PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Allez Aravane cheering thread!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Stevecw
May 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Great to follow up such a big win with another good display & victory! :)

Next round should be interesting, Petkovic will be difficult... but its time for payback!! :) :devil:

Paris75
May 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Well done Aravane! Didn't expect her to do well here. Petkovic is a good player, the serve will be even more important! Just try your best and enjoy Aravane :)

Kipling
May 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Aravane vs. Petkovic 1730 local time in Madrid. Hopefully someone can record this from Eurosport!

Allez, Aravane! You can do it! This is a big opportunity with the draw opening up. Just focus on Petkovic for now!

Drine
May 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Aravane def. Petkovic 6-4 7-6 :worship:
Sweet revenge :devil:

Kipling
May 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Great job! From what I heard it was an awesome match, well played by both! That's great to see! And even better--tomorrow our Madrid coverage starts so with luck I get to see her on TV!!!!!!!

Iceland
May 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hope you'll be able to find some highlights of the match because it was really entertaining!
Congrats to Aravane, she showed a huge fighting spirit to overcome Andrea's determination. Well done!
Strasbourg's points are now defended :)

Stevecw
May 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Yep great win, and even though I only saw 2nd set I still have to count it as one of the most exciting matches of the year. Had a bit of everything really..especially that mad tie-break!

Of course best of all Aravane winning :yeah:

Lets hope she keeps the run going! :)

Drine
May 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Aravane's playing at 8pm on the ASV court ;)
Good luck Aravane :worship:

ptitnavet
May 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Please Aravane beat Jankobitch :devil:

améliemomo
May 13th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Omg what a battle aravane!no one wanted to give up the fight,that was just SUPERBE:worship::eek:

So happy for aravane who looked so happy at the end,Andrea is a sweet girl even though I was cheering big against her in that second set,especially the tie break:drool::devil:

jankovic,she's quite impressive imo but I think she doesnt like powerful players the like of ivanovic.
Aravane wil have to play the "right game" that is to say, powerful but consistent at the same time.AND her serve will be VERY important

ALLEZ ARAVANE!:bounce:

Bероника
May 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
So happy for the great tournament of Aravane so far :D that would be even better if she can defeat Jankovic.Allez!!!!!!

I felt a bit bad for Andrea that I met in Madrid and was super nice with me :hug: But this time it was Aravane's time.Sorry Andrea.

Paris75
May 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Massive win for Aravane! That was a very entertaining match, she stayed focus all over the match. Petkovic's game is also very enjoyable, but all credits to Aravane who was surprisingly concentrated and played some fabulous points during key moments! Well done, and good luck against Jankovic!

Sor.ana
May 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Great win against Andrea !!
She'll need a lot a luck against JJ but I'm pretty sure she can win this match !

Kipling
May 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Yes!!!! Aravane wins against JJ in 2 sets! 7-5 6-4! Into the semis!!!!!

Bероника
May 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
She played fantastic today! :worship:

Bravo Aravane :yeah:

Against Safarova in SFs

Drine
May 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Great win for Aravane :worship: and she has all her chaces against Safarova ;)
Keep it up Aravane :bounce:

améliemomo
May 14th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Oh Mon Dieu Aravane beat jankovic finally!:hearts::hearts::D

so proud and happy about that win.I want more so please aravane beat safarova and qualify for the finale!

Allez!:bounce:

Stevecw
May 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
So great!! :woohoo:
I didn't get to see it, but sounds like another awesome display! :yeah:
Good to see JJ get what she deserved too :lol:

Good luck v Lucie later, lets get to the final!! :bigclap:

Drine
May 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Aravane's through to the final :bounce:
Too bad Lucie had to retire after having lost the first set 1-6, that's sad but Aravane will be fresh against Venus :devil:

améliemomo
May 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
yeah aravane first finale of the year and a prestigious one:D:worship:

allez now beat williams in finale, has to be consistent and powerful, make her run.

Allez Aravane!:bounce:

Kipling
May 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
700 points in the bag!!!! That's more than enough to cover Madrid, Strasbourg and RG from last year, so the pressure of defending is off. 300 more tomorrow maybe! She can be relaxed and confident at RG and hopefully make a similar run there!

Awesome, Aravane! How cool is this?!?!

Iceland
May 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
What a week Aravane :worship: In a stunning form!

She still looks so full of energy and ready to hit more of those bombs. I have never seen play at such level. With a solid serving, she could definitely trouble Venus. She's a better claycourter than her and Im sure she could highlight Venus' lack of fitness. Shahar was never going to trouble her whereas Aravane definitely can. Such a exciting final waiting for us. Her first chance of capturing a big title, something she has been dreaming of for a long time. :)

Good luck Aravane, you can do it!!!

Sor.ana
May 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
So happy that she beats JJ ! :cheer:. By the way, why did JJ say during the press conference ?

She's now in final, have a possibility of beating Vee I guess. She deserves to win this tournament.

Kipling
May 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Boy, oh, boy, the haters are really come out of the woodwork in GM, now--a sure sign that Aravane is becoming a threat to their insecurity. This always happens when a new player threatens the old guard--Radwanska, Wozniacki, Azarenka, they all drew insane criticisms clearly proportional to how well they were doing. And so it goes.... :lol: I actually got a *bad rep* from some imbecile because I picked Aravane to win Madrid! It's one thing to support your player--quite another to be intolerant of other people's opinions. That's just juvenile. But sadly, very typical of the GM.

It's funny that now that they don't have a basis for criticizing her *game*, they're going after her for her press conferences... :rolleyes:

Stevecw
May 16th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Wow, Aravane in final :woohoo:

Pity the semi ended as it did, but all that matters is Aravane is in the decider. :)

Agree with ^ the amount of crap she is getting in GM is crazy. Most players coming thru get this, i guess its a mark of being sucessful.

She shut that arrogent cheeky JJ up 2 days ago, that was so brilliant but obv earned Aravane a lot of haters for being a better player and way hotter as an added bonus to piss them off with!!

Again tomorrow I will miss the final, but hope so much I return home tomorrow night to hear news of another Rezai win!!! And another night of haters and badreps!!! :lol:

Paris75
May 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Well done Aravane! That set was absolutely great, winners all over the court, even if Safaraova didn't seem to move well. And when you face if you can't move, it's finished. :)

Her attitude on the court is impressive too, she was so relaxed and focused, she did not feel pressure, or at least it did not alter her game at all yesterday!

Good luck against Venus, she is not the favourite but I hope her stunning run here in Madrid ends beautifully! :kiss:

Sor.ana
May 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
She shut that arrogent cheeky JJ up 2 days ago, that was so brilliant

:yeah:

I wish so much she wins this tournament !! She achieved well during Madrid, and deserve the title :bounce:. Allez Aravane !

Bероника
May 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Best of luck in the final today,Aravane!!!! I can finally watch one of her matchs this week.So excited for her! I don't want to get my hopes too high in case she loses today,but I can't forget that Aravane has already beaten Venus some years ago.Allez Aravane,make this Madrid an unforgettable experience! :D

I don't care that much about all the shit being written about her in GM,most of them are Jankovic fans that seem to be as bitter and having same 0 class as their favourite player :yawn:

Sor.ana
May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I don't care that much about all the shit being written about her in GM,most of them are Jankovic fans that seem to be as bitter and having same 0 class as their favourite player :yawn:

:lol: :yeah:
by the way, why does GM means ? I've been searching for a while but without find a solution.:confused:

Bероника
May 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
General Messages,the place where you can find all this haters Brent was talking about.

Sor.ana
May 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Okay :lol:
Don't care about JJ anymore. I'm bored with her ; so very happy Aravane sent her back to the locker room.

Bероника
May 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
With her good Madrid run,Aravane is back into top 20 according to this thread:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=402496

Drine
May 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
ARAVANE, CHAMPION OF MADRID :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
What a match, she played soooo good, enormous performance :worship:

Bravo Aravane :yeah: :hug:

Rafito.
May 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Fuck Yes! Amazing By Aravane!

Sor.ana
May 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
:cheer:
Great job Aravane :)

I felt so bad at the beginning of the tournament, with the drawing lots and many of my faves getting such a bad draw (Ivanovic...) or faves playing each other (Sori/Flavia ; Aga/Maria...). But finally, the tournament ends so well !! :bounce:
Aravane deserved this title ; she achieved so much in here.

She makes me smile during the speech ; she was so moved. That was adorable :)

Bероника
May 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM
oh la la,Aravane,who would have thought at the start of the week :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Big congrats!!!!!! :worship: I'm soooooo happy for her,really deserved title,the way she fights when she's down in score in impressive,such a fighting spirit :bigclap:

Sor.ana
May 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
oh la la,Aravane,who would have thought at the start of the week :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Big congrats!!!!!! :worship: I'm soooooo happy for her,really deserved title,the way she fights when she's down in score in impressive,such a fighting spirit :bigclap:

Nobody I guess.

She's a real fighter ! :drool:

améliemomo
May 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
just admire the way how strong mentally she had been being 2-5 down in this second set
I mean beating that way someone like williams is :worship::worship:

venus was sooo pissed about losing that way but aravane was just THE BEST today:cool:
for those who thought the american would destroy her, she got destroyed tennisticly and mentally and for that aravane must be Soooo proud of herself.:yeah:

she'll be 15 on monday with that win.GREAT!:D

Drine
May 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
just admire the way how strong mentally she had been being 2-5 down in this second set
I mean beating that way someone like williams is :worship::worship:

venus was sooo pissed about losing that way but aravane was just THE BEST today:cool:
for those who thought the american would destroy her, she got destroyed tennisticly and mentally and for that aravane must be Soooo proud of herself.:yeah:

she'll be 15 on monday with that win.GREAT!:D

And WE are so proud of her :worship:

Kipling
May 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
We are! SO proud! That was brilliant. Simply brilliant. No one should doubt her ability after this week. Most GS champions don't have to play six opponents of the quality Aravane faced this week, let alone in a single week. That was an impressive, impressive performance!

:inlove:

Iceland
May 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM
:bowdown:

Like a champion! The dream has come true!
What a performance seriously!! I don't know if many girls would have been able to refuse to surrender in the way she did today. A pure lesson of determination, she was fearless today.
The French press better give her some rest and just let the magic go on. :) Allez!

Paris75
May 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Wow! I'm speechless. That was huge mama. Fortunately we were able to watch all her matches exept the first one vs Henin and it was nice to see that she was finally able to maintain the level of play during a whole tournament. Those winners were absolutely outstanding. The way she fought was amazing too. Come on she lost only one set in 6 matches (and by the way that was the very first set of the tournament). What a champion Aravane is. I wish her the best for the French Open, I just hope she'll be concentrated enough to overcome any sort of pressure there.
Well done Lady Aravane! :kiss:

Stevecw
May 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Oh wow, that is amazing news to come home to see!! :woohoo:

Sounds like she fought so well and played at such a high level again!! :yeah:

Such a great week, any time I did get to see her play this week she was looking so good. Keep this up for RG...it would be so great to go on a long run there!! :)

Top 15 too :bowdown:

hurricanejeanne
May 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Super congrats to Aravane today! I didn't get to see the match (but I just caught the highlights online) and she played amazing! :bounce: I'm so impressed with her, she's been one of the players I've had my eye on for the last 5 years or so and she's really coming into her own this last year or so. I'm so proud of her! :bounce:

Allez Aravane! :bounce:

Alizé Molik
May 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Aravane deserved this! She was rly keeping the ball in when she needed to and playing a smart game! This really is incredible and I think we all knew even years ago that if she could just bring it all together this is what she was capable of..but she has finally realised something really huge! It makes the few years of her being around 90 ranked and inconsistant worth it!!!!

Kipling
May 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Not to jump too far ahead, but what do you all think of Aravane's chances on grass?

I have to admit, I am somewhat perplexed by her success on clay. I knew she grew up playing on it, but her game in theory should not be as effective on slow red clay as on a faster surface as indoor, hard or even the "new" slower grass.

Which begs the question--"why not grass?" I know she hasn't played much on it, as there are only a small number of tournaments on grass and she hasn't been a pro for that long, but still, you'd think she could really take advantage of the low bounces with those big flat shots of hers. I'm curious to see how she will perform on grass with 1) more experience and 2) her increased confidence. Movement should also be less of an issue there, too.

What do you all think?

hurricanejeanne
May 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Not to jump too far ahead, but what do you all think of Aravane's chances on grass?

I have to admit, I am somewhat perplexed by her success on clay. I knew she grew up playing on it, but her game in theory should not be as effective on slow red clay as on a faster surface as indoor, hard or even the "new" slower grass.

Which begs the question--"why not grass?" I know she hasn't played much on it, as there are only a small number of tournaments on grass and she hasn't been a pro for that long, but still, you'd think she could really take advantage of the low bounces with those big flat shots of hers. I'm curious to see how she will perform on grass with 1) more experience and 2) her increased confidence. Movement should also be less of an issue there, too.

What do you all think?

I think her game should translate pretty well on grass. She's got the shots that are just taylored for the surface and because the balls skid more the points are faster (even though the grass is slower than it used to be) movement isn't as much of requirement. The only thing that worries me is that Aravane tends to have rough service patches and that could hurt her against a player who may not have great groundstrokes but a decent serve.

Alizé Molik
May 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
serve is one problem on grass for her, another is that yes her shots should be good in theory, but actually she takes such a big swing at the ball, she needs time to do so, meaning that she'll be rushed into a lot more errors on grass than on clay or hardcourt where she has more time to have a big swing at the ball. Having said that, if she takes the time to work out how best to play her game on grass she will do well!

WhatTheDeuce
May 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I think her serve isn't really a huge issue on grass, at least not any more than it is on other surfaces. She's got the slice thing going on, especially on her second serve, and that always is accentuated on a grass court.

Her biggest issue on grass is the low and inconsistent bounces, I think. I feel like Aravane strikes the ball her best when she has it up at shoulder length and she has some time to really unleash. That's why she's so good on the dirt, because it bounces higher, the bounce is more consistent, and she has a bit more time. With the skiddy bounces on grass, she just has to hit her ground stokes from lower down, making it harder for her to produce that consistently torrid pace. Plus I think she just has a harder time getting a rhythm cause of the court speed and varying bounces.

That all said, she still has the potential to do quite well on grass. :) Looking forward to her Wimbledon campaign this year.

sunsfuns
May 17th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think grass will be as kind to her as clay. Her weakness seems to be speed and defense. Balls will come back to her faster, bounce lower and she will have less time to really launch into her shots. Slow hardcourt (something like IW or AO) could be very good for her, though.

Kipling
May 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure that grass will hurt her game all that much, though, because even though the balls will bounce lower, she has impeccable timing and takes the ball very early. In fact, the Bali surface was one of the fastest, if not the fastest on tour and it seemed to fit her game quite well--she anticpated very well in that event. One other thing is that the players who give Aravane problems are the ones who moonball her and send loopy shots up over her head and out of her "strike zone". That shouldn't happen on grass.

I think she'll need to make some adjustments, surely, but I really think the potential is there for her to be successful on grass.

Kipling
May 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
By the way--this occured to me this morning:

Aravane's H2H against the Williams family is 2-up.

She is 1-0 vs. Henin.

She is 1-1 vs. Sharapova.

A combined 4-3 versus arguably the world's 4 best players over the last 5-6 year period.

Think about that for a moment. ;)

DualMedia
May 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
GO rezai!!!

Alizé Molik
May 18th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure that grass will hurt her game all that much, though, because even though the balls will bounce lower, she has impeccable timing and takes the ball very early. In fact, the Bali surface was one of the fastest, if not the fastest on tour and it seemed to fit her game quite well--she anticpated very well in that event. One other thing is that the players who give Aravane problems are the ones who moonball her and send loopy shots up over her head and out of her "strike zone". That shouldn't happen on grass.

I think she'll need to make some adjustments, surely, but I really think the potential is there for her to be successful on grass.

yes but as INZ said, grass doesn't give you the same bounce every time like a hardcourt. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens though :) as long as she doesn't run into someone like Kerber again that can hit off her pace and just chip the ball back she'll be ok!

Kipling
May 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Well, here we are less than 24 hours from the main draw and three days from the start of main draw play and not even one post about Aravane's chances in the Main Event?!

I haven't looked forward to a Grand Slam tournament so much in years--maybe ever--and that is saying something. While I am trying to keep my expectations realistic, it is really exciting to see Aravane getting so much consideration by the oddsmakers--seventh or eighth choice in most lists at this point.

I think she is riding a wave of confidence and is hot at the right time. She'll be playing her home event in front of what I *hope* is a wildly enthusiastic and supportive crowd, and has the knowledge that she can beat the clay giants on their turf if she plays up to her ability. She's also visably improving with each match, a sure sign that her coaching relationship is beginning to pay off (I was skeptical for awhile, but it's clear that she really trusts and believes in what Patrick M. is telling her).

I would really love to see Aravane go deep here. Winning would be a dream come true, of course, but realistically, a QF or even SF is possible here. I hope she just keeps her focus and takes it one point, and one match at a time.

Allez!!!! And let's pull together to cheer her on to victory!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL-lez! AL-lez! AL-lez, AR-a-VANE!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Stevecw
May 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah I am afraid to post much about RG as for 1st time ever I really feel she has a great chance of going far here!! But, and its a worry for me, she could just as easy lose in 1st round to some nobody. We have seen her do it before. She has the game to beat the best, and also sometimes has the game that loses to the worst!!!

She is 6th favourite here with bookies, which is amazing to see!!!
They have Henin, S Williams, JJ, V Williams and Stosur only ahead of her!!! Then Aravane & Dementieva are together as 6th faves!

Really hope she goes a long way!! :)

WhatTheDeuce
May 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I'm nervous for her too. And it's true that coming off that magical week in Madrid, I'm still not completely convinced that she's gonna take care of business against the players she really should beat.

One match at a time... Trying not to blow my expectations out of proportion. :p

ALLEZ! :armed:

Kipling
May 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Having seen the draw, I think it's a good one for Aravane--neither too soft nor too hard, with a good mix of potential opponents. She opens with a qualifier, who will have a three match win streak but also some wear and tear on her, so that should be a solid start. Round 2 is potentially Kerber again, or Chakvetadze, but based on recent results more likely Kerber. I'm inclined to think that AO match was an aberration--an off day from Aravane. She rushed through it rather than trying to fight her way through it. I've seen Kerber's game up close on clay at Ponte Vedra and really wasn't impressed. She got breadsticked by Lepchenko there 1 and 1, and has nothing to hurt Aravane with. Unless Aravane is having a day where she can't hit the broad side of a barn, I don't think R2 should be a problem.

It gets trickier in R3, potentially a matchup with Petrova or Szavay. Aravane beat Szavay on hard earlier this year, when her form wasn't as good, and Petrova, while she has a big serve, is not a great mover or defender, so again, this is a matchup that should favor Aravane. As long as she is aggressive and taking the initiative, she has advantage against all of those players in her section.

R4 is the big one--Venus. To be honest, I think Venus should probably be more concerned about that potential matchup than Aravane. Venus is a great matchup for her on clay, and Aravane really exploited Venus' high center of gravity in Madrid by repeatedly handcuffing her to the baseline and getting her out of position for clean winners. Excellent tactics, and she definitely knows the gameplan for beating her, having taken the last four sets between them. IMO, the most dangerous potential opponent for Aravane out of Venus' section is an in-form Cibulkova, who could defend her big groundies and make her run. That one would worry me.

Potential QF opponents include Dementieva, MJMS and Azarenka. We all know Aravane's record against Elena, but they haven't played when Aravane's been playing her best, so that would be interesting, though at this point I'm more inclined to think it'll be MJMS coming through here. What a contrast in styles that would be!

The semi is totally unpredictable, as that third quarter is so wide open anyone could come through. Ordinarily, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova and maybe Dulgheru would rate as favorites, but I think you have to throw in Saferova and Schiavone, possibly even Petkovic.

Aravane has what I would call a favorable draw for a deep run, because R3 and R4 will be good tests, with potentially easier matches in QF and SF, but she has to take it one match at a time and concentrate on the early rounds, which are always tricky.

For now, let's just focus on that qualifier--go get her, Aravane! Allez!

améliemomo
May 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
a slam is very long and tough. Cool that she's starting with a qualifer.Never easy to play R1 when you're seeded and that everyone knows how good you played in Madrid.
She will be waited there so better face a qualifer cause there will be certainly some "pressure" entering the center court.
Then the level could climb up round after round.

Good luck Aravane!

ptitnavet
May 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
Good luck Aravane ! Do the best you can! And we know what you can do ;)
Allez !

Kipling
May 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Aravane's 1st round date is.....drumroll, please....

Heidi El Tabakh.

Photog-friendly R1 clash... ;)

Koon
May 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
I wanna say good luck to Rezai in Paris :smooch:

Anyway, Rezai's draw is not good :scared: I don't like her to met Petrova in 3rd tho :o , she's so unpredictable on clay . If she can able to get past her , I think she has chance to beat Venus :shrug: . There was only between Serena-Venus- Caro - JJ. JJ are really solid on clay and I don't want Avarane to get her really . No one wants to draw Serena in 4th :scared: . I prefered her to draw Caro :o coz she is injured now :o but Vee's also not too bad :)

Having Petrova in 3rd is really worst .

Sasja
May 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Aravane will play her 1st round match tomorrow on court Philippe Chatrier. It is the 3rd match. 1st match starts at 11.00

GL Aravane :cheer2:

Koon
May 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
GL against Heidi :cheer:

WhatTheDeuce
May 23rd, 2010, 01:52 AM
Allez.

Stevecw
May 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Best of luck Aravane. Should be an easy enough win.

But don't make it too short as we all want to see El Tabakh & Aravane on the court for a long enough time to enjoy it!! What :hearts: match to watch...2 of the best looking players :)

Good luck Aravane! :yeah:

Kipling
May 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Best of luck Aravane. Should be an easy enough win.

But don't make it too short as we all want to see El Tabakh & Aravane on the court for a long enough time to enjoy it!! What :hearts: match to watch...2 of the best looking players :)

Good luck Aravane! :yeah:

Iceland
May 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Aravane won 61 61. :yeah:

Heidi played a perfect first game but completely went away as early as there was a close game. Aravane took fully advantage of it and demolished in less than 50min. She really hit the ball confidently and allowed herself some nice winners. :) Still, two more tests to go as a favourite. I'm a bit nervous for the next round. Kerber isn't as in form as she was earlier in the year but let's not forget she is the one who defeated her in Melbourne. Chakvetadze wouldn't be a piece of cake either. Thankfully Aravane now moves really better so she should escape this little trap!

Allez Aravane, allez! :)

Kipling
May 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
I think Heidi played about as well as Aravane let her play today, tbh. Those returns Aravane hit were huge, right at Heidi's feet, and Heidi had no play on them. She hit some ferociously big winners. I thought one forehand had surely dug a hole in the court. Aravane also won 90+ % of her first serve points and even though she only served 49% she was scary good on serve today.

If she plays like that, she has as good a chance at anyone at winning RG.

As for Kerber/Chaky, Aravane was about 30% of where she is now, form-wise, at the AO. I'm keen to see a rematch.

Drine
May 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Good practice session for Aravane today, well played :worship:

Kipling
May 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Good practice session for Aravane today, well played :worship:

I figured you must have gone to the match today as you missed the livescore thread. :)

Bероника
May 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
wow that was fast :worship:

Drine
May 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
I figured you must have gone to the match today as you missed the livescore thread. :)

Well no, in fact I'm spending the WE with my family so we're all watching the matches on TV :cool:
I'll join you for Aravane's next matches ;)

améliemomo
May 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
well done aravane, never easy to be waited and the object of big expectations.
Kerber is next. I really want to see how fierce aravane will be against that opponent who beat her at the AO earlier.
I think she ll be very motivated to win.
Amélie Mauresmo was the commentator of this match and she was impressed by aravane power shots.
She spoke with her and congratulated her.Aravane is sheduled to play on wednesday.She said she's gonna keep a rythm in her training, her habits during the tournament.

Sor.ana
May 23rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
She has the game to beat Kerber. I would have prefered if she had played Chaki cuz I like her to. But anyway, in both cases she is able to win.

WhatTheDeuce
May 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Amelie and Aravane. :hearts:

hurricanejeanne
May 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Allez Aravane! :cheer: Absolute beat down today, though I think Heidi should have good future, Aravane was too good today. :D

Stevecw
May 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Kerber next, time for revenge!!
Aravane is in such devestating form, I can ony see a 2 set win for her!!

It will be good revenge!! :yeah:

Kipling
May 24th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Really nice words today from the American tennis commentators. Brad Gilbert of ESPN, when proded by Chris Fowler for his pick on the women's side, said "I've got a feeling that the winner of that Rezai-Venus Williams match is going to be a big part of what determines who wins this title." He went on to say that "for a girl 5'5", there's no one out there that hits a bigger ball." Linsey Davenport, on the Tennis Channel coverage, was also very complimentary, and even called her a "*very* nice girl" (obviously she hasn't heard what an awful person Aravane is per GM...lol). I guess you probably won't hear those comments on the hater forum, but anyway, I thought it was neat to hear.

Koon
May 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Just do well in RG and you will shut the haters up forever , Aravane :cheer:

WhatTheDeuce
May 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Really nice words today from the American tennis commentators. Brad Gilbert of ESPN, when proded by Chris Fowler for his pick on the women's side, said "I've got a feeling that the winner of that Rezai-Venus Williams match is going to be a big part of what determines who wins this title." He went on to say that "for a girl 5'5", there's no one out there that hits a bigger ball." Linsey Davenport, on the Tennis Channel coverage, was also very complimentary, and even called her a "*very* nice girl" (obviously she hasn't heard what an awful person Aravane is per GM...lol). I guess you probably won't hear those comments on the hater forum, but anyway, I thought it was neat to hear.
Lindsay and Aravane! :hearts:

See, players with good taste like Rezai. The Jankovic's of the world can blow me.

Kipling
May 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Alizavane plays Grandin/Spears tomorrow on Court 17. Hope Aravane doesn't tire herself out with doubles here.

Drine
May 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Alizavane plays Grandin/Spears tomorrow on Court 17. Hope Aravane doesn't tire herself out with doubles here.

Wow !!! Didn't know Aravane and Alizé played doubles together :eek:
Strange combo, but why not :lol: I'm curious to see what they can produce together ;)

Bероника
May 24th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Interesting pair,that's for sure!

hurricanejeanne
May 25th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Lindsay and Aravane! :hearts:

See, players with good taste like Rezai. The Jankovic's of the world can blow me.

Totally agree. Aravane is love. :inlove:

Kipling
May 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Alizavane def. Grandin/Spears 6-3 4-6 6-2. Lost a break in set 2 but rebounded nicely in 3rd! That's a nice, and surprising, win, as Grandin/Spears took out Bluber in Miami this year.

Go girls!

Koon
May 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Yes. Grandin/Spears is extremely dangerous . I'm glad that the girls did it :yeah:

:cheer: Hope Aravane will focus in single now :cheer:

WhatTheDeuce
May 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Oooh yay, finally a doubles campaign worth paying attention too. :hearts: Allez!

Cornet >>> Koryttseva

Bероника
May 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Good victory in doubles :bigclap:

Kipling
May 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Aravane is the third scheduled match on Lenglen tomorrow but the weather forecast is looking awful, at least from over here. Hopefully there will be some breaks in the rain tomorrow, but it may be another day or two before Aravane gets back on court. Probably a good thing she had that doubles workout today.

Stevecw
May 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hope Aravanes game tomorrow is delayed until evening!! I can't see any games that happen from RG time 10-18h due to damn work!!

A rain delay that means she plays at about 18h would be perfect!! Good luck to her anyway whenever she plays...get the win :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
May 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I agree, later = better. Hopefully if there's a delay it will only be temporary.

Kipling
May 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Aravane survived in three. Not the best quality match, but she fought well and it's encouraging that she didn't cave in under the pressure. 60 winners is droolworthy. Let's eliminate those UEs though. Petrov should be a better matchup for her, as she will thrive on Nadia's pace of shot. They also practiced together in Miami, so Aravane knows what to expect.

améliemomo
May 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
you can see that aravane was tense in that match and its obvious she 's not Kerber friend.
Lot of rivalry during that match, it was very tricky but it's a good win. She can probably build something good on it.
Allez Aravane, keep it up:)

Iceland
May 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Good win from Aravane, typically the kind of matches she lost earlier in the year. After the rain delay she managed to be patient enough to make Angelique play as the German girl was pretty nervous herself. She really scared me when she was missing all those easy shots. It's really good to see a French girl dominating her emotions. Alizé and Amélie would always become passive in such situation whereas Aravane tries. I think there are lots of positive things to take from that win :)

Nadia will definitely be tougher. Aravane managed to lose to her in RG 2 years ago I think as she couldn't retrieve Nadia's serve. Now she has improved a lot but this win isn't to take for granted. Hope there will be more errors than today from Nadia. Anyway Agi was so passive that it wasn't that tough to dictate the game ^^

Allez Aravane!

Drine
May 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Good job Aravane :bounce:

Stevecw
May 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Good that she got the win :clap2:
I didn't get to see it, but sounds not too impressive a performance.

Getting through is all that matters and hope she can be on form v Petrova :)

Kipling
May 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Alizavane 2nd match on court 4 tomorrow vs. Raymond/Stubbs. Allez!

Bероника
May 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Aravane :bounce: Very happy to see she was able to get the win after the rain delay :D

Now what an interesting match against Nadia!

Kipling
May 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Aravane's entered in Bastad after Wimbledon. Only Pennetta is ranked higher among the entrants there, so far. Interesting strategy. I guess she's trying to rack up the points on clay. I'd like to see her really apply herself to the hardcourts this year, though, because she has the game to do well at the USO.

Alizé Molik
May 27th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Good win from Aravane, typically the kind of matches she lost earlier in the year. After the rain delay she managed to be patient enough to make Angelique play as the German girl was pretty nervous herself. She really scared me when she was missing all those easy shots. It's really good to see a French girl dominating her emotions. Alizé and Amélie would always become passive in such situation whereas Aravane tries. I think there are lots of positive things to take from that win :)

Nadia will definitely be tougher. Aravane managed to lose to her in RG 2 years ago I think as she couldn't retrieve Nadia's serve. Now she has improved a lot but this win isn't to take for granted. Hope there will be more errors than today from Nadia. Anyway Agi was so passive that it wasn't that tough to dictate the game ^^

Allez Aravane!

yeah I think this match was actually a big achievement, because last time when Kerber was hitting everything back, Aravane just sort of imploded, where as this time she focused and I think her improved serve helped as well. In the first set Kerber just couldn't do anything, until Aravane got a bit nervy and went off the boil. I'm glad no1 in GM watched the match otherwise they might have been another thread about her telling Mariana Alves that she didn't do her job :drool:

and yes, Petrova hits a lot of errors if you make her play, but I think agnes was injured and was basically 3m behind the baseline, hitting it straight up the middle of the court :help:

Kipling
May 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Aravane and Alizé lost today in doubles to Raymond and Stubbs 2-6 2-6. :(

Kipling
May 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Aravane is last on Chartrier today against Nadia. Allez, Aravane! Be aggressive!

Paris75
May 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
That was epic! :eek: The match was great not only in terms of quality but drama and fighting spirit. I loved both attitudes on court. i thought Aravane would gather many more fans thanks to this match, but apparently the number of haters is increasing also :lol:.
I'm very proud of Aravane no matter what she does tomorow!

Good Luck and Fight! :)

Kipling
May 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM
That was epic! :eek: The match was great not only in terms of quality but drama and fighting spirit. I loved both attitudes on court. i thought Aravane would gather many more fans thanks to this match, but apparently the number of haters is increasing also :lol:.
I'm very proud of Aravane no matter what she does tomorow!

Good Luck and Fight! :)

I second that!

And you're right--the haters are coming out in droves. :lol:

hurricanejeanne
May 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Today was crazy and I hope that Aravane wins tomorrow, though regardless, she should be proud of herself because she's come so far this season. I just hope she's able to find a consistency so she's able to do well at every event she plays.

The funny thing about all the haters in GM is that as soon as we move on to Wimbledon and the summer hardcourts, they'll move on to another player who produces a good run or causes a huge upset. And I love that no one is thinking that maybe she simply mistook the mark she pointed at, this happens all the time. And it's nothing new for a player to fist pump/say allez/come on on their opponent's error, especially if it's a big point. It's part of the game nowadays.

:shrug:

Kipling
May 29th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Today was crazy and I hope that Aravane wins tomorrow, though regardless, she should be proud of herself because she's come so far this season. I just hope she's able to find a consistency so she's able to do well at every event she plays.

The funny thing about all the haters in GM is that as soon as we move on to Wimbledon and the summer hardcourts, they'll move on to another player who produces a good run or causes a huge upset. And I love that no one is thinking that maybe she simply mistook the mark she pointed at, this happens all the time. And it's nothing new for a player to fist pump/say allez/come on on their opponent's error, especially if it's a big point. It's part of the game nowadays.

:shrug:

I know, it's sad. I stayed the entire week at Ponte Vedra this year and I can tell you as a matter of absolute fact that in almost every match that was played, there was at least one conference (i.e. argument) at the net between both players and umpire over what the right mark was. When you are playing a point, focusing on the ball coming at you, you aren't looking at the line. You might have a fleeting look at it when following the flight of the ball, but you don't have a static vantage point like a linesperson, or even the umpire. You are, in effect, a moving frame of reference. It's almost impossible to make an accurate judgement as to what mark is the right one when there are so many. It's simply not the player's job to call the line. The umpire has not only the obligation to make sure the line calls are correct, but the right to overrule, meaning she has to be watching out for the marks. It isn't Rezai's job in that situation. She pointed out what she thought were the right marks. They weren't. Only someone so full of bias or hatred would call something like that "cheating."

If you notice, none of the analysts or commentators or reporters have accused Aravane of any such thing--only a few crazies on a tennis fanatic forum. This is telling.

I'm not so sure I agree with the "haters will move on" argument. For one thing, I don't think Aravane's success is fleeting. She has too much raw talent and fighting ability to remain outside the top 10 or even top 5 for much longer. She presents a significant threat to the establishment at this site, which is heavily pro-Williams, because she is one of the few players out there who cn push them around on the court, rendering them helpless to defend, and probably the only one who can actually overpower them. Now, she is short and doesn't have their strong serves, but clearly, from what we have seen in the past matchups Aravane has had with the sisters, she is nether intimidated by nor overpowered by them, and her ground game is better. I think that scares a lot of their fans, to be honest. No one likes a new threat.

hurricanejeanne
May 29th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Oh absolutely. Aravane is the new kid on the block and she's shown she can go toe to toe with the top girls. And if she had a bigger serve or at least a consistant one, she'd be even more dangerous and that's scary especially if her game is finding consistency.

I didn't even think of the fact that the commentators haven't mentioned the "cheating"! That's very telling, because the commentators usually catch anything drama worthy and latch on to it.

I think that she'll always have that hard core group of haters, but then again, every established, good player has that group of people that hate them. ;) But I do think that after a month or so her being the focus of hate on the forum will die down a little bit, at least I hope so. But also, people hate players who are more successful when their favorites struggle, so it's really up in the air.

I'm just hopeful that Aravane, win or lose tomorrow, continues her positive season.

Bероника
May 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Was not following Aravane's yesterday because I was too busy seeing Sveta lose her crown :sobbing: Also I like Nadia too so it's for me a win-win lose-lose situation,and was avoiding to post in any of their forums.I guess I'll download match when it's over and enjoy it as much as I can.

As for the GM bashing,I stopped reading it some weeks ago when it started growing.Man some of this people are ridiculous and their stupidity so unfounded,at least learn facts well.I wonder how old are most of them? Anyway since getting all this bashing is an indication of how successful she's been recently,let them cluck all they want as long as Aravane keeps progressing on her way up ;)

Aravane,we are proud of you :D

Stevecw
May 29th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Only saw the end of 3rd set yesterday, but wow that wasn't good for the heart!!
She did so so well to hang in there, that final game was crazy!! :lol:

Really hope she can finish it fast today, and get a rest. 9-7 please! :yeah:

Drine
May 29th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately Aravane lost 10-8 in the last set :sad:
Nadia hasn't made any mistakes today, she was more solid so deserved win ;)

Aravane must be very disappointed, but she'll be back :devil:

Stevecw
May 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah Nadia was better today. Aravane's serve was just not good enough :(

Its a hard loss to take, but Aravane has shown the last few weeks that she has the game to compete with the best.

Just such a pity she is gone out in 1st week here :sobbing:
Bet those idiotic haters on GM are loving it :mad: :rolleyes:

Bероника
May 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Aravane :hug: sorry tournament had to end like this,after such a fight :sad: but yes,as Drine says,she'll be back.Keep fighting and improving,we know good things are going to come for you soon,Aravane :kiss:

and fuck the haters :ras: they are so pathetic :weirdo:

Iceland
May 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah its just the beginning :)
Nobody and nothing will stop her from believing in herself. This loss will be hard to cope with but with hindsight, Im sure it will help her. The main reason why she lost it is her poor serving and perhaps lack of instinct at the net.
Thank you Aravane for this beautiful match. :)

hurricanejeanne
May 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm sad Aravane lost, but there's not shame in losing to Nadia on clay especially after such a fight.

The haters can hate as long as Aravane continues to improve. :D

améliemomo
May 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
so sad for aravane who was so close to win yesterday.
The tournament is finished now for me, no more interest watching it.

Hopefully aravane will keep improving and fulfil all the great things we saw the last few weeks.

Go aravane:D

Alizé Molik
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM
3-2 against woz...she isnt asjusting for the wind

Libertango
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
^Yer, Caro looks more comfortable on the grass/in the wind, so far...

Alizé Molik
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
but now she's feeling the ball! takes the first set 64 from *3-4 down!!!

Libertango
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
:lol: I underestimated her. Keep this going Aravane! Still lots of work to do.

Kipling
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Allez, Aravane!!! C'mon! Fight!

Bероника
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Aravane is playing tournament in Bĺstad next according to http://tennis.quickfound.net/

Kipling
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:08 AM
And Palermo after that, I think.

I'm not sure what to make of her schedule. On the one hand, it's two clay events where she will be a top seed, but at the same time, if she puts in good work on hard court, I could see her doing damage at the USO. I just want her fit, rested and ready for the USO, and I hope if her wrist is an issue she will take time off and heal.

Stevecw
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Aravane is playing tournament in Bĺstad next according to http://tennis.quickfound.net/

Well thats good, but only if she is 100% fit. If she is then its great as she should get a few wins and gain some confidence. No amount of training can beat winning actual matches!

Stevecw
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
She plays in Bastad tomorrow morning.

1st round v Osterloh.

Good luck to her and make sure and win :)

Kipling
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Allez, Aravane! Let's take this title!

Kipling
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Aravane 6-4 6-2! Go girl!

Drine
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Horrible start :help: Much better in the end :)
I hope she plays a good tournament in Bastad, she can definitely grab the title :cheer:

Stevecw
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Nice one Aravane :yeah:

Good win in 2 sets well done :)

Bероника
Jul 5th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Well done,Aravane!!! :D

Drine,about the horrible start,must have taken her a bit to adapt to clay again.Can this be the reason? I'm just speculating,of course.Anybody saw the match and can comment on her play?

Drine
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Well done,Aravane!!! :D

Drine,about the horrible start,must have taken her a bit to adapt to clay again.Can this be the reason? I'm just speculating,of course.Anybody saw the match and can comment on her play?

Maybe yes. Let's hope it's indeed just a matter of transition from grass to clay :p ;)
We'll probably find the answer to our question during her next match :)

Kipling
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I saw the match on livestream. Aravane just made a ton of UEs in the first few games. Probably the result of not playing for a week and a half. When she found her range, she was clearly the better player, simply overpowering Osterloh. From 1-4, she only lost twp games the rest of the way, and one of those was a break after being up 2-0 in set 2, when she looked a little sloppy. The next couple of rounds will tell more.

Kipling
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Aravane will be third match on Centre Court tomorrow (Wednesday). Allez, Aravane! Or "Come on!", whichever you prefer these days, lol.

Stevecw
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
C'mon Aravane!! :lol:
Playing Voracova, this should be another 2 set win really.

Drine
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Easy straight set victory over Voracova 6-4 6-2 http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif
Still not very convincing Aravane with some stupid errors due to impatience and an ugly serve, so she'll have to be a bit more consistent in the next round. Next opponent is a clay specialist, Parra Santonja.

Drine
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Aravane's playing on Center Court tomorrow, second match http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif

GO ARAVANE http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/19.gif

Kipling
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Getting to see all her matches this week! Keep going, Aravane!

Stevecw
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Great win again :yeah:

Best of luck v Parra Santonja. This won't be easy at all. Might take 3 sets.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
She'll have no trouble with Parra I imagine, that's a good matchup for Aravane.

Allez!

Drine
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Aravane's through to the SF, she beat Parra Santonja 6-1 6-4 http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif
She'll meet Safarova....tough one http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/77.gif

Drine
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Aravane's scheduled second on Center Court (first match at noon) http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/smile.gif

GO ARAVANE http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/102.gif http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/19.gif

Bероника
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Good victory,Aravane :bounce:

Hopefully tomorrow she'll beat Safarova too

Drine
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM
6-3 6-3 Aravane is in the final http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/75.gif
Better performance from Aravane today, can't wait for her match tomorrow against Dulko http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif

Kipling
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Go get her, Aravane, you clay princess! You can do it!

Stevecw
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Great job today Aravane!! :woohoo:

Now against one of my other faves Gisela...but prefer Aravane and hope she can win this!!

Gise and Flavia can win doubles final, so that would mean 3 of my faves win on same day :yeah:

Drine
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Aravane's the winner in Bastad !!!! Congrats Aravane, well deserved title again http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/61.gif

But please work on your serve.....

Kipling
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Congratulations, Aravane!!! Quite an impressive year you're putting together! Now on to Palermo--let's take that one too!

améliemomo
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Aravane you great!well done and congrats:yeah::worship:

Bероника
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
A bit late but many congrats to Aravane for the title!!! :bigclap: I'm so proud of her and how good she's doing this year.

Bероника
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Aravane will face Simona Halep in the first round of Palermo tournament.Allez!!!! :kiss:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Congrats on the title Aravane :kiss: She's laying down the law!

Keep this up in Palermo :banana:

Stevecw
Jul 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Great win in Bastad!! I know im very late but never get to post at weekends!!! Yet another title, its turing out to be such an impressive year :bounce:

Good luck v Halep in Palermo :)

Kipling
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Aravane v Halep 1st on Centre Court tomorrow (4PM local time). C'mon, Aravane!

Kipling
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Aravane beats Halep 7-5 4-6 6-2! On to R2!

:inlove:

améliemomo
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Well done aravane,it was a tricky match:)

Alizé Molik
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:06 AM
if she wins the title here she could be 16th! good chance to move a bit deeper into the top 20 anyway!

Kipling
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM
It's only a matter of time before she moves up the rankings. She's over 3000 points now and it's very close between the second ten in the rankings. Many of the players ahead of her have a ton of points to defend between now and Beijing/Tokyo and it's extremely unlikely they'll do that given the way they are playing. Pennetta, Wickmayer, Bartoli, Peer, Radwanska, Wozniacki, Clijsters, Dementieva, Sharapova all have lots to defend. Henin isn't adding more points for awhile. Petrova and Azarenka are barely ahead of her and not doing anything special at the moment. And there're others who are passable, too.

Aravane herself has almost nothing to defend between now and Bali. It's not inconceiveable that she could be top ten later this year, and, with a great run at the US Open, maybe higher.

améliemomo
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:57 AM
hi everyone here:)

I hope aravane to break the top10 later this season but well like we say: step by step.

She 's confident right now,won a tournament last week without playing her best tennis.She still has a huge room for improvement and this is just so positive for her.
I watched her bstaad finale against dulko and there was a time, after she won the first set. Her coach,not Patrick Mouratoglou but another one from the academy was talking to her after she asked for him.
They were speaking and laughing together. Then I managed to hear what he was saying to aravane, he said "t'es bien aravane, allez défonce lui sa gueule" in french "come on aravane,well done ,go kick her ass"

I was like :eek: and :haha::haha::haha:

omg I was laughing big and this comment made aravane laugh too.It was chocking and funny to hear a coach saying that to a player.
Dont know if he is in palerme with her this week but his speechs are priceless:drool:

Kipling
Jul 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
:lol:

That's great! I'm glad they are making her relaxed and comfortable. As with anything, pressure is the biggest obstacle to success. If she can stay relaxed and confident, the sky is the limit for her.

améliemomo
Jul 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
yes I think she was enjoying the moment very well even if she got broken early in that second set.
I think they try to make her feel confident on the court and always search for the best out of her.
I love her fighting spirit and humility.

Stevecw
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Duque Marino is next up tomorrow. Decent player but should be Aravane in 2.

Get the win :yeah:

Kipling
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Aravane takes it 7-6 6-3. Not the best day for her--she looked rather passive and not aggressive as usual. SHe really shouldn't have let it get that close, but good fighting. Fought off some break points to protect her serve well in set 2.

Keep going, Aravane!

Bероника
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
what happened to Aravane against Oprandi? Anybody saw the match?

:sad:

Oh well,seems like players I support have this tendency to ups and downs.I know they're part of her game but it's still a bit disappointing.I was hoping she could add a new title this week.

Drine
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Dammit !!! I was so disappointed to learn that Aravane lost to Oprandi http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbdown.gif
What happened there ? I couldn't follow the tournament at all, I was at the sea http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/14.gif http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/tongue.gif

Where is she playing next ?

Kipling
Jul 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Dammit !!! I was so disappointed to learn that Aravane lost to Oprandi http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbdown.gif
What happened there ? I couldn't follow the tournament at all, I was at the sea http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/14.gif http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/tongue.gif

Where is she playing next ?

Who said you could go on vacation?! I was bored here by myself. :p Well, I hope you had a good time anyway. ;)

Well, the match against Oprandi wasn't on livestream. For some stupid reason, the first match at Palermo every day was not shown on livestream, though all remaining centre court matches were shown. Normally, I wouldn't care, but all three of Aravane's matches were on cntre court and two of them were the first match of the day, so we couldn't see either R1 or the QF. I did watch her play Duque Marino in R2.

Aravane did not seem sharp in that match. At times, she hit some tremendous winners, but she seemed very lethargic and tired and not really "into" the match at all, other than questioning some line calls. I think she was tired from two weeks of clay court tennis in the heat. She got through it, but it didn't surprise me that she lost the next round.

The Oprandi match was 2-1 for Aravane with a break of serve when the livescore froze. I looked around for any livescore that worked but they were all frozen at 2-1 for more than an hour. By the time it started working, Aravane had lost.

We can't really be too upset at her, she did win 7 matches in a row and beat some pretty good clay court players along the way. I hope she takes a few weeks off now and rests herself for the hardcourt season.

Drine
Jul 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Who said you could go on vacation?! I was bored here by myself. :p Well, I hope you had a good time anyway. ;)

Well, the match against Oprandi wasn't on livestream. For some stupid reason, the first match at Palermo every day was not shown on livestream, though all remaining centre court matches were shown. Normally, I wouldn't care, but all three of Aravane's matches were on cntre court and two of them were the first match of the day, so we couldn't see either R1 or the QF. I did watch her play Duque Marino in R2.

Aravane did not seem sharp in that match. At times, she hit some tremendous winners, but she seemed very lethargic and tired and not really "into" the match at all, other than questioning some line calls. I think she was tired from two weeks of clay court tennis in the heat. She got through it, but it didn't surprise me that she lost the next round.

The Oprandi match was 2-1 for Aravane with a break of serve when the livescore froze. I looked around for any livescore that worked but they were all frozen at 2-1 for more than an hour. By the time it started working, Aravane had lost.

We can't really be too upset at her, she did win 7 matches in a row and beat some pretty good clay court players along the way. I hope she takes a few weeks off now and rests herself for the hardcourt season.

Thanks Brent (that's your name right ?) http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif
Sorry I left you all by yourself here http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/83.gif but I really needed to take some fresh air by the sea http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/cool.gif

You're right, Aravane did pretty well these last few weeks on clay so she needs some rest now before the hardcourt season starts.
What's her next tournament ?

Kipling
Jul 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks Brent (that's your name right ?) http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif
Sorry I left you all by yourself here http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/83.gif but I really needed to take some fresh air by the sea http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/cool.gif

You're right, Aravane did pretty well these last few weeks on clay so she needs some rest now before the hardcourt season starts.
What's her next tournament ?

Yes, Brent is my name. :wavey:

Hope you had a nice time at the beach.

I think Aravane's next tournaments are San Diego, Cincinnati and Montreal. :)

Stevecw
Jul 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Great summary of what happened for us people in Europe who have to work during these matches :(
I am constantly on my livescore site all day as its one of the few sites thats not blocked to me in work!!! But gotta say Aravane did great last few weeks. She needs a few weeks off and recharge batteries.

Kipling
Jul 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Aravane should pass up Marion Bartoli in the rankings and become French Number 1 after Stanford, given the way Marion is playing lately, and then should pass Pennetta as well--both have lots of points to defend the next couple of weeks.

Bероника
Jul 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Aravane should pass up Marion Bartoli in the rankings and become French Number 1 after Stanford, given the way Marion is playing lately, and then should pass Pennetta as well--both have lots of points to defend the next couple of weeks.

Can't wait for this to happens,she's been the best french player for months now,so it's only natural this happens

Drine
Jul 26th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Can't wait for this to happens,she's been the best french player for months now,so it's only natural this happens

Totally agree http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif

Kipling
Jul 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM

I agree. It'll happen. There's a high likelihood it will be next Monday, as Bartoli is defending 470 points and is 321 ahead of Aravane, meaning that unless she gets to the SF, Aravane will pass her. I like Marion, but she is playing poorly at present and Aravane has been much better in the past year and change, winning 4 titles to Bartoli's 1 and beating much better players along the way. So yes, it's pretty clear who the best French player is. ;)

améliemomo
Jul 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
yes cant wait aravane to get that first place from bartoli.

She has better results and she'll be a better ambassador of french tennis than bartoli that I never liked.

Go Aravane:)

Alizé Molik
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM
yes cant wait aravane to get that first place from bartoli.

She has better results and she'll be a better ambassador of french tennis than bartoli that I never liked.

Go Aravane:)

:o I don't think it's time to nail the coffin shut on Marion just yet. :lol:

améliemomo
Jul 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
euh j'ai pas tout comprit la lol, english expressions:p

mais c'est vraiment ce que je pense.

Aravane would be a better ambassador as she 's willing to play for france in fed cup.Something Bartoli doesnt.
it's something to be the best player of a country,you have some duty,obligations with that status.
Aravane can assume them. Not Bartoli.She has more credit imo.

Kipling
Jul 31st, 2010, 12:29 AM
Aravane is the new French Number One. The hard work is paying off!

Over the next few months, her ranking should continue to improve as the summer/fall was the weak part of her season last year, while others ranked above her had strong seasons. So relatively speaking, until Bali, Aravane has much more to gain by comparison.

améliemomo
Jul 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM
YES!:hearts:

so long I've been waiting for that.Since amélie stopped her amazing career in fact.
She really deserve it,she put such a hard work to do so.
Congrats to her and hope she'll do some nice results in the US Open series.

I read she plans to play Quebec after US Open too, that proves,she has some real ambitions.
She can imo.
Soooooooooo happy!!:bounce:

améliemomo
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
San Diego MD is out

Aravane plays Alisa Kleybanova in first round.

The russian who got beaten by slumpy ivanovic in straights at stanford.

Hopefully Aravane will be ready for the hardcourt season who begins there for her.

Allez!

Bероника
Aug 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
stupid draw :rolleyes: Two of my favourite players in the draw

Alisa is s dangerous player but as it's been said,she lost last week to slumping Ivanovic so she must be not be playing good.Let's see how Aravane starts her US hardcourt season,first match can always be a bit delicate.Such an interesting match!

And congrats to Aravane on becoming France's number 1 player,an important moment in the life of a player,to become the best from your country :yeah:

Kipling
Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
C'mon, Aravane, you can do it! Allez!

Drine
Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Second match on Stadium Court (first match at 11am local time) http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbup.gif
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2010/408/OP.pdf

GO ARAVANE http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/102.gif http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/19.gif

Kipling
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Over the next few months, her ranking should continue to improve as the summer/fall was the weak part of her season last year, while others ranked above her had strong seasons. So relatively speaking, until Bali, Aravane has much more to gain by comparison.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Aravane jumped two places this week to #18....

Drine
Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
6-2 5-7 6-3 for Kleybanova http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/cry.gif
Very bad match from Aravane against Kleybanova!!! It's been a while since she lost in a first round. Of course we didn't have the images so hard to tell what went wrong exactly but the stats especially on serve were not good http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/thumbdown.gif
Let's not forget that Alisa's a very talented and powerful player too. But still, disappointing and sad http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/cry2.gif

At least Aravane will have some time to practice until next tournament http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/tongue.gif

Kipling
Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
That was awful. She fought hard to get herself not only back in the match but up a break in the third, only to lose serve twice more after that. That's 0-3 against Kleybanova on hardcourt. It's a bad matchup for her as she is not as good a server, and on this surface that is tough to overcome. Oh well, on to Cincinnati. Play better, Aravane.

Stevecw
Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Bad loss, but can't say it was unexpected. Was a tough ask to beat Kleybs on hardcourt :(

améliemomo
Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
very BAD loss for aravane.:(

She must improve her serve and make less errors.

Go work hard for cincy!

Drine
Aug 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I can't believe Aravane's already out of Cincy http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/blink.gif
That is soooo disappointing, losing in three sets against Jovanovski.....come on.... http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/mad.gif

Stevecw
Aug 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh no, that was a bad bad loss. 6-4, 3-6, 4-6 :(
What happened there, really should not be losing to players like her. Aravane seems to be off form now :sobbing:

Bероника
Aug 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
:eek: :tape:

who the hell is that Jovanovski?

Stevecw
Aug 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
:eek: :tape:

who the hell is that Jovanovski?

Exactly!!! Its sad to be losing to players who are unheard of :( Not looking good for US Open :sad:

améliemomo
Aug 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
omg cant believe it:(

sucky aravane is back or what?this loss is soo bad.:tape:

Get your act together at montreal!

Bероника
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Aravane will face Kvitova in Montreal first round.

(16)Rezai FRA vs Kvitova CZE

I really hope her hard season starts to get better...Allez!! :D

améliemomo
Aug 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Get that win Aravane, ALLEZ!:bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hoping I can watch Aravane live this week :banana:

améliemomo
Aug 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
OMG Aravane beat kvitova 6-7 7-5 6-3!!!!:worship::eek::hearts:

very weird match where aravane seemed bothered ,her coach mouratoglou came and asked her what's happening,aravane didnt even answer.
Then she got injured, asked for the doctor.
It was very worryng,I knew she wont retire without fighting hard but God she fought so well to get the win!
she can be proud of her cause she never gave up even by playing on one leg.

Hope it's not something too serious and that she'll keep fighting that big.

Stevecw
Aug 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Check out the livrescore thread for our rundown of how it went.

Weird match, looked at end of 1st set that Aravane was too badly injured to go on. But somehow she kept going and got moving better as match moved on.
Somehow she won...but I bet tomorrow morning she will be in agony with the injury and i'd be surprised if she plays next round. Its really too big a risk so soon to US Open.

améliemomo
Aug 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah perhaps but aravane is a fighter and a competitor.

There must be some good care there in montreal to help her get better.
She wont play tomorrow,she'll get a rest then.

Kipling
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I think we're all proud of her. That was very brave, to go back out, especially after the first set, and play knowing you've got to play a lot more games and win two sets when you can barely run. I mean gosh, the doctor was even out there looking at her knee.

Stevecw
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm so so proud of her, she proved she had battling qualities that I never knew she could have today!! Amazed me by keeping going after the injury and losing 1st set TB. If that was me or 99% of ppl all would have stopped there and given up.
She has gained even more respect from me tonight, and I hope that won her a few new fans in Montreal.

What a player, what a fighter, always great entertainment....she really does deserve more fans. Only 2 of us here on livescore as she plays says a lot :( I've been on Ana livescore where u can't type as there will be 10 msgs as u post!! :)

Kipling
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
LOL. Yeah, some players have big fanclubs. I think Aravane is misunderstood by most. People are still harboring grudges because they think she said things she didn't. She still has a little trouble with English. And there is the translation problem. Plus, whenever a player breaks through and has successes, there are bound to be those resentful of the fact she beat their faves. She seems to be a lightning rod for criticism, for some reason. Every player questions line calls, just about every player screams "c'mon" or "allez" or "adje" or "vamos" or something else after big points.

She really is no different than anyone else out there. I like the fact that she is confident and knows she has a big game. 99% of players are beaten when they walk on the court against a high ranked opponent, but Aravane isn't afraid of anyone. That creates resentment, too.

I think Aravane has a good following in France and in Iran, and in Muslim countries in general. Her website gets a lot of comments of support.

Stevecw
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I love her game anyway, and love the way she plays. she is not popular here sadly.
I tried her site before but it was all in French...does she have an official English language version?? My French is basic but not enough to talk much!!!

Kipling
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I don't think there is an English version at this time. There was, but when it was made over, it was just in French. You can use the google translator though, and understand most of it.

Stevecw
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hmm yeah reckoned as much....she really should have someone work on an english language version to make her more popular.
I know some as I studied in Lyon for a year, but i still struggle at many parts!!!

Bероника
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
OMG Aravane beat kvitova 6-7 7-5 6-3!!!!:worship::eek::hearts:

very weird match where aravane seemed bothered ,her coach mouratoglou came and asked her what's happening,aravane didnt even answer.
Then she got injured, asked for the doctor.
It was very worryng,I knew she wont retire without fighting hard but God she fought so well to get the win!
she can be proud of her cause she never gave up even by playing on one leg.

Hope it's not something too serious and that she'll keep fighting that big.

that must have been a dramatic match to watch.I'm very happy and proud to see that Aravane's battle paid off.Hope she'll be ok for the rest of the tournament.Allez our adorable french warrior!!!! :bounce:

Stevecw,she might not have a million fans as other players,but sure she has some very loyal ones :)Most of us have been here for long and when things were not so bright as this year.Sometimes we don't have the possibility to follow all her matchs on livescores :sad: but I think if Aravane still visits this board,she can be proud of the support she gets in this place.Hopefully she never visits GM,I have not visited it in a long time,have things improved a little there?

Bероника
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hmm yeah reckoned as much....she really should have someone work on an english language version to make her more popular.
I know some as I studied in Lyon for a year, but i still struggle at many parts!!!
we can always try to help to translate some parts,just ask.If I have a bit of time,I don't mind trying to translate the parts you struggle with,and I'm sure the other francophone posters can help as well ;)

Kipling
Aug 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
that must have been a dramatic match to watch.I'm very happy and proud to see that Aravane's battle paid off.Hope she'll be ok for the rest of the tournament.Allez our adorable french warrior!!!! :bounce:

Stevecw,she might not have a million fans as other players,but sure she has some very loyal ones :)Most of us have been here for long and when things were not so bright as this year.Sometimes we don't have the possibility to follow all her matchs on livescores :sad: but I think if Aravane still visits this board,she can be proud of the support she gets in this place.Hopefully she never visits GM,I have not visited it in a long time,have things improved a little there?

I echo these sentiments. I would hate for her to read that garbage. Wasn't it Caro that started calling herself a "pusher" because of comments there? People can be so mean.

I wish I had your willpower, and could stay away from GM. But sometimes it's the first place to get news/updates on favorite players.

Bероника
Aug 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I echo these sentiments. I would hate for her to read that garbage. Wasn't it Caro that started calling herself a "pusher" because of comments there? People can be so mean.

I wish I had your willpower, and could stay away from GM. But sometimes it's the first place to get news/updates on favorite players.

GM is interesting to read reports from people who really go to tournaments and post their reports of photos and impressions there,this is indeed a great source to get first hand info

but for most threads commenting results,half of the commentaries are from people who have not really seen the match,or comment after following it on a livescore,and then there are people who are simply never happy or have never anything positive to say,you wonder why they even follow women's tennis in the first place :confused:

but it has to do more with lack of time than willpower,Brent :lol: but it's true that for Aravane threads,it's willpower,I know in advance I'm going to read some bullshit there so I prefere to spare me that ;)

Kipling
Aug 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM
GM is interesting to read reports from people who really go to tournaments and post their reports of photos and impressions there,this is indeed a great source to get first hand info

but for most threads commenting results,half of the commentaries are from people who have not really seen the match,or comment after following it on a livescore,and then there are people who are simply never happy or have never anything positive to say,you wonder why they even follow women's tennis in the first place :confused:

but it has to do more with lack of time than willpower,Brent :lol: but it's true that for Aravane threads,it's willpower,I know in advance I'm going to read some bullshit there so I prefere to spare me that ;)

I know! This bothers me a lot. Especially when it gets passed around and around as "true", and then the next thing you know, the rumor has become "fact" and the haters are saying the player only won because her opponent "hit 793 errors" or something equally stupid. Why just yesterday, somebody piled on at the end of the result thread for Aravane's match and wrote "Aravane's such a mess", obviously having no clue that she played most of that match hurt. Others called her a "choker". I don't mind people defending their player, or even making excuses, but when they pretend to know what happened from a livescore or from reading a result, that is really dumb.

I will never really understand why people put so much effort into hating a player. Some people in GM will go into a thread about a player they don't like and make half of the posts there, arguing with what everyone says or just making insults. It's like they can't be happy unless they are being negative all the time. I would much rather spend the time supporting the players I like. That's a lot more fun anyway.

Kipling
Aug 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wow--I think that whoever Aravane plays tomorrow, it's going to be a break party. She had 8 DF yesterday with no aces, and today's match between Zheng and Srebotnik looks about the same statistically. If Aravane plays, it could be a long, tough match.

Kipling
Aug 18th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Aravane v. Jie will be the second night match on Wednesday, probably no earlier than 8:30/9PM Montreal time. At least she's getting plenty of rest time for her leg.

Kipling
Aug 18th, 2010, 02:34 AM
OK, I finally got to hear what was going on during Aravane's injury timeout. THe trainer gave her the option of two different tape jobs, and Aravane said "don't make it too tight". The trainer called the doctor out to give her an anti-inflammatory and pain medication, which she took. As the trainer finished her tape job, she told Aravane "this (i.e., the meds) will take awhile to kick in."

She's probably going to need an MRI after this week just to make sure there isn't anything serious going on, but hopefully it isn't anything too bad.

Alizé Molik
Aug 18th, 2010, 04:35 AM
she needs to get better before USO so I hope she doesn't keep playing this week and make it worse.

Stevecw
Aug 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
2nd night match is very late for me :( But I'm still hoping she pulls out. She cannot be fully right, and its too big a risk to take so close to US Open.

Bероника
Aug 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
yeah,it's a very bad time for us in Europe :(

Kipling
Aug 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'll cheer extra hard for all of you, then. ;)

Don't be surprised if you wake up and see me "talking" to myself in the livescore thread for this match....lol. I do like both players, but I have to go with my One True Love for the win. :lol:

Allez, Aravane!!!!

Kipling
Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Any news about Aravane's knee? I hope she is going to be OK.

améliemomo
Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
like we use to say: "no news,good news" so let's hope she'll be ready for the open in N.Y

Alizé Molik
Aug 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
oui j'espere que tt est bien -________________-

Kipling
Aug 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Aravane's draw for the USO is Rybarikova, then likely Sprem, Sharapova (R3), Wozniacki (R4). It's not that bad. It's not the toughest draw I ever saw, for sure. As usual, the serve and the knee are the big question marks. If Aravane's healthy, she can get through that. Pova's getting lots of hype, but she hasn't played a complete match against anybody in 4 years. Lots of roller coaster matches where she can't miss for awhile, then can't hit the broad side of a barn. Her pace should be good for Aravane, as well. Actually, in that respect, the first three matches are all good matchups for her. She wouldn't have to play a puffballer until R4, it looks like.

Alizé Molik
Aug 27th, 2010, 04:47 AM
i'd love to see her get to wozniacki in the 4r because if she is on, she'll murder her Kvitova style. However! Fitness is still an issue and her form has been poor since Madrid basically..we'll see what happens.

améliemomo
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
yes better advance match after match.

Rybarikova first.

Allez Aravane!

Kipling
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think Aravane's form has been that bad, with the exception of the Jovanovski match, and even that she lost in three sets. She was playing well in Montreal, but clearly her movement and strength were compromised by her injury. She plays tight matches, but more often than not, she wins them unless something is wrong with her physically.

Stevecw
Aug 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Aravane is somebody you can never say whether its a good or bad draw for her!! :) She seems to beat better players and lose to weaker ones!! Rybarikova & Sprem of course should be beatable, but Aravane often tends to mess up v these kind of players. If she gets to round 3 then she is better than anyone at taking out players like Sharapova and Caro. She seems at her best when playing the big names.
I just will take it match by match and will be more than happy to see her past 1st round for starters.

Kipling
Aug 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Aravane is first up on court 11 tomorrow (Tuesday), 11AM local time. TV court. :)

Stevecw
Aug 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Aravane is first up on court 11 tomorrow (Tuesday), 11AM local time. TV court. :)

I see that, ah Aravane wrecks my head with early matches. She can easily lose this, as much as she cud beat top seed. Best of luck to her and do it in 2!!!!

Kipling
Aug 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I see that, ah Aravane wrecks my head with early matches. She can easily lose this, as much as she cud beat top seed. Best of luck to her and do it in 2!!!!

No one is saying it's going to be easy. Anybody can lose if they play badly. Look at Wozniak and Safina today--they got dissected. Aravane's "poor play" as of late has a perfectly rational explanation--a combination of fatigue and injury (wrist, knee), but critics always want to fit things like that into the familiar patterns they believe exist throughout life--i.e., "Aravane's inconsistent". Fact is, she has won as many tournaments as just about anyone this year and last year, so the "patterns" have changed.

With some time off now the past couple of weeks, she should be ready.

Drine
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Well, it could've been better but at least she won and that's all that matters http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/42.gif
Next opponent: Capra or Sprem

Kipling
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well, all in all, it's a good-value win, I think, because she got done in two what Sveta and JJ, playing at the same time and in the same conditions, couldn't. Rybarikova wasn't going to be easy, because she serves well, but in the end she hit some squirrely shots at critical times, and Aravane was better composed in the big moments. Not a great day serving, IMHO. I know Drine disagrees with that, but I thought the 9 DFs were rather unnecessary. She will need to pick it up to go far in this, but the good news is that her leg appears to be a non-issue.

Stevecw
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yep job done, have to be happy with a 2 set win here. Difficult opponent to face in 1st round, she did well! :)

Bероника
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM
:bounce: Well done,Aravane!! Most important at this point is get wins and confidence.A match against Sprem would be so interesting to watch!

améliemomo
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
agree with the fact that she's serving too many dfs. Forgeting that it must be a weapon too.
Rybarikova is a tricky player cause she mix it up with slice,volley,big serve
yeah not easy for a first round.

Well done even it was stressful especially in this second tie break.Leading 5-0 then down a set point at 5-6:o

Thank God she didnt crumble.

Kipling
Aug 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Well, it won't be Sprem, who went down to Capra (369) in R1. I hope Aravane doesn't start looking ahead to Shzzpva too soon.

Kipling
Aug 31st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hey, I didn't realize it, but Aravane and Yanina are teaming up to play "Mouratoglou Doubles" at the USO. The first opponents for Aranina/Yanavane are the Bondarenkos.

Alizé Molik
Aug 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM
good mental in this match. Aravane will always serve more DF against a big serving player, she HAS to go for her serve and be aggressive otherwise it may be hard to break and hard to hold serve and then the match gets away from her quickly.

Kipling
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM
That's a good point, but with Rybarikova struggling on her own serve, I think Aravane could have taken a little off her second serves, spun them in, and made it a bit easier.

Anyhow, I just noticed Aravane is also in the MIXED draw with Rajeev Ram, playing tomorrow. Jeez, Aravane, don't wear yourself out, please!

Kipling
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Aravane and Rajeev Ram just won their opening mixed doubles match, 6-2 6-4.

Stevecw
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Aravane and Rajeev Ram just won their opening mixed doubles match, 6-2 6-4.

Good stuff! Nice win :)

Kipling
Sep 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM
Aravane's first on the Grandstand court against Capra tomorrow! Then Yanavane takes on the Bondarenkos in the 4th match on court 14. Long day ahead!

Allez, Aravane!

Alizé Molik
Sep 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
the american commentators say it aeravayne rezay :help:

Kipling
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
the american commentators say it aeravayne rezay :help:

Really? Which ones? I thought the only dumbasses who got her name wrong were Na-Mug and Princess Fergie of Aldebaran.

Drine
Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
I can't believe Aravane lost to Capra http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/fight3.gif But this young girl is full of talent, she really surprised me today. She hasn't got exceptional shots but she's quite solid I think. Aravane made some stupid errors too, being impatient at times, but she looks really tired, she definitely needs a break. She played too much these last weeks http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/sad.gif
I hope to see her back on top of her form soon http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/smile.gif

Bероника
Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Just found out she lost to another unknown player :sad: Can't believe it :sobbing:

Stevecw
Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Oh no, I can't believe she lost this :sobbing:
Really thought she'd have no problem with this one :(

améliemomo
Sep 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
new american Goat capra got beaten 0 and 0 by sharapova making aravane loss even more ugly as this girl game.:tape::help:

Hopefully aravane will bounce back in the next weeks.In Asia.

Kipling
Sep 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/cid374894-rezai-change-de-mains.html

:help:

Great. Aravane goes from outside the top 100 to #16 in the world, and decides to dump her coach..... :rolleyes:

Stevecw
Sep 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/cid374894-rezai-change-de-mains.html

:help:

Great. Aravane goes from outside the top 100 to #16 in the world, and decides to dump her coach..... :rolleyes:

Oh no, this is bad news I reckon. He has obviously done something right to make her improve as she has in last few months.
Hope Aravane knows what she is doing here, as this could end up being a disaster of a move :eek:

Kipling
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Oh no, this is bad news I reckon. He has obviously done something right to make her improve as she has in last few months.
Hope Aravane knows what she is doing here, as this could end up being a disaster of a move :eek:

It's being glossed over as a mutual decision to change her specific coach, not camp. In other words, she is continuing to train at Mouratoglou, with "input" from Patrick, but under the direct supervision of Mehdi, who was with her at Bastad. I'm not sure what to think of it, frankly. She was understandably disappointed with her US hardcourt campaign, but IMO that had much more to do with injuries and fatigue than lack of preparation. I guess time will tell, but right now, I see it as a step backward. Under Patrick's eye, she improved her fitness, tactics, serve and consistency, even though the latter were not on display this summer. I hope she realizes it was hard work and training, and not pizza, that helped her improve.

Stevecw
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
It's being glossed over as a mutual decision to change her specific coach, not camp. In other words, she is continuing to train at Mouratoglou, with "input" from Patrick, but under the direct supervision of Mehdi, who was with her at Bastad. I'm not sure what to think of it, frankly. She was understandably disappointed with her US hardcourt campaign, but IMO that had much more to do with injuries and fatigue than lack of preparation. I guess time will tell, but right now, I see it as a step backward. Under Patrick's eye, she improved her fitness, tactics, serve and consistency, even though the latter were not on display this summer. I hope she realizes it was hard work and training, and not pizza, that helped her improve.

I def see it as a step backwards too, cannot see see this being good for her whatever way I look at it :(
I fear she is making a critical error here at the time where she needs to kick on and work on this years progress...chances are now she could fall back. :(

Alizé Molik
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Or, maybe Mehdi will put a little bit more strategy into her game and take down her ballbasher instincts a little bit more. The fact of the matter is that she needs too much time on her swings to ever be competitive outside of clay, where she has time to take giant swings at the ball. She needs to keep improving her fitness and add some defensive parts to her game as well. If she was able to hit winners out of position or just keep the ball in play long enough to get herself set up to hit a winner it would make matches against players like Kerber or Capra a lot easier.

Kipling
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Or, maybe Mehdi will put a little bit more strategy into her game and take down her ballbasher instincts a little bit more. The fact of the matter is that she needs too much time on her swings to ever be competitive outside of clay, where she has time to take giant swings at the ball. She needs to keep improving her fitness and add some defensive parts to her game as well. If she was able to hit winners out of position or just keep the ball in play long enough to get herself set up to hit a winner it would make matches against players like Kerber or Capra a lot easier.

I disagree with the part in bold. How do you explain her success in Bali, which is arguably the fastest court on tour? Or the fact that she beat Wozniacki on grass at Eastbourne? Or reached the SF at Birmingham? Or the SF at Sydney this year? Or her runs at Auckland in the past? Or the 4R at the US Open in 2006?

I think your statement is an overgeneralization based on a few poor results on the US hardcourts this summer, which could be due to any number of things--injuries, overplaying, distractions...anything.

Better movement is always helpful, but it isn't the big problem holding her back, as she hits very well on the run. Her big problem at the moment is her serve, which gets her in trouble from the beginning of her serve games. She is having to work much too hard to fight her way back into service games. She was serving much better in Madrid, where she was making life much easier by dictating points from the first swing, and even at RG, before hurting her wrist at Birmingham, so I hope she can return to that form.

Tactically, Aravane must hit hard, must dictate. She gives away too much of an advantage in height and reach to play Wozniackitennis. This style of play always leads to errors, but she must be persistent with it, because otherwise she really has no chance to be competitive.