PDA

View Full Version : just recieved a HERO email from WTA

BournemouthBoy
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
on a day where we pay our respects to those who paid the ultimate price, im expcted to consider WTA tennis players as HERO, give me a break and think about how you brand your sport, they are NOT heros, they're living the dream. Thank You.

Noctis
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
:spit: What Get over it.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
What's your point? Yes, today is for commemorating those who have fallen in war and a day to pay our respects, but it's slick marketing.

drake3781
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM
on a day where we pay our respects to those who paid the ultimate price, im expcted to consider WTA tennis players as HERO, give me a break and think about how you brand your sport, they are NOT heros, they're living the dream. Thank You.

I actually agree with you. ;) We should not be making heros/idols of sports figures who are working for incomes just like the rest of us. There is nothing especially heroic about it.

jimbo mack
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
i'd never fallen for this hero gimmick, they're not hero's at all!

well apart from steffi ;)

Avid Merrion
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
What's your point? Yes, today is for commemorating those who have fallen in war and a day to pay our respects, but it's sick marketing.
There, fixed that for you. ;)

*JR*
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Like Larry Scott B4 her, new WTA CEO Stacey Allaster is a goddam whore. :spit: BTW, a lot of ppl not in the military are also real heroes, like first responders in disasters, good teachers in tough schools, etc. etc.

Chris 84
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM

tennis players and soldiers are people doing a job. neither are heroes.

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:55 PM
You guys can say what you want about the players not really being heroes, but when Caro single-handedly captures Osama bin Laden you're all gonna feel pretty stupid :)

miffedmax
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Frankly, I think the Hero campaign is pretty lame. I could do better.

I'm loathe to call anyone a hero based solely on their occupation. There are rogue cops, bad apples in the military, awful people in sports etc.

Heroism, like everything else, is a case-by-case basis.

On the other hand, while Lena's bangs make not make her heroic, they sure did make her cute.

pov
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
on a day where we pay our respects to those who paid the ultimate price,

Armed Forces' Day (formerly Veterans' Day) in the United Kingdom is an annual event celebrated on 27 June to commemorate the service of men and women in the British Armed Forces.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Alice Marble was a heroine.

Tamus
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Agree with the OP; that hero ad campaign has always irritated me.

Tamus
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM
What's your point? Yes, today is for commemorating those who have fallen in war and a day to pay our respects, but it's slick marketing.

No, it's shitty marketing

youizahoe
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM
The biggest heroes aren't those that go to war and kill others to defend their country/beliefs, the real heroes are those that sacrifice the little means they have to help out someone that's in an even worse position than themselves.

Or those that dare to speak their mind, against the most powerfull dictators, knowing that they could get killed the very minute after.

Or those that overcame mental or physicial trauma's, who continue to inspire those that have fallen, to get back up their feet, stop complaining and look forward with their heads held up high.

We are all heroes, if we work towards a better place for all, and if we continue to inspire people to follow that example, that's in my opinion the real spirit of a true hero.

Caipirinha Guy
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The biggest heroes aren't those that go to war and kill others to defend their country/beliefs, the real heroes are those that sacrifice the little means they have to help out someone that's in an even worse position than themselves.

Or those that dare to speak their mind, against the most powerfull dictators, knowing that they could get killed the very minute after.

Or those that overcame mental or physicial trauma's, who continue to inspire those that have fallen, to get back up their feet, stop complaining and look forward with their heads held up high.

We are all heroes, if we work towards a better place for all, and if we continue to inspire people to follow that example, that's in my opinion the real spirit of a true hero.

:worship: :sobbing:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
tennis players and soldiers are people doing a job. neither are heroes.

Exactly. People get money and free education for being in the military, they aren't there for free.

Dodoboy.
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Serena is a hero in my book. Venus is a hero in my book.

I don't care what you say. You don't have to fight a war to be a hero, i totally agree with Glenn!

Yes it's a bit crude sending those out of this day, but what can you do!

dreamgoddess099
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Serena is a hero in my book. Venus is a hero in my book.

Exactly, everybody has the ability to be a hero simply because in life we choose our own heroes. You don't have to jump in front of a bullet for someone in order to be a hero. I'm sure the kids that attend The Serena Williams Secondary school in Kenya think she's a hero.