PDA

View Full Version : Big Fed Cup semifinal: USA-Russia, who is going to win

ys
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Again, totally mistimed tie. In USA, meaning - almost certainly on hardcourts - in the middle of clay season. Because of that both teams might have a problem recruiting their best.

miffedmax
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
If the Russians can get anybody to show up, they'll win against any likely US competitors.

Unless, of course Big Al does her dime-store Demented impersonation again.

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
depends on who plays :shrug:

ys
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Kleybanova and Pavlyuchenkova will play. That I am pretty sure about. Tarpischev said that nearly every player indicated that they are available for FC starting with second round. But many of them are likely backpedal when they learn where and when. Unless, of course, US puts it on green clay. That could be a good middle ground and acceptable for everyone.

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Kuznetsova probably will not play after her major sacrifice to play in Serbia

Safina is injured so probably does not any more match

tie is in the USA ... perfect time for Sharapova to play :hearts:

otherwise Tarpischev should try to get Dementieva, Petrova or Zvonareva

Broseghini
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Imagine S.Williams and V.Williams against Dementieva, Sharapova, Zvonareva :hearts:

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:30 PM
It's right after green clay, so the players who stay in the US after Miami should play.
I would expect Vera to play. Sveta has Stuttgart to defend, but will probably want to play.
I hope Dementieva wants to play.

Sylvester
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Considering the Williams Sisters won't play, even a team with Kleybanova, Dushevina, Pavlyuchenkova and Vesnina would be enough to win.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Again, totally mistimed tie. In USA, meaning - almost certainly on hardcourts - in the middle of clay season. Because of that both teams might have a problem recruiting their best.

Well the problem is it can't be in many places in the US because of the timing.
It's possible that it could be on a fast indoor surface in Winston-Salem which is where a few Davis Cup ties have been.

If Mary Joe Fernandez can get a definite from Venus, she might try to do what the Davis Cup did with Chile in 2006 and play on grass.

It's more likely they'll try the fast indoors surface at Winston-Salem so there won't be too much traveling for the Americans.

iGOAT
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Probably Vera will play, as she needs to play to be eligible for Olympics. Maybe Sharapova too since it's in US. But I think at least one Williams may play also.

Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Petrova, and Vesnina (all regulars) have already played enough, so I think the team will be something like Zvonareva, Kleybanova, Pavlyuchenkova, and Makarova/Dushveina. Maybe Chakvetadze or Sharapova instead and a slight chance of Kuzzie I guess.... Safina won't play I imagine since she's hurt.

Anyways, if Dementieva plays, I bet Russia wins regardless. If she doesn't and one or both Williams play, I think USA. If neither Williams plays, I think Russia regardless. I guess I have to predict Russia atm.

AcesHigh
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Venus and Serena are not playing. Neither is Sharapova. Why would any of them bother?

Edinboro
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Doesn't Dementieva live for Fed Cup? I'm sure she'll play in the semis. Kleybanova will probably be in there too.

Btw, what about Kirilenko? Has she ever played for Russia? Her and Vesnina might make for a good doubles tie.

Williams 123
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
What has the usta ever done for the Williams other than allow Venus to get outcheered at the us open against muresmo. So I say screw the us team and the racism the American fans showed that day against v. I hope. The USA loses

miffedmax
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Lena's ardor for Fed Cup seems to have cooled in recent years. I don't know how much of that has been team logistics and how much of that has been her apparent focus on other goals--I think she definitely has put her singles career and chasing a slam higher on her list right now, especially since she all but won the damn thing for Russia in '05.

She was the go-to girl from 2000-2006 and you can't really blame her if she wants to focus on something else at this point.

trufanjay
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Depends on if the Williams sisters play or not

Sund7101
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
For some reason I think Venus might play and if she does I think the U.S. will win.

Just Do It
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hopefully US team coach wont allow W sister to play. They just don't deserve it.

shoparound
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
If Melanie plays, the top Russian players better watch out!

Sergius
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
If Melanie plays, the top Russian players better watch out!

I hope that was a joke:rolleyes:

Btw, what about Kirilenko? Has she ever played for Russia? Her and Vesnina might make for a good doubles tie.
Yes, she played, I think, in 2006 and lost her singles match against Clijsters but she and Dinara have won theit doubles against Kim and Justin

cmasters
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Would they be allowed to use Davenport without a ranking? She could probably still win on a fast indoor court.

sammy01
Feb 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
the whole fed cup needs to be looked at, i truely think it now needs to be a 2 week event in the last 2 weeks of the year (shorten the calendar a week, removing one of the fed cup weeks).

make it qtr finals, in the 1st week and semis and final the 2nd week. a country bids for the right to hold it each year. that way it is all one surface, it is given importance like a sort of nations slam.

it could be something very special if done like that. but how it is now it is basically an after thought for most players.

PLP
Feb 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Would they be allowed to use Davenport without a ranking? She could probably still win on a fast indoor court.

:lol:

I have to admit that also crossed my mind. Well, the teams aren't set in stone yet and I think that Venus or Serena might also play, especially since it is in the USA...plus Mel, Beth and the team really came through against France, I think Mary Joe is a great coach and could pull this together even though in theory the Russian squad will almost certainly be stronger...USA for the upset.

Uranium
Feb 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Russian Killer Mel and the super duo of Huber/Beth will lead USA to victory:angel:

darrinbaker00
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
If you're an American citizen, female and at least 14 years old, you're eligible for Fed Cup.

Dave.
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Oh don't tease me like that. :sobbing:

Anyway, Beth/Liezel to win it all. :rocker2: