PDA

View Full Version : Casey Dellacqua injured...again!

spiceboy
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/dellacqua-considering-esperance-comeback-20091109-i5bm.html

Dellacqua considering Esperance comeback

Tim Clarke
November 10, 2009 - 3:05PMCasey Dellacqua's planned comeback from injury in her home state this month is in doubt, with her participation in the ProTour event in Esperance stifled by an ankle injury.

Dellacqua has been out of action since February, after her persistent shoulder injury forced her to seek out leading surgeon Greg Hoy to fix the problem.

She had been set to add more star power to the impressive line-up for this weekend's event, planning her comeback to the game from long-term injury alongside disgraced Davis Cup firebrand Brydan Klein (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/klein-to-make-tennis-comeback-in-esperance-20091106-i1te.html).

However, Dellacqua is now reconsidering her participation after suffering an inopportune injury as she built up to her first competitive outing in 10 months.

It is a blow to organisers, who have already secured Klein, former world top 10 player Alicia Molik and WA's Jessica Moore – with 2009 US Open Junior Champion Bernard Tomic also on the radar.

However, it will be Klein's appearance – his first since his ban for racially abusing a South African opponent at a UK tournament in July – that will generate most interest.

Originally suspended by the ATP for six months, Klein has since completed a racial sensitivity training course, with the final two months of his suspension reclassified as probationary, allowing him to return to the professional game.
Klein will use the Cliffs Esperance International in his home state to start his sporting rehabilitation, joining a host of Australian and international players, including former world No. 8 Molik.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back on court and playing again," Klein said.
"I'm hitting well and I'm really fit at the moment, so I am confident I can go well in the tournament.
"Esperance is a really nice place and it is a great location to hold an event, it will be fantastic to play in front of fans in my home state."

Klein's massive ban came after he was fined $14,000, the maximum possible under the ATP, for calling opponent Raven Klaasen a "f...ing kaffir" during a tournament in Eastbourne.

Despite issuing a public apology, the ATP found Klein had committed "behaviour that is flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament or is singularly egregious".

blueskye
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I hope Casey can make a successfull comeback, it can't be easy to be out for that long, it's like starting from scratch! I never knew about the Klein situation..good to hear that the ATP took a stand to his behaviour..!