PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tips Help - 6 days for Munich or 4 days in Copenhagen?

Valanga
Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
I'm planning for my trip in Easter holiday, I want to go to Prague at first, but the ticket is pricey so I just choose other one - So I want to go to Munich, but if I can get the cheapest air ticket combination, I would be in Munich for 6 days. I wonder if 6 days for munich would be too much? Is there any other city around munich that is worth a visit, I am fine with it if it's a day trip:)

Then there comes another option of mine which would take only 4 days - Copenhagen, but I've no idea what to visit over there. I checked Wikitravel and the scenery looks awesome.

Thanks for your help :)

shap_half
Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
I've never been to either place, but they both sound excellent. I've always wanted to go to Copenhagen, but I've been to Germany twice and have had amazing experiences both times. Because of previous German fun, I've also become interested in checking out Munich.

I've heard so many negative things about Prague that my initial desire to visit has been quelled.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
I've never been to either place, but they both sound excellent. I've always wanted to go to Copenhagen, but I've been to Germany twice and have had amazing experiences both times. Because of previous German fun, I've also become interested in checking out Munich.

I've heard so many negative things about Prague that my initial desire to visit has been quelled.

Prague is amazing, along with Budapest and Barcelona I'd rate it as one of the three most beautiful cities in Europe.

Anyway given the choice between Munich or Copenhagen I'd go straight to Copenhagen. You can spend four days in Tivoli and still want more and that's just one of things to do in Copenhagen. But one warning about Copenhagen....it is seriously expensive.

Valanga
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Prague is amazing, along with Budapest and Barcelona I'd rate it as one of the three most beautiful cities in Europe.

Anyway given the choice between Munich or Copenhagen I'd go straight to Copenhagen. You can spend four days in Tivoli and still want more and that's just one of things to do in Copenhagen. But one warning about Copenhagen....it is seriously expensive.

I checked out Wikitravel and it tells me the same thing. :sobbing:
I need to confirm it this week because the air tickets would get more and more expensive

Kuilli
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Really? I absolutely loved Prague. Such a beautiful city. :hearts:

Copenhagen is indeed very expensive, so you do have to account for that.

When I went, Tivoli was closed, but yeah, you should definitely visit Tivoli. There are plenty of museums to visit if you are into that, but things close very early during the off-season. Rosenborg Castle was quite nice, so was New Carlsberg Glyptotek (free on Sunday, I believe). Statens Museum for Kunst was good also, and most of it was free. They do have free days/nights in some museums, so you can check that and visit when it's free if you are there at that time.

Stroget and Nyhavn are nice pedestrian areas to stroll around. Lots of shops and places to eat there. Round Tower (Rundetaarn) gives you nice views of the city, other than that there isn't much to it. Kastellet is worth going to. It's just nice to walk around there. It's an old fort with some well preserved buildings, some old cannons, some nice statues around it, including the Little Mermaid. You can always rent a bike and ride around the city. :) Also, you can take a quick train ride to Malmo and back if you run out of things to do in Copenhagen.

Valanga
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Really? I absolutely loved Prague. Such a beautiful city. :hearts:

Copenhagen is indeed very expensive, so you do have to account for that.

When I went, Tivoli was closed, but yeah, you should definitely visit Tivoli. There are plenty of museums to visit if you are into that, but things close very early during the off-season. Rosenborg Castle was quite nice, so was New Carlsberg Glyptotek (free on Sunday, I believe). Statens Museum for Kunst was good also, and most of it was free. They do have free days/nights in some museums, so you can check that and visit when it's free if you are there at that time.

Stroget and Nyhavn are nice pedestrian areas to stroll around. Lots of shops and places to eat there. Round Tower (Rundetaarn) gives you nice views of the city, other than that there isn't much to it. Kastellet is worth going to. It's just nice to walk around there. It's an old fort with some well preserved buildings, some old cannons, some nice statues around it, including the Little Mermaid. You can always rent a bike and ride around the city. :) Also, you can take a quick train ride to Malmo and back if you run out of things to do in Copenhagen.

I don't know there would be trains going to Sweden as well:p this might be a good idea. Thanks :)

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'd vote for Copenhagen, but it's cause I'm totally biased and am planning a trip around there soon too ;)

spiceboy
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:35 AM

Are you freaking serious??? :weirdo:

Half a day (esp. at night with all the lights on) will be enough, especially considering how freaking expensive is each attraction and the park itself is not THAT big as it right in the city centre. Copenhaguen is OK but for 2 days, 3 maximum visiting dowtown, Christiania and the harbour place. You can take the train and will be in 45 min. in Malmö, Sweden. But that's 1 day, 1 day and a half at most...That's exactly what I did last year for Easter when living in Budapest.

Actually, why don't check flights to Budapest from Malmö if you have the time? I flew with Wizzair and it was dirt cheap and only a couple of hours away. And as Shevdba said, Budapest (and Barcelona, my city :p) are two of the most beautiful cities in Europe :hearts: :worship:

Blu€
Feb 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
Well I was a week in Munich a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed it. Nice city centre, lots of things to visit, beer and sausages & they offer lots of trips around. I went to Neuschwanstein and the walk up is tiring (you can go by carriage too) but the scenery is just mind-blowing. I also went for a day to Salzburg (Austria) and it was very interesting, after all it's Mozart's hometown! Of course I went in summer and the weather was quite nice but Neuschwanstein snowed has to be :hearts::hearts::worship:
Good luck wherever you go!

ys
Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
I love Munich..

shap_half
Feb 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM

Really? I used to want to go to Prague and after two very good friends spoke so negatively of it, I've just lost the urge.

I've got to agree about Barcelona. It is seriously one of my most favorite places in Europe. I was going to try to go back last month, but it never happened. Budapest is definitely on my list, though. It's been on it for quite some time now.

If you're really looking for a cheap, amazingly great city to go to: BERLIN. Just AMAZING. I can't say enough great things about it.

Halardfan
Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
I went Munich at Christmas, enjoyed it very much. As has been mentioned, a good idea would be to make Munich your base but have 2 night in Salzburg in the middle of your holiday. There is a fast train between the two cities and it takes only about 1 and a half hours.

You'd have lots to do, so buy a good guidebook fir Munich...places I lived were...

Munich...

Residenz (Amazing inside)
Marienplatz (lots of great shops nearby, spectacular buildings, beautiful churches)
Pinakothek Galleries (three of them covering different periods of art, filled with work by famous names
Schloss nymphenberg (beautiful palace, at it's best inside)
Olympic Park (great city view from the tower, BMW Museum close by)

in Salzburg, make the beautiful old town your focus, the beautiful cathedral, then mozarts birthplace. Take the elevator up to the modern art gallery, with amazing city views. You must go to Hohensalzburg castle too, it's a great walk around, with breathtaking views of Salzburg and surrounding mountains.

propi
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Copenhagen is a great place, expensive but great life quality, but to be honest the city itself is nice but nothing that leaves you open mouthed. When I was living there visits usually had great time there so if you're a tourist you should love it if weather is nice. If you like modern architechture is worth a visit :)
For four days you could first rent a bike, go to Tivoli (but not 4 days at all!!!), take the boat through the channel, visit as Kuilli said, the Glyptotek, walk through Stroget/city center, Christiania, Castellet, Nyhavn, the castle in Hillerod, Malmoe and its turning torso, and, if you have time you can reach Klampenborg with a 30 minutes cycle and see the deers which stroll freely there and even Dragor in Amager island (where I used to live!!! :D).
And with great weather and a bit of patience you should reach Luisiana Museum (the building itself is great) and even Mons Klint! in another island at the south :)

Juanes
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Munich :hearts:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs185.snc1/6176_1205001168264_1325671660_846538_7352282_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs165.snc1/6176_1205001248266_1325671660_846540_2743457_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs207.snc1/7416_1238912696031_1325671660_955944_5452619_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs194.snc1/6536_1199447789433_1325671660_829766_6716085_n.jpg

something what i suggest to see... ;)