PDA

View Full Version : Clerks director kicked off plane for being too fat

pov
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Director Kevin Smith Kicked Off Plane

MYFOXNY.COM -- Famed Indie Director Kevin Smith is fighting back at Southwest Airlines via the internet after he was kicked off a flight for being too large.

Smith alerted his fans about the issue via his twitter account on Saturday night.

Smith tweeted, "I know I'm fat, but was Captain Leysath really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?"

It started a conversation between his twitter and the Southwest twitter and many other people started entering the fray.

The discount airline ended up being forced to issue a news release on Sunday titled "Not So Silent Bob", a reference to a reoccurring character Smith played in several of his movies.

Southwest's Christi Day wrote, "Many of you reached out to us via Twitter last night and today regarding a situation a Customer Twittered about that occurred on a Southwest flight. It is not our customary method of Customer Relations to be so public in how we work through these situations, but with so many people involved in the occurrence, you also should be involved in the solution. First and foremost, to Mr. Smith; we would like to echo our Tweets and again offer our heartfelt apologies to you."

Southwest says Smith originally purchased two Southwest seats on a flight from Oakland to Burbank. He decided to change his plans and board an earlier flight. There was only one seat available and Smith boarded the plane. The airline does admit that the pilot asked Smith to leave the flight, citing it's Customer of Size policy.

The policy requires passengers that can not fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling.

Smith says he turned down a $100 voucher the airline offered him for his trouble.

Harvs
Feb 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
he was obviously too fat to fit into a single seat without being a major pain in the ass to the poor people next to him? if i was seated next to someone who was taking up half of my seat id be royally pissed off...
i dont get it..

PlayByPlay
Feb 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM
OH my goodness gracious me. I wonder how big that guy is.

antonella
Feb 15th, 2010, 01:54 AM
They should have kicked him off for making lousy movies.

Infiniti2001
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:01 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/fkqg0m.jpg

Sally Struthers
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I think I may have mentioned this here before but I was on a flight on a small plane then this fat lady got on and they started asking people to move to the other side to balance the plane for safety :sobbing:

Beat
Feb 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
They should have kicked him off for making lousy movies.

Jersey Girl :hearts: :spit:

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I think when you make yourself fat, you really can't play the victim card. I hate sitting next to large people, be it on a plane, bus, train or any form of transport where passengers are already cramed in. He booked 2 seats on the other flight, he should have just stuck with that.

Edward.
Feb 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Kevin Smith is a genius, fuck all the haters in this thread!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I think when you make yourself fat, you really can't play the victim card. I hate sitting next to large people, be it on a plane, bus, train or any form of transport where passengers are already cramed in. He booked 2 seats on the other flight, he should have just stuck with that.

How can we tell which people have "made themselves fat"? I want to be sure that I'm belittling the right people, afterall.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Kevin Smith is a genius, fuck all the haters in this thread!
That's stretching it. Not that it's relevant to the issue, whatsoever.

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM
How can we tell which people have "made themselves fat"? I want to be sure that I'm belittling the right people, afterall.

99% of ppl are fat because they eat too much. If for any reason you fall into that other 1% then you just have to be more careful and take medication to help yu stay at a reasonable weight. There is absolutely no excuse why ppl should be obese, its just greediness and laziness.

Pheobo
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I don't get it. He's big, obviously...but he doesn't seem big enough to be refused seating. I think this says more about the shitty, cramped conditions of Southwest than anything.

Why is he flying SW anyway?

harloo
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Director Kevin Smith Kicked Off Plane

MYFOXNY.COM -- Famed Indie Director Kevin Smith is fighting back at Southwest Airlines via the internet after he was kicked off a flight for being too large.

Smith alerted his fans about the issue via his twitter account on Saturday night.

Smith tweeted, "I know I'm fat, but was Captain Leysath really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?"

It started a conversation between his twitter and the Southwest twitter and many other people started entering the fray.

The discount airline ended up being forced to issue a news release on Sunday titled "Not So Silent Bob", a reference to a reoccurring character Smith played in several of his movies.

Southwest's Christi Day wrote, "Many of you reached out to us via Twitter last night and today regarding a situation a Customer Twittered about that occurred on a Southwest flight. It is not our customary method of Customer Relations to be so public in how we work through these situations, but with so many people involved in the occurrence, you also should be involved in the solution. First and foremost, to Mr. Smith; we would like to echo our Tweets and again offer our heartfelt apologies to you."

Southwest says Smith originally purchased two Southwest seats on a flight from Oakland to Burbank. He decided to change his plans and board an earlier flight. There was only one seat available and Smith boarded the plane. The airline does admit that the pilot asked Smith to leave the flight, citing it's Customer of Size policy.

The policy requires passengers that can not fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling.

Smith says he turned down a $100 voucher the airline offered him for his trouble.

Well, he did pay for two seats. However, you can't just abruptly change plans(unless you have clout) and expect the airline to have two seats available. I don't blame the airline for telling him to get off the plane. He knew good and well that one seat wouldn't be big enough for him. Why didn't he just wait for his scheduled flight?

harloo
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM
99% of ppl are fat because they eat too much. If for any reason you fall into that other 1% then you just have to be more careful and take medication to help yu stay at a reasonable weight. There is absolutely no excuse why ppl should be obese, its just greediness and laziness.

Do you have statistics to back this claim up or are you just talking out of your ass?

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Do you have statistics to back this claim up or are you just talking out of your ass?

Its funny, no-one ever posts any statistics proving a medical reason for being fat, so i fail to see why i should.

I am yet to know of a disease where no matter what yu eat, be it a tomato, sprout, carrot, apple, banana where yu put on 400 lbs as a result. :rolleyes:

Pheobo
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Its funny, no-one ever posts any statistics proving a medical reason for being fat, so i fail to see why i should.

Because you're trying to make a case for your statistics on a WTAWorld thread relating to obesity and they're not?

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Because you're trying to make a case for your statistics on a WTAWorld thread relating to obesity and they're not?

One poster asked how we can tell who made themselves fat, i just threw a statistic which imo is more accurate then the common held belief that alot of ppl can't help being fat. ;)

kris719
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Well I've seen guys bigger than that before on Southwest. But usually since there's no assigned seats, nobody will sit next to them if the plane isn't full :lol:

Pheobo
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
One poster asked how we can tell who made themselves fat, i just threw a statistic which imo is more accurate then the common held belief that alot of ppl can't help being fat. ;)

I'm just not sure I understand how you can claim that a statistic that doesn't exist is more accurate than an intangible?

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm just not sure I understand how you can claim that a statistic that doesn't exist is more accurate than an intangible?

Call it an educated guess.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/3522dyf.png

esquímaux
Feb 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/fkqg0m.jpg
He doesn't seem TOO BIG, but he certainly is a double-wide for sure ;) I side with the airlines on this one. I've had a hefty lady pin me up against my window seat before and it was a totally uncomfortable flight :tape: It felt like I was sitting out on the plane wing :o