PDA

View Full Version : Hear'say announce split

shirley
Oct 1st, 2002, 06:52 PM
source: The Sun

POPSTARS band Hear’Say have split, The Sun can sensationally reveal.

The UK chart-toppers say they have had enough — less than two years since being created by the ITV show.

Angry Noel Sullivan, Myleene Klass, Suzanne Shaw, Danny Foster and new-boy Johnny Shentall blamed daily abuse from the public which made their lives hell.

Danny, 23, told The Sun: “We have had enough. The public make you and break you.”

Myleene, 24, said: “Nobody deserves what we went through.”

The bombshell comes as the nation is glued to follow-up series Popstars: The Rivals on ITV1.

The band said their lives were made hell by abuse in the street and jeers when they performed.

Pretty Myleene was pushed to the brink of despair by the taunts.

Danny said: “Myleene was being called a bitch every day by people in the street and we were being called w*****s. It all got too much.”

Hear’Say — Myleene, Danny, Noel Sullivan, 22, Suzanne Shaw, 21, and Johnny Shentall, 23 — found it difficult to walk the streets after less than two years of fame turned sour.

And they admitted they realised they were just a pop fad.

Suzanne, from Bury, Lancs, said: “It’s a fad thing, a novelty — it’s like a pair of trainers, one minute they’re in and the next minute they’re out.”

Former Cardiff choirboy Noel admitted: “This comes following a load of events — we thought long and hard about it but we feel the time is right. The signs were there.

“We’re not millionaires but we are a lot better off than we would have been if we had been waiters and cleaners.

“Now we can go back to our families and give something back — we’ve been missing from their lives for nearly two years.

“It’s hard to be in this band and watch these other people, my friends, get called all sorts of names.”

Danny, of Hackney, East London, added: “Hear’Say was a phenomenon at the time and people have seen us grow and evolve into pop stars. We were just cleaners and waiters. It’s been hard work and the pressures got too much.

“It started off so big. Everyone knows us — that brought a unique set of pressures. Singing and performing is what it’s cracked up to be. But all the other stuff that goes along with it is not so good.

“Two months ago we were held up by a gunman and the next day people thought we had made it up as a publicity stunt.

“What kind of people think we would make that up? We were travelling three hours to a roadshow only to get booed.

“We knew it was time to call it a day. There is nothing in the contract that said we were going to last forever. People move on and their tastes change.

“We have always been honest with the public so that’s why we’re being honest about splitting up.”

Myleene, of Norfolk, added: “It’s was like a fairy story, five nobodies and suddenly we were massive. It blew our minds - we lived the dream but people were wanting to write the ending. Nobody deserves what we went through on any level. We never tried to live the pop stars life and we never bought into it.

“If you can’t give 100 per cent then it’s not fair on the fans. If I went to see a pop band I’d want 100 per cent and we can’t do that so we’re splitting.”

Suzanne said: “It’s a build-up of events, when you’ve been the biggest band in the country to suddenly going to roadshows and being booed is just far too much.

“But my advice to the people on the new talent shows like Popstars: The Rivals would be — always follow your dreams, but you have to have thick skin.”

Myleene admitted she had learned about the brutality of the music industry, saying bitterly: “It’s a lesson you shouldn’t learn so young. It’s been a brilliant two-year education.

“I’m educated but there is no education like this, it’s brutal.”

Danny agreed as the five pals posed for their last ever picture together as a band in an East London photo studio.

He admitted: “There is a lot of show but there is a also a lot of business, a hell of a lot of business and that was the most difficult thing to cope with.

“Initially we got great support from the TV company but latterly we didn’t and you need support from everyone.”

Noel said: “None of us know what we’re going to do, maybe spend a bit of time with our families but we have no idea.”

Suzanne said: “You have got to know when to give up. I’m going to miss it, I think we’re all going to miss it. We want to go out on a high. We want to go out while we’re still on top.”

Hear’Say were the toast of pop when debut single Pure And Simple hit No 1 last year.

It was the fastest-selling debut single ever.

But their popularity quickly wore off as the public forgot about ITV’s Popstars.

They were officially created on February 16 last year when judges announced Noel, Myleene, Suzanne, Danny and Kym Marsh, 26, would form the band.

Hear’Say mania swept the nation and the band were unable to go out without being mobbed by fans.

Their second single The Way To Your Love went straight to No1 but sales were markedly down on the debut. Their third single — Everybody — got to No.4 in the UK charts in a week of poor releases.

There were rumours of infighting in the band — particularly between Myleene and Kym.

The rows came to a head in February this year when mother-of-two Kym announced she was leaving the band.

The other members said it was amicable and they swore to carry on without her.

But they lost popularity again with the public when they were accused of rigging the audition for new member Johnny - an ex-backing dancer with the band.

THE LAST PICTURE:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2002450604,00.jpg

LittleTennisFan
Oct 1st, 2002, 06:56 PM
BIG shock... NOT!

I'm surprised that they lasted this long. I thought they would pack it in after Kim left. They left it TOO long.

Oh well, just have to put up with Will & Gareth for 2 years!

BritneySpearsIsHot
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Ruined my evening...............i was hoping Gareth and Will were quitting to run off into the sunset together

Princess Fiona
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
I'm the last person you'd call a Hear'Say f'an, and I find that whole industry pretty abhorrent, really, but I don't like to hear about them being abused in the street. One of the things for which I don't care that much in the UK is the way these people are built up only for it all to come crashing down, and jealousy plays a major part, too... I wish them luck for their future careers :)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
It's the same for anyone in the UK. David Beckham is booed by alot of non Man Utd fans yet when he plays for England those same fans love him :rolleyes:

The British mentality is 'build up, knock down'

Shame but true

Princess Fiona
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:28 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind swapping bank accounts with one of the women (ex!) of Hear'Say... ;)

I just find all the negativity so pointless and unnecessary, that's all...

irma
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
I never heard about this group but it's sick that people abused them on the street :rolleyes:

Jay
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:35 PM
hehe, Hear today and gone tomorrow :)

veryborednow
Oct 1st, 2002, 07:51 PM
The new one has now been in 2 bands for one song ... heh.