PDA

View Full Version : Fraternity Mocks Black History Month With "Compton Cookout"

harloo
Feb 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Fraternity Mocks Black History Month With "Compton Cookout"

KTLA News
3:57 AM PST, February 18, 2010

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-compton-cookout,0,2673438.story

SAN DIEGO -- Officials at UC San Diego are condemning a ghetto-themed party organized by fraternity students to mock Black History Month.

A Facebook posting advertising Monday's 'Compton Cookout' invited people to a condominium complex off-campus.

The invitation urged all participants to wear chains, rapper-style urban clothing by makers such as FUBU and speak very loudly.

Female participants were encouraged to be "ghetto chicks" with gold teeth, cheap clothes and "short, nappy hair."

The invitation said the party would serve watermelon, chicken, malt liquor, cheap beer and a purple sugar-water concoction called "dat Purple Drank."

The party was organized by members of several UCSD fraternities, according to an e-mail from Gary Ratcliff, assistant vice chancellor for student life.

UCSD Chancellor Marye Anne Fox called the party, "offensive" and a "blatant disregard of our campus values."

"We reject acts of discrimination ... and we will confront and appropriately respond to such acts," Fox said.

---------------------------------

Read The Invitation To The "Compton Cook Out," As Posted On Facebook:

"February marks a very important month in American society. No, i'm not referring to Valentines day or Presidents day. I'm talking about Black History month. As a time to celebrate and in hopes of showing respect, the Regents community cordially invites you to its very first Compton Cookout.

For guys: I expect all males to be rockin Jersey's, stuntin' up in ya White T (XXXL smallest size acceptable), anything FUBU, Ecko, Rockawear, High/low top Jordans or Dunks, Chains, Jorts, stunner shades, 59 50 hats, Tats, etc.

For girls: For those of you who are unfamiliar with ghetto chicks-Ghetto chicks usually have gold teeth, start fights and drama, and wear cheap clothes - they consider Baby Phat to be high class and expensive couture. They also have short, nappy hair, and usually wear cheap weave, usually in bad colors, such as purple or bright red. They look and act similar to Shenaynay, and speak very loudly, while rolling their neck, and waving their finger in your face. Ghetto chicks have a very limited vocabulary, and attempt to make up for it, by forming new words, such as "constipulated", or simply cursing persistently, or using other types of vulgarities, and making noises, such as "hmmg!", or smacking their lips, and making other angry noises,grunts, and faces. The objective is for all you lovely ladies to look, act, and essentially take on these "respectable" qualities throughout the day.

Several of the regents condos will be teaming up to house this monstrosity, so travel house to house and experience the various elements of life in the ghetto.

We will be serving 40's, Kegs of Natty, dat Purple Drank- which consists of sugar, water, and the color purple , chicken, coolade, and of course Watermelon. So come one and come all, make ya self before we break ya self, keep strapped, get yo shine on, and join us for a day party to be remembered- or not. "

kiwifan
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
again? :tape:

not shocked. :yawn:

that which is restricted/taboo will attract the most attention. :shrug:

some experts (sociologist/historians) say that white people (especially white people of means) tend to project "true freedom" upon the down and out black people of the ghetto and seek to imitate them because only through imitation they can feel free to do what they really want to do (sing, dance, talk to white females, etc...) and be who they really want to be...this behavior dates back to the dance sensation "the Cakewalk" back in slavery days. ;)

I'll save my outrage for people who deserve a bullet in the head instead of merely a slap to the face. :shrug:

égalité
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM
LOL. Classy. :cheer:

Living_Legend
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
LOL. Classy. :cheer:

This.

I love how they need to do this to show how 'civilised' they are in comparison!!! :rolleyes:

Ryan
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
:o I'm hoping my fraternity isn't part of this. Thats really offensive. Don't they have to go through their Greek staff advisor and get approval for stuff like this? I don't know how this could have slipped by.

Mrs. Peel
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have always wondered what the obsession is with white fraternities to run around in black face, indulge in negative black stereotypes and practice exclusion.

Black people are not fascinated with white folks in this manner.

miffedmax
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Well, you know many universities are having to practice "grade norming" (i.e. affirmative action) to find enough white males to keep their campuses diverse.

Clearly, these young men were only allowed to enroll because they received preferred treatment, as they are obviously not intelligent enough to have been accepted at an institution of higher learning on their own merits.

Another case of political correctness and preferential treatment running amok if you ask me.

Serenita
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I have always wondered what the obsession is with white fraternities to run around in black face, indulge in negative black stereotypes and practice exclusion.

Black people are not fascinated with white folks in this manner.

Weird isn't it! i mean why go out of your way to degrade an entire group of people?

esquímaux
Feb 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Sh!t... That's where I should've been :D

Knizzle
Feb 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
As wrong as they were they still refused to identify any of the fraternities that these people are involved in or the race of the students who decided to throw this party.

njnetswill
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
As wrong as they were they still refused to identify any of the fraternities that these people are involved in or the race of the students who decided to throw this party.

Since it's UCSD I assume either white or Asian.

I wouldn't expect this at UCSD of all campuses though. Shame on them.

Wigglytuff
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Well, you know many universities are having to practice "grade norming" (i.e. affirmative action) to find enough white males to keep their campuses diverse.

Clearly, these young men were only allowed to enroll because they received preferred treatment, as they are obviously not intelligent enough to have been accepted at an institution of higher learning on their own merits.

Another case of political correctness and preferential treatment running amok if you ask me.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

some colleges dont allow fraternities at all, the one near my college did not, and its because of stupid shit like this.

Ferg
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I didnt realise fraternities and sororities really existed. I thought they were made up creations like leprachauns and cheerleaders.

kris719
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
it's frat life. take a pill and live with it.

hingisGOAT
Feb 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM
again? :tape:

not shocked. :yawn:

that which is restricted/taboo will attract the most attention. :shrug:

some experts (sociologist/historians) say that white people (especially white people of means) tend to project "true freedom" upon the down and out black people of the ghetto and seek to imitate them because only through imitation they can feel free to do what they really want to do (sing, dance, talk to white females, etc...) and be who they really want to be...this behavior dates back to the dance sensation "the Cakewalk" back in slavery days. ;)

I'll save my outrage for people who deserve a bullet in the head instead of merely a slap to the face. :shrug:

why so bitter? :help:

mckyle.
Feb 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
A fraternity at my uni recently (two days ago) held a White Trash Bash. From what a few friends said, they had a good time and it was a lot of fun. No controversy :)

Stamp Paid
Feb 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
A fraternity at my uni recently (two days ago) held a White Trash Bash. From what a few friends said, they had a good time and it was a lot of fun. No controversy :)

I wouldnt have wanted to go to either party. :unsure:

mykarma
Feb 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
touche'

mckyle.
Feb 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM

When they say they had fun, they mean they got really fucked up. That's a good party, apparently.

Stamp Paid
Feb 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
When they say they had fun, they mean they got really fucked up. That's a good party, apparently.Being around drunk white people dressed as either white trash or ghetto black people just isnt my idea of a good time.
Hell, being around drunk white people in regular garb is challenging enough. :tape: LOL

moby
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM
it's frat life. take a pill and live with it.Basically. But I don't think anyone is arguing that this is racist.

Frats are just stupid, sorry. At my school there was a Frat party called Football Dinosaurs and Soccer Hos (??? or something like that), and the guys had to dress up as dinosaurs and the girls as "sluts". It really beggars imagination. :tape:

The girls were happy to dress up as "sluts", BTW. At least one of them tried to be a dinosaur slut. Don't ask me what that is.

P.S. Actually maybe it was the other way round, and the girls had to be dinosaurs... whatever.

mckyle.
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Basically. But I don't think anyone is arguing that this is racist.

Frats are just stupid, sorry. At my school there was a Frat party called Football Dinosaurs and Soccer Hos (??? or something like that), and the guys had to dress up as dinosaurs and the girls as "sluts". It really beggars imagination. :tape:

The girls were happy to dress up as "sluts", BTW. At least one of them tried to be a dinosaur slut. Don't ask me what that is.

:spit: Soccer hos :rolls:

Donny
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Next time, they should have this party in Compton *for real*, so the residents there can give their opinions on the matter.

mykarma
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Next time, they should have this party in Compton *for real*, so the residents there can give their opinions on the matter.
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

égalité
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Yes.

RYNJ
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I go to this university and it is REALLY racist against black people, it may not be to the extreme but you can hear people talk and can't help but just role your eyes. Like you can hear people say "oh wow theres a black person in this class, he must be in a sport." some students at the school don't know that our school is only division II meaning it does not give out scholarships to athletes, so the students who are there and are athletes were admitted due to high grades/SAT's.

The school is composed of mainly white and asian students probably 95% combined and this is a public institution. It SURPRISES me that this happened at UC San Diego, considering our greek life is almost non-existent in comparison to SDSU. The african-american population is very small, currently, I am taking 5 classes (one class has 300 students in it and another 200) and in those 5 classes combined only have about 3 black students from what I have seen. It is sad because our school was created with the fundamental values of being a diverse and "equal opportunity" school.

I just wanted to add that this school has no native americans enrolled. While I am not part of the minority, I definitely can see how some students want to transfer.

kris719
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I go to this university and it is REALLY racist against black people, it may not be to the extreme but you can hear people talk and can't help but just role your eyes. Like you can hear people say "oh wow theres a black person in this class, he must be in a sport." some students at the school don't know that our school is only division II meaning it does not give out scholarships to athletes, so the students who are there and are athletes were admitted due to high grades/SAT's. The school is composed of mainly white and asian students probably 95% combined and this is a public institution. It SURPRISES me that this happened at UC San Diego, considering our greek life is almost non-existent in comparison to SDSU. The african-american population is very small, currently, I am taking 5 classes (one class has 300 students in it and another 200) and in those 5 classes combined only have about 3 black students from what I have seen. It is sad because our school was created with the fundamental values of being a diverse and "equal opportunity" school.

I just wanted to add that this school has no native americans enrolled. While I am not part of the minority, I definitely can see how some students want to transfer.

Actually, there are 92 native americans enrolled at UCSD, but the percentage is rounded down to 0% because of all the people there.

Also, whites and asians make up 70% of the total.

http://studentresearch.ucsd.edu/sriweb/enroll/ugethnic.pdf

RYNJ
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Actually, there are 92 native americans enrolled at UCSD, but the percentage is rounded down to 0% because of all the people there.

Also, whites and asians make up 70% of the total.

http://studentresearch.ucsd.edu/sriweb/enroll/ugethnic.pdf

I didnt know the stats, I was just going off from what I see everyday, but it does feel like its only white and asians LOL (they should really count filipinos as asian). Well my T/A (teaching assistant) told us there were no native americans on campus haha :tape: Or maybe she meant 0%, but had some people enrolled :confused: I dunno.

Oh also I had an "invitation" for this via facebook, but its gone now I was gonna post the description and the picture. From what I have heard, people will not be punished because it was not held on campus (UCSD does not have a Frat Row/Housing), so it will just be a "learning" experience because it wasn't an official Frat, but thrown by individuals who were in the frat.

Golovinjured.
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hell, being around drunk white people in regular garb is challenging enough. :tape: LOL

Oh wow...

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM
Maybe someone should attend the cookout and simulate a drive-by with real bullets so they get the full "ghetto experience" We wouldnt want them to miss out. :tape:

Bezz
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
For girls: For those of you who are unfamiliar with ghetto chicks-Ghetto chicks usually have gold teeth, start fights and drama, and wear cheap clothes - they consider Baby Phat to be high class and expensive couture. They also have short, nappy hair, and usually wear cheap weave, usually in bad colors, such as purple or bright red. They look and act similar to Shenaynay, and speak very loudly, while rolling their neck, and waving their finger in your face. Ghetto chicks have a very limited vocabulary, and attempt to make up for it, by forming new words, such as "constipulated", or simply cursing persistently, or using other types of vulgarities, and making noises, such as "hmmg!", or smacking their lips, and making other angry noises,grunts, and faces. The objective is for all you lovely ladies to look, act, and essentially take on these "respectable" qualities throughout the day.

That description is just funny :lol:.

There are loads of stereotypes of all races knocking about, and if the humour is done in the right way then its just funny not offensive. Films like white chicks are really funny, even though some of the jokes are based on white stereotypes.

Wigglytuff
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
Maybe someone should attend the cookout and simulate a drive-by with real bullets so they get the full "ghetto experience" We wouldnt want them to miss out. :tape:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Mrs. Peel
Feb 21st, 2010, 01:43 AM

:lol::lol:

Stamp Paid
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:37 AM
Oh wow...
http://i49.tinypic.com/22c2eq.jpg

delicatecutter
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Justin. :cheer:

Vartan
Feb 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM
I go to this university and it is REALLY racist against black people, it may not be to the extreme but you can hear people talk and can't help but just role your eyes. Like you can hear people say "oh wow theres a black person in this class, he must be in a sport." some students at the school don't know that our school is only division II meaning it does not give out scholarships to athletes, so the students who are there and are athletes were admitted due to high grades/SAT's.

The school is composed of mainly white and asian students probably 95% combined and this is a public institution. It SURPRISES me that this happened at UC San Diego, considering our greek life is almost non-existent in comparison to SDSU. The african-american population is very small, currently, I am taking 5 classes (one class has 300 students in it and another 200) and in those 5 classes combined only have about 3 black students from what I have seen. It is sad because our school was created with the fundamental values of being a diverse and "equal opportunity" school.

Those guys are jerks, but about the ratio - whose fault is that?

Halepsova
Feb 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
This is JUST offensive. :o

No Name Face
Feb 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
:speakles:

actually, no. i'm not surprised.

mykarma
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
That description is just funny :lol:.

There are loads of stereotypes of all races knocking about, and if the humour is done in the right way then its just funny not offensive. Films like white chicks are really funny, even though some of the jokes are based on white stereotypes.
According to whom, the perpetrator?

mykarma
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
:spit: :lol:

Bezz
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
According to whom, the perpetrator?

According to everyone. I was watching a film the other day, i cant remember the name of it where some black guy has to go undercover in a white area and they subjected him to "white culture" which included making him put mayonnaise on everything, which as a white person i just thought was funny cos i love mayonnaise, even though its a racial sterotype.

For me thats just a light hearted joke at white ppl, there is no need to take offence by it. I didnt watch the rest of the film, cos it was pretty crap, but i am sure it was packed full of other stereotypes.

Kworb
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM

:weirdo: How is joking about these stereotypes any better than what these kids are doing?

Bezz
Feb 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
:weirdo: How is joking about these stereotypes any better than what these kids are doing?

Exactly!:worship:

miffedmax
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
According to everyone. I was watching a film the other day, i cant remember the name of it where some black guy has to go undercover in a white area and they subjected him to "white culture" which included making him put mayonnaise on everything, which as a white person i just thought was funny cos i love mayonnaise, even though its a racial sterotype.

For me thats just a light hearted joke at white ppl, there is no need to take offence by it. I didnt watch the rest of the film, cos it was pretty crap, but i am sure it was packed full of other stereotypes.

"Undercover Brother" also takes broad swipes at black culture in the form of blaxploitation movies from the '70s, black lingo, clothing styles, conspiracy theories and a host of other stereotypes. In other words, it makes fun of both blacks and whites. IMHO, it's not particularly funny, but it at least tries to be even-handed and, arguably, attempts to point out the foolishness of stereotyping blacks and whites by lampooning them.

This event seems more intent on reinforcing stereotypes, and even if it was an attempt at humor, is so one-sided that it's not funny and leaves an unpleasant impression.

Ryan
Feb 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
why don't you call them retarded and f*cking idiots/incredibly stupid or is that only reserved for people who commit worse acts like criticising Caro/Ana?

Anyways i always wonder what people are thinking when they do these things. Do they think the people they are making fun will just go along with it? Can't imagine they do, so what's the real motive behind it?

Just so people like you will get offended man. It's all about you. :cool:

Donny
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM

When was I making fun of any stereotypes?

Wigglytuff
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
According to everyone.
i guess according to your ass blacks who find this offensive arent people or dont count.... nice.....

Wigglytuff
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Just so people like you will get offended man. It's all about you. :cool:

ah, i missed you, the racist mod, who was the only to give me a bad rep for a post that others thought very genuine and clear about race.... hmmm you refusing to listen to someone giving a clear and genuine analysis about race... that seems so unlike you... oh wait you just did that AGAIN....

Ryan
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
ah, i missed you, the racist mod, who was the only to give me a bad rep for a post that others thought very genuine and clear about race.... hmmm you refusing to listen to someone giving a clear and genuine analysis about race... that seems so unlike you... oh wait you just did that AGAIN....

What? :weirdo: Lets clear some things up for you. I badrepped you, on the first post I found, for badrepping me - because I closed a thread that had gone off the rails. This makes me racist?

I'm not even sure what the second half of your post is supposed to mean. So, yeah. Keep thinking what you want. :shrug:

meyerpl
Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

some colleges dont allow fraternities at all, the one near my college did not, and its because of stupid shit like this.You mean when I was a pledge and had to swim across Lake Mendota with a lit candle sticking out of my ass.......that was stupid?

Wigglytuff
Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
What? :weirdo: Lets clear some things up for you. I badrepped you, on the first post I found, for badrepping me - because I closed a thread that had gone off the rails. This makes me racist?

I'm not even sure what the second half of your post is supposed to mean. So, yeah. Keep thinking what you want. :shrug:

dont play innocent you have a LONG history of playing favorites in your mod duties and of allowing racist posters free reign, because those bastards had said some fucked up shit and that it was reported and you did nothing for over a week. now the MINUTE someone puts said racist posters in check you close the thread, suddenly the thread has gone of the rails? please.

thread after thread after thread its the same thing.

thats not the only example of your shenanigans but i got better things to do than to list all of your shenanigans....

Wigglytuff
Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
You mean when I was a pledge and had to swim across Lake Mendota with a lit candle sticking out of my ass.......that was stupid?

you are too silly!!!

RYNJ
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
So today in class one of the students gave a speech, which turned into a silent protest. It is a very hot topic that is being talked about on campus and many student are very angry. I recorded this (I record every lecture) and I just wanted you guys to listen just how it affects the students and one african-american student in particular. After his speech him and a friend sat in front of a 300 student size lecture hall and sat with tape over their mouth. By the end of lecture the 2 students were joined by 19 others. Ironically, the class is entitled "Justice" and after his speech we were talking about homosexual injustice in society.

Though I do not agree with everything that he stated, I accept why he is so passionate and hurt regarding the situation. I am not the part of the group that was targeted, so I cannot fully engage on the amount of insult that it must have brought, though I respectfully support their adamant voice of disapproval.

CiVHKLPnJtE

mykarma
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM

So you and everyone else thinks laughing about using mayo is the same as
The invitation urged all participants to wear chains, rapper-style urban clothing by makers such as FUBU and speak very loudly.

Female participants were encouraged to be "ghetto chicks" with gold teeth, cheap clothes and "short, nappy hair."

The invitation said the party would serve watermelon, chicken, malt liquor, cheap beer and a purple sugar-water concoction called "dat Purple Drank."

mykarma
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
So today in class one of the students gave a speech, which turned into a silent protest. It is a very hot topic that is being talked about on campus and many student are very angry. I recorded this (I record every lecture) and I just wanted you guys to listen just how it affects the students and one african-american student in particular. After his speech him and a friend sat in front of a 300 student size lecture hall and sat with tape over their mouth. By the end of lecture the 2 students were joined by 19 others. Ironically, the class is entitled "Justice" and after his speech we were talking about homosexual injustice in society.

Though I do not agree with everything that he stated, I accept why he is so passionate and hurt regarding the situation. I am not the part of the group that was targeted, so I cannot fully engage on the amount of insult that it must have brought, though I respectfully support their adamant voice of disapproval.

CiVHKLPnJtE
Thank you so much. I could feel the pain he was feeling by his voice. If he only touched one person he did his job.

RYNJ
Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
If anyone is interested in some updates, during the past week they found a noose in the library and a hat the resembles the KKK.

Mina Vagante
Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
What the fuck is going on ?!?! :tape:

Ryan
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
:o Has it been released which Fraternity this is?

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
If anyone is interested in some updates, during the past week they found a noose in the library and a hat the resembles the KKK.

:help:

*JR*
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM

And nobody would have forced you into going. This part of the original article ITT is PC gone wild:

UCSD Chancellor Marye Anne Fox called the party, "offensive" and a "blatant disregard of our campus values. We reject acts of discrimination ... and we will confront and appropriately respond to such acts," Fox said.

Uh, excuse me, Chancellor. Who the hell is the victim of "acts of discrimination" here? Goddamit, you politically correct bitch, this party was indeed in bad taste.... and your students have an unalienable right 2B jerks on their own time. :spit:

RYNJ
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
:o Has it been released which Fraternity this is?

They say it wasnt a "frat" event, but most of the people involved were part of Pi Kappa Alpha. Also the campus newspaper called the koala, had racist remarks about the incident calling black people "******s" and supported the "Compton Cookout." Also that day they found a cardboard saying "Campus Lynching."

Ryan
Mar 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'm glad its not my fraternity, thanks. ;)

But that is ridiculous, I'm surprised they havent had their Charter taken away yet.

Dunlop1
Mar 4th, 2010, 12:42 AM
This EXACT thing happened at my university about 2 years ago.
Some kids are just dumb.