PDA

View Full Version : Paris 1R: Melanie Oudin crushes Sorana Cirstea 6:3 6:0

Marilyn Monheaux
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well done Melanie!:D
:eek: Break down and then 10 games in a row to finish the match with an ace!:worship: (How very JJ of her...)
Fed Cup must have been doing wonders for her confidence!:bigclap:

Sorana:hug: Haven't seen her play this bad in a long time...:awww:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
omg Sori :help: that was shocking :help: :bigcry:

darkangel23
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Mel :D

Sori :hug:

Slutiana
Good match from Melanie but fucking ridiculous from Sorana, she needs to get the hell out of that stupid academy. That coach guy came on the court and she started hitting the ball even harder.

She's so talented but she's so much better when she's moving the ball around and then going for the shots. It really makes you think about how overpaid some of these coaches are. It seemed like she had borrowed Ana's tactic of running forward on any shot. :lol: Just WTF.

Nikkiri
Sorana was beyond bad :o god that was awful to watch.

Valanga
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Sorana is horrible :help:

Nicolas
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Oudin :banana:

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
thank god there was barely any fans in there watching as that was ugly.

sorana hit the ball long, wide and even longer.

oudin played ok, but heck she really didn't need to do more.

Lighter
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Mel is really solid : 5 aces and amazing forehands

The Untouchable
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Melanie has improved a lot over the off-season, especially BH and serve, they're very solid now, and have a potential to be even weapons.Let's see how consistently she can play, should be a good year with this level.Well done.:D:worship:

Sorana is as brainless as you get.:o:o

Slutiana
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
It's the ballbashing academy she's at! The coach came on court and she started hitting the ball even HARDER! :hysteric:

She's so much better when she moves the ball around and then goes for herself. :rolleyes: I'm pissed.

Gregorio87
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Melanie:hearts:, she played so good:hearts:

But Sorana was so bad, whan she couldn't return those 3 second serve:tape: And the umpire pronounced her name weird...

daniela86
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Sorana was beyond bad :o god that was awful to watch.

Indeed :sad: :sad:

MBM
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
wow that was easier than i would ever have thought

gociku
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
:mad:

play2win_win4fun
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Pathetic from Cirstea. Is she still pretending to reach top 20 ? :tape:

Daniel K
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah Mouratoglou is terrible. Has any player improved there :confused:

Langers
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Cirstea was soooooo, so, so bad. Unbelievably so. Well, I can believe it, but still.

fandy
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sorana,buy a brain:(

Langers
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Good match from Melanie but fucking ridiculous from Sorana, she needs to get the hell out of that stupid academy. That coach guy came on the court and she started hitting the ball even harder.

She's so talented but she's so much better when she's moving the ball around and then going for the shots. It really makes you think about how overpaid some of these coaches are. It seemed like she had borrowed Ana's tactic of running forward on any shot. :lol: Just WTF.
I remember that, so bad! :lol:

the_tk
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
The problem with Sori is very deep
It makes no sense how she's playing
she has no confidence
nothing!!

LoveMeansZero
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Wow! Way to go Mel!

Nikkiri
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
It's the ballbashing academy she's at! The coach came on court and she started hitting the ball even HARDER! :hysteric:

She's so much better when she moves the ball around and then goes for herself. :rolleyes: I'm pissed.

That first ball she hit after that :hysteric:

young_gunner913
Mels :hearts:

Slamniacki
Melanie :worship:

The Witch-king
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Futre number 1 and 2 u heard it here first

Langers
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
That first ball she hit after that :hysteric:
The next 2 as well. :tape: Whole game of UE's.

youizahoe
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Pudding squishes banana :inlove:

Slutiana
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah Mouratoglou is terrible. Has any player improved there :confused:
Wickmayer is pretty much the only one. :lol: After having good ends to 09 Rezai and Jelena have joined and failed so far. And just look at Dimitrov wasting his talent on the ATP. :sad:

The aim of that academy seems to just hit the ball as hard as possible. It may work for some but no matter how easily Sorana creates power, she just simply can't hit every ball hard consistently, and there's nothing wrong with that as she is good at putting topspin onto the ball and waiting for a shorter ball. When I saw Sorana at Wimbledon against a Mirza who was playing pretty well I was so impressed with her and the way she seemed to have matured and dealt with the problem. She was so much more patient, but she seems to have taken 10 steps back since them. Probably much more.

Renalicious
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Oh my :tape:

Martian Jeza
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM
So far quitting the Adidas team to go to a losing team like the Mouratoglou ! Seems that Mourathingy is an Epic Fail coach !

-NAJ-
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
this is going to be year of bagels on WTA

Sexysova
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
great match from Mel :D

on the other hand, Sorana, that was pathetic :help:

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Wickmayer is pretty much the only one. :lol: After having good ends to 09 Rezai and Jelena have joined and failed so far. And just look at Dimitrov wasting his talent on the ATP. :sad:

The aim of that academy seems to just hit the ball as hard as possible. It may work for some but no matter how easily Sorana creates power, she just simply can't hit every ball hard consistently, and there's nothing wrong with that as she is good at putting topspin onto the ball and waiting for a shorter ball. When I saw Sorana at Wimbledon against a Mirza who was playing pretty well I was so impressed with her and the way she seemed to have matured and dealt with the problem. She was so much more patient, but she seems to have taken 10 steps back since them. Probably much more.

after seeing sorana today i couldn't believe it was the same player i saw on the clay last year. i haven't seen her since so i don't know if it is a recent thing, but what happened to the topspin she used on the clay. she obviously has power, so the topspin was a great compliment to her game. also her movement seemed much slower, maybe she moves better on clay.

after seeing that im convinced shes doing no speed drills, or anything other than hitting balls fed out of someones hand as hard as possible. as she seemed total unable to adapt to any sort of ball that wasn't exactly in her hit zone, and even then she would hit them long, cus she was hitting so hard and flat.

Slutiana
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
after seeing sorana today i couldn't believe it was the same player i saw on the clay last year. i haven't seen her since so i don't know if it is a recent thing, but what happened to the topspin she used on the clay. she obviously has power, so the topspin was a great compliment to her game. also her movement seemed much slower, maybe she moves better on clay.

after seeing that im convinced shes doing no speed drills, or anything other than hitting balls fed out of someones hand as hard as possible. as she seemed total unable to adapt to any sort of ball that wasn't exactly in her hit zone, and even then she would hit them long, cus she was hitting so hard and flat.
Yep. She was SO patient. Before she was all about keeping it deep with topspin and then killing anything that was short. I remember in the JJ match she was having so many 25 stroke rallies, I don't rememer seeing a rally over about 6 shots today. Maybe people are just planting the thought into her head that consistent tennis is only for clay when that really isn't the case.

And yeah, her movement was bad also, but she injured herself pretty badly at the end of last year and then made it even worse by playing like 3 tournaments when it was like a stress fracture or something (:help:). So that might have something to do with it. She seemed kind of awkward on her feet and maybe had a small limp today when she was walking around. But I don't know, you're right. Also at the French when she was pushed out wide she would try to get the ball deep and start the rally again but today she was just trying to hit the ball even harder when pushed out wide to awkward positions which made her seem like she couldn't get any balls back at all. Just a really confusing match.

A-Bond
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM
That was terrible, Sorana, really terrible. Her game really does not have a direction. Sometimes she makes a good shot, but between those shots she hits 12 UE's.

I always thought she's in the same boat as Lisicki, Rezai, Kleybanova and Pavlyuchenkova. Terribly inconsistent, but if they have a good day (or a good Tournament) they show some very good tennis. But Sorana looks totally clueless on court.

That said, Melanie played good, it's the first time I've seen her play since US Open and I think she really improved. Her backhand has improved a lot and the FH is good as always. Good luck Mel in next Round :)

Yarden
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Great Job Mel :hug: :yeah:

Andiyan
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Sorana is in such a bad phase.... I still had confidence before this match but now.. :sad:

I guess it will take a while before she gains her momentum again.. perhaps the clay season?

Kevin.
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Didnt Larcher de Brito quit Bolliterris and go to this academy as well :tape:

Melanie :)

FORZA SARITA
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM

guess camila where trains?:hysteric:

Talita Kumi
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM
:(

burn
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Next up for Oudin is Patty Schnyder now... as much as I like Mel, I hope Patty will win this!

Slutiana
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
guess camila where trains?:hysteric:
OMG. OH NO. :spit::hysteric::help::sobbing:

iPatty
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mel :yeah: Put the ball between the lines and got an easy win - good day at the office.

FORZA SARITA
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
OMG. OH NO. :spit::hysteric::help::sobbing:

you didn't know it?:lol:

Beat
Feb 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
future future no. 1 def. future no. 1?

Harju.
Feb 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Mel :yeah:
Glad she finally stepped it up. The Fed Cup matches must really boast her confidence.

Sorana :o
When I watched her matches @ RG, she reminded me of Tati. It's ok, Tutu, Tati went through ball-bashing phase for a period of time as well.

Inger67
Feb 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Good win Mel! Has a good chance to make the QF :)

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
future future no. 1 def. future no. 1?

i think you're in the wrong thread :tape:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Awesome scoreline from Mel! :yeah:

Sorana :hug:

PLP
Feb 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Mel is really solid : 5 aces and amazing forehands

Great to hear!
So happy for you Melanie, keep up the improved form please!

Patty vs Melanie should be a fun match, I wonder if there will be any coverage?

Illusionist
Feb 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Sori what the hell? :help:

matty
Feb 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Mel :bigclap:

Slutati
Feb 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
LMAO. Sorana is so useless.

simonsaystennis
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
:woohoo: AWESOME! Fed Cup was a great thing for Melanie. I think we'll see her results begin to improve now.

Yeah I've heard nothing but bad things about it (for girls at least) I think it has produced some pretty good ATP players though.

I'm worried for the careers of young girls who train there like Larcher de Brito, Putintseva, Gavrilova, and Vickery.

hurricanejeanne
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Sorana :sobbing:

I've also heard nothing but horrible things about this academy she's at. The only thing this academy seems to be good at is taking good, talented players and fucking them up royally.

simonsaystennis
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Sorana :sobbing:

I've also heard nothing but horrible things about this academy she's at. The only thing this academy seems to be good at is taking good, talented players and fucking them up royally.

Yeah, Sachia Vickery joined the academy late last year and her results have sucked lately.

Some poster reported that they heard one of the Mouratoglou coaches say before one of MLDB's matches something like "She'll win this one. Power always beats finesse." Or something to that effect. That's like the worst philosophy to teach a young player...

hurricanejeanne
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, Sachia Vickery joined the academy late last year and her results have sucked lately.

Some poster reported that they heard one of the Mouratoglou coaches say before one of MLDB's matches something like "She'll win this one. Power always beats finesse." Or something to that effect. That's like the worst philosophy to teach a young player...

It's a terrible philosophy and obviously these coaches missed the fine print. A player can have all the power in the world that doesn't mean the ball is going to land in the court. If it was only one or two players from this academy that were struggling it'd be one thing but the majority of them are struggling should be a pretty big red flag.

TheAllan
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I doubt the academy could screw up her tennis that much in such a short time. Maybe she wanted to try something different after a bad finish to 2009.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
That RG quarterfinal just came out of nowhere. Take it out and Cirstea will be something like 5-30 in tour events :lol:

rickxx
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Sorana:help: Lead 3-2 in the first...:mad:

KamilZ
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Sorana lost 10 games in a row :help: Horrible to watch, how she played today...and last time...

Wintermute
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
:yeah: Go Mel!

But this sounds like Sorana's coach is telling her all the wrong things. Sometimes in these situations you think it would be better without the on-court coaching. Might actually force the player to think for herself instead of blindly following some duff information.

Arnian
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Good job Oudin :cheer:

hankqq
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Melanie :yeah: :) looks like winning those Fed Cup matches has restored her confidence.

but Sorana :tape: :help: such a 1-sided score :o i'm glad i didn't see this match :lol:

Willam
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Oudin :)

tonybotz
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
oudini strikes again!

hdfb
Feb 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
:woohoo: Finally Melanie!!!

But then again, both these players were in slumps. :p

ivanban
Feb 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
:unsure:

Slutiana
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
:woohoo: AWESOME! Fed Cup was a great thing for Melanie. I think we'll see her results begin to improve now.

Yeah I've heard nothing but bad things about it (for girls at least) I think it has produced some pretty good ATP players though.

I'm worried for the careers of young girls who train there like Larcher de Brito, Putintseva, Gavrilova, and Vickery.
Daria. :sobbing::bigcry: If they beat all the variety out of Daria, I will actually cry. :help: They've also fucked up Grigor Dimitrov so far.
I doubt the academy could screw up her tennis that much in such a short time. Maybe she wanted to try something different after a bad finish to 2009.
She was injured at the end of 2009. The silly girl was playing on an injury (stress fracture or something) and ended up on crutches. Maybe it is just lack of matches but I don't know, it's the worst i've ever seen her play. :help: Honestly, she was going for EVERYTHING and missing and then the coach came out and then she was hitting it even harder and and missing by about 6ft on each shot. :hysteric:

iGOAT
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
OMG Sorana :rolls::help:.

But seriously big congrats to Melanie, I thought she'd win, but this was very impressive. Sorana's game was good for her too.

Hopefully she can beat Schnyder :).

Temperenka
Feb 10th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Sorana :( :sobbing: What is going on!?

Mel :banana: Go deep here!!! :)

BlameSerena
Feb 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
:eek:

:yeah: mel

Roookie
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Mel O :woohoo:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I agree that FED CUP has done wonders for her confidence on the court.
She's been in France for at least a week now, she has adjusted to the indoor conditions (even though she played on clay) well, and her shot selection has gotten better.

Huntress55
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Sori :o:sad:

égalité
Feb 10th, 2010, 04:13 AM
finally playing well again? :hearts:

Corswandt
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cirstea tanked all of the 2nd set save for a single service game which she actually tried to win, presumably to avoid the bagel.

I don't think any rally went beyond 4-5 shots. Even before she began to tank, Cirstea was having trouble keeping up with Oudin and handling her flat shots since her footwork was so sluggish; when she tried to go for her shots, she always missed, and when she just looped the ball up to keep the rally going, Oudin stepped inside the court and took over the point.

Oudin is underpowered, sure, but in ultrafast courts such as this one she can be a tricky player, since she can handle pace and send it back with interest, as the speed of the court gives some additional bite to her own shots. She's one of the few Generation Suck players who seems to be able to take the ball early and hit flat to good effect in faster surfaces (just about all Europushers always play the same claycourt game regardless of the surface). She hit a few decent drive BHs for her standards, and her CC FH almost qualifies as a weapon. Almost.

IIRC, the court at Coubertin was pink/purple in 2006-2008, and last year it was an aggressive fluorescent green that made it very difficult to see the ball on TV. But it seems that now they have repainted the court in a darker shade of greenish blue (leaving the fluorescent green to the margins of the court), and things are much better.