PDA

View Full Version : Chat Thread for Tamira Fans

hellas719
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
The offseason is so boring :yawn:

I thought I'd start a chat thread for us so we can all get to know each other and have fun during the boring offseason :p

Let's start by introducing ourselves :bounce:

I'm Andrew, I'm Greek, but I live in New York. I enjoy watching basically every sport (except auto racing, golf, and bowling :yawn:). I wouldn't really say I follow everything though :shrug:. I follow basketball and football (soccer) very closely (and of course tennis :bounce:). I like basically all types of music (Greek, pop, hip-hop, R &B, most Eurovision), except for hard rock/heavy metal :p. I love food :hearts:. I like Greek, Mexican, Texas BBQ, Italian, some Chinese, some German, etc. How about you guys?

Aravanecaravan
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Name: Brent
Hometown: Melbourne, Florida, USA

I DO like golf and auto racing (Indycars and some F1), but agree with you on bowling--lol.

Music: anything except rap and hip-hop. Not too fond of head-banging heavy metal, either.
Favorite food: Chicken Marsala. Also like Japanese/Thai/Mexican/Italian/Greek/Lebanese & other Middle Eastern

Other interests: flight sims, computer adventure games, (American) football, reading, writing, Miyabi Isshiki and b( . )( . )bs. (lol).

I like all tennis, but most of the men's matches I collect are from the Connors-McEnroe-Borg era. For some reason I just like the tennis better from back then. Most of the matches I watch in person are women's.

hellas719
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Melbourne? :hearts:
I went there earlier this year :p

I kinda like rap/hip-hop, but not always :p

Who is your favorite NFL team? I root for the Jets ;)

I like writing too ;)

*I see that we have some faves in common (well, I have so many faves so... :lol:), like Mimi, Sori, and Ana.
Why don't you ever post in Sorana's forum? I post there a lot. I don't post that much in Ana's forum though :p

Aravanecaravan
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
You visted Melbourne? Cool. Do you have family here? The reason I ask is that hardly anyone comes to Melbourne just to visit for the fun of it. It's a pretty sleepy town. I've only been to NY once, and that was when I was about 3 or 4 years old, so I don't remember it. Hopefully, one of these years, I'll be able to go for a few days of the US Open.

I like the Jets, too. They have cool looking uniforms. I was a huge Dolphins fan for years, but after they got rid of Shula and Marino, I stopped liking them.

My interest in Sorana is pretty recent. I knew almost nothing about her before Miami this year, and someone asked me to take some photos of her, and when I did I was smitten. ;) Since then, I've watched her matches more and more and decided that I like her game, too. She has a much better serve than a lot of young players around her age.

hellas719
Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
No family, just went there for the hell of it :p
It's really nice, but there's like no nightlife, but I went with my family so I wasn't really looking for that stuff :lol:

Yeah, I've only been a fan of Sorana since USO 2008, but I've really grown to like her more than other faves of mine ;)
I like Olaru for example, and I've liked her since USO 2007, but I like Sorana more :shrug:

hellas719
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Bump! :p

hellas719
Feb 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
:bounce:
Anyone following the Olympics?

Aravanecaravan
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I've been OD-ing on Olympics coverage. The Nordic Combined today was great. The luge, I think, was impacted by the move of the start line, because Zoeggler is the best pilot and if he had more track to make up for the bad starts I think he would have done better.

The speedskating on Day 1 was awesome. Both long and short track. I think there's going to be huge problems with weather all the way through the games.

hellas719
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I was so thrilled to see the Koreans bump into each other, and then the Americans stealing silver and bronze :devil:
I can't believe that Canada beat Slovakia 18-0 in women's hockey :speakles:
The moguls event is actually really exciting :cool:
And RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili :sad:

Aravanecaravan
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, the Koreans botched a sweep in the 1500. Ohno and Celski were fortunate, though Ohno did skate a pretty good tactical race, trying to lead. Hope he can win at least 1 gold.

Downhill is today, supposedly. If the weather holds up. I'd like to see Bode pull out a great run and go down in a blaze of glory...

hellas719
Feb 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Did you just see the women's cross country race? They say Kalla (Sweden) has the best time so far and will win the gold unless an unseeded skier shocks everyone. It was exciting, between her, an Estonian, a Fin, a Norwegian, a Pole, and an Italian ;)

Aravanecaravan
Feb 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm at work. Planning on watching it tonight courtesy of the DVR...

Aravanecaravan
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
More short track tonight. Hope they don't show that clip of Celski almost severing his artery again. That was pretty gross.

Davis goes for gold in the 1000m speedspaking. Vonn in the women's downhill. Could be a good day for the USA.

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
We keep coming so close in curling :mad:
Yesterday our men lost 7-5 to Germany or something, and our women lost 8-7 or something to Japan :fiery:
I also heard that our men lost in extra ends to Norway, but I didn't see it :p
And now our women are down 4-3 to Germany :scared:
Go USA! :cheer:

Aravanecaravan
Feb 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Wow--did I really type 'speedspaking'? :lol:

Aravanecaravan
Feb 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Someday I should really try to watch curling. I always figured it was "bowling on ice". To spice it up, they outta have automated obstacles like ducks or beavers that the stone has to dodge...

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't even notice that you said speedskaping :lol:

I really want to try curling too...I don't think there's anywhere close to me though :unsure:
I really want Greece to have a team...I think they'd be good but I don't know why :lol:
USA's women just lost 6-5 to Germany, another really close loss for us :hysteric:

EDIT-I just looked it up, and the Greek men do have a curling team. Ranked 33 I think but I closed the window and forgot what it says. No women team though :p

Aravanecaravan
Feb 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
So what is the US team's curling record at these games? What channel are you getting that on? I don't think NBC has shown any curling or hockey.

OK, so you know that Greece has a team, and that it isn't a real world power. If you practice, maybe you could try out for the team (do you have Greek ancestry?)

I was going to try this once because I was born in Trinidad--you know, use my dual citizenship to compete for Trinidad in an Olympics--but then I found out that "girlwatching" wasn't an Olympic sport....

hellas719
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:14 AM
So what is the US team's curling record at these games? What channel are you getting that on? I don't think NBC has shown any curling or hockey.

OK, so you know that Greece has a team, and that it isn't a real world power. If you practice, maybe you could try out for the team (do you have Greek ancestry?)

I was going to try this once because I was born in Trinidad--you know, use my dual citizenship to compete for Trinidad in an Olympics--but then I found out that "girlwatching" wasn't an Olympic sport....

1. CNBC and MSNBC also show curling. The women are 0-2 and the men are 0-3 and all matches were EXTREMELY close and the U.S. made some minor mistakes but they could easily be 2-0 and 3-0...

2. I can train and try out, but I've never even tried curling before...And I am eligible for Greek citizenship and I am working on my paperwork :D

3. :lol: at girlwatching :rolls:. I'd win the gold if it were an Olympic sport :haha:

Aravanecaravan
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
1. CNBC and MSNBC also show curling. The women are 0-2 and the men are 0-3 and all matches were EXTREMELY close and the U.S. made some minor mistakes but they could easily be 2-0 and 3-0...

2. I can train and try out, but I've never even tried curling before...And I am eligible for Greek citizenship and I am working on my paperwork :D

3. :lol: at girlwatching :rolls:. I'd win the gold if it were an Olympic sport :haha:

Thanks. If you like it, and think you would like to be on a team, you can probably find some type of club or league. Everybody has to start somewhere. Do you live in a big city? Big cities usually have everything, lol. All it would take is an ice rink and enough people who were interested.

Big day for the US yesterday. Three golds! So happy that Vonn won after all the injuries. :worship:

hellas719
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I live in New York City, so yeah ;)
And the US men and women bost lost 7-6 to Denmark today :tears:

hellas719
Feb 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The US finally won a match in curling :woohoo:
The women barely beat Russia :D

hellas719
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Olympics almost over :sad:

Aravanecaravan
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Sucked that Ohno got DQ'd last night. He skated a great race in the SF.

hellas719
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I am so upset with myself :sad:
Last night I took a nap at about 6 PM and just woke up a few hours ago :help:

hellas719
May 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Great win for your fave Aravane today :yeah:
Eleni has beaten Justine twice :cool:

Aravanecaravan
May 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I am so happy about it! I was hoping maybe Aravane could take a set, but to win was totally amazing. :)

Just hope she can back it up with a good performance in R2.

Tamira playing challengers...... :(

hellas719
May 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I can't stand Madrid! I hate the venue. Why all the big stadiums when it's always empty? :o
And the stadiums are hideous. What's with the walls? :spit:
And all the top players are losing quickly. Already Justine, Vika, Masha, Dinara, Sveta, ...
And Serena barely won today.

Aravanecaravan
May 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Well, for me Madrid is quite interesting. I enjoy seeing the younger players pull off upsets and do well. No one likes to see their faves lose, but how else are you going to find new faves to watch? Maybe the guard is about to change....

Besides, Aravane has a great chance to do well here if she keeps going the way she's been playing.

hellas719
May 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I like upsets, but not when there's too many like here :o

hellas719
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:36 AM
I'm so excited for US Open Qualies this week :cheer:

barabanschikova_fan
Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, I will be in NYC for the US open. Flying very early on Saturday, will stop by for the pratice, same Sunday and will be there until Friday or later if Mimi reach 4th round and more. Then back home for few days and then, driving to Quebec City to see Mimi defend her title!!! Too bad she missed Toronto as I was already on my way there when I got the call but too bad, let's hope she will be at 100% for 1st round.

hellas719
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Happy Holidays everyone! :aparty: