PDA

View Full Version : Amanda retirement Speculation!!!!

Robbie.
Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:03 AM
OMG! After yesterdays great win, I have well and truly been brought back down to earth by the last sentence of this article

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=6709&bannerregion=

Please say it isn't true ! :sad:

I do wonder about the reliability of this news however as this is totally unexpected and mentioned as a sort of after thought at the end of this article. She hasn't really talked about it (other than the usual questions asked of the players her age) and their is no quote from her. Plus she has received the gold exempt which i thought required some sort of commitment from the player :confused:

It could well be another journalist taking liberties with the pen, as per usual

This is just awful :sad:

Coetzer Fan
Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Oh no what a shock :eek: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Zamboni
Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
I have thought about this all season...until a couple of weeks ago when she received the Gold Exempt status, I thought that would make it for sure she'd play next year. But maybe not. Maybe it will just be given to another player when she retires.

Please let it not be true :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Robbie.
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
i was thinking along the same lines linda. but i refuse to believe this ;)
Am I in denial???

zegr
Oct 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Hi all. I don't usualy post over here, but I thought I'd drop in and tell you guys what a nice site you have and what a great job you are doing.:wavey:

I came on here after Amanda's win over Petrova and saw the link to the "Tennis
Week" article and had the same reaction that you did ,tennisadict. This is the first thing I've ever read or heard stating that Amanda would retire at the end of THIS year. The last time I remember Amanda addressing the subject at all was an online chat from Roland Garros just a few months ago. When asked, Amanda said she would keep playing as long she was "competitive", and she certainly has been that lately!

Obviuosly Amanda may have changed her mind since then, but here are some things that run counter to this article:

1) The Gold Exempt status Amanda has received for 2003, which you guys have mentioned.

2) Amanda is playing a pretty ambitious fall schedule for someone who's retiring.

3) This seems to be the only article out there that flatly states Amanda's impending retirement, and nothing seems to have come directly from Amanda herself.

Anyway, thats my take on it. Keep hoping for the best. GO AMANDA IN THE SEMIS!!

Coetzer Fan
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Zegr :wavey:

I hope you are right !!!!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Has anyone attempted to contact the author of the article to verify his/her comments?

Zamboni
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:04 PM
zegr, please post more here, cos that was one heck of a first post! :)

xcrtbckhnd, no, but Eurosport has stated she won't retire, and she hasn't said anything about it, so I suppose it's crap!

zegr
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks adnil, we aim to please.:)
Also great hearing about the Eurosport report!
:bounce:

xcrtbckhnd (sp?) actually a friend of mine from Amanda's Yahoo Fan Group has e-mailed the author of the "Tennis Week" article and is waiting for a reply. I'll pass it along if I hear anything. GO AMANDA IN FILDERSTADT!

Robbie.
Oct 6th, 2002, 04:44 AM
hey zegr :wavey: I used to post on the AC Fangroup on Yahoo intermittently, i haven't been there for ages now :o I remember your name though ;) Good to see you have migrated here ;)

Thanks for the good news Linda, lets hope Eurosport are right (its not like commentators are always right :rolleyes: )

Zamboni
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Zegr, I'm waiting for your friends report! :)

actually Eurosportcommentators are not often right :o

zegr
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Hi all.

After about four days no reply yet from "Tennis Week". I will certainly let you know if and when we get one.

For what its worth, the Amanda vs Davenport match was shown in the US on tape delay on ESPN2. The commentators made NO mention of Amanda's possible retirement.

GO AMANDA!!:)

Zamboni
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Thanx zegr. I will keep waiting.

DutchieGirl
Oct 9th, 2002, 04:41 AM
I don't think Amanda will retire next year!

Hi zegr... who I think is John, but I'm probably wrong... but I know ya post on the ACFG! :D

Robbie.
Oct 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Lets hope so Sarah :)

zegr
Oct 11th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Yes, inkyfan, its me John:)

Anyway, still nothing yet from "Tennis Week" and its been a full week. I have a feeling we may not hear from them. GO AMANDA!!

Zamboni
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Stupid tennisweek :fiery:

DutchieGirl
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by zegr
Yes, inkyfan, its me John:)

Anyway, still nothing yet from "Tennis Week" and its been a full week. I have a feeling we may not hear from them. GO AMANDA!!

lol but do you know who I am? ;)

Still no news on if the rumours is true? I still don't believe it!

zegr
Oct 25th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Well, tough result today. Still, Amanda has plenty to be proud of.

Still nothing from Tennis Week and its been three weeks.

Ok, the flag may be throwing me off. Is inkyfan, Sara? :)

Zamboni
Oct 25th, 2002, 03:10 PM
yeah, it is :)

Robbie.
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:08 AM
Hopefully the retirement plans are on the shelf for another year :p

Zamboni
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
I'm really starting to think so! :D