PDA

View Full Version : Is Rolling Stone magazine capable of giving an album a good review?

dementieva's fan
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone else frustrated by rolling stone magazine? These assholes don't like anything. It is next to impossible find a good review in there. Even the critically acclaimed albums get panned. I'm sick of these pretentious sons of bitches who find it uncool to like anything:rolleyes:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I know they definitely don't really like most mainstream albums.:shrug:

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I think most of their reviews are correct.

Hayato
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
They loved She Wolf. (Like all reviews) 4 stars I believe. But I guess that didn't end up being mainstream :shrug:

young_gunner913
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Didn't they give Brandy's album "Human" a good review? :scratch:

kman
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
They just have better taste in music than most people here. And no, don't call them "pretentious" just because they don't consider Beyonce and Britney great artists.

btw. they gave Rihanna's R-rated 4 stars

dementieva's fan
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM
They just have better taste in music than most people here. And no, don't call them "pretentious" just because they don't consider Beyonce and Britney great artists.

I hate Brittney and Beyonce. Rolling Stone gave frikking Jonas Brother a glowing review :rolleyes:

My problem is that it seems Rolling Stone is full of bitter people who hate their jobs with complete and utter passion where they feel that "loving" something uncool. How many 5/5 ratings have you seen from RS in the recent years? They\ only stuff they give 5/5 is to re-releases of classic stuff. I don't think I've seen a single NEW album get 5/5 in the past 2 years. That there is the definition of pretentiousness. Ok I take that back I think the U2 got a 5/5 last year but that is an example of RS selling out. Had it been any other band RS would have given it 4 max. If I couldn't find atleast 5-6 albums a year which are 5/5 I would stop listening to music. RS people should just quit their jobs and work in a field that interests them. :rolleyes: They are not fans of music- they are just corporate shills who are more concerned with maintaining their "cool" image rather than doing actual reviews.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I hate Brittney and Beyonce. Rolling Stone gave frikking Jonas Brother a glowing review :rolleyes:

My problem is that it seems Rolling Stone is full of bitter people who hate their jobs with complete and utter passion where they feel that "loving" something uncool. How many 5/5 ratings have you seen from RS in the recent years? They\ only stuff they give 5/5 is to re-releases of classic stuff. I don't think I've seen a single NEW album get 5/5 in the past 2 years. That there is the definition of pretentiousness. Ok I take that back I think the U2 got a 5/5 last year but that is an example of RS selling out. Had it been any other band RS would have given it 4 max. If I couldn't find atleast 5-6 albums a year which are 5/5 I would stop listening to music. RS people should just quit their jobs and work in a field that interests them. :rolleyes: They are not fans of music- they are just corporate shills who are more concerned with maintaining their "cool" image rather than doing actual reviews.

What? Their latest album was awful!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM
It's far more likely than some of you have horrible taste in music than it is that the folks at RS suck at their jobs. If you haven't noticed that most popular music is utter crap, then you're one of those people with horrible taste in music. But hey, as long as you like it, who cares? Right? Right.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
It's far more likely than some of you have horrible taste in music than it is that the folks at RS suck at their jobs. If you haven't noticed that most popular music is utter crap, then you're one of those people with horrible taste in music. But hey, as long as you like it, who cares? Right? Right.

This.

dementieva's fan
Feb 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Well then would you agree that in the past couple of year there have been only 1 or 2 5/5 albums? because that's what RS is suggesting.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Well then would you agree that in the past couple of year there have been only 1 or 2 5/5 albums? because that's what RS is suggesting.

Probably, actually. 5 stars would mean perfection, and very few albums over the history of time have achieved perfection.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I love it when my favorite artists get good write ups, but I've never used any music critics opinions to determine what I actually buy- especially 'Rolling Stones'...lol

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I have to agree it does always seem like Rolling Stone gives many mainstream artist good reviews.
In fact, I don't see many singer-songwriters getting great reviews as well.
For example Tori Amos hasn't gotten a good review for her albums in almost a decade.
They haven't rated Sarah McLachlan great either and then don't rate one of her best albums to date, Surfacing.

But they did mention that Brandi Carlile was an artist to watch out about 5 years ago, so I guess that isn't too bad. :shrug:

Dandy_Warhol
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM

ITA

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Actually they have given good reviews to good albums as I have seen them. The secret is to first produce a good album...

Kart
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
The solution to this is to surely stop reading Rolling Stone magazine reviews (?)

sammy01
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
they loved tori amos in the mid 90's, some of her greatest reviews;

the choirgirl hotel - http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/224872/review/5942979/fromthechoirgirlhotel

to venus and back - http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/toriamos/albums/album/187605/review/5941537/to_venus_and_back

Roookie
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
They loved She Wolf. (Like all reviews) 4 stars I believe.

btw. they gave Rihanna's R-rated 4 stars

Rolling Stone gave frikking Jonas Brother a glowing review

Actually, they didn't use to give 4 stars reviews as much as they do now.