PDA

View Full Version : Tennisforum/wtaworld getting noticed in Indonesia

spiceboy
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/11/10/bali-event-serves-good-entertainment.html

Bali event serves up good entertainment

Bruce Emond , The Jakarta Post , Nusa Dua, Bali | Tue, 11/10/2009 12:39 PM | Sports

Cynics got their digs in before the inaugural Commonwealth Bank Tournament of Champions began. A new addition to the women's tennis tour calendar as an indoor year-end tournament held on the resort island, it was an unknown entity - and thus prime fodder to be picked apart.

Qualifiers were selected from the highest-ranked players who had won a designated tournament from the calendar year, but were not eligible for the Tour Championships in Doha or the Fed Cup final held the same week. Therein lay a problem, or two: The stars were assured of going to Doha (and Italians Francesca Schiavone and Flavia Pennetta to the Fed Cup), and it was difficult to determine who would make it to Bali until a few weeks before the event began.

In the blogosphere, some dubbed it a "Minnie Mouse" tournament, allowing the sport's second-tier players to earn a fat bonus (the winner's check was US$200,000, a sizable amount but peanuts compared to the $1.5 million Serena Williams garnered in Doha).

Others griped that the tournament, in its previous incarnation as a Tier III outdoor hard-court event from 2001-2008, at least looked like it was held in Bali, and Indonesian players also got a look-in by receiving wildcards.

But when the tournament wrapped on Sunday, the criticism was tempered. A popular fan website asked members to compare Doha - weakened by retirements and injuries - and Bali, and many foreign observers, who watched via international broadcasts, chose the Indonesian tournament.

In an interview with The Jakarta Post during the tournament, new Sony Ericsson WTA Tour CEO Stacey Allaster said stars were important draws, but true fans enjoy good tennis, regardless of who is playing. At the end of the day, Bali served the fans well.

Bali was intended to be a showcase of top 20 players who didn't qualify for Doha. It did not turn out that way - the four top seeds were Marion Bartoli, ranked 12th, Samantha Stosur (13), Yanina Wickmayer (18) and Sabine Lisicki (25) - as tournament director Kevin Livesey acknowledged in a post-tournament evaluation Sunday night. But the play in the round-robin group matches was uniformly high (the only exception was Anabel Medina Garrigues, whose topspin game was unsuited to the ultrafast wood court).
The venue of the Bali International Convention Center turned out to be an excellent one. Did fans miss sitting in an outside arena under a baking sun? Doubt it. In fact, the relatively small 1,800-capacity of the center provided an unusual intimacy between players and fans who were clearly delighted to have the opportunity to watch a world-class tournament up close (unfortunately, National Tennis Association chairman Martina Wijaya was not among the spectators).

A good story, and a tennis tournament, needs interesting characters, a bit of drama and a hero to cheer for. Bali had them all. There was Kimiko Date-Krumm, the 39-year-old Japanese player, making a return to the Tour after a 12-year "hiatus"; up-and-coming Lisicki of Germany; and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, a fearless serve-and-volleyer whose game is a throwback to another era.

There was drama, although it had nothing to do with the appearance of Israeli Shahar Peer who, despite Indonesia's lack of diplomatic relations with Israel, was allowed to play with next to no fuss. Instead, 3rd seeded Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium was forced to withdraw after failing to comply with her country's doping regulations.

It was a shock, but the tournament went on. The hero was Rezai, the unfancied world number 44 with the pounding groundstrokes who was the revelation of the week. Although abbreviated by Bartoli's retirement, the final made for exciting viewing.

Rezai is a great ambassador for the sport. A French-born Muslim of Iranian descent, she gives her all on court, and is a smiling, attractive and polite young woman off it. Amid the ranks of towering players, the 1.65-meter Rezai showed this year she could hold her own with the best of them, including beating then world number one Dinara Safina.

The Bali tournament was not perfect; no first-time event ever is. But it was involving, displayed high-quality tennis and, most importantly, was entertaining to fans. They are the people who matter.

The writer is the three-time winner of the national tennis writing contest, held in conjunction with the Bali event.

Caipirinha Guy
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Lol, they noticed NA GOAT's 'Minnie Mouse' tournaments. :spit:

frenchie
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
lol

Ferg
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Na Goat gets intenational recognition :sobbing: Soon the chinese media will start calling their players Golden Flowers :hysteric:

matthias
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
cool - we get powerull more and more

if Wozniacki get voted the least favorit player on tour in out thread, will Stella McCartney drop her from wearing her stuff?

we will see

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Lol, they noticed NA GOAT's 'Minnie Mouse' tournaments. :spit:

According to pierce0415 it's Mini, not Minnie Mouse :p

miffedmax
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The ultimate expression of power will be when Lena brings back the BANGS

frenchie
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I can't wait for a Serena? article!

Uranus
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Ugh, hide it from NA-GOAT, he'll get even more proud and confident :o :o. And will figure out other expressions and open thousands of threads with his approximate English skills.
Plus 'Minnie Mouse' is a really stupid one.

Dodoboy.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Na-Goat!

Jia you! Jia you!

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Na-GOAT :worship:

SAISAI-GOAT
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
In the blogosphere, some dubbed it a "Minnie Mouse" tournament,[/B] allowing the sport's second-tier players to earn a fat bonus (the winner's check was US$200,000, a sizable amount but peanuts compared to the $1.5 million Serena Williams garnered in Doha).

Others griped that the tournament, in its previous incarnation as a Tier III outdoor hard-court event from 2001-2008, at least looked like it was held in Bali, and Indonesian players also got a look-in by receiving wildcards.

But when the tournament wrapped on Sunday, the criticism was tempered. A popular fan website asked members to compare Doha - weakened by retirements and injuries - and Bali, and many foreign observers, who watched via international broadcasts, chose the Indonesian tournament.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=16788608#post16788608

:spit: @ the reporter ... TF members say Bali was less embarass WTA but that does not mean we choose Bali :rolls:

:dance:

SAISAI-GOAT
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Na Goat gets intenational recognition :sobbing: Soon the chinese media will start calling their players Golden Flowers :hysteric:

they already do that :wavey:

that is where I got the name from :p

Ferg
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
they already do that :wavey:

:speakles:

Lunaris
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Pierce-GOAT is a living legend of this forum.

Ciarán
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Oh hey Indonesia.

Pureracket
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
SEWTA lives!

Kworb
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
NA-GOAT :inlove:

In The Zone
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Omg. :spit: Minnie Mouse is now an official term! :dead:

In The Zone
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Oh and LOL @ the article making fun of Medina Garrigues.

But the play in the round-robin group matches was uniformly high (the only exception was Anabel Medina Garrigues, whose topspin game was unsuited to the ultrafast wood court).

AKA, she sucked more than everyone else.

spiceboy
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM

:haha:

Freakybel :lol:

olivero
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM
:spit:
Na-GOAT is goat :sobbing:

Apoleb
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I only wish if they kept it authentic and misspelled it as "Mini Mouse" like NA-GOAT does.

If they had done that, then NA-GOAT would've officially been the GOAT of TF.

Mynarco
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
NA GOAT :worship:

Slutiana
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
:sobbing::hysteric:

Noctis
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yo Imo let you finish Na Goat but Pierce is best troll of all time!

Golovinjured.
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
:spit:

danieln1
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
well na goat is international now... but mickey mouse is more fun, because is the original name

tennisbum79
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
NA-GOAT deserves some sort of award on this forum.

Has there been any other poster on this forum who made this splaush in recent years.

Noctis
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Pusher and Brainless Ballbasher threads by me :shrug: :spit:

Hardiansf
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Pusher and Brainless Ballbasher threads by me :shrug: :spit:
Boreaz :lol::cool:
But NA-GOAT is TF GOAT :worship:
Tennisforum/WTAWorld :worship:

Mikey.
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:02 AM
:crying2:

delicatecutter
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
NA-GOAT FTW! :bowdown:

Singleniacki
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yay Na-Goat finally getting some recognition ;)

skanky~skanketta
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm so proud of all of us here at WTAworld!

Rocketta
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM
:lol: funny stuff

but this reminds of that Anna K thread about her boobs being fake (I think) and then it getting mentioned in an article that she was reading posts on a tennis board about her boobs and laughing... :worship:

SAISAI-GOAT
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:28 AM

popular fan website = tennisforum.com :lol:

many foreign observers = tennisforum.com posters :tape: :spit:

Hurley
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:34 AM
NA-GOAT gets published :speakles:

Soon DR.-NA-GOAT (PhD, Sewtalogy) :speakles:

drake3781
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
NA-GOAT deserves some sort of award on this forum.

Has there been any other poster on this forum who made this splaush in recent years.

Yes, there was another one, but I forget where it was published, that took a satirical post here for reality. It was the thread that stated that WTATour organization had mandated etiquette (charm school?) training for all players.

Can anybody find/bump both the original post and the one where we discovered that somebody had used it in a publication?

RND
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I just recall there was once a livescoring site using scores of PYW. :spit: :tape:

drake3781
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I just recall there was once a livescoring site using scores of PYW. :spit: :tape:

omg yes, lol. :lol:

MyskinaManiac
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Influence.

Roookie
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:16 AM
We're not worthy of NA-GOAT :hatoff:

:lol:

Julian.
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM
This is sick :lol:

:worship:

In The Zone
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Thread on WTA Players attending Charm School (joke) and Eurosport citing it and mentioning it on air!

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=129886

Renalicious
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
NA-GOAT is famous now. :hearts: :haha:

ivanban
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
ridiculous :haha:

:spit: @ foreign observers

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM

or the EPIC thread that ES used to talk about the new "rules" larry scott had in place which had in "quotes" from maria, serena and jh :tape:

tennislover
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm so proud of tennisforum :D

spiceboy
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I love being a foreign observer :hearts:

Adrian.
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Me too:hearts::hearts:

nevetssllim
Nov 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM

On the subject of her, I noticed a French article once referred to AMG as 'Dramabel' after her loss to Manasieva in Portoroz. Is this a common nickname for her or did they take it from here too?

Harvs
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
hahahahaha love it

davidmario
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Here comes Power - Let's manipulate the tennis world!

but what I will never forget is the joke thread about this year end beauty workshop for wta players. didn't novotna mentioned this LIVE on british eurosport?:lol: I think I peed my pants:hearts:

égalité
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
:spit: :hysteric:

Almost as good as when a betting site was getting their results from the PYW forum :tears:

Apoleb
Nov 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Thread on WTA Players attending Charm School (joke) and Eurosport citing it and mentioning it on air!

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=129886

:haha: :haha: :haha:

This can't be real. Too good.

nevetssllim
Nov 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
:spit: :hysteric:

Almost as good as when a betting site was getting their results from the PYW forum :tears:

Seriously?! :spit:

The Witch-king
Nov 14th, 2009, 02:59 AM
NA-GOAT gets published :speakles:

Soon DR.-NA-GOAT (PhD, Sewtalogy) :speakles:

lol

Ellery
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
NA-GOAT :eek: :worship:

-Sonic-
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Not least a three-time winner of the national tennis writing contest turning to this viper pit for material.

This. 16 yr old Ritalin addicts being used as an apparent credible source of information.... gulp.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Nov 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

na-GOAT :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Moderators should change name of webiste for sewtaforum.com :worship: