PDA

View Full Version : At their best, who's better? Caro or Jeca?

venusallday
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Similar playing styles...
US Open finalists only to lose in straights...
Pushers...

What you think?

Roookie
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Jelena is not a pusher :rolleyes:. She has an all-court game.

Titles
11 > 5

H2H
3-0

Highest Ranking
Number One > Number four.

Basically Jelena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caro. :wavey:

skanky~skanketta
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Quit trolling.

Beat
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM
how boring, this thread.

any anyway, don't you know these kind of threads must be called "Peak X vs. Peak Y" accorind to tennisforum-law no. 312???

SELVEN
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
today Jelena
tomorrow :scared:

AnywhereButHome
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Caro for sure . :p

Bobisa
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I think this is a stupid comparison ... Jelena is better of course !!!!!!

Nikkiri
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Serious question?

Brena
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Are you serious?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Caro has a better court-sense than Jelena. But then they go in their pushing 'I am a wall' mode where Jelena is slightly better because of her movement.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think we have an idea of how good Jelena is. I don't think she is going to substantially improve upon what she has already displayed in her career but she has certainly demonstated she can be very good. Certainly I wouldn't rule out her winning a Slam at some point in the future. As for Caroline, well it is still very much early days for her in her career and I think we need another 2-3 years before it becomes clear how successful she is likely to be. Certainly it would seem very possible, even likely, that we have yet to see the best of Wozniacki. Therefore....

Only time will tell... is the only sensible answer to the thread question.

Anabelcroft
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Jelena,by far...

Nacho
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I like both, but Jelena is more complete

doktor
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
i'm not really sure, i said Jelena, because we have seen what she's capable of, but caro still has a long way to go...

Pops Maellard
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Jeca is not a pusher. Her backhand is much better than Caro's, and she doesn't just moonball her forehands either. Just a better player, both to watch and in general.

miffedmax
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
JJ has a better game, but Caro might be mentally tougher. Although that's not exactly saying a lot, as probably the only major players with weaker heads than JJ are Dinara and the one that once sported the most perfect bangs in the world.

ZODIAC
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Caro has a lot working for her,she is young and is learning fast,she is hotter ,more likeable and has a straight nose,clear skin..she looks so fresh with no plastic surgery....she doesnt need surgery to look good and the hottest player ...no comparison at all 25yrs and 19yrs lol.

danieln1
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Caro reached the slam final and a better ranking at 19, Jelena only manage to do that at 23 or 24 whatever... Caroline has more variety to her game, something Jelena hasnīt, and at her best she is better than the serb

Of course in the poll jelena will win because a lot of people here hate Caroline, something inconceivable and absurd to happen, and ridiculous

Lunaris
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Caroline has more variety to her game, something Jelena hasnīt, and at her best she is better than the serb
:help:

volta
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
seriously?

Ellery
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Are you serious? :scared:

Joana
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Caro reached the slam final and a better ranking at 19, Jelena only manage to do that at 23 or 24 whatever... Caroline has more variety to her game, something Jelena hasnīt, and at her best she is better than the serb

Going by that logic Vaidisova should be #1 by now.
And nobody has variety and that word should be banned on this board.

Jorn
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ithink Caro at her best will get a better result/score than in last meeting...

Safe-From-Harm
Nov 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Jelena-the greatest defend player of all time!
And not a pusher.

ZODIAC
Nov 13th, 2009, 01:32 PM
at 25yrs time is running out for Jankovic whereas Caro has just started her career ...time is on her side to be one of the best in tennis.

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Titles
11 > 5

H2H
3-0

Highest Ranking

Yeah Jelena really slices and volleys.

Anyways, Jelena is better due to the fact she is effective on a surface other than hardcourt unlike Caroline.

zvonarevarulz
Nov 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Jj.

Optima
Nov 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Of course in the poll jelena will win because a lot of people here hate Caroline, something inconceivable and absurd to happen, and ridiculous

lol no.

Roookie
Nov 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM

:hug:

AcesHigh
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
JJ and it's not even remotely close in any way.

JJ at her best can take down Kim, Serena, Venus, pretty much anyone not named Henin. Caro has to hope for an offday from higher ranked opponents.

Caro might be better in time though. She's very young and seems to have potential.

delicatecutter
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Is this a joke thread?

Jeca, and it's not even close.

madmax
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM

JJ at her best can take down Kim, Serena, Venus, pretty much anyone not named Henin. Caro has to hope for an offday from higher ranked opponents.

Caro might be better in time though. She's very young and seems to have potential.

JJ at her best is still inferior to Sharapova anytime she plays her, not only Henin...and her best is still not very impressive, compared to other players with much bigger games. She lacks weapons and variety to be Slam winner;)

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Jelena can not take down everyone except Henin.

Optima
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Jelena can not take down everyone except Henin.

She has :shrug:

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Not when they were playing well I meant.

DragonFlame
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Of course jelena's better when at her best right now. They are in totally different phases in their career. Even said that, caroline had by far the better year between them. Which isn't good in jelena jankovic's case... She hasn't shown her best for a whole year.

Jankovic should be in the highlight of her tenniscareer right now, yet she's not performing anywhere.. This is NOT a good thing, she's not even close to last year's form. This makes you wonder about her...

Caroline on the other hand is still in the first phase of her career and already ended a season top4.(yes, a VERY weak season, but she still did it) I think it's obvious her best is yet to come, but we'll have to see how she will handle the first real setbacks.. Right now she's mentally strong, but can she keep it up? I think it's obvious she won't end top4 next year with all these great players coming back, lets see how she'll handle a 'disappointing' 2010.

I definetly think caroline will end up being the better player when both their careers end. There's just too much potential in that girl. People are WAY underestimating her game, just look at the YEC. When she's attacking, she's playing great tennis. That backhand can definetly compete with jankovic's backhand. I might even throw in and say it's BETTER.

AcesHigh
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
JJ at her best is still inferior to Sharapova anytime she plays her, not only Henin...and her best is still not very impressive, compared to other players with much bigger games. She lacks weapons and variety to be Slam winner;)

Look at their H2H. Jelena has done a pretty good job against Sharapova

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Jelena is not so good as people are making her out to be...

madmax
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Look at their H2H. Jelena has done a pretty good job against Sharapova

well, if you can call a good job trailing in a H2H 1-5, then yes, she's done a good job:lol: Anyway, she's a pusher just like Caro, just a tad more offensive one...

AcesHigh
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
well, if you can call a good job trailing in a H2H 1-5, then yes, she's done a good job:lol: Anyway, she's a pusher just like Caro, just a tad more offensive one...

2 of those are retirements.

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Of active ranked number one players Jelena is losing h2h with all except Dinara (4-3) and the tiebreaker was the 1-1 retirement just two weeks ago so... I mean really Jelena's statistics in so many areas are just horrid.

Wozniacki will probably end her career with better statistics, but right now Jankovic is better.

Joana
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Of active ranked number one players Jelena is losing h2h with all except Dinara (4-3) and the tiebreaker was the 1-1 retirement just two weeks ago so... I mean really Jelena's statistics in so many areas are just horrid.

Wozniacki's record against active #1 players:

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

There is absolutely no way of knowing who will end up having the better career. Look at Vaidisova when she was 16, look at her now. Look where Chakvetadze was two years ago and where she's now. Paszek. Szavay. All of them were supposed to be better than Jankovic. Hasn't happened so far.
What is clear now is that there's absolutely no area where Wozniacki has surpassed Jankovic.

Daruma.
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

There is absolutely no way of knowing who will end up having the better career. Look at Vaidisova when she was 16, look at her now. Look where Chakvetadze was two years ago and where she's now. Paszek. Szavay. All of them were supposed to be better than Jankovic. Hasn't happened so far.
What is clear now is that there's absolutely no area where Wozniacki has surpassed Jankovic.

Totally agree.

*Anja*
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Titles
11 > 5

H2H
3-0

Highest Ranking

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

JJ of course!

Mistress of Evil
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Well, bearing in mind Jelena's 2008 fall form she is the better one.However, Caro is still 19 and by the time she is Jankovic'age there is a big chance of being more successful.It will happen if she wprks harder on her game and be less on pusher mode.But we have seen that a coule years ago Jelena was a pusher herself.Luckily, she became a more aggressive play except some rare periods in few matches when she happened to go back to pusher mode.

delicatecutter
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

You forgot Ivanovic. :p Isn't she 0-2 against her?

Joana
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
You forgot Ivanovic. :p Isn't she 0-2 against her?

I forgot Ana was #1. :tape: Yes, 0-2 it is.

Hugh.
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

You got Serena and Venus the wrong way round. A lot of these matches were played in 07 or 08...08 was only Caro's first full year on tour. For example she played Venus 3 times in 07, when she was only 16/17. So it is a bit unfair to look at these records at this point in her career, as they are most likely to improve in the future.

cn ireland
Nov 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Oh, its a close one but I give the edge to JJ:).

Drimal
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Jelena is more of a late performer than Caroline. Before becoming a top player she was a steady top 30 player for some time and had gone through tough times losing these 10 matches in a row at early 2006 (the comeback out of that slump could have been a useful experience for the future). She has broken inside top 10 with 22 years in March 2007 but not left the top 10 since then. Even in her rather average looking season 2009 she still managed to finish among the best 8. She has still a couple of years in front of her where she can win one or more Grand Slams.

There are many examples of players who have been early performers, that had great results "too soon" and then were falling apart mostly because they couldn't handle the pressure on their shoulders. (Ivanovic who became number 1 and Roland Garros Champion with only 19 years; Chakvetadze who broke inside top 5, 1 GS SF and 2 GS QFs with only 20 years; Vaidisova who broke inside top 10 and reached 2 GS SFs with only 17 years; ...).

Caroline Wozniacki has to prove that she is a top player by defending her points from 2009 next season. It isn't easy to reach the top 10 but it is a tough task to stay inside top 10 and to fulfill the growing expectations, especially at such a young age. She has risen in the rankings in the majority of her career (has also been "most improved player in 2008") so we need to see how she handles a possible slump mentally. At the Championships she has shown that she can be strong mentally and also play more agressive.

For now Jelena has a more complete game and is more competitive against top players. ;)

brickhousesupporter
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
You got Serena and Venus the wrong way round. A lot of these matches were played in 07 or 08...08 was only Caro's first full year on tour. For example she played Venus 3 times in 07, when she was only 16/17. So it is a bit unfair to look at these records at this point in her career, as they are most likely to improve in the future.

Really at 17, Serena had a better or equal head to head with everyone in the top 10, except her sister. Age has nothing to do with ability.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
from what we have seen so far, easily Jelena.

At her best, she was an extremely gifted defensive player, though this year she was only a shadow of herself.

I think Jelena has some of the most amazing squash defensive lob saves in video recorded recent history of tennis xD
Of course... she found herself in that position a little too frequently, which isn't a good thing x_x

Yorker
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jankovic really only reached her potential what 3 years ago? Her career may have started a lot earlier but her played rose massively starting in '06 after that disastrous 12 straight losses or something. she is also not a pusher she may not have extreme power but she goes for her shots and she is more capable of taking out a big player more so than caro. she had a rough year this year but her defense is great, the serve has gotten better. caro has unlimited potential but idk if she'll ever change her gamestyle, if she did then her chances at the slanms would rise significantly. if she took chances on the court, i might actually like her tennis game, it's just a boring brand of tennis.

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I forgot Ana was #1. :tape: Yes, 0-2 it is.

Forgot Sharapova too, but I agree. Also Jankovic has been a top player for what 3 years now? This is Wozniacki's first year. Guarantee you next year some of those names will lose to her..

What's Jankovic's excuse?

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
If she can supposedly take out these girls and she's been a top player for 3 full seasons now never missing a slam in this span how come she does not have one...?

Optima
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Jelena started playing tennis when she was 9 1/2, which automatically makes her more awesome than Caro :inlove:

Joana
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Forgot Sharapova too, but I agree. Also Jankovic has been a top player for what 3 years now? This is Wozniacki's first year. Guarantee you next year some of those names will lose to her..

What's Jankovic's excuse?

Perhaps you should buy a different pair of glasses since I did include Sharapova.
What excuse? Nobody is saying Jankovic is the best player in the world. However, she's definitely much more accomplished than Wozniacki at the moment.

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
and I agreed to that several times over :lol:

I just said Jankovic isn't as good as people said she was

Joana
If she can supposedly take out these girls and she's been a top player for 3 full seasons now never missing a slam in this span how come she does not have one...?

OMG. She DID take these girls out. Rarely, occasionally, not quite often, but did. Wozniacki DIDN'T. And that's the difference between the two of them.

Elegante
Yeah Jelena really slices and volleys.

Anyways, Jelena is better due to the fact she is effective on a surface other than hardcourt unlike Caroline.

There you go

Jorn
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
You can vote "Only time will tell..." but that's not what asked in this topic... But we should wait and see in some years... Caro has won on grass and clay, so she's not only good on hard.

Elegante
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
You can vote "Only time will tell..." but that's not what asked in this topic... But we should wait and see in some years... Caro has won on grass and clay, so she's not only good on hard.

Caroline has not beaten a top 10 player on red clay or grass. Jankovic has with Sharapova on grass and any number of clay wins.

Jankovic has also won on every surface green clay, hard, red clay, grass all but indoors.

Jorn
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Caro beat Sveta (Seeded 1) and No 4. in 2008's Eastbourne :)

In The Zone
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Easily Jankovic ... come on now.

Graf~Dokic
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
We have to take into consideration that Wozniacki has won many of her 2009 points at MM tourneys which she is allowed to play only two of next year. So we'll see how her ranking will be in November 2010. ;)

Ferg
Nov 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
JJ without question.

Bobisa
Nov 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
JJ without question.
:worship:

Lulu.
Nov 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Jankovic.

Hugh.
Nov 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Really at 17, Serena had a better or equal head to head with everyone in the top 10, except her sister. Age has nothing to do with ability.

What has Serena got to do with any of this? The ONLY two players in question are Wozniacki and Jankovic.

MaBaker
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ridiculous.

brickhousesupporter
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What has Serena got to do with any of this? The ONLY two players in question are Wozniacki and Jankovic.

You claimed that you can not judge Caro based on her results when she was 16 and 17. I was just making the point that other players at this age were already beating top 10 players and winning grandslams.

Snex
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM

:worship:

ZODIAC
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Jankovic is middle aged in tennis years and her chances of improving on her product are limited whereas Caro is still working progress.Her peak year was 2008 every player has a peak year and her best days are behind her because these younger players are better and stronger plus her nemesis is coming back next year.

Brena
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

Oh, Amelie... :sobbing:

Pops Maellard
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Oh, Amelie... :sobbing:
Oh yes, I remember when Caro won that match. The board exPLODED! Lol

Ciarán
Nov 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Jelena hands down.

AnomyBC
Nov 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Jelena probably SHOULD be better, but I think at the rate things are going Caro will probably achieve more :shrug:

brent-o
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Her backhand is a weapon. It's hard, consistent, and she's hit angles that most could only dream of (love her inside-out backhand :drool:). And variety (of all things!) is not what it takes to win a Slam on the women's tour at the moment.

MBM
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
i definitely think caro has the potential to peak higher than JJ did the last few years. it's all about whether she is willing to take a few more risks on court. percentage tennis will only work against a top player who is having a bad day

brent-o
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Caroline has not beaten a top 10 player on red clay or grass. Jankovic has with Sharapova on grass and any number of clay wins.

Jankovic has also won on every surface green clay, hard, red clay, grass all but indoors.

But didn't she go on a tear on the indoor season, winning like 3 back-to-back in 2008?

InsideOut.
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM

S. Williams 0-4
Jankovic 0-3
V. Williams 0-2
Sharapova 0-2
Clijsters 0-1
Safina 0-1
Mauresmo 1-0

Ivanovic 0-2 :p

InsideOut.
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM
And to answer the question, Jelena. Better forehand, better backhand, better court sense, better defence. I'll give Caro the serve and the volleys, but seeing how it isn't a major part of their games...Jelena is a better player and a better pusher than Pushniacki.