PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Tennis Players who are Veterans?

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Have their been any notable U.S. players who have served in the armed forces?

Chrissie-fan
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Very long time ago, but Alice Marble was recruited by US army intelligence to spy in the second world war to obtain lists about Nazis stolen treasures, was successful in doing so and got shot in the back by a double agent. She recovered though. Later she wrote a public letter of protest after she learned that the young Althea Gibson had been refused access to tournaments (including the US championships that we now call the US Open) because of the colour of her skin - shortly thereafter Gibson finally got permission to play at all the major events. Alice Marble was a remarkable woman really, and she was a great player as well. The first major female serve and volleyer winning one Wimbledon and four US Championships (US Open) - a total of 18 grand slams combined in singles, doubles and mixed. And she would have won much more if world war II hadn't ended her career.

miffedmax
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Arthur Ashe was the first (and only) name that came to my mind, though I would imagine there are other.

Didn't know about Marble--thanks for that bit of history C-fan.

Lena's bangs.

V's a star
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
i have no idea but does the US have remembrance day?

AnomyBC
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
We have Veteran's Day, which is today :)

miffedmax
Nov 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM
We also have Memorial Day, when we honor those who died in the service of our country.

Veterans Day is when we honor our living servicemen & women.

Lena's bangs.

darrinbaker00
Nov 12th, 2009, 04:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kramer#Career

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Budge#Military_service

Also, Dwight Davis served as United States Secretary of War under President Calvin Coolidge from 1925-1929.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_F._Davis

drake3781
Nov 12th, 2009, 05:04 AM
While we are at it (and it seems the topic of US Women in the military is exhausted anyway :shrug: ) how about all WTA Players?

The only one I know for sure is Shahar Peer, who joined the Israeli military because all Israeli citizens are bound to serve, for a short time. She was assigned a part-time secretarial job, which allowed her to continue to train as a tennis pro. She has now completed her service.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM

I wonder the same thing about the posters on this board :). Sometimes i think i'm the only Vet from the USA :p

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 12th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I wonder the same thing about the posters on this board :). Sometimes i think i'm the only Vet from the USA :p

Well, if no one else from the U.S. has said it here, let me be the first to say, "Thank you for your service."

And thanks everyone for the info. Seemed to be the day to ask.

Chrissie-fan, that was some very interesting stuff about Alice Marble. She ought to have a film made about her.

...Hmm? I wonder if anyone has the "Shopping Rights."