PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2010

Daszmarelli
Jan 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Aussie draw:

(5) Elena Dementieva (RUS) v Vera Dushevina (RUS)
Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) v Justine Henin (BEL)
Sorana Cirstea (ROU)v Olivia Rogowska (AUS)
Jelena Dokic (AUS) v Alisa Kleybanova (27) (RUS)
(18) Virgine Razzano (FRA) v Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)
Klara Zakopalova (CZE) v Sara Errani (ITA)
Q v Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU)
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) v Flavia Pennetta (12) (ITA)

tough draw as expected :awww:

Chakvenus
Jan 15th, 2010, 01:57 AM
i think she can at least beat flavia though...this isn't clay...

cosmoose
Jan 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
i think she can at least beat flavia though...this isn't clay...
Flavia was awesome during last year's US summer hard court season.
I'm afraid Anna will be one and done.

Chakvenus
Jan 15th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Flavia was awesome during last year's US summer hard court season.
I'm afraid Anna will be one and done.

true, but i still have faith. besides flavia can be really up and down - as seen both this and last week (crushed Cibulkova and Schiavone, crumbled to Wickmayer and beat Stosur convincingly before capitulating to Rezai)
I just hope shes off.

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
i have no expectations of her beating flavia, if she can keep it close i'll be happy.

such a shame she didn't draw dulgheru, the line above, shes shite.

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
the only plus thing is chak plays better against better competition

HowardH
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I hope we at least get to see a good amount of the match, maybe a stream.

Daszmarelli
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'd be fully surprised if Anna make second round. I don't think a player who lost to Baltacha can beat an 'in shape' Flavia Pennetta. I just hope for a tough match, maybe in three sets.

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
i looked at flavia's record at the oz open and it is kind of crap, also they haven't met on hardcourts. if anna can come out and play free on stress, then the pressure will be on flavia to win it.

hope anna goes for it and puts up a fight.

Daszmarelli
Jan 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
me too :armed:

Break My Rapture
Jan 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
:sad: what a draw.

Chakvenus
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
the only plus thing is chak plays better against better competition

good point. i remember how close she ended up making that 3rd round match with Venus last year at Rome.

GeorgianFan
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
GL Chakiiii!!! :banana:

Daszmarelli
Jan 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
but she always start her big matches so slowly. Against Venus she was bageled in first.

sammy01
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
as if flavia 1st round wasn't bad enough, she will more than likely have to beat wickmayer 2nd round *if* she somehow gets past flav. lol #12 then #16 in the world to get to the 3rd round. shes screwed.

penkku
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
GL Anna, please show us you're a fighter :)

Wintermute
Jan 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
All I can hope for is that Anna gives it her best.

She plays on Monday. Second on Court 3 after a men's match.

Martian Jeza
Jan 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
It will be very hard though for her making a decent run at the AO ! Her form hasn't improved and the fact she went out in the qualies against Kimiko Date in Sydney if my memory is good : doesn't give us much hope seeing her beating Flavia Pennetta but who knows... Yet I give her 20% to beat the Italian. Sad but true.

fish_wilson
Jan 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I predict 2010 will be a tough year for Anna, but you gotta have faith, now is the time to start kicking backing, taking no prisoners.

Break My Rapture
Jan 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Good luck Anna, go for it. :sobbing:

Wintermute
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Anna has entered the Doubles partnering Tamira Paszek. They are down near the bottom of the draw.

Iveta Benesova (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta020576.html) CZE (16)
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta190879.html) CZE (16)
v
Sara Errani (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta310761.html) ITA
Carla Suarez Navarro (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta311338.html) ESP

Andrea Hlavackova (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta080459.html) CZE
Lucie Hradecka (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta310849.html) CZE
v
Anna Chakvetadze (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta310623.html) RUS
Tamira Paszek (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta313035.html) AUT

sammy01
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
i always like to see chak playing doubles, as it can only help.

Break My Rapture
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
:o tough first round in doubles too.

rucolo
Jan 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Very very very tough R1 opponent.:help::(
Don`t really like Pennetta but have to say I was soooo impressed watching her play at US Open and Auckland. She improved everything sooo much: Serve, mental strength, groundstrokes, fitness, patience. To be honest I was shocked how strong her serve is now. Really a weapon now.
Needless to say Pennetta is extremely confident and motivated these days. And she knows how to win! She scares me!

BTW Head To Head:
Pennetta leads 3-0.
Last two matches in 2009:
FED CUP: 4-6 0-6
STUTTGART: 2-6 0-6
:inlove:
This time I expect Anna losing 1-6 0-6!

Tamira/Anna in doubles!:eek::D:hearts:orgasm:
My two faves playing together! Wonderful!
Hlavackova/Hradecka are very difficult R1 opponents. They already won a title this year, at Brisbane. So I expect a clear loss. I wish I could see this match! Hope somebody takes pics of Tamira/Anna!:awww:

Good luck in Aus Open, Anna!;):lol:

i always like to see chak playing doubles, as it can only help.
Me too. Already said it before. If you always get kicked your ass in R1 why not play doubles to get more matches?

gdot
Jan 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM
good luck anna your going to need it :o

Daszmarelli
Jan 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I hope to see her playing mixed as well.

HowardH
Jan 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Just starting, 1-1. Watching at this stream sop://sop.rojadirecta.com:3912/77552 . (Need to install sopcast). Anna wearing white and playing pretty well so far. Going to go the livescore thread :).

sammy01
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM
i like annas oufit, it is very nice, but the skirt isn't the best for the windy conditions lol

Michael.
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM
:sobbing:

Martian Jeza
Jan 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Her movements are too slow, she choses on and on the wrong decisions ! ANd when she finds what she has to do suddenly she collapses yet again ! The proof that girl isn't there at all mentaly ! But what to do if she doesn't want to work on her mental ? And yes, I'm a fan of her but I can't stand mediocrity on and on. That girl needs to begin back from 0. No other choice for her. Get a good coach and also a sport therapist. If you can't, I'm afraid you are going on the same path as Nicole Vaidisova.

Wintermute
Jan 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Given her form I give Anna credit for making it three sets. Sadly defeat seemed inevitable when the draw came out. I didn't see it but I hope she made a good effort.

Alizé Molik
Jan 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I watched this match! Started at like 2 and finished at 7:30pm with rain delays at 4-3* 15-30 with chak serving. Then again at 4-1 chak was up in the second. When she had time on the ball and got her first serve in, she was impressive and you can see why she got as high as #5. Her placement is really good on the ball and angles where impressive.

However, too often the ball sails a metre long on a routine shot. So many forehands went out for no good reason. Another thing I found was that she kept trying to change the direction of the ball at really innappropriate times. Like Penets would hit a high forehand to her backhand crosscourt and she'd try and drill it down the line instead of getting the ball back. Another problem was that not ONCE did her approaches to the net to finish off points work in her favour. All ended in ridiculous unforced errors.

oh and there's the little problem of her being up 2-0 in the final set, losing 2 games in a row, crying. Then totally self distructing and losing all concentration and hitting like 15 errors in the last 4 games because she was so upset and not being able to put a serve in court. If she wants to get back to the top 40 at the very least, she needs to keep control of her emotions.

anyway she had chances and I wish she'd won.

GeorgianFan
Jan 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM
wow 3 sets :worship: :hug:

Nena_xxx
Jan 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Anna played quite good last night... Sadly she had to lost...

HowardH
Jan 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah I think Anna played pretty well for most of the match. She had a fighting chance.

When she had time on the ball and got her first serve in, she was impressive and you can see why she got as high as #5. Her placement is really good on the ball and angles where impressive.

Yeah, it's her angles and placement that made her a top 5 player once.

However, too often the ball sails a metre long on a routine shot. So many forehands went out for no good reason. Another thing I found was that she kept trying to change the direction of the ball at really innappropriate times. Like Penets would hit a high forehand to her backhand crosscourt and she'd try and drill it down the line instead of getting the ball back.

This is the problem now- Anna's attacks tend to miss a bit much. The thing is, Anna always has changed the direction at any time, this is actually her weapon, she could change direction more than most players without missing too much. These days she doesn't seem to quite have the timing for it sometimes, it misses, but she can't avoid doing that because it is what she uses instead of power. I have seen her make those change of direction shots many times, surprising the opponent. But recently she misses the timing on too many of them. For Anna to win matches her touch needs to be good enough that she makes few errors, and her timing needs to be good enough that she can change the direction at will. I think it overall wasn't too bad yesterday.

Another problem was that not ONCE did her approaches to the net to finish off points work in her favour. All ended in ridiculous unforced errors.

:sad: When Anna gets stressed she forces the play near the net, often pushing half volleys long or snatching at volleys. It's as if she is trying to put a little extra effort in to make sure the ball doesn't come back, but instead she misses.

oh and there's the little problem of her being up 2-0 in the final set, losing 2 games in a row, crying. Then totally self distructing and losing all concentration and hitting like 15 errors in the last 4 games because she was so upset and not being able to put a serve in court. If she wants to get back to the top 40 at the very least, she needs to keep control of her emotions.

Anna's emotions :sad: :o :angel:. I didn't see this last set. Doesn't sound good. The problem with her self destruction is she basically gives opponents matches when the match is not over yet, just because she lost some big points. At 2-2 it wasn't over, but in her mind it probably was. When she loses some opportunities she needs to keep playing, because she can create more chances.

anyway she had chances and I wish she'd won.

Me too :hug:.

PerfectForm
Jan 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Anna really had a chance.. was not playing badly... if anything I guess its a sign that her form is not too bad but just a matter of mentally keeping it together. Had a break in the first set, if only she had won the first set..Good luck for the rest of the season Anna.

Pink Princess
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Princess Annahttp://img02.imagefra.me/img/img02/2/1/1/martalarubia/f_w9oit76lsm_7c1502a.gif:smooch::smooch::smooch:Sh e had a BP for 3/0 in 3rd set!!!

Break My Rapture
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Good fight Anna. :hug:

Iggy
Jan 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
North American viewers: did you notice that as ESPN went on a court scan, they landed briefly on Anna's match with Flavia when she was up 4-1 in the second? Mary Carillo made mention of the fact that Anna "is trying to get her game back together" and the "she hasn't been the same player" since the home invasion. This is the first I've heard this mentioned on North American tv, especially since Anna has not been featured in live matches often.

Alizé Molik
Jan 18th, 2010, 10:40 PM
@Howard_H; I did think overall she played better than the other 2 matches so far this year. But as Pink Princess said, when she didn't convert those BP at 2-0 the match was basically over for her then.

rucolo
Feb 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Anna :sad::(:o

R1 loss in singles and doubles. She is really a fallen star.
At least Anna now has time to think about the future.