PDA

View Full Version : Miss Universe stripped of title, replaced by runner-up

Jetta
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:29 PM
Miss Universe Fired, to Be Replaced by Runner-Up
Mon Sep 23, 5:28 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Miss Universe ( news - web sites) pageant officials have "fired" the reigning Miss Universe, Russia's Oxana Fedorova, and will replace her with Miss Panama, the runner-up, a spokeswoman for the pageant said on Monday.

Fedorova, who was crowned in May, has returned to Russia and will be replaced by runner-up Justine Pasek of Panama, the spokeswoman said. It was the first time in the pageant's 52-year history that a Miss Universe has been stripped of her title.

The spokeswoman declined to elaborate on the reasons for the change but a source close to the matter said that Fedorova had failed to carry out the responsibilities of Miss Universe.

"Basically she was fired for not fulfilling her duties," the source said. "It's just like if you have a job to do. If you don't do your job you can get fired."

Organizers of the pageant, which is co-owned by New York real estate mogul Donald Trump and was held this year on May 29 in Puerto Rico, scheduled a press conference for Tuesday in New York to announce the switch.

According to a statement announcing the press conference Pasek, who was the "crowd favorite" during the pageant, will serve out the remaining nine months as Miss Universe.

The New York Post newspaper reported in its online editions that Fedorova was expected to travel extensively and make personal appearances as part of her reign.

The Post said she refused to take part in a number of those assignments, including the 2002 Miss Teen USA Competition.

Oasiatic
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:37 PM
How sad! :sad: I rooted for Miss Russia to win the crown! However she deserves what she got if indeed she failed to carry out her obligations.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
Get back to me when an overweight, acne prone women with a beautiful mind wins one of these and I might actually give half an ass ;)

angele87
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:47 PM
Well these pageants are joke to begin with and I was just LMAO when I heard that Miss Universe was fired :o

Hawk
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by angele87
Well these pageants are joke to begin with and I was just LMAO when I heard that Miss Universe was fired :o
I second that... I'm sure she's thrilled to be the first ever pageant winner to be fired lol

Crazy Canuck
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:49 PM
Not only are they a joke, they are so politically incorrect, and feed of gender stereotypes that it is appalling.

Oasiatic
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:11 PM
Ditto Rebecca. Its also so obvious that the pageant has political undertones. Look at the five finalists....

Cassius
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:34 PM
Not only are they a joke, they are so politically incorrect, and feed of gender stereotypes that it is appalling.
Is this another one of those "It's soooo degrading to judge these women on their looks" speeches?
Whatever:rolleyes:
Those women entered the Miss Universe comp. because they WANTED to be judged. They WANTED to be judged the best. If they didn't want to be judged and if they thought it was degrading to women in any way, then they wouldn't have ENTERED the comp in the first place.

the cat
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:34 PM
That's terrible! :mad: Here's a woman who is a Policeman and a Lawyer, and who has made her life education and public service, and she gets treated this way? She was the best Miss Universe ever! :D No one ever brought that crown so much attention and intelligence as Oxana Fedorova did! :) It's a damn shame they fired her. The Miss Universe committee has tainted their own event by doing this. I fully expected to hear that she was stripped of her title because she was married or because she appeared on the Howard Stern show and made a fool of herself talking about silly things that no Miss Universe should have to put up with.

But she should have done better with fullflling her committments.

Is the runner up really ever going to feel like Miss Universe? Nyet!

The Russian fans are going to be upset by this! :(

Maybe Becca's right, and all of these pageants are a waste of time and set the wrong example.

DutchieGirl
Sep 24th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Cassius

Is this another one of those "It's soooo degrading to judge these women on their looks" speeches?
Whatever:rolleyes:
Those women entered the Miss Universe comp. because they WANTED to be judged. They WANTED to be judged the best. If they didn't want to be judged and if they thought it was degrading to women in any way, then they wouldn't have ENTERED the comp in the first place.

it might not be degrading to THEM, but what about all the other women who can't enter comps like that who feel degraded by it? Typical males! :rolleyes: :p

CC
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Wow, she got fired from her job after just three months.:p

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:31 AM
I have no problem with the women who enter them. That is their choice, which they should be allowed to make.

But I have no respect for the choices of the judges, as I find the competition lame for the reasons that I mentioned.

It was not a "speech" so don't make yourself dizzy with the eyerolling :p

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Stripped of title? That's too harsh of a punishment. Could they just have her stripped instead?

King Aaron
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ys
Stripped of title? That's too harsh of a punishment. Could they just have her stripped instead?

lol!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM
lol@ys :D
i don't care for these beauty pageants anyway

the only duty she wasn't fulfilling : she wasn't satisfying my needs so she had to go ;)

Nimi
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Errr.. That sounds weird. But i do agree with ys ;)

bubble
Sep 24th, 2002, 10:58 AM
In an interview Monday on RTR state television in Russia, Fedorova, who is in Moscow, denied she was fired, saying she gave up the title herself.

"When I went to this contest, I had no idea about it, and nobody explained to me what it would be like and what consequences this contest would have," Fedorova said in the interview on RTR state television.

"The duties of a world beauty are wonderful. However, my prime goal is my studies and career in Russia," said Fedorova, who is pursuing a graduate degree in civil law at St. Petersburg's Police Academy.

"I know I will remain Miss Universe for Russian citizens and for myself," she said.

Addressing what the network said were rumors that she had secretly been married and was pregnant, Fedorova said, "It's wonderful, I want a family, I love family, but it is a dream for me. I was never married, I have not had children. I hope that this dream will come true in the future."

___

This is really strange but I like her reply.... ;)

köj-è
Sep 24th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Oh God.... :eek: unbelievable!!

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:28 PM
What is worse? Being stripped of the title for basically being lazy (as is implied here) or because raunchy, explicit, nude pictures of you and another woman show up on the cover of Penthouse like Vanessa Williams?

Toss up!

Harju.
Sep 24th, 2002, 01:20 PM
WHAT!! :fiery:
She's such a hottie :kiss:

Darn!!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Sep 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
One of the main duties of Miss Universe is that you HAVE to live in New York City, along with the reigning Miss USA.

All contestants sign contracts before the event, in case they win.

Miss Russia did not want to live in NYC, so she gave it up. I admire her.

However, these pageants are not a joke.....it is insulting to say so to the millions of girls who participate in them every year. Albeit it is a small level, these pageants to bring a certain element of unity among the world, despite how much you agree or disagree with it.

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Hell, I got my start doing beauty pageants, they are events that can help you gain confidence and poise and you can get scholarship money. They are nice programs, I think the people who are against them either know nothing about them or know they would not be competitive candidates and are just jealous.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 24th, 2002, 03:00 PM
i don't blame her for not wanting to live in NYC
surely they could have chosen a more glamorous location ;)

my bedroom would have done ;)

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:14 PM
When I see beauty pageants, somehow they remind me horses. Beautiful horses, with well-shaped nice butts, who are just looking for a nice rider to be on top of them. I can't perceive them as live people. I really can't. No person with normal mentality would do that. To willingly contest whose butt looks better, that is.

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:26 PM
If you have a nice "butt" and you can land some acting jobs and get some experience or scholarship money, what is the problem? Before mine "butt" went South, I had a nice one. Use what you can in the acting world.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 05:56 PM
However, these pageants are not a joke.....it is insulting to say so to the millions of girls who participate in them every year. Albeit it is a small level, these pageants to bring a certain element of unity among the world, despite how much you agree or disagree with it.

I'm entitled to my opinion, much like you are yours :p
I don't have a problem with anyone who is in the pagents, but I think the criteria of them is a joke - it has changed little since the 1950's :p

I am well aware of the money involved in those things, and the benefits they bring to the women who compete. And good for them.

Not my cup of tea.

If it makes you people feel better to assume that I'm jealous :rolleyes: (because you can't take issue against anything around here without being envious you know), and that i'm a stupid, ugly beast - then whatever makes you sleep at night :cool:

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:12 PM
If you have a nice "butt" and you can land some acting jobs and get some experience or scholarship money, what is the problem? Before mine "butt" went South, I had a nice one. Use what you can in the acting world.

Not really.. "Use what you can".. It is up to one's morality. People can steal, kill, lie, cheat, forge, etc and it also would earn some. This *is* useless. It does not enrich your society. It is like Gerry Springer, or Howard Stern, or Playboy. No difference. There is a demand for this kind of stuff from sick people ( who are plenty ), but your society would not lose anything, and would only get better if all this would not exist.

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Doing a beauty pageant is hardly akin to stealing, lying, killing, cheating, or forging. It is perfectly legal and I usually had fun with it, though I never did too well. I did it more for the experience with stage, but it was no worse than doing a play or something. It is certainly not volunteering for the Peace Corps but it is relatively harmless with many benefits for the participants.

I am not saying anyone is ugly but I have never seen a really attractive woman trash beauty pageants, that's all.

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:33 PM
I am not saying anyone is ugly but I have never seen a really attractive woman trash beauty pageants, that's all.

That's not a point. Do you think the attractive women is a target audience of beauty pageants? I think that audience is attractive stupid women, fashion junkies and all those useless people that like shows/run shows/Hollywood/etc.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Agree with ys.

I don't critisize you for doing them, I only critisize the concept behind them. Which I think is very very 1950's and before. If someone would like to use their body to get what they want in life, that is their choice. Women have been doing it for ages, I'm not about to knock it.

And I could care less if "internet pepes" call me ugly ;) I know more about myself and body then they ever will :p

But the fact that you have only seen unattractive women bitch about them must just be coincidence. My freinds and I all generally feel the same way, and we aren't an ugly group of people at least check ;)

Unless not fitting the 5'11, 120, D cup boobed frame, is the statutde on beauty...

In which case, guilty as charged ;)

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Of course it is the point. The people I know who come out against pageants either do not know anything about them or understand them, or seem bitter they are not pretty enough to compete or bitter at the world for being bad looking. This is simply my experience. I am far from beautiful but I was good enough to be able to compete in many for the reasons stated above. It is not just the face, it is legs, butt, chest, and personality also.

My days of pageants were a little different but many of the girls graduated from college. Generally "stupid" people do not make it through college, and I do not mean some dipsy doodle bullshit college, I mean top ranked national colleges and universities. Some of the women were kind of dense also but it is false that women in pageants are idiots or fashion junkies. Attractive women are not the target, it is those who wish to watch attractive women.

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:52 PM
"Using your body" makes it sound like I had to have sex for money. It is not like that. How is being in a beauty pageant any different than a fashion model? Hey, I liked it and it gave me what I needed. It did not make me bulemic, anorexic (nothing like that existed when I was young), depressed, or give me fifty thousand other things I can blame my life's failures on. It was a way to get some stage experience and a chance for scholarship money that I needed. It was fun. I rarely did well but it gave me what I needed. If people hate them then they should not watch.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Personally I haven't stated that women in those pagents are stupid ;)

In fact the few times I've seen one, I usually hear they have 4.0 averages, and are headed to law school or something :) Impressive stuff, for sure.

There are some people who assume all the women are stupid and ditzy (though some do act like they have two brain cells...not sure if they are trying to be "cute" or what?), but that is usually due to ignorance, like you already stated.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Helen Lawson
"Using your body" makes it sound like I had to have sex for money. It is not like that. How is being in a beauty pageant any different than a fashion model? Hey, I liked it and it gave me what I needed. It did not make me bulemic, anorexic (nothing like that existed when I was young), depressed, or give me fifty thousand other things I can blame my life's failures on. It was a way to get some stage experience and a chance for scholarship money that I needed. It was fun. I rarely did well but it gave me what I needed. If people hate them then they should not watch.

I do hope that you are not misunderstanding me (if you are indeed speaking at me, if this was to someone else, then appologies)...

I have yet to attack the women who go in these pagents. I have no reason to, I don't know them.

They should have the option to do as they please.

I merely don't like the basis of these pagents and the message that I feel they project.

That has nothing to do with the women who enter them.

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 06:57 PM
I mean top ranked national colleges and universities.

And? Half of NBA played for US universities ( and then, studied there). Does it say something about their intellectuality?

Attractive women are not the target, it is those who wish to watch attractive women.

And? Who would wish to watch them? One may want to be with attractive woman. But watching them for hours swinging their butts left and right? What is it? Entertainment? Art? What? What kind of people would want to watch them? I just grew up and live in the environment where showing even a slightest interest in this kind of stuff would instantly label you as headless low class and rightfully so.

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Many NBA players are (a) not as stupid as you seem to think; and (b) got in simply on their basketball skills, not on much else, and may not have graduated. Girls do not get into colleges based on participating in beauty pageants and most of the ones I know who went to college actually graduated. It seems we are operating on more than just one stereotype here. Have you ever watched one? It is not hours of swinging butts unless the person watching wants to make it into that.

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:10 PM
I've been living in South Africa for few years, and watched Ms Universe in Sun City a couple of times out of boredom. I can't even think of what can be interesting about that. Ordinary TV shows are destined for very retarded audience. This is even more primitive than TV shows.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:14 PM
It is not hours of swinging butts unless the person watching wants to make it into that.

I have watched them before, and I realize it isn't like this. Many of the women are well spoken (some don't show it), intelligent, opinionated individuals.

However, I have not met one man who watches them, who gives a rats ass about any of that.

They watch to see butts swinging for hours lmao

ys
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:17 PM
As one of my friend said, to watch and enjoy it, you have to be quite cynical. People with a lot of cynicism often like it. People who have very little or none of it at all ( like myself ) can't stand it..

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Or you can be just like me and be naieve and appreciate it for what the attempts of it are :angel:

AmErIcAn
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM
I must say I think its great for the men and women who find the women incredibly sexy and like the umm..swimsuit bit, but overall

i think its putting pressure on young girls to be perfect. Its demoralising to women they sre seen as sex objects if its only there 'personality, intelligence kindness' that matters why parade around in swimwear?

Helen Lawson
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Swimsuit counts the least in most pageants now. I do not even think it remains for teen pageants. Before it used to count a lot more, which was good for me because I looked good in a suit. It is for people who are pretty on the inside and on the outside. If it was sex object stuff, then there would only be swimsuit. There is gown, questions, and talent. All this "sex object" stuff is a load of crap. Women have been sex objects since the beginning of time.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 25th, 2002, 12:34 AM
And it is up to them wether or not they wish to continue to be seen as little more than a sex objects..

Some of us would like things to be different.

selesfan1
Sep 25th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Some dumb women really do enter these events like Miss Belgium who was asked who was her hero and she said Julia Roberts because she's a good actress.

But anyway the Miss Universe Pageant really is important to a lot of countries like Venezuela. The day of the Liss Venezuela pageatn it is almost like a national Holiday there and almost all of them go on to becone national icons. like Maite Delgado,Verushka Ramirez,Alicia Machado,Barbara Palacios,Irene Sanz, etc. In mexico it is also very important it is like the olympics. The pageatn lost some credibility to me when Donald trup took over it. The stupid football coach who hosted it was proof of that.

but in my opinion Vaness Carriera of South Africa or Cynthia Lander Zamora of Venezueka should have won. Good job justine although you hair looked better before than it does now.

:) Watch the miss Venezuela pageant 2002 Sunday at 7PM eastern time on Univision.:)

Mercury Rising
Sep 25th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by selesfan1
Some dumb women really do enter these events like Miss Belgium who was asked who was her hero and she said Julia Roberts because she's a good actress.

Miss Belgium of what year was that? The one of this year is a very smart girl.

Shane54
Sep 26th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Beauty pageants are just another competition. And as a gay man, I enjoy them. Why should the women be "acne prone and overweight" There are stupid ones like that too. As for Federova, she was beautiful was a member of the police force and was pursuing her PhD. Sounds like alot of people on these boards are jealous. JUST REMEMBER: Beauty maybe only skin deep, BUT UGLY goes all the way to the BONE!!!

Crazy Canuck
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Shane54
Beauty pageants are just another competition. And as a gay man, I enjoy them. Why should the women be "acne prone and overweight" There are stupid ones like that too. As for Federova, she was beautiful was a member of the police force and was pursuing her PhD. Sounds like alot of people on these boards are jealous. JUST REMEMBER: Beauty maybe only skin deep, BUT UGLY goes all the way to the BONE!!!

The 'acne prone and overwieght comment' was not intended to be taken literally.

I place very little - if any- value on outer beauty.

Just because we regard the competition in a different manner is no reason to slew insults at me.

And this "you don't like something so you must be jealous" tag, is getting a tad tiresome.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 26th, 2002, 05:44 AM
I place very little - if any- value on outer beauty.

Let me elaborate on this...

If someone tells me that they find me good looking, I give a *blink* response. I politely say thankyou. However, I feel no ego boost. I don't get all warm and fuzzy inside. Ziltch. No feeling on the matter whatsoever.

If someone tells me they think that I'm witty, then I am flattered.

Physical beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. With time it fades. Personality only becomes more beautiful.

Perhaps these views effect how I feel about pagents and such. I simply do not understand them. I can't fathom wanting people to look at me and think "wow she is beautful". I want people to KNOW me, and think that.

Shane54
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Hey Rebecca. It's all good! Just remember Rebecca we may not agree on pageants but I am totally on your side when you defend Jennifer against those haters! LOL ;)
Jennifer rocks!

Crazy Canuck
Sep 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Ah yes, us Jenn fans shouldn't be arguing with each other :sad:

All 6 of us need to ban together :D

;)

rah rah *dances*