PDA

View Full Version : I live in 1919.

mckyle.
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Here is an opinion piece from someone who lives in my county:

Someone recently asked my opinion about the alcohol referendum on March 2 in [my city].

I said you mean the devil’s brew, the poison curse, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates sickness and poverty, yea, literally takes food from the mouths of little children. If you mean the drink that causes over 100,000 deaths in the U.S. and the leading cause of deaths in teenagers, if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacles of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, despair, shame, helplessness and hopelessness.

If you mean the brew that causes risky sexual behavior, creates poor grades and job performance, if you mean the liquid substance that Mayor Nail, Councilor Walls, Wilson, and Alexander believe will bring in an abundance of wealth. No way. If you mean the elixir that would bring a Red Lobster or Applebee’s to our city, hey, don’t be fooled. The city of Arab used this campaign to get alcohol. No Applebee’s or Red Lobster has located there. They have an open bar and lounge in the downtown area. Now you know my opinion concerning alcohol in [my city]. Let’s keep [my city] special on March 2.

Roger WhitleyAnd another:

This letter is to the citizens of [my city]. I want to ask each one of you to think carefully about the upcoming alcohol vote on March 2. Please consider how it will change [my city] in the future. We have a wonderful city that is a great place to raise a family. I’ve always considered [my city] to be a Christian town where the people are friendly and always willing to help their neighbors. I was born and raised in the area.

I love our little town and want to keep it special. I would like for it to stay a safe place to raise a family, a place where Christian values are upheld.

However this could all change on March 2. If we allow the alcohol vote to pass then we are inviting all kinds of evil things into our city. Our wonderful police are trying their best to rid our community of the drug dealers that seem to invade every community. Allowing alcohol sales in our city would only put more of a burden on them and our streets would not be as safe because drunk driving and other crimes would definitely increase.

So please vote “no” on March 2 and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same. Lets keep [my city] a safe, family town!

Lynn BrockmanThis one isn't related to this others, but still :o-worthy:

In regards to the letter about the drug and meth problem that our community faces, you have shot your arrow at the wrong target, which is a common error. The real target should be the Supreme Court, which has been making law from the bench, ignoring the wishes of the voters, and letting individuals not have to be responsible for managing their lives in a manner acceptable to society.

They have a billion and one excuses why they do drugs and meth, yet no one can say they haven’t heard the dangers of such behavior. So they do the drugs, get arrested, go to rehab to dodge prison, and most repeat this process. Some even get disability for “drug induced psychosis” and we pay them to do nothing for life.

I can assure you that Sheriff R and the Police Department are doing all they are legally allowed to do, and the jails are full. But law enforcement has its hands tied due to the liberal court system that gives the criminals all the rights, and gives the law enforcement agencies alll the liabilities.

The real problem is liberalism, which equals lack of personal responsibility, which is evident in our federal court system. I believe the book of Proverbs addresses this whole scenario.

Russell WoodThank god I'm only in 1919 for the weekends :lol: If my family didn't live here I would never come to this place again :lol:

delicatecutter
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Want your bad romance.

*JR*
Feb 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Though there's no referendum on tobacco anywhere that I know of; and were it ever banned, the resulting smuggling and violence would be horrendous, not to mention all the lost tax revenue ;) Anyhow, way prior to the rather brief US experiment with banning booze, King James I of England wrote about it centuries ahead of his time in 1604:

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjcounte.htm

Shame that he's so many times better known for his "version" of the bible (maybe done to show that the Church of England created by his grandfather Henry VIII wasn't some temporary fluke that had served its purpose in letting Henry divorce and remarry until he had a male heir) than James' prescient warning about the most pervasive "evil weed" in the world.