PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Fever: Countdown to 82nd Oscars

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM
With a fantastic clip from YouTube with all the Best Picture winners, beautiful photos from the films and the Best Original Song winners from those eras. :hearts:

7kRP7xGaTTQ

From the Oscar Nominees luncheon:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/16/article-1251424-084EAF10000005DC-604_964x392.jpg

mc8114
Feb 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
can't spot Matt Damon in the pic

i dont know how many i've seen, there are too many

Raiden
Feb 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Sandra Bullock should (and will) win!

BartoliBabes
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Sandra Bullock should (and will) win!

ummm no she shouldn't... i think Gabby Sidibe should win:confused: but in that pic... her arm is fuckin huge LOL its like a hefer's hind leg eeek:help:

PlayByPlay
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I am so looking forward to it.

Cosmologist
Feb 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Fan of Sandra. Hopefully an Oscar for her!

*JR*
Feb 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Actually according to the real Michael Oher (now on the Baltimore Ravens) The Blind Side took a little err, "poetic license" in making it look like he first started playing football when Leigh Anne Tuohy rescued him from being homeless. He said to an NFL commentator this past season that he started during the 8th grade.

Anyhow, I've always found it a travesty that Citizen Kane didn't get best pic for 1941, but the Hearst fortune (as it was clearly based on the real life Murdoch of his day, William Randolph Hearst) may well have bought off some voters. (It only won Best Screenplay, Orson Welles also didn't win Best Actor)

And its a shame that The Wizard Of Oz came out in 1939, and was thus totally outshone by Gone With The Wind for Best Picture. (Though no actors or actresses in The Wizard were nominated anyhow, and only the theme song won) And GWTW nominee for Best Supporting Actress Olivia de Havilland is still around @ age 93. She lost to another actress from the film, Hattie McDaniel, the first black nominee for an Oscar and the first black winner.

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
And its a shame that The Wizard Of Oz came out in 1939, and was thus totally outshone by Gone With The Wind for Best Picture. (Though no actors or actresses in The Wizard were nominated anyhow, and only the theme song won) And GWTW nominee for Best Supporting Actress Olivia de Havilland is still around @ age 93. She lost to another actress from the film, Hattie McDaniel, the first black nominee for an Oscar and the first black winner.

It's the reason why 1939 is claimed by many including famous critics as the greatest year in Hollywood (American cinema). I agree with this. There are a great many films that could've won "Goodbye Mr Chips", "Wuthering Heights" and "Stagecoach" to name a few. Did you know that the voting in that year for Best Picture was a lot closer than most people now assume because of GWTW's legacy? There was a lot of quality that year.

Olivia is still around and so is her sister Joan Fontaine and they are still not talking. :lol: May they live on forever. Really, those two are one of the last links we have to that Golden Age. Hattie McDaniel was a deserved winner over Olivia. Hattie never got better opportunities in those days sadly. :sad:

*JR*
Feb 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
It's the reason why 1939 is claimed by many including famous critics as the greatest year in Hollywood (American cinema). I agree with this. There are a great many films that could've won "Goodbye Mr Chips", "Wuthering Heights" and "Stagecoach" to name a few. Did you know that the voting in that year for Best Picture was a lot closer than most people now assume because of GWTW's legacy? There was a lot of quality that year.

Olivia is still around and so is her sister Joan Fontaine and they are still not talking. :lol: May they live on forever. Really, those two are one of the last links we have to that Golden Age. Hattie McDaniel was a deserved winner over Olivia. Hattie never got better opportunities in those days sadly. :sad:
No, I don't know what the vote totals were (for any year, in fact). I agree that Hattie deserved to win as Best Supporting Actress. In terms of these famous sisters, I think the feud started from Joan beating out "Livvie" for Best Actress in 1941.

BTW, that year Livvie became a pathbreaker in the rights of performers. She demanded that she start getting more mature roles, but was instead suspended for 6 months, and was thus unemployable under her exclusive contract. She sued and won, though it took 5 years out of her career (3 for the suit, plus 2 from informal blacklisting by the moguls afterwards). She did win Best Actress twice (1946 and 1949).

In fact recording artists have tried to use the resulting California labor law to break contracts, though in the late 80s it was scaled back (giving companies the right to sue for damages based on lost profits) in a case resulting from Courtney Love citing the "de Havilland Clause" in breaking her contract with one of the Big 5 record companies.

Deck
Feb 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Any stream for the BAFTAs tonight?

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Okay, we're almost there. This weekend. :lol: Seriously I'm not that excited about this year's Oscars. I'm excited for the sake of the Oscars itself not for the films. Anyway........

No, I don't know what the vote totals were (for any year, in fact). I agree that Hattie deserved to win as Best Supporting Actress. In terms of these famous sisters, I think the feud started from Joan beating out "Livvie" for Best Actress in 1941.

BTW, that year Livvie became a pathbreaker in the rights of performers. She demanded that she start getting more mature roles, but was instead suspended for 6 months, and was thus unemployable under her exclusive contract. She sued and won, though it took 5 years out of her career (3 for the suit, plus 2 from informal blacklisting by the moguls afterwards). She did win Best Actress twice (1946 and 1949).

In fact recording artists have tried to use the resulting California labor law to break contracts, though in the late 80s it was scaled back (giving companies the right to sue for damages based on lost profits) in a case resulting from Courtney Love citing the "de Havilland Clause" in breaking her contract with one of the Big 5 record companies.

I didn't know that about Olivia. Very interesting.

Pops Maellard
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I personally hope Meryl Streep would win Best Actress. No offense to Sandra though.

But poor old Streep gets nominated at almost every Oscars yet never wins. I know she won a couple back in the dark ages but still...:lol:

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I personally hope Meryl Streep would win Best Actress. No offense to Sandra though.

But poor old Streep gets nominated at almost every Oscars yet never wins. I know she won a couple back in the dark ages but still...:lol:
I can actually imagine her voting for Sandra or someone else. Seriously I don't think she'll care. And I don't think she's going to win either.

Pops Maellard
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I can actually imagine her voting for Sandra or someone else. Seriously I don't think she'll care. And I don't think she's going to win either.
I didn't actually know all the nominees voted? :confused: Anyway I think Sandra's the favourite. I always had her down as a likeable romcom actress who'd never star in movies that would get her awards like this, so good for her I guess. :D

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I didn't actually know all the nominees voted? :confused: Anyway I think Sandra's the favourite. I always had her down as a likeable romcom actress who'd never star in movies that would get her awards like this, so good for her I guess. :D

All the nominees may not vote. Only AMPAS members vote. Meryl certainly is one so she will vote. But, for instance, Carey Mulligan is not (I'm pretty sure). And she's a nominee.

You can become a member by getting a competitive nomination or being invited in.

Pops Maellard
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
All the nominees may not vote. Only AMPAS members vote. Meryl certainly is one so she will vote. But, for instance, Carey Mulligan is not (I'm pretty sure). And she's a nominee.

You can become a member by getting a competitive nomination or being invited in.
Oh OK thanks for clearing that up. :D

twight6
Mar 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I have seen 31 of the nominees, I own 45. :tape: Yes, I buy movies without watching them (but mostly only Oscar nominees!)

In addition I own every film nomianted for best picture since (and including) 1998 and have seen all but 4 (all of the winners I have seen). Also, I own every best picture winner since 1990 and have seen all but 2. I love the Oscars, not the politics and the whole system behind it, but the idea of movies and actors competing :hearts:.

This year I will be really upset if Avatar wins best picture. It was very entertaining, but really it was nothing outside the effects. Yes, I think the work Cameron and everyone else involved with the film did was amazing and groundbreaking, but I do not think the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture of the Year is a fitting title for it. I think The Hurt Locker will win if Avatar does not, but I would really like to see Inglourious Basterds pull off an upset. And, with the change in voting style, if ever there was a chance, it was this year. Yes, it was controversial and many people didn't like it, but everything about the film was just so solid and well done. Ignoring the subject matter (which I found highly entertaining!) the acting was support, the writing was amazing, Tarantino did an amazing job... plus I thought it was more entertaining than The Hurt Locker :shrug:.

As for the other categories, I loved Christoph Waltz, and also Mo'Nique (although I would have liked to see Saoirse Ronan at least get a nomination :smash: Maggie Gyllenhaal is ridiculous :tape: ) so I will be rooting for them in the supporting categories. Then for male lead acting Jeff Bridges didn't give the greatest or my favorite performance, but honestly I think he is more worthy than the other nominees. Clooney, Freeman and Renner were good, but not Oscar good, so I guess I would say it comes down to Bridges and Firth for me, and I'd have to be an idiot to go against Jeff Bridges at this point :tape:. Then I am really torn about best leading actress. I love Meryl Streep, and I think she's the one I'll support for Julie & Julia because I loved :hearts: her performance in that movie, and I think she is just an amazing actor in general. As for Sandra Bullock, I think her comedy acting is superb and I won't be "mad" exactly if she wins, but I will be disappointed because I really did not think her performance was that good (especially with the accent :tape: ). I also love Mirren, but her role this year wasn't as good as The Queen and as for Sibide, she was surprisingly good, but her character just didn't have enough depth. I think she was helped greatly by the story and her co-actors in Precious, whereas Streep and Bullock really had to hold their own ground and really create their characters. Lastly, for Carey Mulligan, her performance was remarkable, and I think probably the most solid of the nominees, but she has very little chances of winning at this point, sadly :sad:.

And, just a note on the directors, I was really disappointed Clint Eastwood wasn't nominated. Yes, I'm a huge fan, but watching Invictus I was so surprised by how well he did to blend the politics and sports, even if it was a little slow. He really pulled that movie together, and I think if it had been a little more entertaining of a film as a whole, he would've gotten his (deserved) nomination. Lee Daniels was good, but not better than Eastwood. I will definitely be supporting Kathryn Bigelow in this category, because the work she did on The Hurt Locker was just incredible. Plus, I will take a director who goes into the streets and pulls a film together over one that sits behind a green screen any day.

Just my thoughts :shrug:. I'll be excited to see this Oscars because it's the first time in a few years there are still some toss-ups. In the other categories I like Basterds for original screenplay, Up in the Air (one of my favorite films of the year!) for adapted, Up! (one of my least favorite :tape: ) for musical score-- the only positive part of that film, and Avatar for most of the technical categories.