PDA

View Full Version : Brits - EARTHQUAKE! Did you feel it?

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:35 AM
About 12.55 tonight I was playing on my PS2, when all of the sudden the house shook! Frightening! Anyway I didnt think too much of it until my mum texted me a few minutes ago, and I found this on the beeb's news site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2275158.stm

YSL
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:46 AM
hell YES

I thought my elderly mother had fallen over so rushed to see if she was ok. To my comeplete surprise, she was standing upright staring at me. I could hear the pipes underneath the radiator rumbling and moving.. I was confused - My mother couldn't feel anything, but I could hear the rattling from the tremors. Then I thought that mebbe it was my neighbour. After about 6 seconds, it stopped. My mother thought I was dreaming.

I was more freaked how afterwards, all the doors on my wardrobe were wide open. That freaked out my mother too - She was scared that it may have been something supernatural.. But yeah, I was shaking.. The thought of it being an earthquake crossed my mind - But it seemed too strong for the UK? But yeah, I flicked on to Sky News and all the reports are starting to come through now..

King Satan
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:57 AM
Wow an earthquake:rolleyes:

what's the big frickin deal?

Cassius
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:57 AM
Didn't feel a thing.

Cassius
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:59 AM
Wow an earthquake

what's the big frickin deal?
Yeah, but living in Mexico your probably have an earthquake every other week, but Britain doesn't lie along a fault line so we don't get quakes very often.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:15 AM
Are you sure it was an earthquake or was it Julie throwing a hissy fit for losing to Maike?:rolleyes: :p

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:33 AM
Barrie, if I had any slight inkling of what the hell you were on about, I'd still say it was purely seismic.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:00 AM
Julie and Maike played Minature golf yesterday and Maike won. Did you not see the thread?

King Satan
Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Cassius

Yeah, but living in Mexico your probably have an earthquake every other week, but Britain doesn't lie along a fault line so we don't get quakes very often.

Actually I live in Los Angeles

So I guess I've gotten used to it, I remember sleeping through the Northridge quake lol (if any of you know where that was)

Halardfan
Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:21 AM
I was watching TV...the open window rattled and the door rattled for a few seconds, at the time I just thought it was a freak gust of wind...bizarre.

BritneySpearsIsHot
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
Didn't notice a thing :rolleyes:

Bezz
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:13 PM
I was chatting to snuff at the time of it happening but cos i live close to a railway track i thought a train had derailed or something, which scared the shit out of me since my house would be the first to be hit:eek: , i looked out the window and didnt c any train and then heared on the radio just before i went to bed that it was an "earth tremor":)

schris
Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
This year in Germany was an earthquake too !

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Barrie - Nah I think I must have ignored it.

The epicentre was Dudley! Bloody Birmingham! But it was miles underground so the only damage was some chimneys knocked over. I mean it is exciting for us! Being as we don't run along a fault line I can't work out how we can have one, unless we are feeling the effects of some activity somewhere else. Either that or it was just a congregation of obese brummies jumping up and down.

veryborednow
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:56 PM
I did, jaysus. Ive never felt one before, I had no fucking clue what was going on! And yes, the brummies were celebrating their win over Everton :rolleyes: tossers...

My friend thought we were being bombed :o

YSL
Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Heh.. epicentre was in Dudley, as you pointed out.. Not Birmingham. Blame the Yamyams in the Black Country! For once, wasn't the fault of Brummies! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:20 PM
I didn't feel a thing :o
i was asleep

but did the earth move for you last night ??? ;)

Princess Fiona
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:25 PM
Nope! No tremors here! ;) I only heard about it on the news this morning...

ASV_FAN
Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:26 PM
But it was miles underground so the only damage was some chimneys knocked over.

Joey, I don't think the depth of the quake purely creates the magnitude. I think much deeper quakes can be stronger; other factors come into the mix which together create the magnitude.

However do correct me if I'm wrong....

ASV_FAN
Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
But it was miles underground so the only damage was some chimneys knocked over.

Joey, I don't think the depth of the quake purely creates the magnitude. I think much deeper quakes can be stronger; other factors come into the mix which together create the magnitude.

However do correct me if I'm wrong....

Double Fault
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
I was asleep, but I woke up when the bed was vibrating. It was just like the Exorcist! :) It was only a baby earthquake. I experienced a real earthquake in Greece years ago and that was frightening. I went straight back to sleep after the event.

*Izzy*
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:27 PM
Nope, hehe. Other people at school felt it but I didn't notice anything.

I must have had my music on loud ;)

Monica_Rules
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Nope i was sleeping but people in my school did notice it!

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Jonny, what made you the resident Seismologist! ;) That's just what I heard, I am not so clued up as your good self obviously.

YSL , well it technically is in that area.

Double Fault... are you sure that wasn't your recently installed Vibrabed playing up?

Anyway, in true movie style... a unfinished glass of water was on my desk whilst it happened, when it began too shake it was weird.