PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Users - Come in please!

Jetta
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
I just got Windows XP (hehehe) today, and I was just wondering, my fellow XP users, how long you have been using XP and what do you think of it. Do you like it or not? What's a problem on XP? etc. Thanks for your input! :)

BasicTennis
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:34 AM
5 months I guess and besides having more features, I couldn't feel much difference from the last version (Windows 2000). I love it though and I haven't encountered any major problems so far.:)

irma
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:39 AM
9 months and now I am used to it but it took 5 months or so.

the only good thing is that it takes less time to start up since it skips dos!

Kiwi_Boy
Sep 24th, 2002, 08:41 AM
only about a month~its great! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Had it for 5 months as well
pretty good so far, no major cock-ups yet ;)

King Aaron
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
6-7 months not much problems

SM
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:36 AM
about 4 months, sinc ei got my new comp...

i love it...i use media player to play my dvds, my dvd rips(DivX), to burn my cds, play my home videos etc! it integrates everything...and XP is so dayam fast :)!! the only problem is that some software isnt compatible with Xp seeing its so new and most software was based on earlier versions of windows.

The Vampiress
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Go it last month, it's a good investment to buy into Alexis;)
Far more easy and accessible to use and plus shortcuts make it alot shorter. ;)

Have fun with it:)

bubble
Sep 24th, 2002, 03:55 PM
I had it for 7 months too.
It's has been smooth sailing and easy to use so far... :)

Mazza
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Im not sure how long I've had it but I've had it since they first brought it out, and I must say it's great and really easy to use!! :D

Maajken
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Ive had it for about 2 months now and i think its great :D

Jetta
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Thank you, everyone. :)

So far, XP is a whole lot faster for browsing on the net, and also the graphics improved dramatically. This really is better than Windows 98. Thanks again for your input guys. :wavey:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:10 PM
are you dissing my Windows 98? :p *getting new windows* *can't handle Allie mocking me*

YSL
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Had since it came out - Never had any probs with it :)

Scott Storm
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Had it about 6 months a few problems with software compatability but nothing major.

veryborednow
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:53 PM
i hate it.... too cartoony, and none of the programs compact so loads of dumb pop ups pop up all the time :fiery:

Luna_Angel_84
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Had it less than a month and so far have been impressed. Mind you, that's not saying much since my last computer was a slightly busticated Windows 95 hunk of junk. My only issue is the fact that some of my older software can't be used on it. *sob* :sad:

Fingon
Sep 24th, 2002, 11:42 PM
about 4 months, I used to have crappy Windows ME so I found XP fantastic :eek:

There isn't a big difference with Windows 2000 except some new features.

It is hardly recommended that you keep it up-to-date, by visiting the Microsoft Windows update regularly. Select what updates to install but always install the critical updates.

Any questions, ask :D

lemon
Sep 24th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by veryborednow
i hate it.... too cartoony, and none of the programs compact so loads of dumb pop ups pop up all the time :fiery:
lmao:D
:o I've never used XP... I have a mac, and a Linux machine at home, and a Win ME @ school

Fingon
Sep 24th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by SM
about 4 months, sinc ei got my new comp...

i love it...i use media player to play my dvds, my dvd rips(DivX), to burn my cds, play my home videos etc! it integrates everything...and XP is so dayam fast :)!! the only problem is that some software isnt compatible with Xp seeing its so new and most software was based on earlier versions of windows.

About software compatibility, there are 3 types of software in relation with Windows XP

1) Software not compatible, that means that software may or may not run and you could experience certain problems. Windows have an option to run certain software in "compatibility mode" that means it runs the software as it was an earlier version, that's of course far from perfect. Microsoft periodically release software compatibility updates so it's a good idea to check Windows update often.

Notice that compatibility patches are not critical updates and they won't be downloaded automatically, you have to get them.

2) Software compatible, it runs ok, but doesn't take full advantage of Windows XP features.

3) Software designed for Windows XP.

SM
Sep 25th, 2002, 01:11 AM
I HAVE SOO MANY UPDATES TO DOWNload! :(...i just cant be bothered...does it actually have much impact on performance cos if its just superficial changes ill just keep choosing the option to postpone it ;)!

Fingon
Sep 25th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by SM
I HAVE SOO MANY UPDATES TO DOWNload! :(...i just cant be bothered...does it actually have much impact on performance cos if its just superficial changes ill just keep choosing the option to postpone it ;)!

It does have impact in several issues, specially security but some other issues, like system stability, performance, compatibility, etc.

If you download the service pack you will get most of the updates you need, some of them are not really necessary like the .net framework

Robbie.
Sep 25th, 2002, 03:57 AM
i have had it since March on my PC and its cool.

I have Windows ME (2000) on my laptop so it is easy for me to compare as I am using both the systems simultaneously.

Honestly, ther isn't a whole lot of difference pragmatically, but XP is easier on the eye ;)

Jetta
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:29 AM
yeah I like the XP colors.........but when I try to install it on my touchscreen computer, the touchscreen doesn't work. Damn incompatibility. :o

RYNJ
Sep 25th, 2002, 04:58 AM
I have Windows 95, HAHAHAHA

Fingon
Sep 25th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by tennisaddict.
i have had it since March on my PC and its cool.

I have Windows ME (2000) on my laptop so it is easy for me to compare as I am using both the systems simultaneously.

Honestly, ther isn't a whole lot of difference pragmatically, but XP is easier on the eye ;)

There is a huge difference, ME is built on the Windows 95 Kernel while XP is based on NT, 32 bits. In terms of stability and security there is a huge difference.

As an example, Windows XP, like NT and 2000 can use the NTFS file system while ME can use only fat32 or fat16.

The users management is very different, specially in the Proffessional edition, networking capabilities, remote management, IIS, active directory, etc.

Windows XP has a built in firewall, cd burning software, the list is endless.

EVAspeed
Sep 25th, 2002, 05:27 AM
i didn't know you had win98...

so yeah... i guess XP is faster...

i have windows 2000 w/ NT technology...

it's faster than win XP...

that's why i won't put XP on my computer... :wavey:

Robbie.
Sep 25th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Fingon

There is a huge difference, ME is built on the Windows 95 Kernel while XP is based on NT, 32 bits. In terms of stability and security there is a huge difference.

As an example, Windows XP, like NT and 2000 can use the NTFS file system while ME can use only fat32 or fat16.

The users management is very different, specially in the Proffessional edition, networking capabilities, remote management, IIS, active directory, etc.

Windows XP has a built in firewall, cd burning software, the list is endless.

Thank you fingon, for making me look totally computer illiterate ;)

I probably don't take full advantage of all the functions of XP, but for what I use it for - net access, word processing, use of other office softwares I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference for the user. Thats all I was saying :)

köj-è
Sep 25th, 2002, 10:45 AM
about 3 months

it's great!!!!!!!

bee
Sep 25th, 2002, 01:06 PM
about one week only... :) :) changed from Windows NT... the look is just different... but pretty much the same.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 25th, 2002, 05:58 PM
ok, as some of you may no - i'm not very good with computers... :o

ok.. here i go... I get those Windows update thingys every month or something.. but i've never paid attention to it... is that not very smart? :o omg.. and my comp has been acting REALLY weird lately:o :sad: