PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighting Championship Thread

truebluefan
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I cannot find one that exists. If there is one, mods feel free to merge.

If not I will use this one to advertise all future UFC events

Feel free to discuss.

truebluefan
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Ufc110_poster.jpg

Event: UFC 110
Date: Saturday, Feb. 21, 2010, at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV)

Main card:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez
Michael Bisping vs. Wanderlei Silva
Keith Jardine vs. Ryan Bader
Joe Stevenson vs. George Sotiropoulos
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Ben Rothwell

Under card:

Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
C.B. Dollaway vs. Goran Reljic
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Chris Lytle
Elvis Sinosic vs. Chris Haseman
James Te Huna vs. Igor Pokrajac

truebluefan
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/271078/vera-jones_medium.jpg

Event: UFC LIVE: Vera vs. Jones
Date: Sunday, March 21, 2010, at 10 p.m. ET on Versus

Main card:

205 lbs.: Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera
265 lbs.: Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello

Under card:

155 lbs.: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty
155 lbs.: Spencer Fisher vs. Duane Ludwig
170 lbs.: John Howard vs. Daniel Roberts
205 lbs.: Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin
265 lbs.: Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub
170 lbs.: Mike Pierce vs. Rob Kimmons
205 lbs.: Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz

Vyacheslavovna
Mar 27th, 2010, 04:25 AM
GSP without much trouble. After GSP lost to Matt Serra, he doesn't mess about on the feet; dude gets taken down and GSP controls the fight on the ground. At 175 he just seems to be physically stronger than everyone else. If he steps up to fight Anderson Silva at middleweight, without that strength advantage, I don't see any way he can realistically win.

Dan Hardy hasn't beaten anyone, 5.4 at bet fair, I'll keep my money for something else.

Still in a fight, anything can happen. If the challenger is focused and feels no fear, and if the champ is just a little complacent ... BAM ... when the champ wakes up, someone else is wearing his belt. Sometimes it makes sense in hindsight.

Sakuraba Kazushi. Everybody Daddy.

saul1333
Mar 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I wanted to make one but wasn't sure if there were any fans :yeah:

Haven't seen GSP since his lackluster win against Alves in July, so it will be nice too see him tonight.

saul1333
Mar 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Mir just got KTFO by Carwin :eek:

Now he gets a shot at Lesnar..

The Prophet
Mar 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Carwin destroys Mir, Lesnar says enjoy the make-believe belt
By Steve Cofield

NEWARK, N.J. -- The new breed of massive MMA heavyweight are coming in waves. Frank Mir dominated the division for a few years in the early 2000's but he keeps running into 300-pounders and coming out on the wrong end. Mir promised to move and be slick in picking apart Shane Carwin but he too often found himself trapped standing against the cage. The second time Carwin moved it to the fence, Mir lost control of the big guy's wrist and got blasted by five huge uppercuts. By No. 4 Mir's legs were gone and Carwin allowed him to fall to the canvas where he jumped on top, eventually flattened him out and forced Dan Miragliotta to stop the fight. Carwin wins the UFC interim heavyweight title in just under four minutes at the 3:48 mark of the opening round of the co-main event at UFC 111.

Carwin was basking in the glory of nearly reaching the pinnacle and then the "real" UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar stepped into Octagon.

"It was a good fight," Lesnar told UFC analyst Joe Rogan "Heís still wearing a belt thatís a make-believe belt. Itís all good. I got the championship belt. Thatís the bottomline."

Lesnar's long awaited return is expected to come in July against Carwin. That's unless Carwin sustained an unknown injury during this quick victory or something happens between now and the middle of the summer. Lesnar has been out since last summer having battle a stomach ailment at the end of 2009.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Carwin-destroys-Mir-Lesnar-says-enjoy-the-make-?urn=mma,230614

Bow down to the REAL UFC Heavyweight Champion :worship: :worship: :worship:

http://pendletonpanther.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/brock-lesnar-heavyweight-champion1.jpg

saul1333
Mar 28th, 2010, 05:29 AM
R1: GSP took him down at the start of the round and kept him down. Nearly had an armbar at the end, but Hardy got out
R2: GSP with another take down, this time 1 min 15 sec into the round, eventually go to their feet where not much happened except for GSP landing a combination and a few leg kicks. Then GSP took him down again with ease.
R3: Another early take down for St. Pierre and spent the rest of the round in Hardy's full guard and side control.
R4: Take down quick. GSP got a kimura and Hardy miraculously got out.
R5: Hardy can't stop another take down.

Dan was never in a position to win the fight, GSP didn't have to do much, just plain out wrestled him.

Vyacheslavovna
Mar 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Dan Hardy is a bad muchacho. He must have some Brazilian blood in him. Never tap.

Renzo Gracie in the crowd! When he fought Sakuraba in a superfight many moons ago, Sakuraba worked a Kimura lock, spun Renzo round to the ground and dislocated Renzo's arm. Like bent the wrong way. Renzo just lay there, not even the remotest flicker of pain flashing across his face. Sakuraba looked down at him curious as if to say dude, I just dislocated your arm, its time to tap. The ref didn't know what was happening and it took him a few seconds to realise and stop the fight. Then Renzo sort of grinned and simply shook his arm until it snapped back into place.

Old skool.

I heard some GSP chants early and some boos late. If they had legitimate MMA rules, kicks and knees to the head on the ground, more fights would be finished.

Vyacheslavovna
Apr 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I am so excited to see Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes. Jumping up and down in the back of the car, are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? excited.

Hopkins fought Roy Jones Jr recently and I couldn't care less. Yet somehow I'm well up for this slice of nostalgia. Most likely as I haven't seen either one fight for a long time and don't realise how banged up and broken down they are. They've both got a lot of miles on the clock.

I expect Matt Hughes to take down the Gracie, the Gracie to try and work a submission and fail. Probably Hughes by decision.

There is little doubt in my mind that if GSP was not the champion at 170, BJ Penn would be wearing two belts right now. The flying knee he finished Sean Sherk with, was a thing of beauty. If it was up to me, I would remove Duccio's Madonna and Child from The Metropolitan Museum of Art and install a video installation, calling the exhibition a thing of beauty.

S5xXnryix9Y&

Vyacheslavovna
Apr 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm talking to myself, three posts in a row
and I took BJ to win, shows what I know

saul1333
Apr 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Did anyone see Silva v Maia? By all accounts it was a disgrace from Anderson :rolleyes:

834KZjEQZWo

Vyacheslavovna
May 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Did anyone see Silva v Maia? By all accounts it was a disgrace from Anderson :rolleyes:

I feel say that in combat sports, a man can do or say whatever he wants; at some point he has to get in the ring and you can make him regret it.

In the press conference if he said something about your mama, punch him in his mouth; when the ref's giving instructions, if he told you you what he did with your sister, kick him in his head; if during the fight he gets down on all fours and begins clowning about like a dog, put him on his back, submit him, send him home.

And if you don't have what it takes to get it done, well life sucks. Its happened many a time before and will happen many a time again.

When Sugar Ray Leonard fought Roberto Duran for the second time, Duran was so sick of Leonard's sugar sweet clowning he said no mas. Later he did claim he had an upset tummy.

Hands of stone Roberto Duran: the Justine Henin of prize fighters.

Anyone have any thoughts on the first Machida vs Shogun fight and the upcoming rematch? Or Mosley Mayweather?

Chorophyll
May 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Michael Bisping is so cute.

saul1333
May 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
Well if Silva does that again White said he will fire him and he should be. His last 3 fights have been pretty much uneventful. He had a boring 5 set decision against Lietes with him dancing around. The KO against Griffin was more of a joke, Griffin was all out of sorts getting clipped by a walking away opponent with not much power on it. And his last one.

The tummy ache excuse :lol:

I think Shogun should have won the first fight..he was dominating and did some real damage to Machida's midsection with those kicks. Unfortunately he didn't "beat" him. I think in the rematch Shogun will do pretty much the same thing and Machida will have to alter his style and it might lead to a KO.

As for Mosley v Mayweather, Mosley has had a long break and is up there in age so I think PBF wins a UD.

Vyacheslavovna
May 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM
As for Mosley v Mayweather, Mosley has had a long break and is up there in age so I think PBF wins a UD.

Spot on with the prediction :worship: I may ask you to be my gambling consultant.

I wasn't sure. I thought if Mayweather was complacent, rather than being a stepping stone to Pacman, Mosley could be a banana skin. I haven't seen it. My early thoughts on the superfight are that Mayweather is naturally bigger, doesn't get hit big and I can't see Pacman connecting enough to wear him down. Mayweather should be favourite, it depends how low the odds are.

Well if Silva does that again White said he will fire him and he should be. His last 3 fights have been pretty much uneventful. He had a boring 5 set decision against Lietes with him dancing around. The KO against Griffin was more of a joke, Griffin was all out of sorts getting clipped by a walking away opponent with not much power on it. And his last one.

This is one of my beefs with MMA, some people think fighters have an obligation to entertain. My view is you just have to win. Just be good. MMA is not a legitimate sport if guys are showing up just hoping to put on a show. I know its a circus and they have to bums in front of PPVs, but its not WWE. It bugs me when fighters get booed as soon as the fight slows down. However, I rarely pay for my PPVs and if I did, maybe I feel differently.

I think Shogun should have won the first fight..he was dominating and did some real damage to Machida's midsection with those kicks. Unfortunately he didn't "beat" him. I think in the rematch Shogun will do pretty much the same thing and Machida will have to alter his style and it might lead to a KO.

I thought Shogun won the first fight. And clearly. Shogun was effective with his kicks from the outside. I'm curious to see whether Machida is a one-trick pony; once people have worked out his style, does he have a plan B?

MMA judging is a bit of a mystery to me. The decision for my man BJ could have gone the other way too. It seems like whoever has the most takedowns gets the nod. The judges are a necessary evil, but there's more than one way to formulate the decision. There was an old Pride DVD I watched, where they had one of the judges doing commentary during a fight. It was interesting listening to him explain how he would score the fight; they emphasised damage inflicted and finishing attempts. And in Pride they didn't score by rounds, but totalled everything up at the end. And in Olympic boxing the fighters know the score all the way through the fight. So if you're down by 3 points going into the final round, a brother comes out swinging.

They had yellow cards in Pride too. Two or three yellows for fouls or inaction (I can't remember how many) and you get disqualified. And for each yellow card you got fined a proportion of your purse. If they had that in the UFC it might solve your problem with the Spider. Though it must be said in Pride they used to wave them about like they were thunder sticks.

Saul1333: do you have a preference between boxing and MMA?

Michael Bisping is so cute.

When I first saw Caol Uno I says to myself, the boi is cute, but my cute seems different from your cute.

saul1333
May 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hopefully we do get Pacman/Mayweather. He said he could be willing to take the tests. When depend on if he wins his election in the Philippines. I think it would be a tough match for Pacman..Floyd will try to take advantage of Pacs aggression and counterpunch carefully. So it's Manny's speed and accuracy against Floyd's defense and counterpunches.

I agree..MMA fighters should be more concerned about winning. GSP has been having a bunch of decision victories where he dominated his opponents by taking them down and controlling the match. And the thing about paying for PPV or tickets..the audience would rather see a 1st round KO rather than 5 rounds of great action..is that really getting your moneys worth? It does look great though :lol:

I think both fighters would have changed up their game a bit. Machida will expect the kicks this time maybe catching them and throwing punches or taking him down. And I think that is where the fight will be won..on the ground. The scoring of the Benn/Edgar match was very odd. How could one of them gone 50-45 :o I thought it was 48-47 either way. The punches were about even I think but there are 3 judges and they can see it any way they want. Hopefully BJ gets it back in the rematch. Don't get me started on Olympic boxing. It has turned into a video game where the judges have to press a button in a short time span or the boxer doesnt get the point. In the last Olympics there must have been a bermuda triangle where punches were being lost :lol:

I am a fan of both..but I have always been a boxing fan. MMA is all about training(except for BJ who is all talent :p) so you can get a bunch of bums and train them to be a fighter..like Kimbo. MMA is more fast paced and more diverse with the submissions and kicking so it makes for great entertainment. I remember that they were going to have Mayweather fight Sherk :haha:

UFC 113 tonight..go Kimbo :yeah:

What do you prefer?

saul1333
May 9th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Kimbo got his balls handed to him :o what a disgrace..

saul1333
May 9th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Shogun gets a mount and hands Machida his first loss in the UFC. :yeah: gave him quite a shiner on his left eye :eek:

Surely Lyoto will want a rematch..

Vyacheslavovna
May 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Don't get me started on Olympic boxing. It has turned into a video game where the judges have to press a button in a short time span or the boxer doesnt get the point. In the last Olympics there must have been a bermuda triangle where punches were being lost

:lol: Perfectly put Saul1333! And so true. Olympic boxing has become something like ballet boxing: dance in for a jab, maybe a hook, dance out again. And if the alignment of the stars is just right and against all odds a fight breaks out - the ref steps in to break it up. Ugh.

Machida Shogun was a quick fight, so its difficult to assess tactics. It looked like Machida's game plan was to come inside and be aggressive when Shogun kicked, but to me Machida looked overwhelmed from the start. He got two takedowns, but they seemed to come more by accident than design and he couldn't do anything when he got to the ground. When Shogun knocked him to the deck, he was sitting high up on Machida's chest, I thought Machida might have bucked him off, but by then he was gone.

Great win for Shogun. Great finish too. No way no rematch! Machida will have to get in the queue.

There's a lot I like about the UFC and MMA. They only have 5 weight divisions in the big promotions, on a PPV you normally get 5 good fights to watch and I always find it easier in MMA to see what's going on. When I was a munchkin, to keep us out of trouble my mum sent me and my brother to Judo class. I appreciate the ground work. In boxing its sometimes hard to tell what's actually happening. Did that flurry of punches actually connect with anything and score, or was it all forearms and shoulders? In MMA the punches are more for power and not to score points. You know when someone gets hit - they go backwards! I also like the fact that there is so much to master in MMA, so many techniques, so many different ways of fighting. Going into a fight, you don't know how it will unfold tactically and you can never be sure who's going to end up with their hand raised at the finish.

Most of all, MMA has legitimacy. If a fight goes down in the car park the MMA dude wins. Fedor is the car park champion of the world. Until someone beats him.

* I expect Pacman Mayweather to happen, but Fedor should be fighting in the UFC. They could easily find a way to mess it up :mad:

Still, I'm not convinced I'm watching the best of the best with MMA. I feel like the talent pool for MMA is fairly limited. Like you say, you can train up a guy and a few years later he's in the UFC. There are lots of times when I'm thinking why don't you use your elbows in the clinch? why don't you put some knees into the body on the ground? There might be good reasons why not that I don't appreciate, but I suspect its because in lots of positions, the current generation of MMA fighters are a little clueless and afraid of making mistakes. (They could still take me with both hands tied together). I don't know if the unpredictability of MMA is because there are so many skills to master and so many different ways to fight, or if its simply because the current champions are not even half as accomplished as the champions that will rule in 10 years time. MMA is still an immature sport. In 10 years time, maybe the sport will have grown and have a deeper talent pool with stronger champions. Or maybe not.

One thing is fo sho, if MMA gets keeps growing as a sport, the top fighters will begin fighting as independents where they might make twice as much money without the UFC taking the largest cut. MMA will probably become more like boxing; more weight divisions, more belts and more fighters avoiding each other for as long as they can. That's the natural evolution as I see it. Mo money, mo problems.

Even though the UFC puts on much better PPVs, I don't think I can choose between them. There are lots of small local boxing shows and I was brought up on boxing. When Nigel Benn fought Chris Eubank everyone in my school playground had an opinion. And when a fight went down in the playground it was always fisticuffs. If someone ended up on the concrete and the kicks would start, people would break it up. Kicks to a downed opponent were a breach of playground etiquette.

I also :hearts: the folklore and mythology of boxing. MMA's been around 10 minutes, boxing at least 300 years. There's a lot more of it to enjoy.

* A little bit of boxing folklore. Way back in ye olde England when prize fights were illegal and all the fight fans had to journey out of town to watch a fight in a field in the middle of nowhere, a man called Pierce Egan used to chronicle the fights. And the fights that were acknowledged to be fixed he marked with an X, a cross, and the fights where a guy agreed to lose but fought honest and won the fight anyway, he marked marked XX. And this supposedly is the origin of phrases like we've been doublecrossed.

Though some people say he took it from horse racing.

Anyhow, I've bored you with my babble long enough :yawn:

saul1333
Feb 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM
UFC 126 tonight Silva v Belfort

Looking forward to a good fight :)

saul1333
Feb 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM
About 3 mins of nothing..and Silva ends it with a front kick to the face :lol:

saul1333
Feb 13th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Fedor got pwned :sobbing: