PDA

View Full Version : Paris R1: Martic[wc] d. Wickmayer[3] 6-4 3-6 7-5

Ballbasher
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Quite shocking! :eek: Considering Yanina's last results!

Otlichno
Great smart play from Martic!!:worship: :bounce::eek:

Ballbasher
Atrocious handshake from Yanina! :rolleyes:

fouc
Match of the year, period.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM
wow Petra :bolt: very impressive out there

Kworb
Really awesome match. Super high quality. Martic played incredible!!

MBM
great match. wickmayer saved 2/3 match points with incredible shots, but glad Petra came out on top

Ballbasher
Match of the year, period.
Definetely a quality match! :yeah:

rrfnpump
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Petra :yeah: :)
she played so solid on her service games and just was the more steady player

Wickmayer with too many errors and her attitude was again disgraceful. Cold handshake to Martic and no handshake to the umpire. Sore loser.

But never the match of the year. Too many straight service games and only exciting at the end of the third set.

Elwin.
Never seen Martic play but i'm SO impressed.
Definetly a future top10 player :worship:

Sad for Nina :sad: But what a FANTASTIC MATCH
GOAT TENNIS!!1

SVK
First Schnyder - Razzano, then this...this tournament maybe hasnīt the biggest names but the quality is higher as in others tournament:cheer:

-NAJ-
handshake:unsure:

ED fan forever
Tremendous match from Martic-great timing and dropshots, well deserved win.
Yanina acted like such a petulant child today. She acts as though her ballbashing should always win every point. She was so ratty just because things didn't go her her way. Not impressed.:(

Mynarco
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Martic :eek: :inlove: the last two points are awesome. Definitely a top 20 material

Kim's_fan_4ever
Yeeeeeeees :drool: What a lovely result :inlove: Not only because Wickmayer was totally unbearable to stand because of her behaviour but also because Petra Martic was a joy to watch. She isn't afraid of attacking, she has quite good volleying skills. I'm totally a fan now :inlove:
ALLEZ :drool:

olivero
Great match!
Petra has such a great game! That's the first time I've seen her play really and I think I'm becoming a fan. Smart play and cool head. Amazing :bowdown: Congrats!

Drimal
Fantastic display from Petra Martic :worship:

She has lots of talent.

FORZA SARITA
petra is love :worship: that return to get the fourth mp was incredible :speakles:
bye bye annoying thing :bigwave:

olivero
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
First Schnyder - Razzano, then this...this tournament maybe hasnīt the biggest names but the quality is higher as in others tournament:cheer:
well said :)

gumoll
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
yes :D:D:D
congrats Petra!
great match!!!

stats
winners/UE

Petra - 31/21
Nina - 42/39

Langers
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Probably the best women's match I've seen in..............AGES.

Outstanding quality of tennis, just brilliant, couldn't take my eyes off it for a second.

Martic! :eek: What a future she has!

tennismaster8820
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Bravo petra! :worship:
Showed her potential finaly at bigger stage! :drool:

Boreas
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Kiddos, when a girl shows one(1) great match per year, that doesn't mean she's top 5/10/20 material. So we could say for 150 other girls

young_gunner913
way to go Petra. :yeah:

LegionArgentina
Great quality match. :yeah:
Petra played pretty well the whole match I would like to see her more at the net and finish the point earlier but is okey she is pretty solid from the baseline.When show a couple of nice volley but I would like to see more. Also nice slice backhand considering that she hit with two handed..

Im not a fan of her coz this is the first time that I saw her playing but I could get more matches of her and she keep playing like this and has that behaviour on court I will definitly become a fan of her.

-NAJ-
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1480/image02101516tv32.jpg

ED fan forever
Yanina has got an attitude problem.
Brainless ballbashing won't always win her the match

youizahoe
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Yanina :lol: better luck next time :)

#kArLoS#
I still cant believe it.Nina:sobbing::hug:.Atleast she never gave up.
Congrats to Martic,she played great and served like GOAT:yeah:

Otlichno
If she continuous playing like this she is definitely a top 20 player at LEAST! :worship:

JURasic
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Petra, finally :yeah:

Kovalchuk
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
good win Petra :yeah:

juki
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hopefully Petra can back it up against Szavay, she was amazing today :bowdown: I had no idea she played such a smart game :eek:

Yanina can rest for Dubai now :hug:

I hate Mouratoglou, never want to see him at another match again.

kaktusino
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
That handshake from Wickmayer. :weirdo: She's always so rude and impolite. Totally annoying. Please don't kill yourself when you will lose your next match. :wavey:

Well played Martic, nice game to watch.

madmax
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well done Petra:bowdown: Calm, composed play - a rare thing in today's brainless pushing and ballbashing era...Wickmayer sore loser as always though:haha:

Lighter
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Petra played so well importants points. Amazing.

sammy01
so happy wickmayers out, martic's slice really won her this match, it kept her in many points and made life hard for wickmayer.

Shvedbarilescu
OMG!!! What cay I say. Petra Martic is :hearts:

I haven't enjoyed a tennis match more this year. Petra just made a huge impression on me. This was only the 2nd time I have seen Petra play. The 1st was against Bremond at the US Open last year and she made a good impression on me then. But with this match, I just totally loved watching what she does with a tennis racket. She simply has everything I want to see from a tennis player, lovely touch, great volleys, a smart head, an ultra cool demeanor, wonderful slice, brave groundies, a fine serve. And to beat someone as mentally tough as Wickmayer 7-5 in the 3rd, that's outstanding.

Congratulations Petra, you not only won a tennis match, you won my heart too. :inlove:

LoLex
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Great match from both players.

M.P
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah. Petra! keep going
but i want agnes win next match

Langers
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Kiddos, when a girl shows one(1) great match per year, that doesn't mean she's top 5/10/20 material. So we could say for 150 other girls
WATCH THE MATCH! :wavey:

Svetame
Wow! Brilliant match from Martic, Awful handslap shake from Wickmayer!

LegionArgentina
Great match from both players.

Yes that true.
Im not like Yanina style of game but she serve pretty well with a lot of aces and also made some great winners,of course that she also made some stupid mistakes from the baseline and also at the net. She need to work on her volley soon considering that she is most of time attacking with her shots..

Mahon_Lorcan
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
OMG!!! What cay I say. Petra Martic is :hearts:

I haven't enjoyed a tennis match more this year. Petra just made a huge impression on me. This was only the 2nd time I have seen Petra play. The 1st was against Bremond at the US Open last year and she made a good impression on me then. But with this match, I just totally loved watching what she does with a tennis racket. She simply has everything I want to see from a tennis player, lovely touch, great volleys, a smart head, an ultra cool demeanor, wonderful slice, brave groundies, a fine serve. And to beat someone as mentally tough as Wickmayer 7-5 in the 3rd, that's outstanding.

Congratulations Petra, you not only won a tennis match, you won my heart too. :inlove:

Hehe:) you should add her name to your considerable list of favorite girls:)

Uranus
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
:confused:

Great stats though :shrug:.

PalomaPiccaso
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Petra is amazing to watch and has a great future if she keeps playing like this. Yanina was stunned, she was not expecting Petra's game. Good match by both and I like both. Nice to see some up and comers who can actually play.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
The real deal Wickmayer :eek:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Well, not really shocking considering Yanina has played almost every week since the start of the season and she's still on her way to become a real top player.:devil: :hug:

But from the stats, looks like a great match.:eek: Well done Petra!:):cheer:

The Witch-king
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM

i remember how miserable she was after that Birmingham final in 08. The MC was all enthusiastic like "wow you're first tournament and you made the final!" and she was like :/ :blink: i thought that was weird.

Safe-From-Harm
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
And Yanina looked so angry.....
Congrats to Petra.

Mistress of Evil
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Wickmayer - overhyped on TF much :rolleyes:
Martic:yeah:

youizahoe
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
At least she's real about how she feels, when you lose a close match... She's not like those pretenders who lose and smile like it's the best thing ever and then talk behind the players back. Yanina might not have a perfect attitude, but she gives the opponent credit in the interview, and that's class, nothing to do with a stupid handshake.

Hele.
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
petra :cheer: what a great game :hearts:
well done :yeah:

Hashim.
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yanina:sad:

#kArLoS#
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
The only good thing IMO is that haters will be happy today.Let them enjoy;)

Break My Rapture
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Never really saw Petra play, but I'm really impressed. :hearts: good win!

And Yanina's just such a sore loser. :smash:

Eduardo Oliveira
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
this match :eek: :worship:

Martic :yeah:

Broseghini
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Suicide :o

hdfb
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I never thought Yanina was doing that well this year. She struggled in 2 matches at AO and was lucky to win, and again struggled to win her Fed Cup matches.

Good match for Martic!

KamilZ
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The only good thing IMO is that haters will be happy today.Let them enjoy;)

Yep :lol::lol::lol:

Nina :hug: Congrats Petra! She played really good today :worship: Anyway, great match ;)

Patrick345
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Never seen Martic play but i'm SO impressed.
Definetly a future top10 player :worship:

Yeah I said that last year, when I saw her play in Portoroz, and then she sucked for the rest of the year. You canīt trust these young girls with anything. Every time you think they have made a breakthrough, they put in performances of epic failure. Whether itīs Lisicki, Cirstea, Oudin or somebody else. The progress of these girls doesnīt follow any rhyme or rhythm. One week they outplay Caroline Wozniacki and a little later they lose to Alberta Brianti. One week they beat and battle numerous top ten players at a Grand Slam, a months later they win four games against Jill Craybas.

Monzanator
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Petra :yeah: :)
she played so solid on her service games and just was the more steady player

Wickmayer with too many errors and her attitude was again disgraceful. Cold handshake to Martic and no handshake to the umpire. Sore loser.

But never the match of the year. Too many straight service games and only exciting at the end of the third set.

Good. Any reasons to put Wickmayer on the blacklist are not disturbing me. Sorry, I made my mind clear in the other thread and I'm sticking with it.

I wonder how she lives up to the pressure when she will be defending plethora of points in the second half of the year :rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Disgraceful player this Wickmayer is. A good one but disgraceful.

Very impressed by Martic.
I remember watching her against Wozniacki at the USO. Back then I just couldn't help wondering how in hell she even made it to a grand slam main draw cos her play was truly atrocious. Perhaps now I've got the answer: she desperately needs pace generated by her opponents cos the odd groundstoke technique doesn't allow her to hit hard by herself.
But today her counterpunching was near perfect: well placed counterattacking shots, excellent BH slices (they kept her alive in so many rallies), such a good depth. Still, Petra really should work on her midcourt game: she seems to be unable to hit a winning shot from that area of the court.

rnwerner
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Another good match at this tournament. I think it's because of the surface.
IMO Indoor is the best surface for women's tennis.

The super-fast court let the players hit winner by winner...

croat123
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
PETRA!!!!!
any chance someone recorded this??

gumoll
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
PETRA!!!!!
any chance someone recorded this??

I am almost sure Sexysova did :p

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=349711&page=56

Patrick345
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I remember watching her against Wozniacki at the USO. Back then I just couldn't help wondering how in hell she even made it to a grand slam main draw cos her play was truly atrocious. Perhaps now I've got the answer: she desperately needs pace generated by her opponents cos the odd groundstoke technique doesn't allow her to hit hard by herself.
But today her counterpunching was near perfect: well placed counterattacking shots, excellent BH slices (they kept her alive in so many rallies), such a good depth. Still, Petra really should work on her midcourt game: she seems to be unable to hit a winning shot from that area of the court.

I think she is a smart player, and she can hit winners. She just doesnīt have the consistency yet and Wozniacki will just put so many balls back into play, that eventually Martic will make an error. Wozniacki is a styles nightmare for young unpolished players. That being said, yes that USO performance was horrible and I remember it too well, cause I felt she was overpriced and I could hedge a bet. That feeling didnīt last long. :lol:

LightsOut!
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Petra !!! :D:D... hehe
Now Patty has to kill Oudin to set up another clash with Petra..!

DragonFlame
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think this really is good, IMO she shouldn't have been here anyway. yanina really needs a break, so i'm glad martic forced it on her. She's really played a lot of matches, don't want her to get overcooked.

Beat
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
well done, martic! :D

that's what i thought. her attitude is really obnoxious.

sammy01
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM

agree, thats what i wrote before the thread turned into a fight. her slice really did win her this match, there were so many points in kept her in.

DS.Fan.
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Really?Can't believe it:eek:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think she is a smart player, and she can hit winners. She just doesnīt have the consistency yet and Wozniacki will just put so many balls back into play, that eventually Martic will make an error. Wozniacki is a styles nightmare for young unpolished players.

I don't think it's only a matter of inexperience. Even today Martic visibly struggled when she had to generate pace on her own.
Actually, it puzzles me why virtually every up-and-comer nowadays has flawed or, let me rephrase, unorthodox groundstroke technique, particularly on their FHs.

Gregorio87
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Petra !!! :D:D... hehe
Now Patty has to kill Oudin to set up another clash with Petra..!

Prepare for an Oudin - Szavay QF;)

Juanes
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
congratulation.... nice win petra!

Morisicki
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hooray!! :bounce:

petar_pan
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
i didn't watch the whole match unfortunately, but petra beat wickmayer. that's is something to do. BRAVO PETRA.

Ellery
Feb 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Petra :worship: Amaze.

pov
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Ugh. I didn't see the match but I root for Wickmayer. lol at the people going on about her handshake.

Patrick345
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Wickmayer has a different demeanor than Ivanovic or Vaidisova. She is more of the Serena/Sharapova/Henin bloodline. She hates losing, even if it seems reasonable or acceptable as she is clearly overplayed. But she was overplayed, when she was down 1-6 0-3 against Radwanska. Those are the kind of players that donīt go back to losing to a Brianti in a big Grand Slam match. She might not be a top 3 player or Grand Slam Champion. Nobody knows that, but I doubt sheīll go away. Sheīll be hanging around the top 10-15 for a long time. And looking at the young stars of the future, right now Iīd say she, alongside Wozniacki and Azarenka are the save bets with the mental struggles of Ivanovic and the physical struggles of Safina and Sharapova.

is1531
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
This match really saddened me today as my favorite tennis player just lost. Why did she have to play in the Fed Cup!

Go Yanina, Sharapova,Lisicki

monmonito
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Wickmayer will going down..this is the start

Karolina_Sprem
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
When I posted thread about martic year and a half ago loads of you guys posted some really STUPID comments...such as "who the f... is Martic"...etc etc...

As I said... Goran Ivanisevic few times talked about Martic and her BIG talent... and said about her that she is going to be a VERY good player...He described her game and tennis style as a combination of Hingis & Williams style...smart, powerful game wth a great serve...
Goran is always right...he know how to recognize talents (op. Ancic, Cilic, Martic)...also he said that Tomljanovic will be a top 10 player as well :)
Petra Martic from Duce :) :)

Noctis
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Congrats Petra!! She looked very young like 15/16 not 19.
Yania's attitude sucks.Giving eye stares at umpire from time to time

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Petra :yeah:

hellas719
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
It seems like the Wicky haters are back in full force :haha:
But when she wins, they disappear :spit:
Still, 13-2 this year, won Auckland, won 6 AO matches, and got her first Top 10 win :yeah:

Patrick345
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Congrats Petra!! She looked very young like 15/16 not 19.
Yania's attitude sucks.Giving eye stares at umpire from time to time

Itīs part of winning to work the umpire. Wozniacki and Pennetta seduce, while Serena and Wickmayer threaten. :devil:

Foals.
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
What a great match Martic played, very impressed! :worship: Hard to believe she hadnt yet won a match this year?!
Stayed calm and composed throughout, great defensive retrieval with the slice and keeping the ball low making it difficult for Wickmayer to put balls away. Good serving display at the right moments too.
Wickwayer's attitude is way too over zealous at times, really horrible to watch. :tape:

Harju.
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Can't decide who is more annoying. Wickmayer or her trollish fans? :lol:

Congrats Petra. Finally showing her potential.

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Too many three-setters..gonna catch up with you after sometime.

hellas719
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Can't decide who is more annoying. Wickmayer or her trollish fans? :lol:

Congrats Petra. Finally showing her potential.

Her trollish haters ;)

améliemomo
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Never saw martic playing and was enjoying her game.Great backhand slice and skills
happy for her.The tour needs players with such talent

Andreas
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Petra :inlove: Amazing match. So proud of you! :D

The handshake was so disrespectful towards Petra, who got her biggest win ever! Yanina wasn't cheated once during the match and she still didn't shake the umpire's hand :tape:

SVK
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Yanina didnīt shake the umpireīs hand?:unsure:

I didnīt see the problem in the whole match, shame that I switched off after MP...i should watch the handshake

DragonFlame
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yanina wasn't cheated once during the match and she still didn't shake the umpire's hand :tape:

that overrule made at 4-4*(if i remember correctly, or 3-3) ad martic in martic servicegame looked fishy to me... They showed a replay and that backhand looked long to me. That was a very crucial point.

Wish they had shotspot for that one.

hankqq
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
hmm this is a great result for Martic :yeah: hopefully I can catch some highlights somewhere, as I've yet to see her play. Thanks to those in this thread who pointed out her bh slices were key in her win today :)

has Wickmayer played every week so far this year? If so then this loss will probably give her a much needed break :lol:

tennismaster8820
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
that overrule made at 4-4*(if i remember correctly, or 3-3) ad martic in martic servicegame looked fishy to me... They showed a replay and that backhand looked long to me. That was a very crucial point.

Yeah but that type of angle on reply always makes the ball look long! :shrug:

SVK
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I saw many overrules and controversal points in Paris this year, many even in one match but Yanina is the first who didnīt shake the refreeīs hand... just because one point:unsure:

Golovinjured.
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
She has played every week. :rolls:

Auckland
AO quallies
AO week 1
AO week 2
Fed Cup
Paris

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM

How so? It was not a BP, it was not even a deuce. Moreover, Wickmayer went on to win her next service game so that point had absolutely no impact on the match outcome.

croat123
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Auckland
AO quallies
AO week 1
AO week 2
Fed Cup
Paris
:o the new wozniacki :o

hellas719
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Auckland
AO quallies
AO week 1
AO week 2
Fed Cup
Paris

Seriously, STFU :o
It's normal for someone to play an AO warm-up (Auckland), and then she had to play AO qualies, then got to the main draw and got to the second week :shrug:
She is very patriotic so she played Fed Cup, and then Paris, a premier event, then she's playing Dubai next week, and then she's turning it down a notch ;)
After Dubai, theres IW, Miami, Fed Cup II, Rome or Estoril (she hasn't decided if she wants to play the bigger tourney in Rome, or defend her title in Estoril), Madrid, RG, Eastbourne, Wimbledon, San Diego, Cincinatti, Montreal, US Open, Tokyo, Beijing, and Luxembourg. You act like she is going to play all MM events :rolleyes:

hellas719
Feb 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
:o the new wozniacki :o

She only played one MM event this whole year, and will only play 2 or 3 according to her official website, so how can you say that? :o
Wozniacki played 3 MM events from Wimbledon until Doha last year, one less than Nina will play this whole year, unless she decides to defend Estoril :shrug:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
With this loss Wickmayer is now 15-17 at non-Mickey Mouse tournaments. What's next for her -- Dubai or IW?

Lulu.
Feb 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Didn't see that coming. :eek:

dulkogii
Feb 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I cant belive Yanina, but well congrats Petra!

^bibi^
Feb 10th, 2010, 05:54 PM
This thread will now be closed and reopened after a good clean up.

^bibi^
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The thread will now be reopened.

Please be aware that any :
*Insult toward a player
*Derailing or the thread
*Quoting of posts that either insults or derail

Will automatically to either an infraction or a suspension.

If you have any question, feel free to PM me
If you find a post is over the line, please report it, don't quote it

Havok
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
She isn't a world beater, an upset was bound to happen.

What intrigues me is that this match featured only 3 breaks of serve! Sometimes easy straight set wins have at least double the amount of service breaks.:o Nicely done ladies.

cn ireland
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Surprising loss for Yanina!!

allrounder
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
This was a great match to watch with a lot of good points and I was very impressed with Martic today :worship: Like many others in here this was the first time i've seen her play. It's good to see a young player with a bit of variety that can change the pace a lot and that has a half decent serve too.

simonsaystennis
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I hope highlights of this match get on youtube! I'd love to see it.

Nice job Petra!

suzie
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I thought this match was great to watch. It's been a while since a match catch my eye like this one. Petra's game is so refreshing! Love her backhand slice.

Morisicki
Feb 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Why wouldn't Yanina shake the empires hand? That seems like a terribly rude, unsporting thing to do.

is1531
Feb 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yanina she didn't have her legs after playing the Fed Cup. What did she expect? If you play too many tournamnets your legs will not be strong. I don't understand, where is the guidance? I am just so disappointed she lost in round 1.

GrandMartha
Feb 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
:inlove:

fouc
Feb 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Why wouldn't Yanina shake the empires hand? That seems like a terribly rude, unsporting thing to do.

So this kinda seems like Yanina Wickmayer :shrug: Watching her hitting the ball with so much anger after each and every irrelevant point she lost I could visualize why she was defaulted once.

rickxx
Feb 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Petra:hearts:Sensational win for her!

Slutati
Feb 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Absolutely wonderful result! Like I said :spit: at those who thought Yanina had a chance to win the title. :haha:

Petra, thanks girl!

crazillo
Feb 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Wickmayer's attitude is disgusting...

iPatty
Feb 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Wickmayer's great record in Premier events continues.

Really impressed by Martic. I hadn't really sat down and watched a match of hers before this one. Will be interesting to see if she can follow this up.

Viktymise
Feb 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Good points on Martic:

-She has excellent court sense and shot selection.

-She deals with deep balls which land right on or right beside the baseline really well, always in this match managing to send them back relatively deep and neutral.

-Her serve is reliable, well placed and on quicker surfaces like this can get her a few cheap points when necessary.

-Her movement is surprisingly good for someone of her size and build. I thought she'd be a complete slow poke in the same vein as Hantuchova but she scrabbles well and reads well; Knows how to play good defense.

-Has a decent mid-court game. Her defensive slice is also tricky to deal with.

Negative point:

-I feel as though she has no outright kill shot. A fast surface as this would mask that to some extent as she gets to use her oppenents pace but she has to work the point to find openings and create winners.

Dunlop1
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like this was a pretty high quality match. Did any one record the match? I am very interested in seeing Martic play.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Three sets against Sema , Dulgheru , Errani and Martic

I donīt know what to think about the next best thing :shrug:

iPatty
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Good points on Martic:

-She has excellent court sense and shot selection.

-She deals with deep balls which land right on or right beside the baseline really well, always in this match managing to send them back relatively deep and neutral.

-Her serve is reliable, well placed and on quicker surfaces like this can get her a few cheap points when necessary.

-Her movement is surprisingly good for someone of her size and build. I thought she'd be a complete slow poke in the same vein as Hantuchova but she scrabbles well and reads well; Knows how to play good defense.

-Has a decent mid-court game. Her defensive slice is also tricky to deal with.

Negative point:

-I feel as though she has no outright kill shot. A fast surface as this would mask that to some extent as she gets to use her oppenents pace but she has to work the point to find openings and create winners.

Her forehand also appeared shaky to me, especially near the end when she was physically tired.

Viktymise
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Her forehand also appeared shaky to me, especially near the end when she was physically tired.

She shanked quite a few FHs throughout te match indeed. She seemed to be too early on it on many occasions and was forced just to guide it deep. I think it's down to her technique though. I found her to be a bit stiff off both sides. She mistimed a couple of BHs early on too.

miss_molik
Feb 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
woh, did not see this one coming

hellas719
Feb 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Three sets against Sema , Dulgheru , Errani and Martic

I donīt know what to think about the next best thing :shrug:

Well, this just comes to show that she is a huge fighter, which is why she will be in the top 10 someday :)
Even when she is no where near her best, she fights as hard as she can :worship:

PhilePhile
Feb 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Her[Martic's] forehand also appeared shaky to me, especially near the end when she was physically tired.

It happens when playing against a Wickmayer class firecracker. :lol:

Henin on Wickmayer ( AO 2010, Sunday 24 January 2010 (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-24/201001241264334191609.html)):

Q. Your thoughts on Yanina?

JUSTINE HENIN: I was impressed the way she went for everything. You know, she didn't give me a lot. She has been very solid, very consistent, real fighter on the court.

She put a lot of intensity in the ball. I had to play a good game to win. So I was ready to fight. But I was impressed the way she played, yeah.

Pasta-Na
Feb 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
no luck in this 3 set match, wicked. :p

Golovinjured.
Feb 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM
^^ Well, she hasn't really overplayed IMO, but Paris was probably too much especially given her results.

She had to play a lead up to AO, which she won.

She had to play AO, which meant quallies and going relatively deep.

She played Fed Cup.

Thkmra
Feb 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah I said that last year, when I saw her play in Portoroz, and then she sucked for the rest of the year. You canīt trust these young girls with anything. Every time you think they have made a breakthrough, they put in performances of epic failure. Whether itīs Lisicki, Cirstea, Oudin or somebody else. The progress of these girls doesnīt follow any rhyme or rhythm. One week they outplay Caroline Wozniacki and a little later they lose to Alberta Brianti. One week they beat and battle numerous top ten players at a Grand Slam, a months later they win four games against Jill Craybas.
:lol::tape:...Im'so mad I missed this match!!:fiery: From what I hear it was real dozy!!:sad: Anybody care to upload...please:angel:

A Magicman
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Martic has beaten Greta Arn, so this victory doesn't come too surprising.

Beny
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
She is a future No.1 anyway! I just hope she doesnt want to keep pulling a Jankovic and play every single wta tournament :tape:

Go Yanina!

Martic is a cool player as well. Like her game

Sexysova
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
great play by Petra, I thought she can play only on clay but since I saw her in Prague, she worked really hard and improved a lot, hopefully this is her breakthrough season :D

andrewC
Feb 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I like Martic :banana: :D calm, graceful, powerful, good defense...
Yanina is horrid. I don't know how she's managed to climb up the rankings so quickly, she's come from nowhere. is she still facing a ban? The way she growls/yelps after winning a point, the whole in-your-face-i'm-trying-very-hard-to-pump-myself-up demeanour, the sore loser-ness is :help: Being young is no excuse, anyway she's hardly that young anymore anyway. oh well. she may change my opinion.