PDA

View Full Version : Belated Ryder Cup congrats!

Halardfan
Oct 1st, 2002, 10:33 PM
With the baord sadly down there was no opportunity to congratulate Europe on their (our) wonderful win in the Ryder Cup.

Im not a golf fan but the event was a thriller. :)

It was thoroughly deserved, and a superb win for the underdogs. Happily too, the crowd behaviour was largely very good, passionately Pro-European yet maintaining a proper degree of respect for the favoured American team. :)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Oct 1st, 2002, 10:38 PM
And Europe played USA off the park :)

Agree with the respectful crowd, even Curtis Strange admitted it.

Colin B
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:07 PM
I agree with everything you say, Chris especially the bit about the crowd behaviour.
Last time it was held in America, they behaved like animals. I couldn't believe I was watching GOLF!

Josh
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:14 PM
LOL, I can't believe people can actually behave like animals during sports like golf or cricket!

Jay
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:31 PM
I dunno about that Josh. The one and only time I got dragged to a cricket match and the English fans, the 'Barmy Army' were mostly drunk and singing songs like (especially when Shane Warne was bowling) 'Aussies take it up the arse'

In fact, it was quite similar to what goes on in the footy at Chelsea

Mind you I think it was a bit strong of Chris to lable the American golfers as 'animals' simply for getting a bit carried away and running onto the green to celebrate their victory prematurely (Olazabal still had a putt to tie the match, although it was a monster putt)

It was a good win over the weekend for the European Team and a great performance from that Welsh bloke to beat that Phil Mickelson who is a great player.

I thought Tiger played shite as if his heart wasn't really in it :confused:

Colin B
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:10 AM
Jay -

It was me that labelled them animals and I was talking about the crowd!
They were particularly unkind to Monty cos he's a bit fat (apparently they really hate him over there). His Dad got jostled and spat on when he tried to stop the spectators insulting his son.
The only American player to spring to Montie's defence was Payne Stewart, who, sadly, died when his plane crashed last year.

BTW, that Cricket match you went to; was it at Edgebaston (Birmingham)? - It often gets a bit rowdy there!

Jay
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
sorry Colin for the misunderstandings

yeah it was Edgebaston about gosh 4 or 5 years ago. I can't even remember what the result was. I spent most of my time in the bar :confused:

and yeah a great shame about Payne Stewart, he was another great player and he brought a bit of colour to the golf course with his 'traditional' attire.