PDA

View Full Version : Women not allowed to compete in Ski Jumping!

WowWow
Feb 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I don't know if there's been a thread about this already.
I'm not big on Winter Sports, so I haven't payed much attention on related threads.

Outrageous!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35320777#35320777

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/763123--women-ski-jumpers-get-taste-of-games

:(:o

Six Feet Under
Feb 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
:sad::hug:

Ski jumping looks sooooo scary!

Goai
Feb 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I thought it was because it was deemed insufficiently developed ... a situation similar to say... male Rhythmic Gymnastics.

Tripp
Feb 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I read a bit of this in other sites and from what I can understand, they were rejected because there are only a few women competitors out there -15, actually-, and they're from very few countries, so that wouldn't really make it competitive. Therefore, I can understand why the IOC decided not to include them. I mean, you don't hear about men being able to do synchronized swimming in the Summer Olympics and I've never heard anyone complaining about it :shrug:.

canuckfan
Feb 12th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I read a bit of this in other sites and from what I can understand, they were rejected because there are only a few women competitors out there -15, actually-, and they're from very few countries, so that wouldn't really make it competitive. Therefore, I can understand why the IOC decided not to include them. I mean, you don't hear about men being able to do synchronized swimming in the Summer Olympics and I've never heard anyone complaining about it :shrug.

Exactly. They never even had a world championships.

Meelis
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Exactly. They never even had a world championships.

Women ski jumpers competed in Nordic World Ski Championships last year.

SloKid
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Women's ski jumping is still at an early stage of developing, once it develops further and becomes more wide spread it might be included in the Olympics, but I don't think it's at that point atm.

pov
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:36 PM
This article explains it all:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1963484_1963490_1963447,00.html

WowWow
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I read a bit of this in other sites and from what I can understand, they were rejected because there are only a few women competitors out there -15, actually-, and they're from very few countries, so that wouldn't really make it competitive. Therefore, I can understand why the IOC decided not to include them. I mean, you don't hear about men being able to do synchronized swimming in the Summer Olympics and I've never heard anyone complaining about it :shrug:.

If someone doesn't allow them, people should complain.

The IOC excuse was silly.

KournikovaFan91
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
They have only just accepted boxing for women, which has hundreds of female boxers worldwide.

So I reckon it is still more discrimination.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Oh c'mon, it's obvious why not. They have lumps and bumps and aren't streamlined for flight like guys are.

Thank God. :devil:

:p

WowWow
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Why not post this in the Olympic thread? :rolleyes:

Cause it goes beyond Olympics itself:rolleyes:

miffedmax
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM

Not an entirely analogous situation, as you're more likely to hear people question why they allow synchronized swimming in the Olympics or anywhere else...

pov
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Why not post this in the Olympic thread? :rolleyes:

Check the eye-rolling. It sucks to have only one Olympics thread. I don't even bother to read it. I'd have to go through tons of posts to find the subjects I'm interested in.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Not an entirely analogous situation, as you're more likely to hear people question why they allow synchronized swimming in the Olympics or anywhere else...

:lol: