PDA

View Full Version : Big West - 2010 News

gouci
Jan 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Started to talk about rankings, predictions, analysis, players and news in general relating to the Big West Conference. :bounce:

gouci
Jan 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Women’s Southwest Rankings
January 5, 2010

SINGLES

1. Maria Sanchez - USC
2. Yasmin Schnack - UCLA
3. Danielle Lao - USC
4. Natasha Marks - Arizona
5. Andrea Remynse - UCLA
6. Kelcy McKenna - Arizona State
7. Alison Ramos - USC
8. Valeria Pulido - USC
9. Micaela Hein - Arizona State
10. Arianna Colffer - Pepperdine
11. Julia Trunk - SDSU
12. Maya Johannsen - UCLA
13. Laila Abdala - Arizona State
14. Sarah Landsman - Arizona
15. Stephanie Hammel - UCI
16. Pamela Montez - UCLA
17. Juliette Coupez - USD
18. Anamika Bhargava - Pepperdine
19. Sofia Novak - UCSB
20. Brooke Bartlett - UCI

DOUBLES
1. Schnack / Remynse - UCLA
2. Pulido / Sanchez - USC
3. Hammel / Byron - UCI
4. Brown / Hein - ASU
5. Bhargava / Walters - Pepperdine
6. Montez / Pantic - UCLA
7. Alawi / Manasse - LBSU
8. Marks / Reitsch - UA
9. Trunk / Wais - SDSU
10. Lao / Ramos - USC

gouci
Jan 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Women’s Northwest Rankings
January 5, 2010

SINGLES

1. Jana Juricova - California
2. Denise Dy - University of Washington
3. Anastasia Petukhova - Fresno State
4. Marina Cossou - California
5. Venise Chan - University of Washington
6. Mallory Burdette - Stanford
7. Hilary Barte - Stanford
8. Katrina Zheltova - Sacramento State
9. Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford
10. Mari Andersson - California
11. Lindsay Burdette - Stanford
12. Liudmila Vasilieva - Washington State
13. Stacey Tan - Stanford
14. Catherine Isip - St. Mary's College
15. Alexandra Poorta - St. Mary's College
16. Renata Kucerkova - Fresno State
17. Jennifer Heinser - University of San Francisco
18. Anna Goransson - California
19. Jennifer Yen - Stanford
20. Kasia Siwosz - California

DOUBLES
1. Hilary Barte / Lindsay Burdette - Stanford
2. Denise Dy / Joyce Ardies - University of Washington
3. Mari Andersson / Jana Juricova - California
4. Anastasis Petukhova / Renata Kucercova - Fresno State
5. Stacey Tan / Mallory Burdette - Stanford
6. Veronica Li / Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford
7. Catherine Isip / Anna Chkhikvishvili - St. Mary's College
8. Marina Cossou / Kasia Siwosz - California
9. Claire Soper / Alexandra Poorta - St. Mary's College
10. Katrina Zheltova / Clarisse Baca - Sacramento State

- Interesting Pacific's Jenifer Widjaja is nowhere to be found in the singles ranking. :rolleyes:

- Interesting that Cal Poly is nowhere to be found both in the singles or doubles ranking. :lol:

gouci
Jan 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Players in the Big West ranked on 1/5/10.

Singles

60. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

98. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

109. Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine

Doubles

42. Suzie Matzenauer / Amy Markhoff - Cal Poly

56. Brittany Blalock / Steffi Wong - Cal Poly

58. Rachel Manasse / Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.

RobertCB
Jan 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Surprised the team rankings slipped by you, especially the ones concerning Big West teams ;). Two teams are ranked nationally to start the season:

50 Long Beach State
57 UCI

2nd_serve
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
It is surprising that the preseason rankings are not adjusted for the strength of players gained and lost.

Your point about Fresno makes sense.

St. Mary's in Moraga ought to be ranked this year, they are building strength.

gouci
Jan 7th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Examples:

Team wise, just look at the roster and you see Fresno is going to plummet 25 spots.. but the sheep voted as usual doing no homework.

Singles: Nathasha Marks from AZ had big fall and got no respect... but all the usual suspects up high

1. Why do the singles and doubles rankings for 1/5 have point averages besides the players? That leads me to think the singles and doubles rankings were done by computer and not by committee voting.

2. Fresno St.'s high over ranking may ironically help UCI and LBS this year. :lol: After the Team Indoors the 1st team FS plays is St. Mary's. I think SM will win and then absorb FS ranking while it's still in the top 25 :drool: to land SM in the top 50. If UCI or LBS can defeat a highly ranked SM (like both did last season) that would be a big step in securing an insurance at-large bid for both teams before battling in the Big West Tournament.

gouci
Jan 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Question: How does CP then get 2 doubles and a singles player ranked when none of them appear in either the NW or SW regional rankings? :confused:

I'm guessing the computer rankings are based off the preseason national rankings and not the regional rankings.

Suzie Matzenauer's Fall big wins
- def. Joanna Mather (Florida) in 3 at Riviera
- def. #67 (pre-season) Brittany Blalock (Cal Poly) in 3 at CSF Tourney
- def. Logan Hansen (Stanford) at Regionals
- def. Kasia Siwosz (Cal) at Regionals

Matzenauer / Markhoff Fall big wins
- started Pre-Season ranked #30
- def. #50 (Pre-S) Mahtani/Nguyen (Michigan) at Riviera
- def. Macfarlane/Suess (Florida St.) at Riviera

Blalock / Wong Fall big wins
- def. Armstrong/Dallara (Long Beach St.) CSF Tourney
- def. Fuchs/du Toit (Oregon) at Regionals
- def. Smatova/Cor (Oregon) at Regionals
(Smatova/Cor def. #30 Pre-S Matzenauer/Markoff at Regionals ;))

gouci
Jan 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Here's an article from the San Luis Obispo Tribune.

Cal Poly Tennis: Highly touted seniors have one last chance to get title

Blalock, Matzenauer and Wong have kept the Mustangs’ winning ways intact

By Joshua D. Scroggin

Four years ago, head coach Hugh Bream was in need of restocking a Cal Poly women’s tennis roster that had elevated the team into contention in the Big West Conference.

He got it with the most lauded recruiting class to date, which was headlined by Palm Desert High standout and eventual conference freshman of the year Brittany Blalock.

Tennisrecruiting.net rated Cal Poly third in the nation among mid-major programs for the 2006 class, which also included Melissa Bradford, a player who’s since given up the sport with a chronic back injury.

The class was also bolstered two years later by the addition of Northwestern transfer Suzie Matzenauer, who left Evanston, Ill., to come to Cal Poly following a season in which the Wildcats finished ranked second in the nation.

The results from that point on have been mixed, but with Blalock and her group of former fabulous freshmen and Matzenauer now seniors, the Mustangs have one last shot to maximize their potential before Bream is rebuilding with another young team next year.

The quest for a conference title and NCAA success, one spurred by some new changes to the lineup, begins today with a season opener at home against Cal State Bakersfield at 2 p.m. The Cal Poly men’s tennis team opens at Pepperdine on Wednesday.

“Our first year, it was so young and full of potential,” said Steffi Wong, one of the three seniors still active from Blalock’s recruiting class. “This year, all four of our seniors are so excited, and we’ve matured so much. I think we’re going to take advantage of all of our experience, and I feel like we’re going to capitalize on it. All of us are excited to start the season, and I’m excited to see what we can do. Our confidence level has reached its peak.”

Wong — an Ontario, Canada, native — Blalock and Danish senior Diane Filip have distinctions to be proud of.

The trio helped lead the team to the finals of the Big West Conference Tournament as freshmen, getting the Mustangs to within one match of the NCAA team championships.

The following season, Blalock and Wong finished the year ranked No. 46 in the country as a doubles team, received first-team Big West honors and advanced to the NCAA doubles championships.

Still, Cal Poly has yet to win a Big West title. The Mustangs finished third last season and failed to send an individual or doubles team to the NCAA championships.

“Freshman year, we lost in the finals,” Blalock said. “The last two years haven’t been as successful. (The Big West title) is a good goal. We’ve been there. We’ve tasted it, the seniors have. So, we know what we have to do to win.”

Aiming to improve the team’s results, Bream has changed the doubles assignments, splitting up the Blalock-Wong duo that got to the postseason two years ago and severing the tie between Matzenauer and junior Amy Markhoff, who would have entered the season as Cal Poly’s highest-rated doubles team at 42nd in the nation.

Instead, Wong will be taking the lead in mentoring freshman Alexa Lee, a former five-star recruit from La Quinta High who followed Blalock’s prep footsteps in the Palm Springs area.

Bream is then putting his two strongest singles players — Maztenauer, who was 24-9 splitting time at the No. 1 spot with Blalock (23-10) last season — on the same doubles team.

“I just think Suzie and Brittney, their personalities complement each other on the court,” Bream said. “Britt is kind of the calm steady hand, and Suzie is the really competitive, fiery, explosive part of the pair. And that balance just really works well for both their chemistry and their level of play.”

Blalock and Matzenauer have only been playing together for a few months and are still feeling each other out as partners. How quickly they congeal could go a long way in determining the success of this team and whether that 2006 recruiting class will be remembered for living up to its lofty expectations.

Players admit to feeling the pressure to succeed in previous years, but this season, there’s a concerted effort to let success come to them.

“You just have to relax and calm down, breathe and think, ‘This is my last year,’ ” Matzenauer said. “I need to just have fun with it. There’s nothing to lose. It’s better to give it your all rather than be tight all year.”

2nd_serve
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Just from the weather reports, it looks like tomorrow's UC Irvine opener against San Francisco will be rained out.

gouci
Jan 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Form enjoy your Washington D.C. sightseeing mini-vacation this weekend. :drool:

The matches should be quick and short giving you lots of time to go sightseeing. The feeling should be stress free like a vacation with Long Beach St.'s victory at no time in any doubt. The cupcake matches in all likelihood will end up both 7-0 wins by LBS. :lick:

P.S.
Spend as much quality time with Anna Jeczmionka on this trip while she's still a 49er. AJ only has 2 wins so far this season, 1 over a UCI walk-on (M. Young) and the other over a CSUN walk-on (Massi). And she managed to lose to a Fresno St. (Modoc) & Cal Poly (Davis) walk-on. :happy:
I fear AJ's Long Beach St. career may be cut short. :scared:

gouci
Feb 11th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Here are my predictions & notes for what the Big West regular season standings may be.

Form, RobertCB & 10sFan please post your predictions as well! :bounce:

1. UC Irvine

- I had Klaudia Malenovska missing the UCI match or at least being rusty

2. Long Beach St.

- I had KM eligible for Cal Poly & UCSB in April
_____

3. UC Santa Barbara

- I had Jill Damon or Michelle Murphy back vs Cal Poly. I wonder if mid-season transfer Jordan Dockendorf is on scholarship & took Damon's or Murphy's place?

4. Cal Poly
_____

5. Pacific

6. UC Davis

7. Cal St. Northridge
_____

8. Cal St. Fullerton

- I had Leslie Bullock playing vs UCR in April

9. UC Riverside

10sFan
Feb 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hey Gouci,

Any revisions as we go into the heart of the league season?

I haven't seen any of the UCI or LB matches, but UCI looks really deep in singles and would appear to have a couple point edge over LB there. The only cloud I see for UCI is that LB would appear to have the edge in doubles, which can be huge in a close match - Taking the doubles point at SD State is impressive. I don't know what impact this KM will have, but if she is strong, then that and the doubles point might make the match pretty close. Is she coming off an injury, or is it an eligibility issue?

Doesn't seem like UCSB will beat Cal Poly, but I don't really know enough to predict that one. Hope UCR takes CSUF, but their Cal Poly Pomona performance was less than impressive. Against SD State though, UCR picked up a point, and a couple of split sets, while CSUF got nada, against a pretty comparable lineup. Tiffany Mai is having a good season, but UCR looks deeper and Taylor Raney had a better showing against Utah.

In the end, I would probably drop UCSB a spot or two, and follow my heart and move UCR ahead of CSUF, but otherwise agree. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

gouci
Feb 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
- Klaudia Malenovska has a pro tournament win over Chelsey Gullickson of Georgia and an ITF junior tourney win over Julia Cohen of Miami. You may have heard of these 2 players as Gullickson and Cohen both reached the NCAA singles semi-finals last season. So with KM in the line-up LBS maybe the favorite to win the Big West Tournament.

- 10sFan if you watch the LBS @ UCR match I would like to get your impression on who the better player is Armstrong or Dallara. Armstrong has been the sacrificial lamb at #1 for LBS allowing Dallara to duck the other team's best player, like SDSU's Trunk who just recently beat Washington's Venice Chan, and stealing a point at #2. In my opinion Armstrong should really be playing behind Manasse at #4 singles.

- Also take a peek to see if Manasse is back to last season's form. She was injured in the Fall but even if she's back to old form I doubt she'll be moving up the line-up. LBS likes to stack their #4 singles. Last season Dallara won 21 of her last 22 matches at #4 and NEVER once moved up to #3.

- I had UCSB over Cal Poly because the gauchos have had the mustangs number of late knocking them out in the 1st round of the Big West Tourney the last 2 seasons. Plus my prediction scenario had Damion or Murphy coming back at #1 or #2 singles and pushing the entire UCSB line-up down. Without Damon or Murphy UCSB drops behind Cal Poly.

- Cal Poly is a dangerous team. Blalock and Matzenauer combined can almost get Cal Poly 3 automatic points in the Big West at doubles plus #1 & #2 singles. Then Cal Poly just needs to win 1 point from #3-6 singles to get the win. The loser of the UCI at LBS match probably runs into Cal Poly at the Big West Tournament.

- I had CS Fullerton beating UCR only with Leslie Bullock, last season's #1 for the Titans, playing.

gouci
Feb 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Will UCI's 'semi pro' tear up the team chemistry?Form since you bring up chemistry, let me tell you a true story which is not a rumor but I saw it and heard the words for myself.

1. During last season's Big West Tournament I was watching the Long Beach St. head coach trying to help Julie Luzar win her key match against UCI's Rebecka Kwan. Then what happened next shocked me. :eek: The Long Beach St. head coach could be heard shouting "Fine do it your way! (Julie)" as she stormed away angrily from the court. :haha:

That example proves that Julie Luzar can luck into a big victory even after brushing off her OWN head coach. Apparently there doesn't even need to be chemistry between the head coach and a player to win in some cases. :lol:

2. After her match the Long Beach St. head coach asked Julie Luzar to get something (a thigh wrap?) for Lisa Sutton who was still playing. Luzar walked away slowly. The LBS head coach and 2 other 49er players standing next to her needed to shout out together "Hustle Julie!" when they saw Luzar taking her sweet time. When Luzar heard this she didn't run but started to just jog and only for a few yards. After passing 1 tennis court Luzar looked back and saw that the head coach and 49ers players had turned their backs to watch the Sutton match. So Luzar stopped jogging and began walking slowly again the rest of the way. :eek::eek::haha:

So if Long Beach St. can win the Big West with Julie Luzar's attitude as part of the team, then team chemistry is way overrated in college tennis. :devil:

10sFan
Feb 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Gouci, I hope to make it to the LB/UCR match, though I don't know if the UCR match will be much of a basis for insight into the Armstrong/Dallara controversy. UCR's #1 had a decent tournament season, but has not played well the last couple of matches and has moved to #2. Taylor started out kind of rocky, but played well in the second set against Utah when she showed the potential I think she has. In my opinion, UCR's current #1 is playing ahead of those two primarily because she has been more consistent, and I expect everyone, including her, would like to see the other two regain their form so that she can play #3, where she might have more success.

I know Julie, so no comment except to say that I like Julie, and yet the story doesn't surprise me :) I will say that though I don't know her, based on her reputation, the LB coach seems a bit like Julie's high school coach in attitude and disposition.

While I think team chemistry is certainly desirable, it can be difficult to achieve in an individual sport like tennis. I think that the best tennis players will tend to be pretty individualistic because it takes a tremendous amount of confidence to go out and play a singles match, knowing that the entire team is relying on you. Any player that possesses that degree of confidence, is not likely to be easily intimidated by a coach. I expect coaches to demand hard work and commitment, but in my mind, the best coaches will gain the player's respect, and then use that respect to lead the players to play the way they want them to.

I also think that college coaches have to respect the fact that the players have a commitment to getting an education. To their credit both UCI and LB does seem to do that as I seem to recall that UCR and LB had something like 4 BW scholar athletes last year, while UCI had 3. While in Vegas, I met a recent UCR tennis alum that is one of several now in med school, and personally I see that as a very positive testament to the program. The UCR players aren't taking any of those mickey mouse classes like Miss Hammel :)

It should be a fun season, and I really hope injuries don't mar the season for any of the teams! I would like to see the best team win, and the other teams strive to become the best!

10sFan
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I absolutely agree that succeeding in education and athletics are not mutually exclusive, and if the motivation is there, the athlete *will* succeed in both because the same dedication and willingness to sacrifice to achieve a goal is required for each. But I think that is true primarily for the typical majors such as Bus Ad. When you begin talking about engineering or science majors, with pre med as probably the extreme, it takes an exceptional student athlete to succeed academically, and compete at a high level, because the academics are just too demanding. If I were a coach, I would certainly consider a student's intended major as a factor in evaluating a candidate because a demanding major will take its toll on the athlete.

Do you happen to know how many of the LB starters are bio or chem majors for example? UCI as a whole is absolutely filled with bio/chem pre-med, pre-pharmaceutical et al majors, and yet I suspect that Stephanie is the only one starting for UCI.

I don't really mean to disagree because I do think that the discipline learned through sports improves a students ability to succeed both academically, and in life. I am sure that the school's resources and interest in maintaining an athlete's eligibility can also assist a student who might otherwise struggle.

The NCAA's tougher requirements for admission eligibility also seems to be having an impact on junior players, as the word is getting out that athletes who focus exclusively on their sport to the detriment of their academics, are finding the college doors closed to them.

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate the time that you and GoUCI put into the forum, as I am learning a great deal.

gouci
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Players in the Big West ranked on 2/18/10.

Singles

93. Sofia Novak - UC Santa Barbara

120. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly

122. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

- Stephanie Hammel will be ranked again when the next list comes out. She has wins over newly ranked:

#58 Julia Trunk
#124 Megan Alexander

- Jenifer Widjaja's ranking was pulled down by a loss to unranked Gabriela Niculescu. But her ranking will skyrocket with wins over newly ranked:

#53 Mary Weatherholt (improved from #116)
#54 Stacy Tan
#61 Liudmila Vasilieva (improved from #124)
#81 Ute Schnoy
#113 Molly Scott

Doubles

55. Rachel Manasse / Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.

RobertCB
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Well Saturday's match between UCI and LBSU should be for the regular season title. I believe that it will be a hard fought and very competitive match but without KM, and with three other freshman in the line up playing so early in the season, I have to give the nod to UCI. Darn, it was hard for me to type that :). My season predictions are:

Regulars Season:

1. UCI
2. LBSU
3. Cal Poly
4. UCSB
5. Pacific
6. UCD
7. Northridge
8. Fullerton
9. Riverside

However, I see LBSU winning the BW tourney with or without KM since the other freshman should have improved immensely. LBSU seems to always improve more than the other conference schools along the way.

gouci
Feb 19th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Rob how about Julie Luzar. Will the insubordinate one from LBS's last win over UCI be playing singles Sat.? :lol:

Rob I'm interested to get your honest opinion, if Dallara & Armstrong played against each other who do you think would win? :hehehe:
How about if Armstrong played against Manasse? I'll answer the question 1st. In my honest opinion I think both Dallara and Manasse have recovered enough from their injury and would beat Armstrong in singles head to head.

fantic
Feb 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I want to go to LBS...but doesn't it rain tomorrow? :bigcry:

gouci
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
At the LBS-UCI match there were new banners hanging over the 49er tennis courts.

For 2002 #5 singles Cheryl Kindred was on the banner. What no love for #1 Anastasia Dvornikova or #3 Alena Dvornikova who deserves more credit for Long Beach St. winning that 2002 championship. :haha:

For 2006 WALK-ON Krystina Katayama was on the banner. Katayama didn't even play singles or doubles during the Big West Tournament in 2006. What no love for #2 singles Katy Williams who deserves more credit for LBS winning that 2006 championship. :happy:

I like how Long Beach St. is trying to rewrite history in terms of who should be credited on those banners for winning those league titles. So all those 49ers that didn't graduate from LBS, and there are a lot of them, will there heads be cut out of the team pictures like what girls do to pictures with their boyfriends after they've been dumped. :lol:

RobertCB
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Gouci, I am enjoying how deep in your bag of tricks you need to go after UCI goes down to LBSU once again. Using banners as a tool is getting pretty pathetic. Sooner or later you will be able to talk about a win but that will not happen for at least another 3 or 4 years... if ever :). Go Beach!

10sFan
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Sorry GoUCI, as much as I would like to see UCI win at the tourney, I kind of agree with the guys on this one. I don't know what impact KM will have on the outcome, but if I were Mike, I wouldn't be wasting time worrying about KM or banners. Byron can certainly improve her doubles play so that UCI doesn't have to rely on chance to take the doubles point, and that will also preserve more of Hammel's energy for singles. I think Hammel has the weapons that she needs to defeat Dallara - She just needs the right strategy. I didn't watch enough of the #2 on Saturday, but I watched more of Alawi against UCR, and she has some weaknesses as well, and Mike needs to develop a strategy to exploit them. There will never be any certainty in a tennis match, but the team that does the preparation will put themselves in the best position to win. It is too bad that tennis coaches don't exchange videos like football coaches, but there is nothing that prohibits UCI sending scouts to watch some Beach matches is there? I bet LB scouts have been to watch UCI matches.

I think part of the reason that UCR did as well against LB as they did, was that the LB coaching staff did not anticipate much of a battle, and had not done the preparation that they obviously put into the UCI match. The head coach and Grady were kept pretty busy making adjustments to try and right the ship, as players became so frustrated that they were being warned for ball abuse and foreign language outbursts. If UCR meets LB in the tourney, no doubt LB will come better prepared.

Perhaps it was even a disadvantage to UCI that they won the doubles point, as they perhaps relaxed a bit too much going into the singles. Even when UCI seemed to have several of the singles matches in hand in the first set, I feared it was not over, because the LB girls will always battle, and the LB coaches will always be making adjustments, and I respect and appreciate that, even in an opponent.

gouci
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:47 AM
... but there is nothing that prohibits UCI sending scouts to watch some Beach matches is there? :secret: You know Form was positive I was serving as this UCI scout last season like when St. Mary's played at Long Beach St.
Maybe he's right? :tape::lol:

10sFan thanks for the LBS at UCR account. :worship:

I don't know which cracks me up more, LBS putting a walk-on on their championship banner or LBS getting warned for foreign language outbursts. :happy: . :happy:

10sFan
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I guess I can see that - if you are familiar with the players from the tournament season, there is no need to scout a dual match. I could certainly be accused of scouting, but I actually just enjoy great tennis, and college tennis is an incredible value - You can see some great tennis for just the cost of parking. I also know a handful of the players from the Juniors, and enjoy seeing how they develop. I guess I will have to buy sweatshirts from the various schools so that I can blend in :)

The UCR/LB match certainly must be one of the stranger matches on record. The doubles went quickly except at 3, and then 6 and 4 singles must have taken less than 30 minutes, but the score then remained at 3-0 for certainly more than 90 minutes, and probably closer to 2 hours, until Dallara finally prevailed at 1. The 3rd sets had just begun at 2 and 3, and 5 was about to begin a 3rd set, but it was changed to a tie-breaker because the match was resolved. The LB coach certainly deserves credit for scheduling a challenging match the afternoon before their biggest match :D Actually, I think the 2, 3, and 5 probably did benefit for the UCI match, but probably not Dallara, because she faced a completely different style of player than Hammel. That might even be why she was a little rough in the first set the next day.

fantic
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I guess I can see that - if you are familiar with the players from the tournament season, there is no need to scout a dual match. I could certainly be accused of scouting, but I actually just enjoy great tennis, and college tennis is an incredible value - You can see some great tennis for just the cost of parking. I also know a handful of the players from the Juniors, and enjoy seeing how they develop. I guess I will have to buy sweatshirts from the various schools so that I can blend in :)

Do you watch high school tennis too? If you do, were you threatened and ejected like me? :lol:
And most of the time, you don't even have to pay parking fee :lol: Park at the near residential area! ;)

10sFan
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Do you watch high school tennis too? If you do, were you threatened and ejected like me? :lol:
And most of the time, you don't even have to pay parking fee :lol: Park at the near residential area! ;)

Haha - Yes, I have watched high school matches, but no ejections yet. I will have to add that to my bucket list :)

I will have to try out your suggestion for parking, but I am still a noob and just learning how to find the courts period, let alone the cheap parking.

Tenniswish
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
The NCAA does prohibit schools from paying any expenses for a coach to scout upcoming opponents.

In basketball, football and women's volleyball, off-campus, in-person scouting is strictly prohibited except at tournaments where a team is participating and then coaches can watch other games.

In sports other than those three, coaches wouldn't be able to receive any money to cover expenses. Furthermore, if a coach is traveling as part of the team or on a recruiting trip, then the coach is not allowed to scout during that trip. See NCAA Bylaw 11.6.2.

I guess if a coach wanted to drive across town and watch a match, he/she could, but this rule really protects the coaches from themselves since not being able to pay for scouting trips keeps heads coaches from sending their assistant coaches all over the place to scout opponents.

gouci
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 3/2/10.

Singles

73. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

80. Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine

93. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

Doubles

60. Steffi Wong / Alexa Lee - Cal Poly :cuckoo:

Team

46. Long Beach St.

64. UC Irvine

71. Cal Poly

gouci
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hey Form hypothetical question for you.

If a nationally ranked player gets kicked off a team for whatever reason what happens to their ranking? Does it stay or is it removed from the polls?

gouci
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
What's the minimum number of matches? Then I'll give you a hint.

gouci
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
You'll have to research & provide the answer for me before I give you a hint. :lol:

Embittered
Mar 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Fresno... it's 10 matches btw
Maybe I have the wrong idea here, but shouldn't you be looking for a currently ranked player with a counting loss to UCI team member?

gouci
Mar 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Big hint: :secret: Her name contains the letter "Z".

gouci
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM

How the mighty have fallen! :bigcry:
Will Fresno St. get to 5 wins this season?

I suspect if the Fresno St. coach is asked why they were ranked #16 in the preseason but currently have zero wins he will try to imply it's because #12 Anastasia Petukhova couldn't play in all the matches. :lol:

But actually Fresno St. is being hurt by the coach's recruiting mistakes in departed Vanessa Heroux and Abigail Olivier who should have secured the bottom of the line-up this season. :help:
That's why I like no more allowing mid-season transfers as an instant fix for the big budget teams.

Speaking of more of the coach's recruiting mistakes...
My psychic powers tell me Fresno St. will fire 2 if not more of the 5 freshman from this season's team. :hehehe:

Hint: 1 of the freshman has the letter "y" in her name and the other has the letter "g". :help:

gouci
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
He has not made that many recruiting mistakes. He got lucky.

gouci - So I guess you're saying he got lucky with Melanie Gloria like Long Beach St. got lucky with Hannah Grady. :lol:

form - :explode: LBS has won 6 straight Big West Tournament titles in a row. That's 2 straight even before Grady arrived. :shout:

gouci - The guy has been head coach there for 6 years. Fresno St. has won 6 straight WAC Tournament titles in a row. That's 2 straight even before Gloria arrived, including making the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2004. :rolleyes:

form - Oops! :o

gouci
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:18 AM
:shout:

Last edited by James : Today at 08:54 AM.
Form got edited again! :nerner: . :haha:

Form if they keep track here of how many times you've been edited for being abusive your tally is piling up. :scared:

Please exercise more restraint because I don't want to see you get banned. :hug:

gouci
Mar 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Rumors and innuendo that's the nature of a message board. :lol:

If you see something erroneous feel free to point it out. :bigclap:

gouci
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hey Form have you heard which sports UC Davis is cutting? :sad:

My guess would be w. field hockey, w. lacrosse, w. rowing, w. gymnastics and m. wrestling.

gouci
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 3/16/10.

Singles

77. Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine

87. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

91. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

- Hammel takes the lead in the race for the Big West NCAA singles bid. :woohoo:
Losses to Anais Dallara, Brooke Doane and Tiffany Mai were just bumps in the road that couldn't stop Hammel's ranking from improving. :lol:

gouci
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Hey Form have you heard if either men's or women's tennis is on the chopping block at UC Davis?

Maybe UC Riverside can pickup a player or 2 from Cal Poly Pomona with their program being cut. :bounce:
Pomona isn't that far from Riverside and CPP #1 singles Christie Lau is only a freshman while #2 singles Jackie Trendt is only a sophomore.

10sFan
Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Perhaps this has already been posted, and if so, I apologize http://theaggie.org/article/2010/03/11/budget-cuts-could-mean-loss-of-up-to-nine-sports

Reading between the lines, Davis has been able to fund so many sports by subsidizing their coaching salaries with general funds in return for teaching PE classes, and a lot of those funds are going to dry up. Since it appears that they are pretty committed to keeping football, I would think that it is unlikely that they would be able to let go of many women's teams because of the Title IX. I would guess that women's tennis is as safe as any sport outside of the ones cited as priorities in the article.

10sFan
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
It seems that mathematically, the tuition increases will result in a decrease in the number of scholarship equivalents at all the public schools, even if the absolute dollars stays the same. In my recent alumni newsletter from Cal, the projected total cost for in-state tuition, including books and incidentals (which I believe is the same figure used to establish a full time scholarship equivalent) is somewhere north of $28,000 for 2010-11, compared to a bit over $23,000 for 2009-10. This works out to a loss of about 1.5 fse's if the absolute dollars remains the same out of 8 scholarships. With any reduction in dollars, we could see a lot of schools experience a drop of 2 scholarships. Tough times with no easy choices or solutions.

gouci
Mar 31st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 3/30/10.

Singles

83. Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine

85. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

86. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly

91. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

125. Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.

Doubles

26. Suzie Matzenauer / Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly

gouci
Apr 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
The rule shrinking the one year grace period from HS to college down to just 6 months in tennis passed this week. All sports (no more 26 year old freshman Quarterbacks at Boston College). For tennis it is effective August 2011 so the word has time to spread world wide.

The NCAA Division 1 Legislative Council passed Proposal 2009-22 (the new 6 month rule) on Jan. 14, 2010. Out of the 32 conferences that voted the Big West was one of the few conferences that voted against the new rule.

The Big West Conference's NO VOTE :fiery: was placed by representative Cindy Masner, Sr. Associate AD/SWA at Long Beach St.

Maybe Long Beach St. voted against the new rule out of self interest. In the future they wanted to be able to sign more 21 year old freshmen to be like Klaudia Malenovska. :happy:

gouci
Apr 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Big West national team rankings on 4/6/10.

33. Long Beach St. - 22.10 points
58. Cal Poly - 9.82
72. UC Irvine - 6.34

77. UC Santa Barbara - 4.63
100. Cal St. Northridge - 3.63

119. UC Davis - 2.66
197. Pacific - 1.45
219. UC Riverside - 1.03
297. Cal St. Fullerton - 0.19

Big West key non-conference opponents

82. San Diego St. - 4.44
83. Santa Clara - 4.43
86. Washington St. 4.19
89. Denver - 4.02
106. San Francisco 3.17

189. Fresno St. - 1.53

gouci
Apr 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
San Diego St. has 3 more chances to beat ranked teams. :cheer:
They still play #73 TCU, #64 San Diego and a ranked opponent in the Mountain West Tournament.

San Diego St. should beat San Diego and IMHO SDSU will be ranked at the end of the regular season. :hehehe:

fantic
Apr 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Gouci... nice dig on the non-Top 75 on ITA page. Great dig. Well done. :worship:

Unless LB can beat either St Mary's or Pepp, I fear they shall slide out of at large berth ranking. SD State dropped today, Nevada will next week and unless UCI gets a really good MASH unit, they are headed out too due to the severe injury problems. The more those fall, they will drag LB right with them as happened two years ago.

:lol:

Seems like a lose-lose situation for both teams.

gouci
Apr 13th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 4/13/10.

Doubles

41. Suzie Matzenauer / Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
Down 15 from #26.

Singles

74. Stephanie Hammel - 8.43 pts. - UC Irvine
Up 9 from #83 since last rankings.

97. Jenifer Widjaja - 6.16 pts. - Pacific
Down 6 from #91.

99. Suzie Matzenauer - 5.97 pts. - Cal Poly
Down 14 from #85.

NR. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
Down 40+ from #86.

NR. Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.
Down 1+ from #125.

- Hammel's #74 is the highest singles ranking for a UCI player in about a decade :worship: since Maureen Diaz played for UCI.

- I'm surprised Alawi dropped out of the rankings after picking up a ranked win over Blalock. But with Nevada's #1 getting ranked and the ranking of Washington St.'s #1 jumping up I'm sure Alawi will bounce back into the rankings next week.

- I'm really surprised at the free fall Blalock's ranking has taken just from being shut out at LBS and Pepperdine. :eek:

gouci
Apr 15th, 2010, 03:42 AM
The front page of TRN is an article about the UC Davis recruiting class (http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=943).

The mid-major recruiting class rankings haven't come out yet but since UC Davis was the only mid-major on the recruiting class national rankings, then by default they have the top mid-major recruiting class. :worship:

Last year Long Beach St. out of the Big West had the #2 mid-major recruiting class. While in 2008 UCI out of the Big West had the #7 mid-major recruiting class.

The Big West on 3/30 had 5 players nationally ranked, the most I can ever recall.

Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine
Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly
Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific
Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.

Another handful of players have been ranked briefly or have defeated nationally ranked caliber players.

Anais Dallara - Long Beach St.
Sofia Novak - UC Santa Barbara
Courtney Byron - UC Irvine
April Bisharat - UC Irvine

So the Big West in its history is at an all time influx of top of the line-up talent with more coming in for next season.

fantic
Apr 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Fri Apr 30 -- 9am # 1 seed Long Beach vs # 8/9 winner Riverside or Fullerton **

** - Small children should not be made to watch this match.

Huh? :lol: I thought I might make a trip to watch it...IW, right? Is a casual fan allowed to watch?

gouci
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Men's tennis at UC Davis was saved!

I think 6 is the minimum number of teams for a conference to get an automatic NCAA bid. If Davis had cut men's tennis then winning the Big West Tournament would not have gotten you into the dance.

UC Davis dropping 4 sports (http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/genrel/041610aaa.html)

gouci
Apr 20th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 4/20/10.

Doubles

32. Suzie Matzenauer / Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
Up 9 from #41.

Singles

81. Stephanie Hammel - 7.36 pts. - UC Irvine
Down 7 from #74 and down 1.07 pts from 8.43.

82. Jenifer Widjaja - 7.15 pts. - Pacific
Up 15 from #97 and up 0.99 pts from 6.16.

100. Suzie Matzenauer - 5.85 pts. - Cal Poly
Down 1 from #99 and down 0.12 pts from 5.97.

The NCAA singles bid out of the Big West is still a tight 3 way race.
- Widjaja gets a ranked player vs Nevada.
- Matzenauer still has a chance to pick up good wins against Fresno St. and Long Beach St.

gouci
Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
I uncovered a potential Big West ranking wild card in Wyoming. :help:

- TCU going from unranked to #67 this week will increase the rankings of #75 San Diego St. and #71 BYU.

- Now Wyoming has wins over both SDSU and BYU. So if SDSU & BYU were able to jump their rankings into the 60's then that might be enough to get Wyoming ranked. :bounce:

- Not to mention Wyoming can definitely get ranked by beating BYU for a 2nd time in the MWC Tourney 1st Round. Go Wyoming. :cheer:

- UCSB and CSUN both defeated Wyoming and would be pulled up if Wyoming was ranked.

- In fact wins over #69 UCI and a ranked Wyoming may be enough to get UCSB ranked in the 70s and help the rest of the Big West.

gouci
Apr 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Happy belated birthday to

21 year old FRESHMAN
Klaudia Malenovska
of Long Beach St.

:bdaycake: . . :bdaycake: . . :bdaycake:

:aparty: . . :aparty: . . :aparty: .

I wonder if Malenovska celebrated with an alcoholic beverage :drink::drink::drink: because she's old enough to legally drink as a freshman!!!

In comparison when Jessica Weeks turned 21 she had already graduated and played 4 years of tennis at Long Beach St. while Malenovska has yet to play her 1st match. :tape:

tennisbuddy12
Apr 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM
# 40 Nebraska 4, # 57 Okie State 2 .... though the Cowgirls claim three defaults in doubles since the played singles first, had weather delay, lost and Nebraska decided it was time to hit the interstate. Coach Young is a pearl.

That should move Nebraska, along with yesterday's win at OK, into top 35.

BUT BAD NEWS FOR LB

# 57 Marshall upsets # 27 SMU at ConfUSA tourney... which will likely jump Marshal into top 45... PUSHING LB backwards

and if Marshall upsets #35 Tulsa tomorrow, that would move the final at large forward to # 44....

What do you mean he is a pearl?

tennisbuddy12
Apr 26th, 2010, 12:59 AM
PM me b/c I want to know what you are talking about and I cant PM you. I still dont understand what you mean by pearl lol

gouci
Apr 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Representatives from the Big West ranked on 4/27/10.

Doubles

49. Suzie Matzenauer / Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
Down 17 from #32.

Singles

79. Jenifer Widjaja - 7.98 pts. - Pacific
Up 3 from #82 and up 0.83 pts from 7.15.

84. Stephanie Hammel - 7.34 pts. - UC Irvine
Down 3 from #81 and down 0.02 pts from 7.36.

100. Suzie Matzenauer - 5.76 pts. - Cal Poly
Same from #100 and down 0.09 pts from 5.85.

I'm surprised Jaklin Alawi isn't ranked with all her ranked wins below.

60. Liudmila Vasilieva - Washington St.
80. Mary Weatherholt - Nebraska
92. Alicia Aguilar - San Diego St.
100. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly
105. Maria Mizyuk - Nevada

gouci
Apr 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hey Form do you have any Belgium rankings info for the new Cal Poly recruit Florence Lehane?

gouci
Apr 29th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Cal Poly

- Did Courtney Hull redshirt this season?

- CP takes a big step back if Alexa Lee is their #1 or #2 singles next season.

fantic
Apr 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Cornea is good..lost to Heneghan (UC Davis bound) at CIF SS individual championship last december in a 3-setter..

and the link (http://www.bigwest.org/assets/sports/tennis/10%20Tennis%20Bracket.pdf)

for big west tourney. I'm not sure I'll be there, though..is it free or what? parking fee?

gouci
Apr 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I guess could be called a red shirt... but a 2 star # 1390 in the USTA 18's... she's ranked behind Marsh and McPike on depth chart. Just a walk on getting chance to practice and early sign up for classes.Form you opened your mouth without 1st doing your homework again. :cuckoo:

Maybe Courtney Hull is injured because she had pretty good wins last season over Cal Poly's Shannon Brady and Steffi Wong. :lol:

I'm not sure I'll be there, though..is it free or what? parking fee?
Free if you don't count the $30 round trip cost for gas. :lol:

fantic
Apr 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
:lol: thanks, guys.

gouci
Apr 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I hope u keep opening ur mouth as enjoy humor in describing wins over Brady as nice. Is that the new bar for being a line up player? It is when we're talking about Cal Poly and that's the new bar considering the team Cal Poly will field next season. :lol:

Steffi Wong is Cal Poly's #3 so Hull defeating Wong 6-4,6-0 in a dual match last season doesn't put Hull ranked behind Marsh and McPike on the depth chart. You would have known this if you did your homework and looked at her match results instead of just assuming things based on her 2 star ranking. :o

gouci
Apr 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Or it's a horrendous loss by Wong. I knew damn well about one lame fall match.

Apparently you didn't since the Hull-Wong match wasn't in the Fall but during the Spring! :happy:

gouci
May 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
Huge upset!!!

#69 UCI def. #45 LBS 4-1 (http://www.ucirvinesports.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/050210aaa.html)

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

UCI is going DANCING!!!

:dance: . . . :dance: . . . :dance: . . dancing yeah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBKPAZlo-OQ&feature=related)

UCI snaps Long Beach State's 38 game Big West wins streak. :drool::drool:

The UCI men's tennis team also wins the Big West Tournament title. :worship:

The drive to Indian Wells felt long. But funny how after UCI won both the women & men's Big West Tournament titles it was pure bliss and the drive back to the OC felt short with time just flying by. :drive:

gouci
May 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
My best guess is that UCI will be sent to the Tennessee regional to play Iowa or headed to the Florida St. regional to play Georgia.

14. Tennessee 1 seed
21. Iowa 2 seed

15. Florida State 1 seed
19. Georgia 2 seed

I'm really hoping UCI gets to play Iowa :bounce: instead of Georgia. :help:

gouci
May 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM
The Cal Poly coach seems like the only Big West coach to do press conferences.

Cal Poly coach address Central Coast media 4/26/10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5au7xlDr-VU)

"This year the conference is by far the best year since I've been here the last 10 years" - CP coach

I agree. And UCI winning the title during the strongest year ever for the Big West is extra sweet. :drool:

gouci
May 22nd, 2010, 01:14 AM
UCI's head coach Mike Edles is named

ITA Southwest Region
2010 Coach of the Year

:worship: . . :worship: . . :worship: . . :worship: . . :worship:

gouci
May 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
It seems like the more allegations of cheating Form charges the UCI coach, the more Coach of the Year awards the UCI coach picks up. :happy: :happy: :happy:

The way they're dismissing Form's cheating allegations, it's like the college tennis coaching community is rubbing Form's allegations in his face by bestowing the UCI coach even more Coach of the Year honors. :nerner: . . :haha::haha: . . :drool::drool::drool:

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
... they will be changing rules to prevent it from happening again... well done.
Kinda like how they're changing the rules to ban any future Klaudia Malenovskas the 21 YEAR OLD FRESHMAN! of Long Beach St. :lol:

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Like OJ celebrating his criminal trial acquital. We all know and something smells 20 years later.
You're comparing where someone plays in a tennis line-up to the magnitude of a double murder case? :eek:
Thanks Form for giving people insight into your delusional thinking. No wonder you're so bitter! :cuckoo:

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
#81 Jenifer Widjaja (Pacific) vs #21 Sanaz Marand (UNC) at Wed. 8:30 A.M.

singles draw (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/2010NCAASinglesDraw.pdf)

#48 Brittany Blalock/ Suzie Matzenauer (Cal Poly) vs
#11 Csilla Borsanyi/ Lenka Broosova (Baylor) at Thurs. 2:00 P.M.

doubles draw (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/2010NCAADoublesDraw.pdf)

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Marand easily won the 1st set 6-1 over Widjaja. The powerful Marand was able to handle Widjaja's defense and picked her spots nicely to hit winners.

Widjaja is up a break 2-1 in the 2nd set. She made some adjustments like coming to the net more often and making Marand move up and down the court with short balls and lobs.

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The kind of blurry video freezes and when it goes back on Widjaja is down 2-3 WTH? :lol:

gouci
May 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Widjaja loses the 2nd set 4-6. Widjaja could have won that 2nd set easily if she could only hold her serve. Widjaja got broken 3 or 4 times in the 2nd set and fittingly ended the match with a doublefault. :sad:

This match was interesting to watch because it was a "spin" fest. Widjaja with her slices from both wings and Marand countering with her semi-moonballs. Except for the serve the ball was rarely hit flat. :lol:

gouci
May 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Cal Poly is down a break 1-3 in the 1st set. Serving is one of Cal Poly's strengths since Blalock and Matzenauer both have big serves while being the tallest team in the Big West with both listed at 5-10.

gouci
May 27th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I think the chair umpire just overruled a ball Cal Poly called out on duece. Cal Poly was serving to go up 5-3 in the second set but instead they got broken and it's tied 4-4. :fiery:

gouci
May 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Cal Poly goes up a mini break 1-0 in the 2nd set tie-breaker then Blalock just gives it right back with a doublefault. :help:

gouci
May 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Matz makes a great stab volley and Cal Poly goes up 5-2 in the tie-breaker. Looks like this is going 3 sets.

gouci
May 27th, 2010, 11:45 PM
- Cal Poly had the momentum going into the 3rd set by winning the tie-breaker. In addition Matz who may be the best server among the 4 on the court starts out serving the 1st game of set 3. Matz held her serve as expected and now Baylor has to play catchup.

- Unfortunately Blalock who's not helping herself with doublefaults got broken easily in game 3. :(

- Cal Poly breaks back in game 4 after Baylor doublefaults on break point. :lol:

- Cal Poly is up 5-3 with Matz serving for the match. :bounce:
Cal Poly was up 15-0 then loses the next 4 points on their serve. :sad:

- Cal Poly was in position to win with their best server serving for the match but instead ends up disappointing again in another big match. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Baylor comes back from 3-5 to win 7-5.

gouci
May 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
From the Cal Poly release.

Blalock, the first Mustang in program history to earn four All-Big West first team singles selections, retired as Cal Poly’s all-time singles victories leader :worship: with an 84-55 collegiate mark. The 2007 Big West Freshman of the Year selection, Blalock also captured all-conference first team doubles praise during each of her final three years.

Blalock & Matzenauer eliminated at NCAAs (http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=30011&article_id=96972)

Now will someone remove Shannon Brady from the top of Cal Poly's tennis website already. Brady graduated last year. :lol:

gouci
May 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Some thoughts about Cal Poly.

1. After Cal Poly was serving for the match at 5-3 but got broken there was a changeover. :help: This is where coaching plays a factor in my opinion. CP was still up 5-4 and good coaching can help push them over the top or at least stop the bleeding. But CP ended up losing the next 3 games and the match including having their serve broken again, back to back.

though with that talent CP should have won the league a couple times
2. I agree with this. In 2008-09 Cal Poly's trump card was Whitney Peterson, the best #3 singles player in the conference in my opinion. Each Big West match CP should have won the doubles point. Then with Blalock, Matz & Peterson, CP should have taken at least 2 of 3 in singles from the top 3 spots. That leaves CP with at least 3 points and only needing 1 from the bottom 3 to win. Plus with Steffi Wong, Maria Malec, Diane Filip and Shannon Brady, CP had the talent to pickup that one point somewhere. If Malec played like she did in the Fall or Wong played like she did as a sophomore instead of falling to the bench, CP wins the 2008-09 Big West title undeniably.

3. After the 2008-09 season with all the seniors coming back in 2009-10 I thought 1 more impact player could finally push Cal Poly over the top. That impact player didn't come by transfer. Although the CP coach to his credit has gotten some good transfers from BCS schools like Whitney Peterson from USC and Suzie Matzenauer from Northwestern. CP did get 2 minimal impact transfers for 2009-10 in Ashley Pane and Courtney Hull.

4. That Cal Poly impact player didn't come in 5 star freshman Alexa Lee. If Lee was only as good as other players she was ranked higher than like 4 star Sophia Novak of UCSB or 4 star Dahra Zamudio of UC Davis, than Cal Poly could have won the 2009-10 Big West title. Lee did play well at the BWT defeating LBS at #5 singles. I suspect Lee playing at home, she was from La Quinta down the street, helped Lee play well. But in Cal Poly fashion that upset by Lee was wasted by the favored in doubles Mustangs losing the doubles point.

Kevin.
May 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
wasnt Widjaja in the top 200?

gouci
Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
I saw the final rankings a few days ago and was waiting for Sunday to post about it. I wanted to spread out my posts. :lick:

As a reminder to myself I'm making a tentative posting schedule for the next 2 weeks.

Thu. = 11-12 recruiting, Big West News
Fri. = 17 year old freshman, 09-10 recruiting
Sat. = turned pro, 10-11 recruiting
Sun. = final rankings, Big West News

Mon. = MWC signee
Tue. = WCC signee
Wed. = attending Stanford, 10-11 recruiting
Thu. = 10-11 WTA ranking update
Fri. = 11-12 recruiting, 12-13 WTA ranking update
Sat. = 11-12 WTA ranking update
Sun. = turned pro WTA ranking update

Mon. = attending Boston
Tue. = turned pro

gouci
Jun 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Long Beach St.'s "stunning comeback" against UCI was a blessing in disguise for UCI. After that devastating lost UCI tried something new for the 1st time :tape: which eventually made a huge difference in beating LBS at the Big West Championships. :drool:

Maybe this new thing will become a secret weapon for UCI's continued success in the future. :lick:

gouci
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
With UCI baseball regionals, emergence of the Pac 16 and USC sanctions there's been so many things to follow I've had to put tennis on the back burner.

I was going to post that news about Bisharat on Monday along with another LMU signee. I caught wiff of this transfer months ago and we both know what incident set it in motion. Good luck to April. I hope playing #1 for her is going to be worth all the team losing she's going to have to suffer through.

gouci
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM
OK Gouci, Bisharat transferring to LMU

Hey Form since you had thoughts on Fresno St. and SMU do you have any thoughts on the LMU assistant coaches?

- In 2009 LMU's assistant coach was former Easter Bowl winner Amanda Ammerman (http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/ammerman_amanda00.html).
- Last season LMU's assistant coaches were Cintia Tortorella (http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/tortorella_cintia00.html) and Eric Basica. (http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/basica_eric00.html)

For a team that finished last in the WCC how does LMU get assistant coaches with impressive resumes? Not to mention also having a Team Manager and Director of Operations on staff.

I would guess one of LMU's selling points to a player who wants to turn pro is that their assistant coaches have the pro experience to better help her with that. Eric Basica has coached Maria Sharapova as well as being a hitting partner for Victoria Azarenka.

gouci
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Maybe CSUN will snag Sarah Cantlay. Rumor has it Cantlay has departed from the Long Beach St. tennis team. :lol:

Rumor also has it Amber Walker has a high interest in CSUN. :hehehe:

I thought CSUN only had Whitney Paluch's scholarship to fill? By the way looks like Paluch is using her 4th year of eligibility to play at Montana, probably as a grad student.

If CSUN is adding a walk-on 4 star Ekaterina Nikolova was already attending CSUN as a student. Nikolova won back to back CIF City Section individual singles titles in 12/06 & 12/07. But Nikolova is a long shot and instead the 2nd player is probably foreign. :shrug:

gouci
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Form no need for name calling, my post wasn't meant as an attack.

I'll even make it up to you by suggesting a 2011-12 recruit for Long Beach St. :kiss:

Michaela Meszarosova - Slovak Republic

Meszarosova had an ITF ranking high of 331. She's from the city of Bratislava in the Slovak Republic, the same place Klaudia Malenovska is from. So Malenovska can recruit her to Long Beach St. ;)

gouci
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm reposting this.

Hey Form Michelle Murphy played the Ventura CC Summer Circuit Event both singles and doubles. Do you know if Murphy will be playing for UCSB this upcoming season? :confused:

gouci
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Incoming players not listed under TRN Big West page

UCI - 4 star Brooke Schweyer
UCI - transfer Jennifer Sher (Hong Kong)
UCI - transfer 3 star Jordan Kimura?

UCSB - 4 star Kiersten Meehan
UCSB - 5 star Michelle Murphy coming back? :confused:

CSUN - 4 star Amber Walker
CSUN - mystery recruit?

CSF - 4 star Morgan McIntosh

Pacific - guessing Russian transfer? :tape: don't ask

gouci
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Cal Poly

Returning 2010-11

1. Alexa Lee - So.
2. Jocelyn Davis - Jr.
3. Amy Markhoff - Sr.
4. Ashley Pane - Sr.
5. Courtney Hull - RS Jr. (a walk-on?)

Incoming 2010-11

1. Jennifer Cornea - 5 star 56
2. Kathryn Webb - 4 star 82
3. Gabrielle Gatewood - 4 star 109
4. Florence Lehane - Belgium (still coming?)

5. M _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . . . . S _ _ _ _ _ (transferred in?)

Hey Form, indications are a foreign player has transferred to Cal Poly. I'll give you her initials as a hint! :kiss:

gouci
Jul 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
This transfer played number 3 & 4 singles for her last team which was ranked in the top 55. So if she plays for Cal Poly she could potentially be their new #1.

In my head I had Cal Poly 7th in conference next season. If she plays I better bump them up a few spots. :o

gouci
Jul 21st, 2010, 12:30 AM
Currently top 55 or once top 55? Hide and seek is lame....
This suspense is payback for you messing up my conference schedule thread. :happy:

gouci
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
My feeling was this transfer from the Middle East was going to take the place of Lehane from Belgium who I couldn't even find a good ranking for. Lehane has not been announced in a release yet.

Potential CP lineup
1. M. S.
2. Jennifer Cornea
3. Kathryn Webb
4. Alexa Lee
5. Jocelyn Davis

Now if Lehane still comes and plays above Lee then WOW big props to the Cal Poly coach. Four seniors graduated above Lee but if Lee is still playing #5 next season the CP coach managed to reload somehow. :worship:

Cal Poly will have depth but won't have top half of the lineup firepower to hang with LBS or UCI. UCSB, CP and Pacific are all fighting for that #3 finish to avoid the 1 seed in the semis.

gouci
Jul 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
When you're writing a post, scroll down to a box labeled "Show your signature" and uncheck it. Yours is still checked and thus showing your signature. Your signature is shown below the underline not above it. :lol:

Checking the doubles record of M.S. wow she mainly played #1 doubles. This Cal Poly transfer is looking better each time I exam it.

This last hint will clearly give her away. The conference M.S. last played for begins with the letter "C". :kiss:

gouci
Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
She sat out 2009-10. :happy:

To think Cal Poly would have definitely won the Big West if they had M.S. instead of Ashley Pane in 2009-10. :eek:

gouci
Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
There are like 4 different websites you can find M.S. on. Form I can't believe you haven't found her yet. :eek:

cause I went through 08/09 and 09/10 data base on ITA in both those conference... any team ranked as no Mfirstname Slastname
Your problem is you've been looking in the wrong place in the ITA database. :happy:

Ex. Use your method to find Hannah Grady's 2008-09 record in the ITA database. :haha:

That ITA database is full of holes. When a player leaves a team they delete her name from the roster and without a link to her name her record can't be extracted from the ITA database. Besides that database only has records for players that were on the 2009-10 rosters. Like I said she sat out and wasn't on the 2009-10 roster. Hint: How would you go about finding Hannah Grady in that database?

And forget looking on TRN, she's not listed under her old team there either. ;)

gouci
Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Which 6 ranked teams did you look up?

gouci
Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
It would take BP less time to plug the leak and clean up the spill then it would Form for you to find M.S. without my help. :crazy:

Since I revealed M.S. last played in 2008-09 and her team was ranked in the top 55 when she played, why are you still looking at the teams ranked in the top 60 at the end of 2009-10 instead of 2008-09???
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

gouci
Aug 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Form have you heard any rumors about the recruitment of Tiffany Tran of Laguna Niguel and Penn Foster online HS? She's had a few good wins and I wouldn't be surprised if a Big West or WCC team picks up Tran either this season or the next. She would be a great pick-up for a team like UC Riverside.

7/24/10 Cal Poly Pomona Summer Circuit

Tran lost to Ali Ramos (USC) 1-6,6-7
Tran def. 4 star 135 Kristen Yep (Concordia) 6-1,6-0
Tran def. 4 star 83 Jordan Brewer (Amherst)

5/28/10 Roy Emerson Open

Tran def. Jennifer Cornea (Cal Poly) 7-6,3-6,6-2

11/30/09 Anaheim Hills Open

Tran def. 5 star 30 Shayne Austin 6-4, 6-3

10/26/09 Raju Chhabria Open

Tran def. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) 7-5, 6-2

gouci
Aug 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM
McCall Jones abandoning ship and transferring from BYU to UCLA is a blow to UCI's 2010-11 schedule. With Jones, last season BYU was a ranked team that would have been great for UCI to play. Without Jones, this season BYU becomes an unranked team that won't help UCI's NCAA at-large chances. :fiery:

This reminds me of when Long Beach St. played N.C. St., but after N.C. St. over the summer had gone from a ranked top 40 team to a cupcake team starting 2 walk-ons. :help:

tigertennis
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:55 AM
True - BYU is going to be BAD

fantic
Aug 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Huntington Beach Open (http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=82836&E=2)

lots of BIG WEST players are playing, including Byron & Holladay of UCI.
'Guest' players are Walters of Pepp & Scott of Dartmouth (incidentally BOTH defeated Fansler of USC)

gouci
Aug 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM
How should I know? :shrug:

You were my source. :kiss:
I thought it was strange I didn't see any indications of Sher & Kimura coming to UCI. But I just took what you said to be true. :o

gouci
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well, Gouci who are UCI filling their two opens with?I checked around and only uncovered a potential walk-on with the initials A.P. :help:

But I did get whiff of some 2011 recruits considering UCI. :tape:
One is from the same city as the Eater alum you thought snacked too much. :lol:
Another is from the same country as UCI's last Big West POY.

gouci
Aug 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
1. The UCI budget has been getting crushed but I don't know if its from the budget cuts.
- The last AD left UCI 1.5 mil in the red over his tenure. Although UCI was 600K in the black last year under the new AD.
- UCI is about to raise tuition by $2,500 a year so that's another 300K+ athletics has to make up the difference

2. My impression is the UCI Chancellor doesn't like to attend games but he's pro athletics.
- Chancellor's dad graduated college on a sports scholarship. His son was a track athlete at Stanford. He knows the importance of college athletics.
- Chancellor met the President when he accompanied national champs men's volleyball to the White House. He knows how athletics can elevate a school's brand. There's always has a radio ad of the Chancellor supporting UCI athletics played during every basketball and baseball broadcast.
- Chancellor allowed the hiring of baseball coach Gillespie at twice Serrano's salary after Serrano left and UCI had no AD at the time.
- Chancellor helped men's volleyball coach Speraw get a house at University Hills to help keep him at UCI when Arizona St. women tried to poach him a few years ago.
- Heard Chancellor is on board will trying to relax some academic admission standards at UCI to help the new men's hoops coach with recruiting. UCI could of had players like UCR's Kyle Austin if not for the too high standards.

3. To be honest I'm following women's volleyball more closely than tennis right now. If you care for volleyball news UCI picked up a transfer from New Hampshire in Pauline Acres that's not listed on the UCI roster yet. Acres is a 6 foot OH who made America East all freshman team in 2008-09.

Come late Sept. when 2011 recruits start taking their official visits and early Oct. when the Riviera is played I'll start paying attention to UCI tennis again. ;)

gouci
Aug 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Huntington Beach Open

Tran def. 4 star Brianna Morgan 2-6,7-5,6-4

Tran def. 4 star Katheryn Webb (Cal Poly) 6-1,6-2 to win the tournament. :eek:

Maybe UCI should look at Tiffany Tran to play at #6 singles. :lol:

fantic
Aug 30th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Don't forget Byron/Holladay defeated Murphy/Scott to win the doubles. ;)

gouci
Aug 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Molly Scott played #1 doubles at Dartmouth and Michelle Murphy played #1 doubles at UCSB. But the fact Holladay/Byron crushed them 6-0,6-3 isn't surprising at all and this just proves Holladay is a doubles specialist. :worship:

Holladay is the better serving half of Holladay/Kwan who played #1 doubles for UCI to finish last season. ;)

gouci
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM
Hey fantic did you by chance watch the finals of the Huntington Beach Open and can provide a scouting report of Tiffany Tran?

gouci
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:08 AM
And beat NOBODY... pathetic attempt
Hey fantic have you ever seen the San Diego #1 doubles team of Juliette Coupez and Maja Sujica play?

They're a very good doubles team who defeated #44 ranked team of Kissell/Zaprazna of Marshall. They lost 7-9 to #30 Thongdach/ Megale of Boise St. and 7-9 to #70 Schnoy/Bergner of Denver.

Well UCI's Holladay/Kwan beat Coupez/Sujica so according to Form USD's #1 team must be NOBODY! :lol:

Form you look ridiculous trying to discredit Holladay as a doubles specialist after Holladay JUST WON A DOUBLES TOURNAMENT! :happy::happy:

fantic
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Hey fantic did you by chance watch the finals of the Huntington Beach Open and can provide a scouting report of Tiffany Tran?

I was tempted (actually for the doubles final :lol: ), but I passed, sorry ;)

fantic
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hey fantic have you ever seen the San Diego #1 doubles team of Juliette Coupez and Maja Sujica play?

They're a very good doubles team who defeated #44 ranked team of Kissell/Zaprazna of Marshall. They lost 7-9 to #30 Thongdach/ Megale of Boise St. and 7-9 to #70 Schnoy/Bergner of Denver.

Well UCI's Holladay/Kwan beat Coupez/Sujica so according to Form USD's #1 team must be NOBODY! :lol:

Form you look ridiculous trying to discredit Holladay as a doubles specialist after Holladay JUST WON A DOUBLES TOURNAMENT! :happy::happy:

Yes I've seen them, but I was more impressed with Coupez in singles :lol: actually she's one of my favorites ;)

gouci
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
So who does UCI have coming in for Bisharat ...
BREAKING NEWS!

I've confirmed from a source UCI's newest player for 2010-11 is a freshman from Germany.

Form for bad mouthing Hannah Holladay you only get a hint. :kiss:

F _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (1st name)

_ _ e _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (last name)

gouci
Sep 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Her nickname is "Mucki" so that's what I'll call her for now.

I just watched Mucki's recruiting video and she hits a forehand with too much topspin for my liking but has a solid backhand. She has nice volleys and a good 1st serve making her at least another doubles specialist. :lol:

German recruits make me real nervous. They might turn out to be a bust like Long Beach St.'s Denise Liebschner and Lisa Haegele. :happy:

But taking a quick look at her junior record she has a win over a UNLV top of the line-up player and a win over a current Nebraska starter. :worship: That's all the opponents I recognized.

P.S.
Mucki lost to a former Miami player in 3 sets. I looked at her doubles record and she has a doubles win over several blue chip caliber players including a win over a USA team made up of 2 blue chip players! :eek:

P.P.S.
I should check if UCI also brought in Mucki's German doubles partner who had a WTA singles ranking high of 420. :eek:

tennisbuddy12
Sep 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to figure this out. Guessing Bisharat last year was easy

gouci
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
This UCI player from Germany has forced me to learn about the German Tennis Federation rankings which is written in German. :help:

- A German to English translation website was invaluable. :worship:

Rangliste = rankings
Damen = women
Datum = date

That's all I pretty much needed to know to find the current and past German rankings! :lol:

- Some interesting notes I found. Mucki is from the club TC Schoenberg, the same club as Hawaii's former #1 Ellen Linsenbolz.

- Mucki's Under 21 ranking was about the same as Nebraska's #5 singles Janine Weinreich. Weinreich defeated Long Beach St.'s Sarah Cantlay last season.

- Mucki's highest Under 21 ranking was better than the highest ranking of both Pacific's #3 singles Julia Hansen and #2 singles Christina Goehl. That's encouraging. Now it's more clear why UCI is taking a chance on her.

- Germany Under 18 girls ranking for 10/2007

13. Marlen Mesgarzadeh - #2 William & Mary
14. Julia Wais - #2 San Diego St.
22. Mucki - UC Irvine freshman
23. Julia Hansen - #3 Pacific
27. Frederike Putthoff - Nebraska freshman
38. Maike Zeppernick - Nebraska freshman
42. Laura Claus - #2 San Diego
43. Janine Weinreich - #5 Nebraska
53. Carla Lindlar - #6 Baylor
81. Maria Pistalu - #6 CS Northridge