PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the 7-6 second round

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Just a theory. I'm an MMA fan. If Mixed Martial Arts, you have 'grinders'. Competitors who accept looking like they're losing early, in exchange for the opportunity to beat you down, wear you down, pull even in the middle, and kill you late.

In other words, lose the first set whatever, win the second set 7-6 (or 7-5), then take the third going away.

Who's the WTA equivalent of that? And NOT Serena, or Venus, or Justine Henin. They win cause they're better. Who wins cause they wear out ther opponent, and then beat them when their opponent is exhausted.

The Kaz
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Just a theory. I'm an MMA fan. If Mixed Martial Arts, you have 'grinders'. Competitors who accept looking like they're losing early, in exchange for the opportunity to beat you down, wear you down, pull even in the middle, and kill you late.

In other words, lose the first set whatever, win the second set 7-6 (or 7-5), then take the third going away.

Who's the WTA equivalent of that? And NOT Serena, or Venus, or Justine Henin. They win cause they're better. Who wins cause they wear out ther opponent, and then beat them when their opponent is exhausted.

:spit: Not on anything but Grass she isn't.

Svetlana)))
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I beg to differ. The first person that comes to mind with the ability to do that is Serena when playing badly. She loses the first, squeezes out the second and crushes you in the third. It's also a characteristic of her mid-Slam crisis.

Njay16
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:06 AM
:spit: Not on anything but Grass she isn't.

So she loses every other match off of grass? :rolleyes:

omoruyi
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
na li? safina 3 years ago? JJ?

kman
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
lol Volcana is an MMA fan, who would've thought.

I thought I was the only MMA fan who bothered watching women's tennis.

Experimentee
Feb 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think there is any player who likes to lose the 1st set and win the 2nd set 7-6 or 7-5. They do it out of necessity.