PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards, who will they be?

iGOAT
Nov 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
1. Justine Hénin (confirmed)
2. CoCo Vandewegh (US wildcard)
3. Stephanie Cohen-Aloro (French wildcard)
4. Sesil Karatantcheva (Asian wildcard)
5. Casey Dellacqua (playoff winner)
6. Jarmila Groth (Australian wildcard)
7. Olivia Rogowska (Australian wildcard)
8. Alicia Molik (Australian wildcard)

Those are the singles main draw wildcards.

hellas719
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
There is a US play-off ;)
Then probably Mladenovic, Lertcheewakarn, Rogowska, Adamczak, Molik, and Wejnert ;)

Sombrerero loco
Nov 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
good luck for rogowska in the first round...

TyroneB
Nov 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
i think they should be........

1 Justine Henin
2 Kristina Mladenovic
3 Christina McHale
4 Nopawarn Lertcheewakarn
5 Alicia Molik
6 Jarmila Groth
7 Olivia Rogowska
8 Casey Dellacqua

qwc

1 moore
2 wejnert
3 holland
4 sumner
5 bobusic
6 golds
7 mirkovic
8 s. ferguson

Randy H
Nov 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Quite a tough year for them really...

I'd say:

Justine Henin
French WC
US WC
Asian WC
Playoff winner (likely Rogowska or Molik)

last 3...
Rogowska or Molik (whichever of them doesn't win the playoff)
Dellacqua
Groth

For qualifying:

Jessica Moore
Shannon Golds
Marija Mirkovic
Monika Wejnert
Bojana Bobuscic
Isabella Holland
Sally Peers

not sure who the final one would go to, maybe a surprise pick

W!MBLEDON
Nov 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM
the asian wildcard is not invitational

it is given to the top-ranked asian player who did not make the main draw (currently karatantcheva)

Kylealex919
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well we know Coco is going after she won the US playoff.:D

And I would say that Alicia Molik is probably favored to win the Austrialian playoff probably over Rogowska:hearts:

They need to give Dellacqua a chance to prove that her rise in the rankings wasn't a fluke and that she can still play after her injury so I expect she'll recieve one just out of pure interest. :angel:

Then I think they should look over Moore for once (she's always given a wildcard by them, an she never does anything), and look to a lesser known Aussie like Shannon Golds or Marija Mirkovic.

The French wildcard will most likely end up going to Mladenovic, but maybe someone else should get a direct entry instead...like...Olivia Sanchez (trying to get her game back together) or Irena Pavlovic (who has been playing ITF Tournaments in Austrailia lately) or even Mathilde Johansson who has all the potential in the world, but would have to enter the qualifying draw.

And I guess if the Asian wildcard is just given to the top Asian player who doesn't make the main draw, then as of right now that would be...Sesil Karatancheva. This is great news for her, I think she has a ton of potential and needs to just regain that confidence and her game will soar back into the top 100 for sure.

cn ireland
Dec 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
^^ Russia is in Europe so that excludes Ivanova, Panova & Lapushchenkova;)!

Iceland
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Kristina won't apply to the WC, she wants to play qualies this year.

NA-GOAT
Dec 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sesil Asian :sobbing:

Kylealex919
Dec 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Kristina won't apply to the WC, she wants to play qualies this year.

That's probably best for her. She's young and wants to gain experience and I feel the qualification process is all part of gaining that necessary experience.

So who will recieve the French wildcard then?

hdfb
Dec 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Well going by results so far, Dellacqua would get a WC over Rogowska if both fail to win the play-off. Dellacqua shows that experience brings you through.

OZTENNIS
Dec 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I think the Aussie wildcards will go to;
Olivia Rogowska
Alicia Molik
Monika Wejnert
Casey Dellacqua

Provided Groth can sneak into MD

iGOAT
Dec 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Updated, 3 are now definite, and I have to say Molik is probably very close as well.

iGOAT
Dec 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Oh, and I think Wickmayer will probably get one as well.

iGOAT
Dec 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I read the tournament director said Yanina won't get one, so I guess not ;).

JOCHEBEL
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I read the tournament director said Yanina won't get one, so I guess not ;).

:mad: He is mad.

I hope Olivia gets a WC. She deserves it after a great challenge against Safina last US Open

cn ireland
Dec 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Updated, 3 are now definite, and I have to say Molik is probably very close as well.

Who is the 3rd definite after Henin & Coco?

W!MBLEDON
Dec 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM
1. Dellacqua (play-off winner)
2. Henin (discretionary)
3. Molik (discretionary)
4. Rogowska (discretionary)
5. Groth OR Wejnert (discretionary)
6. Vandeweghe (play-off winner)
7. Pavlovic? (discretionary)
8. Karatantcheva (next Asian in)

Jorn
Dec 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
3 wildcards left, they will be decided next week...

CooCooCachoo
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Groth over Wejnert, surely :o

Rafka2
Dec 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Groth is Slovaquian ........

Europe rocks
Dec 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
As of next year she'll be able to represent Australia

serenus_2k8
Dec 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I would expect Laura to get a WC into qualies, or perhaps another Brit, not sure who else. I would love it to be Laura, Broady or Heather...dnt mind which

W!MBLEDON
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
i would have disagreed with you if robson wasn't playing hopman cup... i have a funny feeling she'll be getting a QWC

W!MBLEDON
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:12 PM
As of next year she'll be able to represent Australia

yep, in fact she is already representing australia now, she just hasn't played any tournaments since :p

serenus_2k8
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Yeh Hopman Cup should help raise her profile in Australia and didnt Rogowska get a WC into Wimbledon qualies?

Pasta-Na
Dec 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
that young thai player'll get the asian wildcard i think. :shrug:

Rafito.
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
I think the 3 remaining wildcards will go to Molik, Rogowska and Wejnert.
Apprently Wickmayer wont get one into the MD, she is going to have to qualify.

M.P
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:25 AM
who is going to get asian wildcard

HOS
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM
think they should be........

1 Justine Henin (Confirmed)
2 France (allocation confirmed): If Kristina Mladenovic doesn't want it?? I would have said Fedossova or Pavlovic, maybe Huck as younger players. For me- more hope than anything- either Severine, Camille, Steph Foretz or Mathilde
3 USA- Coco (confirmed)
4 Asia WC : not sure how this is allocated, no more Asian championships? Last year Yuan wsn't the highest asian not in the main draw and she got it? So really not sure. Maybe Sesil?
5 Casey- Won play off- confirmed
6 Jarmila Groth
7 Olivia Rogowska
8 Molik

If ITF came up with a deal for Wickmayer- take out Groth.I think Wickmayer should be at the top of the 'next in' list. Only fair and I am sure someone will withdraw anyway.

Groth close to MD if any withdrawals, so next in either Wejernt or Moore.

Yeah, so Monika and Jess (mainly b'c of winning a round last year) are other choices.
Think Soph F has had her chance- she had a good year though- maybe outsider.
No for Admaczak (inj at moment yeah? No Oz open playoff)Again, had a good year but don't think so.

Holland, Peers, Mirkovic....well if they went for youth- yes but can't see them taking Molik's place.

Although she had a great year, cutting her ranking heaps, Golds won't get one. Older than the ones listed unfortunately.
Therefore QD WC's
qwc

Isabella Holland
Sally Peers
Monika Wejnert
Marija Mirkovic
Shannon Golds
Tara Calderwood
Emelyn Starr
Laura Robson

I would give Doubles wildcards to these teams:
(helping some who have missed out of singles WC)
1. Dellacqua -Molik
2. Holland Peers
3. Adamczak- Kriz
4. Ferguson-Groth
5. Moore- Rogowska
6. Mirkovic Wejernt
Do they give 7?
They shouldn't here!
If so maybe Wlodarczak-Calderwood??

Rafito.
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
I asked the Australian Open officials and they said the 3 remaining wildcards are going to Aussies. So if Groth pulls out Wickmayer will not be getting it. She is going to qualify, if she wants to play 2010 AO.

serenus_2k8
Dec 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
I asked the Australian Open officials and they said the 3 remaining wildcards are going to Aussies. So if Groth pulls out Wickmayer will not be getting it. She is going to qualify, if she wants to play 2010 AO.

I think Aussies should get em, I wouldnt wanna see the Wimb WCs going to other players when deserving Brits are forced to miss out :shrug: One of my favourite parts of Wimbledon is watching the Brits early on and wondering if one can create a story, so I dont blame the Aussies for doing the same!

iGOAT
Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Updated, four out of the eight are now confirmed, and Molik is almost definite as well.

Randy H
Dec 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Groth might get the final spot (I fully expect Alicia and Olivia to get 2 of those 3), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she is passed up for Wejnert. Unfortunately Jarmila's injury has put her out for quite some time, and officials really have nothing to gauge whether or not she will be prepared at this point.

As for qualifying wildcards, I'm going with:

Laura Robson
Shannon Golds
Sally Peers
Marija Mirkovic
Isabella Holland
Jessica Moore
Alenka Hubacek
Bojana Bobusic

Only other players I see getting in there otherwise, are Ashling Sumner and Viktoria Rajicic

ozfan44
Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Groth might get the final spot (I fully expect Alicia and Olivia to get 2 of those 3), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she is passed up for Wejnert. Unfortunately Jarmila's injury has put her out for quite some time, and officials really have nothing to gauge whether or not she will be prepared at this point.

As for qualifying wildcards, I'm going with:

Laura Robson
Shannon Golds
Sally Peers
Marija Mirkovic
Isabella Holland
Jessica Moore
Alenka Hubacek
Bojana Bobusic

Only other players I see getting in there otherwise, are Ashling Sumner and Viktoria Rajicic

Replace Robson with Summner and i agree...although i reckon jess has a shot at getting in on her own ranking!!

Freakan
Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Replace Robson with Summner and i agree...although i reckon jess has a shot at getting in on her own ranking!!

Both Jess and Shanon should get in directly.

Rafito.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I love Sumner! I hope she gets a Wildcard!!!

serenus_2k8
Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM

Rogowska got a QWC into Wimb, and Im positive that must have been due to a deal between TA and LTA. If not, they should repay the favour anyway....but since Laura is the only Brit heading to Australia without planning on playing the AO, it would make sense they would give it to her. I think they would be happy to tbh since shes quite well known, popular and was born in Aus after all.

TS
Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Alicia Molik and Olivia Rogowska were officially granted wildcards this morning. As expected.

One left.

simonsaystennis
Dec 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
What do you think the chances are of Australia and the USTA making a deal for Alison Riske or Christina McHale to get a QWC in exchange for one into the US Open? I really hope they do that...

Rafito.
Dec 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
What do you think the chances are of Australia and the USTA making a deal for Alison Riske or Christina McHale to get a QWC in exchange for one into the US Open? I really hope they do that...

Is McHale in the Qualifying?

TS
Dec 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Slim to none.

cn ireland
Dec 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Alicia Molik and Olivia Rogowska were officially granted wildcards this morning. As expected.

One left.

Good choices:yeah:!

I'd say Moore will get the last one.

When will the French & Asian Wcs be announced?

saniapower
Dec 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Is it true that asian WC will go to an asian player who is below 23 years?

iGOAT
Dec 24th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Okay list updated, only two are TBD then. Probably Moore and Irena Pavlovic. ^^I don't think so, I'm pretty sure it's just the highest-ranked Asian who doesn't get in.

iGOAT
Dec 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Rogowska got a QWC into Wimb, and Im positive that must have been due to a deal between TA and LTA. If not, they should repay the favour anyway....but since Laura is the only Brit heading to Australia without planning on playing the AO, it would make sense they would give it to her. I think they would be happy to tbh since shes quite well known, popular and was born in Aus after all.
:sobbing: this is not how it works. Wimbledon is run by AELTC, not LTA, so LTA doesn't decide the wildcards. The AELTC wouldn't have made a deal, it just gives wildcards to promising young players often, which Rogowska is.

CooCooCachoo
Dec 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Obvious choices with Molik and Rogowska.

Pasta-Na
Dec 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
who got the asian wc? :awww:

W!MBLEDON
Dec 27th, 2009, 03:03 AM
sesil karatantcheva

Pasta-Na
Dec 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
sesil karatantcheva

oh no :o

Ivan.
Dec 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
sesil karatantcheva

I hope so ! Can you tell me you'r source ?

Andreas
Dec 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That is bullshit :lol: She's not even Asian, only for pay. And it seems really weird that they would award a druggo with a wildcard :unsure:

Noctis
Dec 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
She got an Asian Wc?
She probaly lose 1st round.

iGOAT
Dec 28th, 2009, 04:02 AM
who got the asian wc? :awww:
First post :o.

It automatically goes to the highest ranked Asian, which is Karatantcheva.

serenus_2k8
Dec 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
:sobbing: this is not how it works. Wimbledon is run by AELTC, not LTA, so LTA doesn't decide the wildcards. The AELTC wouldn't have made a deal, it just gives wildcards to promising young players often, which Rogowska is.

I disagree. Rogowska isnt promising enough to get one off her own merits. There are plenty of other Brits that could have gone to so I think if there wasnt some sort of deal, Wimbledon is just bloody stupid!

Dawson.
Dec 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
If Robson does get one, I doubt it will be due to a deal between the two slams. That's not how Wimbledon works. If anything it'll be due her playing Hopman Cup, reaching last year's junior final (Pervak is already in qualies... if she decides to play this time) and maybe that she was actually born in Melbourne.

Either way I wouldn't care. I just want her to get one!

cn ireland
Dec 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
First post :o.

It automatically goes to the highest ranked Asian, which is Karatantcheva.

Has Karatantcheva been moved into the MD yet on the EL?

Andreas
Dec 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM

I don't think the wildcard has been announced yet...

iGOAT
Dec 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I disagree. Rogowska isnt promising enough to get one off her own merits. There are plenty of other Brits that could have gone to so I think if there wasnt some sort of deal, Wimbledon is just bloody stupid!
I think it's more desperate. They have some thing about Brits needing to be ranked high enough (:tape:), but this tennis club in London run by old fogeys isn't making deals with TA I promise you.

iGOAT
Dec 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Not on mine, but neither have any of the others.

serenus_2k8
Dec 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I think it's more desperate. They have some thing about Brits needing to be ranked high enough (:tape:), but this tennis club in London run by old fogeys isn't making deals with TA I promise you.

Brits need to be sufficiently ranked, yes, its a way of motivating them. I'll take your promise with a pinch of salt, as you are merely assuming that you know the ins and outs of how the system works. Even if there is no deal, TA may still wish to return the favour, since one of the players they awarded a WC to was also awarded one into Wimb, the reverse would be nice if TA wish to see more of their players treated the same.

MLDB and Lertcheewakarn (sp) were obvious non-brit recipients, Rogowska was not. If it isnt a coincidence that shes from a GS nation then OK, but I think Laura has a shot at the QWC.

Inger67
Jan 4th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I definitely think Laura Robson should get a QWC. That girl is AMAZING at such a young age. I really hope she can break through the WTA this year :rocker2:

Dawson.
Jan 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
This LTA article seems to think Laura is playing qualifying. I'm guessing they already know she has already been offered a wild card ;)

http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-items/2009-12-04/2010-Australian-Open-Preview/

iGOAT
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Okay, just one left TBD. No good candidates at this point IMO as Moore is playing shitty, Wejnert isn't doing too great either, and they seem reluctant about Groth, but we'll find out soon. I guess Jarka is probably most likely.

cn ireland
Jan 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
When will the Asian WC be officially announced?

iGOAT
Jan 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM
There's no announcement because it just goes to the highest player not to get in.

^bibi^
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
did they announce any of the QWC apart from Robson ??

iGOAT
Jan 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
List updated. Screw all the people who said Sesil wouldn't, I told you it was just the highest ranked Asian :o.

Groth got the last Aussia one.

cn ireland
Jan 13th, 2010, 06:27 PM
QWCs went to:

Jessica Moore
Shannon Golds
Marija Mirkovic
Sally Peers
Monika Wejnert
Laura Robson
Ashling Sumner
Victoria Rajicic