PDA

View Full Version : Memphis 2010 | R2 vs. K. Kanepi 64 16 36 :(

joćo.
Feb 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Tournament Website: http://www.memphistennis.com/home

Good luck Nicole! This is her actual first real chance in a while to prove something imo.

The draw will apparently be made tomorrow, Friday, February 12, with Maria Sharapova taking part in the ceremony. The main draw matches officially start on Monday, February 15, with some women 1st round singles matches already starting on Sunday, February 14.

Let's hope she gets a good first opponent. :sad: C'mon! :bounce:

hellas719
Feb 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
GL Nicole! :bounce:

Sexysova
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
good luck Nicole :kiss: hope for a good draw!

Vikkiri.
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
GOOD LUCK NiCOLE ! :hug:
I would like a very GOOD DRAW :)

hurricanejeanne
Feb 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Oh I'm nervous! I hope she gets a nice draw! :cheer:

Nena_xxx
Feb 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I want that she finally has some luck in draws. Nice draw can fix everything.

Slutati
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Maria Sharapova vs Shenay Perry
Bethanie Mattek-Sands vs Katie O'brien
Monica Niculescu vs Qualifier
Renata Voracova vs Elena Baltacha

Kaia Kanepi vs Arantxa Rus
Laura Granville vs Nicole Vaidisova
Julia Schruff vs Michaella Krajicek
Stephanie Cohen-aloro vs Petra Kvitova

Kristina Barrois vs Anne Keothavong
Michelle Larcher De Brito vs Qualifier
Ajla Tomljanovic vs Kristina Kucova
Karolina Sprem vs Lucie Hradecka

Vania King vs Kathrin Woerle
Qualifier vs Marta Domachowska
Stephanie Dubois vs Lilia Osterloh

Decent draw! Good luck, Nicole!

hellas719
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:45 AM
GL Nicole! :bounce:

Sexysova
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
how is it a good draw? :sad: I don't know Granville's game tho..

Slutati
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM
There's no such thing as a good draw right now, but it could be worse. :shrug:

Vikkiri.
Feb 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
BAD DRAW FOR NiCOLE !
Granville (SF in Midland) and AGAIN Rus :(:(:(:(
But please Nicole, WIN GRANViLLE :hearts:

COME ON NiCOLE :yeah:

Nena_xxx
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Good luck Nicole...

#kArLoS#
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Good luck,Nicole...time to win,dont she think so?:p.Anyway I wont know what she did until I came back home after a week in Paris,so she better surprise me!(in a good way):kiss:

joćo.
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Good luck, Nicole! :shrug:

kite1987runner
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:40 AM
come on Nicole
Good luck

Merseykmight
Feb 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Come on Nikki!!!!!!!!!

Nena_xxx
Feb 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
When will be schedule released? I saw that only Sharapova, Oudin, Verdasco were scheduled but not the other players...

Does anyone know will be anywhere on TV live coverage from Memphis?

And does anyone knows what is Nicole's future schedule?

joćo.
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
When will be schedule released? I saw that only Sharapova, Oudin, Verdasco were scheduled but not the other players...

Does anyone know will be anywhere on TV live coverage from Memphis?

And does anyone knows what is Nicole's future schedule?

She will probably be playing tomorrow but the OOP hasn't been released yet.
Here's the TV schedule for US residents: http://www.memphistennis.com/tv-schedule
Hopefully we will have a livestream during the day :sad:
They will also probably be updating their official site, twitter and facebook regularly.
And I believe her next scheduled tournament after Memphis so far is the one you posted on her schedule thread, the ITF $25,000 in Hammond starting on March 1st. Don't think we know much more atm.

joćo.
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Here's an official Memphis Preview:

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships & The Cellular South Cup
Memphis, Tenn., USA
Surface: indoor hard (Plexipave)
Men — $1,100,000
Women — $220,000

Women’s Seeds: Maria Sharapova, Melanie Oudin, Kaia Kanepi, Lucie Hradecka, Petra Kvitova, Kristina Barrois, Vania King, Elena Baltacha

Floaters: (WC) Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Arantxa Rus, (WC) Nicole Vaidisova, Michelle Larcher de Brito, Karolina Sprem

Notes: Quality falls off the table after Sharapova and Oudin — Barrois seeded? Ouch; (1) Sharapova opens against resurgent American Shenay Perry (who had to sit out Fed Cup last weekend with injury) and could face another American in the second round in Mattek-Sands; (3) Kanepi opens against the former world No. 1 junior Rus, and (4) Hradecka against The Spreminator; Oudin, flying in from a strong week at Paris, opens against a qualifier; Vaidisova hasn’t won a tour-level main draw match since Barcelona last April; Sharapova hoping to learn how to win again at the tiny $220K event; in last year’s final Victoria Azarenka beat Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets, now both players are too big for Memphis; no past champs in the field for the event that has included winners such as Lindsay Davenport (2 times), Venus Williams (3), and Monica Seles (2).

MEMPHIS, Tenn., Feb. 14 -- Cellular South, the nation's largest privately owned wireless communications provider, is bringing some of the most well-known names in professional tennis to Memphis. The 2010 Cellular South Cup kick-off event featuring fan-favorite and tennis superstar Maria Sharapova is scheduled on Sunday, Feb. 14. The private VIP party will unite community leaders and tennis fans to support Cellular South - an eight-year title sponsor - and the female superstars headlining the tournament.

2010 Cellular South Cup match play runs Monday, Feb. 15 through Saturday, Feb. 20 and features many of the world's top women's players, including three-time Grand Slam winner and former No. 1 Maria Sharapova (RUS), teenage sensation Melanie Oudin (USA), 2005 Cellular South Cup semi-finalist Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) and 15-year-old Catherine Harrison of Memphis, one of the country's top junior players.

"We're excited to be partnering with some of the greatest names in tennis to bring these world-class athletes to Memphis," said Kevin Hankins, chief operating officer for Cellular South. "Being the title sponsor for eight years has helped embed our company in the community and allowed us to interact with our customers on a more personal, social level."

Sexysova
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
how do u know Nicole plays tomorrow? she can play on Tuesday too :shrug:

joćo.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
how do u know Nicole plays tomorrow? she can play on Tuesday too :shrug:

I think I read somewhere that she was going to play in the same day as Maria but I'm not sure. =/

Nena_xxx
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info...

HowardH
Feb 14th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Good luck Nicole!

Sexysova
Feb 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Nicole is not on tomorrow's OOP so she plays on Tuesday..

joćo.
Feb 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks!

Veeko
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:01 AM
come on nicole..you can do it:bounce::bounce:

LadyB
Feb 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Cmon Nicole, I believe :hearts: :cheer:

joćo.
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Here's a nice new article:

Nicole Vaidisova pursuing old form in Memphis
Promising career on rise sidetracked by injuries

It wasn't that long ago that Nicole Vaidisova, armed with a wicked serve, was a top 10 player on the WTA Tour. Still shy of her 20th birthday, Vaidisova was threatening to become a mainstay among tennis' elite women players.

But as quickly as Vaidisova rose as high as No. 7 in the world, she has found herself plummeting to obscurity. Vaidisova was granted a wildcard into this week's Cellular South Cup, her first WTA Tour tournament appearance this year.

Coming into the tournament ranked No. 192, Vaidisova attributes inconsistent play and her recent slump to a lingering right wrist injury that has only recently healed.

''For the most part now, I have it under control,'' Vaidisova said. ''I'm happy about that. It's always hard when you have to worry about your wrist, or your health.''

Her troubles began in 2007. After a quarterfinal loss at Wimbledon to top-seeded Justine Henin, Vaidisova was out for two months with a glandular fever. Later that year came the wrist injury.

And Vaidisova hasn't been the same since.

She lost six straight matches during a stretch in 2008. She began losing to unseeded players in tournaments, players ranked in the high 100s. After three consecutive top 15 seasons, Vaidisova had dropped to No. 41 by the end of the year, withdrawing from three tournaments because of her wrist.

The next two seasons brought more of the same inconsistencies. There were some in the tennis ranks who questioned whether her relationship with men's tennis player Radek Stepanek was distracting her.

Regardless of the reason, Vaidisova is out to show she can regain her form. But she admits the process will be slow. She has played in just two tournaments this year, both on the ITF Circuit. Both resulted in first-round losses, including last week in Midland, Mich., to Arantxa Rus, who is also in the CSC.

''I haven't been playing much this year yet,'' Vaidisova said. ''I've been trying to practice and work out and get back into things. I'm going to try and play indoors and see how it goes.''

Vaidisova is no stranger to The Racquet Club. She participated in the CSC in 2005 when she reached the semifinals, and again in 2006, losing to Victoria Azarenka.

Although she looks forward to her third trip to Memphis, winning isn't her top priority.

''I'm just looking forward to playing, and playing my first round,'' Vaidisova said. ''I'm definitely not looking ahead and thinking about winning.''

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/feb/15/vaidisova-pursuing-old-form/

Aww, I feel sad for this, hopefully she'll be able to regain her top form :sad:

Nena_xxx
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Nice article... Thanks for posting...

Vaidisova Ruled
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM
"winning is not her priority": what the hell does that mean :spit:
Well if she likes to lose in the first round, then go girl, you're doing great:hearts:

joćo.
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
"winning is not her priority": what the hell does that mean :spit:
Well if she likes to lose in the first round, then go girl, you're doing great:hearts:

It means that not losing in the first round is not her top priority at the moment but to keep being healthy so she can get her old form back and as a result win first round matches and advance in tournaments again soon :rolleyes:
It's already great that's she's being positive about this and is trying to improve.

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Today's OOP:

http://i46.tinypic.com/14kwha9.jpg

Good luck Nicole!

(Nicole/Arantxa :hearts:)

Vikkiri.
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
PODJ'ME NICOLE :hearts:

Vaidisova Ruled
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Nicole and Rus playing together after what Rus did to her:confused:

Nicole must be really nice now :hearts:

But I miss my :devil:

Nena_xxx
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
When Nicole is playing by CET?
I'm so glad to see Nicole so ready and that she wants to play as many matches as she can... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
When I saw some video of her playing last qualies at US open 2009 she looked totally indifferent and it was so painful even to watch her... But I'm looking forward to see her again to play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASuGUYeVwc&feature=related

Sexysova
Feb 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
When Nicole is playing by CET?
I'm so glad to see Nicole so ready and that she wants to play as many matches as she can... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
When I saw some video of her playing last qualies at US open 2009 she looked totally indifferent and it was so painful even to watch her... But I'm looking forward to see her again to play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASuGUYeVwc&feature=related

it starts in 30 mins and she's third, you can count it ;)

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
First match on Stadium just started. :)

Nena_xxx
Feb 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
it starts in 30 mins and she's third, you can count it ;)

Thanks sweetie :kiss:!

Baltacha vs. Voracova 7:5 2:1 and Elena has advantage of 1 break... Hope that they will finish soon... And Phillip afterward...

Will be any live coverage on internet from Memphis?

Sexysova
Feb 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
doubt it :(

Nena_xxx
Feb 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Elena just won her match 7:5 6:1

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Memphis R1: Nicole Vaidisova def. Laura Granville 6-4, 6-2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
So happy :sobbing: :sobbing: Good luck next round Nicole! :hearts:

hellas719
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
:inlove:

Craigy
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM
OMG :sobbing: Love it. Keep fighting bb. :hug:

Sexysova
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
so happy, I knew she has a chance, didn't expect such amazing scoreline and service stats! :sobbing: :cheer: :kiss: :inlove:

it's not a comeback yet tho, she needs to prove she can do something against Kanepi, better win it, it will be tougher if Kanepi is on, Nicole has a chance but she has to fight for it again! :D

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Omg she won :D :sobbing: :inlove:

Kanepi next :/ Not expecting a lot but a win would be :o :worship: :p

Vikkiri.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Nicole ; i'm realy happy for this win ! :hearts:
Next round against Kanepi .. Nicole has a chance for win too !
COME ON NICOLE :cheer:

joćo.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
so happy, I knew she has a chance, didn't expect such amazing scoreline and service stats! :sobbing: :cheer: :kiss: :inlove:

it's not a comeback yet tho, she needs to prove she can do something against Kanepi, better win it, it will be tougher if Kanepi is on, Nicole has a chance but she has to fight for it again! :D

:cheer:
Yesss :sobbing:

HowardH
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
That's true, even though it was a very good match for Nicole by her recent standards, it's not a comeback yet, actually we probably need to see a few tournaments to tell if Nicole is really coming back for sure. Kaia was slumping for most of last year, so Nicole needs to show she is at least at Kaia's level. I think she can do it.

Vaidisova Ruled
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cheer:

Sexysova
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Nicole's chances for receiving a WC into Q of IW and Miami increased now I guess, would be great because it doesn't look like she will get even into Q, so she will need WCs, she has most pts to defend in IW and Miami..

Morisicki
Feb 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Andrew, thanks for making a new thread, my bad...I though I could do some editing on it but I guess that's not quite how it works. Well at least Nicole won! Great Day

Noctis
Feb 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
^ banned :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I'm so happy for Nicole!:cheer: I really hope she can back it up with a win against Kaia in the next round.

jhonathan17
Feb 17th, 2010, 02:48 AM
plz pics!! go nicole!! n maria too!! XD

winnermax
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM
What a big surprise after I get up!!!!!!!:eek::eek:
NICOLE is trying to improve and win more.:yeah::hug:
Well done,and good luck next round!! :banana:

winnermax
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
no video?

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
3/6 1/6 against Daniilidou/Woehr :hug:
Not a bad loss, Daniilidou and Woehr are is a great doubles player ;)

Derek.
Feb 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I'm so happy for her! :awww: :banana:

Sexysova
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:13 AM
In other women's singles action, German-born Nicole Vaidisova took a step toward returning to the form that helped her reach No. 7 in the world rankings in 2007.

Playing as a wild card entry, the 20-year-old former phenom with a recent history of injury troubles, downed Laura Granville, 6-4, 6-2, in just 58 minutes. Vaidisova earned the right to face Estonian pro Kaia Kanepi in a second-round match today.

"It felt good just to be out there, to play in the main draw," said Vaidisova, who once rose all the way to No. 7 in the world rankings before a series of nagging injuries knocked her career off course. "Overall, I thought things went very well. I'm feeling very healthy, like my injuries have healed."

Vaidisova, who has long been known for a big serve and her aggressive, "knockout puncher's" style of play, won 68 percent of her service points.

The young woman of German descent, who now lives in Prague of the Czech Republic, had four aces and was not charged with a double fault. All four aces came as she asserted her dominance like old times in the first match.

"I really felt like everything was working well for me, but I was particularly pleased with my service game," said Vaidisova, who looks the part of a tennis pro at just over 6-feet tall with long, muscular arms. "There's always room for improvement, but there was nothing I felt really bad about."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/feb/17/oudin-dispatches-qualifier-easily/?partner=yahoo_feeds

:inlove:

HowardH
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Didn't realise she was born in Germany. No wonder she speaks German as well as Czech and English.

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Nice :D

Nicole/Arantxa tho :sad:

LadyB
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Podme :hearts: :hearts:

tiffanykatya.
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'm just back from holiday, nice to see Nicole's got a win:hearts:
Good luck in next round!:bounce:

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Today's first matches have just started.

jhonathan17
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
OOO nice!!! plz time

Nena_xxx
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Any link to watch her?

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Memphis R2: Kaia Kanepi def. Nicole Vaidisova 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 :sobbing:

Not a bad tournament at all, not even a bad match. Had opportunities but couldn't take them, probably nervous and still don't know why that long break on the 2nd set.

Sexysova
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Nicole lost it herself, her return was really bad all the match, she took a medical time-out, I hope it's not a serious injury, congrats to Kanepi tho, of course, she had to serve well just when she plays my fave, sure thing.. I'm really upset :sad:

HowardH
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Nicole :sad: :hug:. I think there were good signs, this kind of play is at least a top 100 level, it's a big improvement over last year. She was in the match until the last few games. I think she is turning the corner, and of course she needs to heal whatever she hurt, after all she probably isn't used to playing with that much intensity at the moment. She can win a few rounds here, a few rounds there with this kind of form, and eventually she can build her game back up.

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Nicole :sad::hug:
Off to Louisiana :drive:

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hopefully she can get some more WC's and win some rounds in WTA tournaments soon so she can gain some points and more confidence.

Sexysova
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
she really deserves WCs for IW & Miami for sure!

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM
she really deserves WCs for IW & Miami for sure!

Or at least QWC's...

Sexysova
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM
yes

Noctis
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
MD WC pls QWC maybe too much matches xs

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
She's probably staying in the US at least until Miami, right? :/

Vikkiri.
Feb 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
i hope Nicole has a WC for QUALIF DRAW in IW and MiAMi ...

Craigy
Feb 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Have to say I didn't expect her to win this one but I knew she would put up a fight. Good effort at least from Nicole. Hope she can keep it up and work hard. :hug:

tiffanykatya.
Feb 17th, 2010, 11:31 PM
shame:sad: but she has already shown improvement in her mind and game. More matches can make her used to tour level intensity again.
Way to go, Nicole! Keep this up:)

joćo.
Feb 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
So apparently the second set time out was for Kanepi, some old injury she had is apparently back and she may even withdraw from her QF match tomorrow or something. If only she had retired. :rolleyes:
At least Nicole is still healthy and can keep her progress! :)

Merseykmight
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:51 AM
She tried!!That's a good thing!!!
Come on nicole,we trust you!!

jhonathan17
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:10 AM
ooo no :( plz pic

hellas719
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:54 AM
^What is plz pic mean? You keep saying that...
Do you mean pictures please? :unsure:

Anyways, I don't think she has a great chance at getting a QWC for Miami or Indian Wells because last year Eleni wanted a QWC for Indian Wells because she was defending R3 points and her ranking wasn't high enough and it would've destroyed her ranking (she went to #317 or something after the points came off), and they couldn't even give her a QWC but Tomljanovic got a MD WC :rolleyes:

winnermax
Feb 18th, 2010, 05:33 AM
NICOLE :sad: :bigcry:
Kaia hit 10 aces in the first set,maybe there is something wrong with her return.
Also,I remember at UO Q-round last year,Chan hit 18 aces.
Nicole needs to win more,and she really make a progress this week.
I'm confident for her,she need to be confident to herself.

hellas719
Feb 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM
NICOLE :sad: :bigcry:
Kaia hit 10 aces in the first set,maybe there is something wrong with her return.
Also,I remember at UO Q-round last year,Chan hit 18 aces.
Nicole needs to win more,and she really make a progress this week.
I'm confident for her,she need to be confident to herself.

But Nicole won that set anyways :shrug:

joćo.
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe she shouldn't have tanked that second set afterall :rolleyes:

#kArLoS#
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Such a shame I could not followed her this week,when she started to turn things around.But she made me feel very happy,she only must continue like this and I am feeling confident about a big change very soon.Nicole:bounce: