PDA

View Full Version : The "Vamos Arantxa" cheering thread

marsha
Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
*not* started by one of the "J"'s -- **ROFL**

JonBcn
Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised to see that Arantxa has entered, according to todays commitment update. Given her indoor record in recent years, i'd be happy for just one or two wins with a good draw.

But I think we can take her interest to signal a commitment to working with Daniela at their goal: the season ending championships. Hope so anyway.

marsha
Oct 4th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by JonBcn
But I think we can take her interest to signal a commitment to working with Daniela at their goal: the season ending championships. Hope so anyway.

OR... here's another theory (and one Arantxa sort of alluded to in NYC) Arantxa plays the tournaments she likes, where the people like her. She likes Filderstadt; she always plays it. She didn't like Moscow, she doesn't like Zurich. She does as she pleases...she feels she's earned that right. (also remember, Filderstadt is greenset [hardcourt inside] and not the dreaded carpet!) Anyway, that's my theory.

A nice bonus is she gets to hopefully get more dubs points toward the Final 8 -- I know she *expects* she will be playing there as we had a brief conversation about how much we both hate LA! :)

Gallofa
Oct 4th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Yeah, if she's playing here is only because they let her drive a Porsche around :p (and that's true - they loan her a Porsche!).

Good luck Arantxa!!! Vamos!!!

marsha
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Hey gallofa, I think you have hit the nail on the head -- she once said that Porsche was her favorite car and she also said she loves to drive (actually she said "I love to drive FAST!") and as Urpi and I (we saw her driving away from the Lipton a few years ago) can attest to, that is soooo the truth! *LOL*

Julian
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:47 PM
GOOD LUCK ARANTXA!!!! VAMOSSS!! :)

JasonW
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:18 AM
I'm gonna bump this up. But yeah, I definately agree with Marsha. Arantxa will prolly play the tourneys that like her. and the ones she likes.
Hopefully next year she will play at Amelia Island. She likes that tourney ALOT from what I understand. And it's my uh....I guess...home tourney

marsha
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Let's face it, Jason, she *LOVES* Amelia Island-- she's played here every year since she was 13, Mary Jo Griffin is here (her "second grandmother"), all the crowd LOVES her ... AND (best of all, I think.. look at who was here last year -- you and me and Panda and Karl and Randy and Allison -- what's not to love??)

Really once, a few years agao, she told me and my sister it was her *favorite* tournament

tarah
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Good luck Arantxa!!

Julian
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Arantxa first plays Martina in the 1st round..:sad: :mad:

Well, I hope Arantxa tries her best..anything can happen! GOOD LUCK ARANTXA!! :)

JonBcn
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:48 PM
I dont know why, but I sense the distinct possibility of an upset...:cool:

Not a lot of luck in the doubles draw though...the old pairing of Davenport/Raymond are back together again, facing Arantxa and Daniela in the first round...good luck girls!

Joseosu19
Oct 6th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Vamos Arantxa...upset Martina

wave
Oct 7th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Good luck for the first round. As Martina is not playing at her best, there might be an upset. Vamosss Arantxa.

(I'm very sorry that I won't be able to see Arantxa playing near my hometown (probably for the last time), but I have to leave for Athens on Tuesday (business travel)). Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.:sad: :bounce:

DEETHELICK
Oct 7th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Good luck Arantxa!

I really believe she can take Martina out, I don't know why, but I also feel an upset could happen! Arantxa is just so experienced and much more fitter than Martina :)

Plus the dubs draw!! :eek:

mauresmofan
Oct 7th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Come on Arantxa wear Martina down!

Julian
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:04 AM
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW ARANTXA!! :)

In singles and dubs.

ASV_FAN
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:10 PM
I think Arantxa will win in her singles *and* doubles :)!

But with such tough opponents it could turn into quite a demoralising day...

DEETHELICK
Oct 8th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Vamos Arantxa, two huge matches in one day! A busy day!!

Well good luck and take care of business! :)

ASV_FAN
Oct 8th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Well Martina beat her 6-4 6-2 not surprisingly.

Let's look forward to the doubles for a win :) .

JonBcn
Oct 8th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Christ! Not a good day - seven games in two matches. Bloody indoor tennis! (Its for cows, you know)

ASV_FAN
Oct 9th, 2002, 12:09 AM
I wish I was surprised, I honestly do :rolleyes: .

Joseosu19
Oct 9th, 2002, 02:57 AM
:sad: