netflix if you're that curious.

as for a serious man that's another netflixer. save your money. it's pretty to look at but totally fine on tv, even waiting for it on ifc or sundance. oh and julianne moore whom i usually like sucked w/ her brit accent. just kinda phony imo. :shrug: (oh i only paid to see it cause i :hearts: colin firth and matthew goode)

ok, i got serious man, confused with, A SINGLE MAN. Colin Firth plays this guy whose gay lover dies in the 50s, and Julian Moore plays his best friend.
Has anyone seen this?

So far i'm definitely adding to the list
Crazy Heart and A Single Man (along with the other movies listed above).
any feedback on these two movies? I think they're both still in theaters.

thanks for all your comments :)

Sam L
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:45 AM
I'd like her to win. It's about time a woman won.
Sam L, why don't you think of Campion as a pioneer? I loved the Piano also, but at this point, i'd rather see any woman win it. And if it's Cameron's ex-wife, all the better!

I do'nt know if I want a woman to win just for the sake of it. Campion is a pioneer because she's been so consistent as well, not just a one hit wonder like Bigelow. BTW, Bright Star by Campion was released in 2009 too and totally got snubbed. Abbie Cornish got a lot of critical attention. I would've preferred a Campion nomination and win than Bigelow.

btw---thanks to everyone for the advice. I have already seen UP IN THE AIR. I forgot to add that when i first made the list.
Any feedback for Inglorious Bastards? Tarantino violence is not really my cup of tea.

If you're not into Tarantino, I would pass it. Walz is definitely winning Best supporting actor. There's buzz around the film, it could very well win screenplay and picture also. But it's hard to say. I'm skipping for the same reasons.

Yep, you got it mixed up. It's easy to. :lol: A Serious Man is Coen brothers. Probably not a priority unless if you're a Coen brothers fan.

LOL you got Serious man and Single Man mixed up too.

Coppola doesn't make enough films. She's only made 3 in the last decade. It's hard to judge.

Sam L
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:46 AM
ok, i got serious man, confused with, A SINGLE MAN. Colin Firth plays this guy whose gay lover dies in the 50s, and Julian Moore plays his best friend.
Has anyone seen this?

So far i'm definitely adding to the list
Crazy Heart and A Single Man (along with the other movies listed above).
any feedback on these two movies? I think they're both still in theaters.

thanks for all your comments :)

I haven't seen Crazy Heart and probably won't until on DVD but it is getting excellent reviews especially for the acting. Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Deck
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hurt Locker
District 9
Basterds
The White Ribbon
Precious

moon
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Hurt Locker
District 9
Basterds
The White Ribbon
Precious

Hurt Locker, i think is out on dvd. So i am definitely gonna rent that next week.
Precious i will see one day after work next week. Nothing like waiting til the last minute!

moon
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
I haven't seen Crazy Heart and probably won't until on DVD but it is getting excellent reviews especially for the acting. Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

I've always liked Jeff B. and Maggie G (from what little i've seen of her). I am probably gonna see Crazy Heart after school one day this week (if i don't see Blind Side instead).
I usually like to try to see most of the performances in the acting categories.

Ferg
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM
If you dont like Tarantino films then dont see Basterds! :lol: I love i though, favourite this year.

Szavay #1
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Has anyone seen this?

actually that was MY fault. :o you DID say a serious man but i was thinking a single man, which i DID see and recommend that you wait for netlfix or ifc/sundance channel. pretty to look at but save your money.

oh as for a serious man, i know it's the coen bros but talk about getting no buzz at all. :shrug:

LOL you got Serious man and Single Man mixed up too.

i sure did. :o if the coen bros movie was higher profile i wouldn't have. :angel:

I've always liked Jeff B. and Maggie G (from what little i've seen of her). I am probably gonna see Crazy Heart after school one day this week (if i don't see Blind Side instead).

imo i don't wanna see crazy heart cause it seems like those typical indies about "real" people who you as a viewer could smell the liquor and the b.o. jump off the screen from them and there's a cool soundtrack of honkytonk music, etc. sorry so cynical but these types of movies always disappoint me cause i buy into the hype only to find out it's the indie equiv of a lifetime tv movie. :tape:

Sam L
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM

Have you seen The Last Station? It's based on Tolstoy's life and has two acting nominees Mirren and Plummer. I haven't seen it but will definitely see it.

slamchamp
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
What you should see:

Something sufficiently long, so that by the time credits roll, the whole fake and stupid Oscar extragavanza is already over.what a rebel

moon
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Have you seen The Last Station? It's based on Tolstoy's life and has two acting nominees Mirren and Plummer. I haven't seen it but will definitely see it.

i heard Mirren was in it, but not Plummer. Not sure if i'll be able to see it by next weekend, but i love Helen, so i guess i'll see it at some point.

propi
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM
ABout women directing films... please people, don't forget the first ever woman nominated, Italian Lina Wertmüller for Pasqualino settebellezze.
I guess you've already heard a lot about many films, if you like more independent films, go watch the Argentinan film nominated, El secreto de sus ojos... it's one of the best of the year for me by far :worship::worship: