PDA

View Full Version : KIm news week of Sept 30 2002

KaseyL
Oct 1st, 2002, 10:33 PM
Kim's ranking has dropped to 9 this week.

Bob Larson's predictions for this week re the rankings say that Kim might saty at 9 or drop to 10 :

The Rankings. It looks like it's going to be another quiet week in this department. Once again, there will be no change in the players in the Top Ten. We had thought Martina Hingis would be under threat by now, and indeed she would have been had Daniela Hantuchova played Moscow. But because Hantuchova lost in the Leipzig quarterfinal, and isn't playing Moscow, Hingis is safe at #10 for at least one more week, even if she loses first round.

And there won't be any changes at the top; Serena Williams is guaranteed the #1 ranking, Venus Williams is #2, and Jennifer Capriati #3.

There is some interest below that, though. Monica Seles is the Japan Open champion, and she isn't defending -- and that means that she will fall at least behind Justine Henin. Jelena Dokic, at #5, has still more to defend; she needs to reach at least the semifinal, and probably the final, to stay ahead of Henin and Seles and Amelie Mauresmo. And Lindsay Davenport, with nothing to defend, is also in the mix. The way things stand now, every position from #4 to #10 is up for grabs. If we did all this right, Henin, Mauresmo, Dokic, or Davenport could be #4; Henin, Mauresmo, Dokic, Davenport, or Seles could be #5 or #6 or #7; Dokic, Davenport, Mauresmo, or Martina Hingis could be #8, Hingis or Davenport or Kim Clijsters could be #9, and Hingis or Clijsters could be #10. Whew!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:54 AM
Kim's ranking dropping at the moment really doesn't worry me. She will have a lot of oppertunities to get it back up next year in the many tournaments that she played this year while injured...and if she can keep playing as well as she has been for the last few weeks, she should be able to at least maintain this ranking for the rest of the year

spiritfullfrog
Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:51 AM
what tournament is kim next playing in??
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Kim's next tournament is Filderstadt next week :D It's a great opportunity for Kim to pick up some points :)

pcabenojar
Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:10 AM
Kim will play 3 straight tournaments, starting with the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (in Filderstadt) followed by the Swisscom Challenge (in Zurich) and the Seat Open (in Luxembourg). After that she'll have a week off and she'll play in the Sanex tour Championships starting on Nov. 4.....so it's a pretty busy 3 weeks for Kim.

What's good about her next 2 tournaments is that she could gain more points if she plays well since she lost in the 2R in Filderstadt and she didn't play in Zurich last year. She can more or less defend her Seat open title or at least reach the final round based on the players list that I saw, just hoping that she gets a good draw.

More or less, Kim will stay in the Top 10 I think and that will depends on how well she plays in this remaining tournaments. Daniela Hantuchova & Anastasia Myskina I guess wants to break in the Top 10 in the year end but between the two, I think Daniela has a better chance not unless Myskina plays really really well and win titles, she may have a chance.

Bigkimfan
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
When do we know the results of Kim's shoulder-injury?

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Kim has been ranked number 5 in this week's top ten by tennisreportersnet:

5. Kim Clijsters: The Belgian keeps to a consistent level that lands her in the weekend billing of most tournaments, but she is capable of raising her game a notch to an even more impressive level.