PDA

View Full Version : Will & Gareth set for Number 1

shirley
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:16 PM
source:Worldpop.com

The race for this week's No 1 single looks like a three horse race with Pop Idols Will and Gareth currently battling Oasis and Canadian newcomer Avril Lavigne for the top spot.

According to sales research carried out by worldpop at HMV stores across the country, Will and Gareth's cover of The Beatles' Long and Winding Road is ahead of Oasis' new single Little By Little in the sales race with 17-year-old Canadian singer Avril Lavigne bringing up the rear with her new single, Complicated.

Meanwhile on the album chart Elvis Presley is on course to score yet another No 1 with his latest compilation of greatest hits. Elvis: 30 No 1 hits looks sure to top the albuim charts this week with stores reporting great early demand for the CD - a complete collection of Elvis' 30 UK and US No 1's. The CD features all the No 1's from 1956 to 1977. The album includes the recent No 1, the JXL remix of A Little Less Conversation. Infact it could be a vague double for the King this week if Gareth Gates' version of Suspicious Minds (the double A side to Long & Winding Road) also hits the top.

A spokesman for Elvis' record company, BMG said: 'This proves just how important Elvis is to every generation of pop fan. His enduring appeal makes Elvis the greatest music icon of all time.'

MrV
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:19 PM
yawn :rolleyes:

Princess Fiona
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Ohhhh...

*major sigh*

Get AWAY from them, Mr. Young!! :sad: ;)

kazbeee
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
why do they have to do another cover version Its so boring

MrV
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:38 PM
I used to love 'Suspicious minds' until i heard Gareths version :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: .....he should have stuck to doing his paper rounds :mad:

BritneySpearsIsHot
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:48 PM
What a shock!

AmErIcAn
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Will Young oh I heard him on American Idol...

Not impressed :rolleyes:

Evey
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Ach not yet another cover :rolleyes: I'm really starting to get fed up with the amount of covers these so-called 'Pop Idols' do. I hope Avril Lavigne gets to number 1 but i think thats doubtful.

YSL
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Nah, it'll be Will and Gareth who will be #1 this week.. It's *SO* predicatable now.. *sigh*

I can remember when the charts used to be interesting..

Dirty Sanchez
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Really, YSL? I don't............ :(

AjdeNate!
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Not the best cover I've ever heard - but hey it's pop & 100% marketable. So, no surprise. I do like Will a lot, so I'm glad he's getting another #1.

AmErIcAn: His singing on American Idol was not very good at all. You should download some of his songs if you're interested in hearing him how he really sounds. I mean, didn't Kelly Clarkson even sound awful that night? I think the acoustics in that damn Kodak Theatre are dreadful.

Luna_Angel_84
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Well at least it doesn't sound like they are racing away to the number one spot, right? Perhaps in about 10 years time we'll finally see the back of both of them. :rolleyes:

BritneySpearsIsHot
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:39 PM
10 years! 10 seconds please! No offence to either but...........pffffffffffff.....................

Las Ketchup will knock em off the next week )

Luna_Angel_84
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Anything would be preferable. Esp. since the red.dark brown haired one is kinda cute. ;)

vancouverite
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:52 AM
YES to Will Young! I know, I know...another (yawn) cover, but any chance to hear that man sing is one I'll take!

Seles, you're so right about that Kodak Theatre! AmErIcAn, Will's not a 'belter' or 'screamer', so it's tough to get a good sense of his voice on one hearing (or two, particularly surrounded by the hoopla of 'American Idol' and his nervousness at performing in such a venue).

Please, PLEASE let his debut album convince the 'suits' that covers do NOT a career make!

Beat
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:48 AM
these days, the only way for vacuous popstars to prolong their 15 minutes of fame are cover versions. go away, you fools.

vancouverite
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:58 AM
...and the only way for thoughtless commentators on pop culture/music to make their mark is to take sarcastic cheap shots...go away yourself:rolleyes:

King Aaron
Sep 25th, 2002, 11:12 AM
:rolleyes:

LittleTennisFan
Sep 25th, 2002, 06:08 PM
:rolleyes: Big shock ... not!

Would be great if Avril Lavigne was Number 1, never going to happen though.

Nicoleke
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Go to April Lavigne :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!

However, I really do like " The long and winding road " :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

BritneySpearsIsHot
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Go Oasis!

Mazza
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Blahhhhhh!! It's a crap song! But I have to admit..... I like Will! :o :o :D :p

But ughhhhh!! Gareth Gates!! :o ughhh!! I just wanna throw an egg or something at him to SHUT HIM UP!!!

But Go Avril!! She rocks! and Let Go is a great Album! :D

Princess Fiona
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:56 PM
I like Will Young, too!! :o :eek: I could listen to his voice for hours - it has such a rich, creamy quality! I just hate the material he's given by the record company people... I think he deserves sooo much better...