PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone see Radwanska, Zvonareva, Jankovic or Dementieva as threats at the French

Aaron.
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Because when people say French all they talk about is Safina, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Henin..etc

I think Radwanska, Jankovic, Zvonareva and Dementieva are all underrated on this surface I could see Dementieva or Jankovic winning next year depending on they're form at the time the French comes around.

what are your thoughts?

new-york
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Not if Kim keeps it up, Justine plays well or even if Kuzzy believes that she has a shot again.

They are potential SFists though.

Lucemferre
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Honestly no. The only one who can be a threat is jankovic but she lost that fire she had in 2007.she was the favorite last year butlost three games in a row at *4-3 final set and lost to Ana :o MAybe with justine back her underdog feeling will come back. That can help her.

Elegante
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Zvonareva and Jankovic yes. Zvonareva is clay her best surface. She has been injured just the last few clay seasons. With the draw of this year had she not gotten injure she would have maybe won it given the quality of the final.

Radwanska's game does not work on clay. There is no spin to push anyone back. Nothing to hurt or threaten anyone on the surface.

Dementieva has the movement on clay, but her game is not tailored to clay and that shows in how she fails to hit through opponents on the surface.

With Clijsters back and Kuznetsova coming into her belief at the french along with Safina and Justine.. I don't see room for them to breakthrough.

dabossK
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM
If agnieszka adds power then i see her winning it maybe not this year, but the next.

duhcity
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Jankovic Yes.

Radwanska is good across all surfaces, but I'm telling you she's going to win Wimbledon. Her game is very good on it for someone who has almost no power to speak of

dabossK
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Jankovic Yes.

Radwanska is good across all surfaces, but I'm telling you she's going to win Wimbledon. Her game is very good on it for someone who has almost no power to speak of

we must be twins. If agnieszka finnaly got a good draw at Wimby (for example she has had to play WS last two years in a row) she could have easily made it to SF or Final. I see her as the third best grass play
it Goes
Venus
Serena
Aga
Sabine
Wozz
(like it or love it thats the truth)

Lucemferre
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
we must be twins. If agnieszka finnaly got a good draw at Wimby (for example she has had to play WS last two years in a row) she could have easily made it to SF or Final. I see her as the third best grass play
it Goes
Venus
Serena
Aga
Sabine
Wozz

:help::help:

Bobisa
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
JJ yes...She is good on clay and she can do it :) I hope JJ will play like in 2008 and 2007 when she pleyed great matches with Henin... Demetieva and Zvonareva also could achieve a good result but not to take title....

Cakeisgood
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
it Goes
Venus
Serena
Aga
Sabine
Wozz

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

delusional. Aga is fair at best, Sabine is insanely inconsistent, and Caro's game is LEAST suited to grass.

AnomyBC
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
My thoughts:

Radwanska - Not a serious threat in 2010, but maybe in future years
Zvonareva - Should have been a serious threat this year, but won't be a serious threat in 2010
Jankovic - Moderate threat in 2010, but less so than this year
Dementieva - Moderate threat in 2010

As I said in another thread, I think the most likely winners are Henin, Kuznetsova, Safina, Serena, Clijsters and Dementieva. I think Sharapova, Azarenka and Wozniacki are potential moderate threats as well.

The 2nd Law
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Elena will always be a threat at RG, until she retires imo. Vera's injury this year was unfortunate, she'd have probably done quite well otherwise, hopefully she will be healthy next year :)
As for Jelena, in form, of course she is.

Slutati
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Well, I think Elena's gonna win all 4 slams next year. So I guess that's that.

delicatecutter
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Love the Aga love in this thread. :hearts:

Jacob#1
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
If you were to shake that tree I think Jankovic might fall out of it.

Sean.
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Zvonareva, Jankovic & Dementieva with the right draw yes.

Radwanska, no.

austennis
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Its hard to judge given we have no idea the form they will be in when it comes time for RG. However, of past form id say the top faves must be

1. Dinara - she needs to break through
2. Kim she knows how to win
3. Justine has the 4 titles but how will she play?will she be back in form in time? (i think so given how in 2004 she came back for olympics and US and that was it really).
4. Ana - past champ now with no pressure
5. Sveta can always be a threat when she in on her game

I think JJ Elena, Caro, Aga, Vera, Venus, Serena, Maria, Sammy can all make the QF but dont seem them doing any better

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
its really wide open next year tbh

top 4 contenders probably are Serena, Justine, Kim, and Svetlana

then there's Dinara

then there's Ana

then there's Venus, JJ, Elena

then there's Maria

then there's Caro, Vera

then there's Vika

then there's Sammy

then there's players with OK or good past experience who can get a string of wins.... Aga, Dominika, Flavia, Franny, Na Li, Marion, Virginie Razzano; and former real threats who are eating poo poo Nadia, Mauresmo

then you have new people to the scene like who are hot right now Sabine, Wickmayer, Aravane

so to me I dont know why Aga is in the thread title when she should just be in the message, if you know what i'm saying.

tennisforadults
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Radwanska - no
Zvonareva - no
Jankovic - yes
Dementieva - yes

JJ and Elena have proven their clay credentials, the other two not really.

I want to add Sam Stosur to the 'moderate threat' list. Her serves and topspin forehands are well-suited to the surface and she's proven her abilities with her SF effort this year.

duhcity
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:12 AM
If you were to shake that tree I think Jankovic might fall out of it.

But then she'll get an injury and she'll take extra MTO's next year :p

Svetlana)))
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Dementieva, Jankovic and Zvonareva are potential Sf-ists
I see Radwanska as a player who would reach the 3-4 round, but with a good draw the Qfs.

Aryman3
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:34 AM
We'll see improved Aga next season. And such Aga can reach SF of any GS

Volcana
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Because when people say French all they talk about is Safina, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Henin..etc

I think Radwanska, Jankovic, Zvonareva and Dementieva are all underrated on this surface I could see Dementieva or Jankovic winning next year depending on they're form at the time the French comes around.

what are your thoughts?Serena, Henin, Clijsters, Kuznetsova.

Zvonareva could knock off any of them, but three in a row? No.

miffedmax
Nov 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Threats? Yes.

Likely winners?

No. Unless Lena grows back her bangs. Lena's bangs. :drool: I'm sorry. What were we talking about?

Shi Feng
Nov 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Absolutely no. Considering Clijsters and Henin are back, Safina and Ivanovic can be removed from the list, too.

gc-spurs
Nov 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I see Jankovic could be a threat if the important matches of the tournament happen to fall on that one week in the month where she DOESN'T have her period.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
If the likes of Myskina could win French Open, anyone else could.:shrug:

Brena
Nov 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Well, it's hard to say if JJ and Vera will manage to pull themselves together ever again by the RG. If they do, they can win it, but they'll be underdogs to Henin and Clijsters. However, who says that the Belgians will be back to GOAT form by then either? :shrug:
Demented - depends on her state of mind (as always)
Agnieszka - I can't see her as the winner, but I can see her doing some damage and going deep.

Actually, it's hard to predict anything these days. Top players' forms are so up and down, Henin will be freshly back from the retirement...perhaps, the safest bet would be Clijsters.

winchester
Nov 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
None of those girls will ever win a Major.

Brena
Nov 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
None of those girls will ever win a Major.

JJ will. She just needs some luck:

I see Jankovic could be a threat if the important matches of the tournament happen to fall on that one week in the month where she DOESN'T have her period.

winchester
Nov 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM
JJ will. She just needs some luck:

With Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters coming back, her luck is def gone, her best shot was this year.

Jacob#1
Nov 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
With Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters coming back, her luck is def gone, her best shot was this year.
Maria has ADD. She should get MTO's for it.

Sean.
Nov 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM

On clay I'd pick JJ over Masha. :angel:

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
We have to see how Henin plays. She's the key. Kim never won the FO. Maria has never been to the final.

Temperenka
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Radwanska will never make a grand slam final. Unless she COMPLETELY changes her game.

winchester
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
On clay I'd pick JJ over Masha. :angel:

I know, just like most of people would pick JJ, but on one match Maria can beat anyone, even on clay, she should have beat a player like Safina twice, and Safina is clearly a better player than Maria on clay. It's all about mental with Maria on clay, just see how she beat Petrova this year.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Maria has to show the stamina to beat a top 10 player in week 2 on clay. She wears out because her matches are too long week 1

Jorn
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
maybe JJ will reach the Semis, but not the rest...

MaBaker
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
No.

tennisforadults
Nov 13th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Radwanska will never make a grand slam final. Unless she COMPLETELY changes her game.

This is a silly thing to say. Why should Radwanska COMPLETELY change her game if it has taken her to top 10???

There's no point changing your game if you don't have the abilities to play another way. Every player has her own strengths and weaknesses. Radwanska is not going to become a power ballbasher like Dokic even if she wants to.

She just needs some refinement to give her more/bigger weapons.

Roookie
Nov 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I know, just like most of people would pick JJ, but on one match Maria can beat anyone, even on clay, she should have beat a player like Safina twice, and Safina is clearly a better player than Maria on clay. It's all about mental with Maria on clay, just see how she beat Petrova this year.

Petrova choked beat herself.

Shi Feng
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Safina didn't seize her best chance in 2009 and she will probably never have any more.