PDA

View Full Version : Can Wozniacki win Roland Garros 2010?

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I realise people are going to shoot me down for this, but I really do think she's in with a great shout. Watching her matches against Azarenka and Zvonareva at the SEC, it really struck me how much she's turned a corner with her game recently. She was playing with a LOT of width, moving her opponent all over the place... she was dictating play while maintaining a lot of margin for error. It struck me that that style of play could be fantastically effective on clay. Plus she is of course a great defender, her serve should reap more rewards on clay than on any other surface (she gets great placement on it even if it isn't the fastest, but placement is effetive on clay) and she's shown herself to be one of the mentally-toughest girls on tour atm. I find it hard to see her winning any of the other majors... I think she'll become a fixture in the later rounds, but it's probably true that Williams, Sharapova, Clijsters et al will have too much in their arsenal for her on the faster surfaces. But on clay, I really think Wozniacki has what it takes to be great. Thoughts?

Temperenka
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
If the draw falls apart (like 2008) and Justine Henin's comeback is going slowly.. she could be in with a big chance. However, I think Kim or Justine will take RG 2010. However, I definitely see what you are saying and do think that one day Caroline will win in Paris.

s_j
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
No, because Sharapova is winning it. It's written in the stars.

Aaric
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
No, because Sharapova is winning it. It's written in the stars.

This :angel:

Slutiana
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
No.

Because it's her worst surface!!11
And she's too green to win RG.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
No.

Because it's her worst surface!!11
And she's too green to win RG.

It's maybe been her worst surface results-wise so far (although not by much... she made a whole lot of finals on that surface this year), but it's the surface that should be best suited to her game imo. Her general game and confidence has come on leaps and bounds since this year's clay season ended anyway, so it's hard to judge her future potential on clay on past results.

Roookie
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
If the draw falls apart (like 2008)

This. :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
She has just beaten one top 10 player in her entire career at a GS so far.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Had Serena ever beaten any before her first Slam win?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Had Serena ever beaten any before her first Slam win?
Yes she had, and are you trying to compare Serena at 17 to Caro at 19?:lol: :haha: :rolls:

Serena even before she won USO 99 had already shown the potential by destroying the entire top 20 at LA, Miami, IW, Paris. Caro has done no such thing.

njnetswill
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't think so. The final will be Henin def. Clijsters 6-4 6-2. Wozniacki will face Henin in the second round.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Yes she had, and are you trying to compare Serena at 17 to Caro at 19?:lol: :haha: :rolls:

Serena even before she won USO 99 had already shown the potential by destroying the entire top 20 at LA, Miami, IW, Paris. Caro has done no such thing.

But you said beating them at a SLAM was a necessary qualification. And having quickly looked into it, it seems to me Serena had only got one win over a Top 10 player before USO99 (Spirlea, AO98)

Jean-Henri
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
It's maybe been her worst surface results-wise so far (although not by much... she made a whole lot of finals on that surface this year), but it's the surface that should be best suited to her game imo. Her general game and confidence has come on leaps and bounds since this year's clay season ended anyway, so it's hard to judge her future potential on clay on past results.

There's a huge difference between red and green clay.
For exactly the reasons mentioned, imo green clay suits her very well, which we also had indications on this year.
But I think that red clay generally slows Caro's fast defensive movement and agile playing style so much that it's a disadvantage. And she's not like the worlds best slider.

To be honest, in Madrid she had a relatively easy walk to the final, and in Bastad she should've won.
But let's see

I still think her best chances are at AO and USO.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM

She has reached a grand total of two red clay court finals by defeating just one top-20 player (her bitch Pennetta) en route to both of them. Granted, you could be an utterly horrible claycourter and end up winning Roland Garros (e.g. Myskina) but it's still highly unlikely.
US Open is Wozniacki's best chance to win a slam but she will have to wait till Serena, Kim and Justine retire once and for all.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
But you said beating them at a SLAM was a necessary qualification. And having quickly looked into it, it seems to me Serena had only got one win over a Top 10 player before USO99 (Spirlea, AO98)

I said that about mediocre players like Caroline who has already played in 12 Grandslams and has just 1 top 10 victory. Serena ahd played in only 6 grandslams before she won hers, she didn't have as much time as Wozniacki to rack up top 10 victories either

(Plus Serena was an exception, and she had proved that she was an exception by destroying all those players at huge level tournaments, caro hasn't done that either)

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I said that about mediocre players like Caroline who has already played in 12 Grandslams and has just 1 top 10 victory(Serena was an exception, and she had proved that she was an exception by destroying all those players at huge level tournaments, caro hasn't done that either)

OK, well Serena only started destroying the top players at huge-level tournaments a few months before her first Slam win. So if Wozniacki does indeed win at RG next year, that gives her almost half a year to collect experience and big wins at tournaments beforehand.

But anyway, given the mess that the WTA has become of late, it's rather optimistic that you assume Wozniacki or anyone else will have to beat a whole heap of top players en route to a Slam title.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
OK, well Serena only started destroying the top players at huge-level tournaments a few months before her first Slam win. So if Wozniacki does indeed win at RG next year, that gives her almost half a year to collect experience and big wins at tournaments beforehand.

Serena had only played in 6 GS too, so unlike Wozniacki, she didnt have double the GS tournaments to rack up top 10 victories either :shrug: Caro has been playign for a while now, and she barely has won against top players in a GS.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
It's intersting people are saying they think Wozniacki's best chances are at a hard-court Slam. I actually think that's where her WORST chances are - in addition to me thinking clay is her best surface for the reasons I've said, I also think grass suits her game well too, because her impeccable footwork allows her to adjust for bad bounces better than most.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well, that's progress. Awhile back it was, "no, she has just beaten one top 10 player in her entire career", period. :lol: Anyway, most Caro haters will say "no" because they don't want her to win. And most Caro fans will say "yes" because they want her to win. I want her to win, but no, I don't think she will win it - not in 2010 anyway. She has an outside chance at all the slams if the draw opens up for her, but I find it hard to see anyone winning a slam in 2010 other than the two Belgians or the Williams sisters. Other than those four there are maybe four or five players who have a small but realistic chance of causing an upset and Caro is one of them.

Jean-Henri
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
It's intersting people are saying they think Wozniacki's best chances are at a hard-court Slam. I actually think that's where her WORST chances are - in addition to me thinking clay is her best surface for the reasons I've said, I also think grass suits her game well too, because her impeccable footwork allows her to adjust for bad bounces better than most.

I agree on that. But it also amplifies her perhaps yet to overcome weaknesses toward hard servers/hitters.

Protoss
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
The slow red clay makes it harder for her to hit through the court.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Let her win a title and defeat a notable player on the surface before claiming red clay suits her game.

AJDE ANA
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
haha you must be joking! now she's a kind of superstar? she has lot of lucky with draw at the us open, and you people making big noise without a reason. sure she cant!

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
haha you must be joking! now she's a kind of superstar? she has lot of lucky with draw at the us open, and you people making big noise without a reason. sure she cant!

A "lucky draw" that included a reigning Grand Slam champion and a player who took out two top names. Right.

Yorker
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
her game is well suited for clay but there is 0% chance she would take down henin or kuznetsova on clay

AJDE ANA
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
well kuznetsova could won that match easily... and the first PLAYER was a Kim and she lost. i think that was the easiest draw in the history for one player who made in final

Brena
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
No. JJGOAT is winning it after having regained her glittery super-powers and her GOAT MTO skills. :worship: She'll crush Justine in the final and Kim in the SF. Oh, it'll be so awesome! :inlove:

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
well kuznetsova could won that match easily... and the first PLAYER was a Kim and she lost. i think that was the easiest draw in the history for one player who made in final

It wasn't even the easiest path to a Grand Slam final this year. Safina had an easier route to the final at the AO and FO, I'd even throw in Venus at Wimbledon.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
A "lucky draw" that included a reigning Grand Slam champion and a player who took out two top names. Right.

It wasn't even the easiest path to a Grand Slam final this year. Safina had an easier route to the final at the AO and FO, I'd even throw in Venus at Wimbledon.

I can't recall anyone reaching one's first slam final by overcoming the likes of Oudin and W:rolleyes:ckmayer in quarter- and semifinal. If this is not a lucky draw then what is this?

AJDE ANA
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I can't recall anyone reaching one's first slam final by overcoming the likes of Oudin and W:rolleyes:ckmayer in quarter- and semifinal. If this is not a lucky draw then what is this?

that's what i'm talking about! as a matter of fact she isn't player for winning gs she's a average player and now people are making big superstar of her.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
OK, Wozniacki's footwork may be impeccable, but her groundstrokes just have no bite, particularly on the clay. This would be her main downfall.

Dodoboy.
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
If Myskina did it, Caro can :shrug:
Draws fall apart, not the first time and won't be the last.

Elegante
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Wozniacki's game does not work on red clay I believe. Myskina's draw didn't "fall apart" she beat the intended players to get to the F, they were just all conveniently awful.

Nikkiri
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Next year? Def not.

Slutiana
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
:spit:

matthias
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
don´t think so
and i hope i´m right

Slutiana
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Can you explain?

AndreConrad
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I don't know if she will but she definitely can; she has a lot of time!
Next year? Def not.
Any specific reason you are so certain about it?

Elegante
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Wozniacki, like Simon, contrary to people thinking they would be successful on clay... they really are not. Wozniacki can be pushed back easily on clay because she actually needs a bit of pace form her opponent to give them back pace. Her shots do nothing on clay and don't really trouble any of the top threats to the title.

Besides being overly consistent in her play, you still need to be able to generate enough pace to hit a winner on clay. I don't think Wozniacki can consistently put any top clay player on clay enough to beat 2 or 3 of them to win the title.

Donny
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I don't see her beating Serena Kim Justine or Maria at a GS. Period. If she can avoid those players, then sure, I guess.

Vaidisova Ruled
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
and what about Kuzzie?

Nikkiri
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know if she will but she definitely can; she has a lot of time!

Any specific reason you are so certain about it?

Next year seems a bit soon and with Henin coming back and strong clay court players like Sveta and Dinara I'm just not sure Wozniacki would have a chance right now. Sorry I guess I shouldn't have been so certain. Of course its just my opinion.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM
and what about Kuzzie?

She made 62 UEs in that match so it doesn't count :p

Vaidisova Ruled
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Well, if I was playing against Kuzzie that day she would have made 48 winners and 0 UE...

Brena
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Sexlana... :bowdown::weirdo:

Well, one thing I suppose everyone could agree about is that Wozzie's game is based on thriving on her opponents UEs. She hasn't so far shown that she's able to beat a top player who doesn't happen to be on a UEing spree. It doesn't mean her game won't develop, but if she plays like she's played this season I don't think any draw could be lucky enough to help her win a GS title disregarding the surface. I don't see how she could beat a player like Serena, Kim or Henin. :shrug:

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wozniacki, like Simon, contrary to people thinking they would be successful on clay... they really are not. Wozniacki can be pushed back easily on clay because she actually needs a bit of pace form her opponent to give them back pace. Her shots do nothing on clay and don't really trouble any of the top threats to the title.

But she's recently been developing a more aggressive game, most notably at the SEC, which is what led me to my prediction. She's been employing more angles, using more width and moving her opponents around more. Aggressive yet patient play. That's exactly the right style for clay, and one almost no-one on the tour is able to come up with on a consistent basis right now.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Sexlana... :bowdown::weirdo:

Well, one thing I suppose everyone could agree about is that Wozzie's game is based on thriving on her opponents UEs. She hasn't so far shown that she's able to beat a top player who doesn't happen to be on a UEing spree. It doesn't mean her game won't develop, but if she plays like she's played this season I don't think any draw could be lucky enough to help her win a GS title disregarding the surface. I don't see how she could beat a player like Serena, Kim or Henin. :shrug:

She's already almost beaten Serena, and she gave Clijsters something to think about when they met.

Slutati
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Don't worry y'all it's not gonna happen. :lol:

Slutati
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Can you explain?
Of course he can't. :lol:

Brena
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
But she's recently been developing a more aggressive game, most notably at the SEC, which is what led me to my prediction. She's been employing more angles, using more width and moving her opponents around more. Aggressive yet patient play. That's exactly the right style for clay, and one almost no-one on the tour is able to come up with on a consistent basis right now.

Well, if those two factors somehow manage to overlap, she might have a chance. But even then, an on-form Henin or Kim would probably prove fatal (since the WS and Sharapova don't play well at RG, and the rest are complete psychos who can self-destruct in 5 minutes).

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
She's already almost beaten Serena, and she gave Clijsters something to think about when they met.

Wow, does that mean even Patty will win a GS next year?

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Well, if those two factors somehow manage to overlap, she might have a chance. But even then, an on-form Henin or Kim would probably prove fatal (since the WS and Sharapova don't play well at RG, and the rest are complete psychos who can self-destruct in 5 minutes).

I agree that if Henin rediscovers her best then she'll be too good for anyone on clay. That's a very big "if" though.

pwayne
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Yes, Caroline has a good chance to win as clay will slow down the mphs of the power players and Justine goal is to win Wimbledon.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, does that mean even Patty will win a GS next year?

Cute, but actually, I wasn't lising that as a reason for why Wozniacki will win a Slam; I was just refuting the claim that she isn't able to beat Serena/Clijsters.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Cute, but actually, I wasn't lising that as a reason for why Wozniacki will win a Slam; I was just refuting the claim that she isn't able to beat Serena/Clijsters.

And she isn't, atleast not when they are in a slam :shrug: She couldn't even beat an unmotivated non-GSrena; forget about beating her in a Slam :lol:

Brena
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM

But when she played Serena she didn't play the sort of game she's playing nowadays. And I didn't really got an impression Kim was in any kind of danger in that final, although she was herself far from her best. That's just my impression, of course, and I really can't predict Wozzie's plans for the future (how her game will evolve or not) or the mental and physical health of top players, but if Wozzie wins the RG or any other slam next year, I'll definitely be shocked (even more than in the case JJ wins one, so that would be a shock of massive proportions)

Break My Rapture
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
N.E.V.E.R. :rolleyes:
Unless ofcourse she gets a cakewalk draw like this year in Madrid, not facing a single seeded player up until the final where she gets thrashed by Safina. :p

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I won't even dignify reetard's usual bending of circumstances and context depending on whether it favours Serena...

But when she played Serena she didn't play the sort of game she's playing nowadays. And I didn't really got an impression Kim was in any kind of danger in that final, although she was herself far from her best. That's just my impression, of course, and I really can't predict Wozzie's plans for the future (how her game will evolve or not) or the mental and physical health of top players, but if Wozzie wins the RG or any other slam next year, I'll definitely be shocked (even more than in the case JJ wins one, so that would be a shock of massive proportions)

Clijsters wasn't playing her best because Wozniacki didn't let her play her best. She's the female Andy Murray in that respect; she frustrates her opponent and makes them doubt themselves and their game and play worse. Anyway, I agree that Wozniacki never really looked like she was on the brink of winning that final, but it WAS still a contest. That proves that Wozniacki simply isn't going to suffer blowouts when she comes up against the top girls, even if she'll usually be on the losing side off of clay.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I won't even dignify reetard's usual bending of circumstances and context depending on whether it favours Serena...

Translated as 'I cannot think of anything to say, so I just shut up'

I dont see how me saying 'She coudn't even beat an unmotivated-nonGSrena, how is she going to beat Slamrena, like you are claiming she can?' is twisting and bending the context.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Translated as 'I cannot think of anything to say, so I just shut up'

I dont see how me saying 'She coudn't even beat an unmotivated-nonGSrena, how is she going to beat Slamrena, like you are claiming she can?' is twisting and bending the context.

Because it's your usual ridiculous notion that a match that Serena does poorly in doesn't count, as well as ignoring the fact Wozniacki is clearly a much better player now than she was at the beginning of the year.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Because it's your usual ridiculous notion that a match that Serena does poorly in doesn't count, as well as ignoring the fact Wozniacki is clearly a much better player now than she was at the beginning of the year.

Any player plays badly when they are not motivated :shrug: so its easier to beat them (Isn't that why Henin was losing in 2008 too according to how you Heninfans? :lol:) Atleast I am using what Caro has shown as a basis for determining if she can beat Serena at a GS or not, unlike you who is using some crystal ball to tell if she will beat Serena (whom she couldn't even beat at a non-GS event) at a slam.

!Gio!
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Can Wozniacki win Roland Garros 2010? When pigs fly!

debby
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Azarenka easier than Oudin and Wickmayer ? :spit: ROFL.

AndreConrad
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Next year seems a bit soon and with Henin coming back and strong clay court players like Sveta and Dinara I'm just not sure Wozniacki would have a chance right now. Sorry I guess I shouldn't have been so certain. Of course its just my opinion.

Hey, no reason to feel sorry; I share your opinion. But I also love sport for the fact that it often surprises us so this is why I question certainty. :wavey:

Brena
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Clijsters wasn't playing her best because Wozniacki didn't let her play her best. She's the female Andy Murray in that respect; she frustrates her opponent and makes them doubt themselves and their game and play worse. Anyway, I agree that Wozniacki never really looked like she was on the brink of winning that final, but it WAS still a contest. That proves that Wozniacki simply isn't going to suffer blowouts when she comes up against the top girls, even if she'll usually be on the losing side off of clay.

Well, I think Clijsters wasn't playing her best because she had just gotten back from a two year break. I understand that Wozniacki's tactics are defensive ones and she seems to have the right (strong) mentality to be able to win without much strength and aggression.
However, I don't think that her game is good enough for slam titles or similar big wins. I'm probably (well, most definitely :lol:) biased, but if I compare Wozzie's best tennis and JJ's best tennis (because their style is similar, and JJ won a lot of matches herself by frustrating her more powerful opponents into errors), I'd say that JJ could do more than Wozzie can and she could do it better - JJ's defence was better, and she used much more offensive shots. And yet, it proved not to be enough for a slam title. Wozzie's mentality is obviously superior to JJ's, and she's probably smarter, but I still think 2007/08 JJ was a waaaaaay better player than 2009 Woz.

DiscoStick
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Possibly, but no.

dsanders06
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Azarenka easier than Oudin and Wickmayer ? :spit: ROFL.

No, but she is easier than Kuznetsova.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Can Wozniacki win Roland Garros 2010? When pigs fly!

:shrug:

http://www.batterseapowerstation.org.uk/press/pig_chimney.jpg

is1531
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I hope she does not win at Roland Garros, however I watch so many players play silly against her challenging her backhand, which only plays right into her trump card. If you play Wozniacki with stretegy Wozniacki should not win a major this year. If Wozniacki learns to use her forehand like her 2 hand backhand, then Caroline would no longer need to make her opponent spellbound. She would then have the tools to beat anybody and win any major tournament. Right now I just do not understand how they could have given Wickmayer a 1 year suspension, especially knowing how Agasse lied about taking drugs and the comission wanted to believe him anyway, since it's all about money.

!Gio!
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
:shrug:

http://www.batterseapowerstation.org.uk/press/pig_chimney.jpg

I am gonna call Peta, that's animal cruelty right there!
By the way that building looks like a giant Dild*:tape:

Chrissie-fan
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
By the way that building looks like a giant Dild*:tape:
It's the building of the Flemish anti-doping agency. :help:

delicatecutter
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM

And poor Sveta beat herself. :bigcry:

Uranus
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM

The Tour seems weaker than in 1999 though.

Let's see how it goes. I'm not counting her out.

hankqq
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think she'll do it in 2010, but I think she'll go deep in the draw :) she's improving all the time.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM

At Roland Garros Myskina played Molik, Kuznetsova, Venus, Capriati and Dementieva.

Bobisa
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
No. JJGOAT is winning it after having regained her glittery super-powers and her GOAT MTO skills. :worship: She'll crush Justine in the final and Kim in the SF. Oh, it'll be so awesome! :inlove:
:worship: you're right!!!

The 2nd Law
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Personally, I think that Caroline's best chance will come at Wimbledon, and in saying this I don't mean that I think she'll win it next year, I just feel that it's the slam she's best placed to win, especially after the Williams sisters retire. I will reiterate just in case: I don't think she will win Wimbledon or any other slam for at least the next year, I do however feel that she will reach at least the quarterfinals of a slam on two or more occasions next year.

Svetlana)))
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM
At Roland Garros Myskina played Molik, Kuznetsova, Venus, Capriati and Dementieva.

Oh please don't remind me of that match. Kuzzy had match point :banghead:

On topic: I just don't see it happening. Caroline has proven to be a MM whore and an occasional opportunist at bigger events but definitely not at the slams. Her loss at the slams has always been to inspired and players that step up i.e Dokic, Clijsters. In this era, it's no longer "Hey Martina. Hey Chris. See you in the final!" Many up and comers have the game to defeat her and she must be extremely lucky (more so than USO 09) to avoid playing one of them because pushing can only bring you so far.

delicatecutter
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM

:spit:

austennis
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:06 AM
why do people have to make this discussion about serena, the question was "can Caro win RG2010?". Not, how are Caros chances to win RG compared to Serena's chances to win USO in 98. It is possible to answer a question about another player without needing to continually promote the achievements of ur fave!.

For me , sure she can win but so can Vera, Jelena, Elena, Dinara who are also seeking that 1st trophy and so too can Sveta, Ana, Maria, Venus, Serena, KIm, and Justine

dabossK
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Radwanska will win it before her. I hope.

Roookie
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
why do people have to make this discussion about serena, the question was "can Caro win RG2010?". Not, how are Caros chances to win RG compared to Serena's chances to win USO in 98. It is possible to answer a question about another player without needing to continually promote the achievements of ur fave!.

For me , sure she can win but so can Vera, Jelena, Elena, Dinara who are also seeking that 1st trophy and so too can Sveta, Ana, Maria, Venus, Serena, KIm, and Justine

I agree. :)

betowiec
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
sure she can

Protoss
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM
It'd be great if she did but I don't see it happening. :shrug:

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Eventually she may win it, but my prediction is that she'll win the US Open first. I've actually been predicting that for a while now, but the fact she actually made it to the Final this year makes me even more confident that that will be her first :)

ivanban
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
She can win it. But, will she win it?! - NO

Jorn
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
She reached the Madrid Finale with all the best playing, but i doubt she can win FO next year. She will likely win other Grand Slam before she wins FO...

madmax
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
not even in her wildest dream...she will be lucky to reach another GS final with her pushing game

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
She reached the Madrid Finale with all the best playing

She reached Madrid final without facing a single top-20 player.

pokey camp
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Personally, I think that Caroline's best chance will come at Wimbledon, and in saying this I don't mean that I think she'll win it next year, I just feel that it's the slam she's best placed to win, especially after the Williams sisters retire. I will reiterate just in case: I don't think she will win Wimbledon or any other slam for at least the next year, I do however feel that she will reach at least the quarterfinals of a slam on two or more occasions next year.
Why Wimbledon though? I think that would be lower on the list of slams she's likely to win just based on her style of play.

She could win RG 2010 if the draw opens up like at the USO, but so far it's been her least successful slam results-wise and that's by a considerable margin.

Matt01
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
She reached Madrid final without facing a single top-20 player.

So? The draw could open up for her at RG next year, too. Wouldn't be the first time that happens and it wouldn't be her fault.

Elegante
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
When is the last time RG opened up in such that way. Myskina runs was not opening up, she beat all the seeds there, they just played badly...

$uricate
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Isn't Justine coming back next year?

MK Ultra
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
caro had an "easy" draw in the US open(except Kuznetsova, who said that she lost to herself)and if dementieva or sharapova won against oudin or everyone else, it would be much more dificult for her to reach the final.so I preety much feel like it's a matter of the draw.No offence to caro or her fans, but I think she has to change her game a little bit...

OsloErik
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I'm not convinced she can beat some of the players with hard topspin on clay. Kuznetsova, Henin, Clijsters, even Ivanovic (if she ever pulls herself together) would all be very difficult for her to take care of with high, heavy bounces. She could probably take out one, but two is a tough ask. She doesn't quite have the best sense of the surface yet. Someday, maybe, but 2010 is a bit soon.

dsanders06
May 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I will live and die by this thread. :)

BluSthil
May 29th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Doubtful... She would have to have a couple of sub-par performances from the "big Girls" !

Inger67
May 29th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I think she will make the SF after seeing her play. She seems to be doing quite well here. If Venus makes the SF, I hope she doesn't beat her :eek::bolt:

delicatecutter
May 29th, 2010, 12:31 AM
How many players have won a Slam without winning a Tier I first? This thread should have been "Can Wozniacki win Indian Wells/Miami/Madrid, etc 2010?"

Jajaloo
May 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Not if Serena, Jelena or Justine have anything to say about it. Although I want her to win a slam soon, just to stick it to a few people ;)

Pops Maellard
May 29th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Hell no. :lol:

In fact I think Pennetta will beat her R4. :bounce:

Ryan
May 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I see her losing to Flavia, but I wouldn't be shocked if she won based on their H2H. Still, a QF would be excellent. SF - amazing. Final/Win? I think my head would explode, just like the Board. :lol:

TennisFan66
May 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
It took me a few seconds before I noticed this thread was started last year!! ... But yes, Caro CAN win RG and IMO she also WILL win RG (one day). If in 2010, well let's see her win Vs Flavia first. One match at a time please.

If Caro does indeed win RG 2010, I hope the OP is made life-time honorable TF member ..:worship:

kman
May 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I said that about mediocre players like Caroline who has already played in 12 Grandslams and has just 1 top 10 victory. Serena ahd played in only 6 grandslams before she won hers, she didn't have as much time as Wozniacki to rack up top 10 victories either

(Plus Serena was an exception, and she had proved that she was an exception by destroying all those players at huge level tournaments, caro hasn't done that either)

But at least Caroline doesn't look like Myke Tyson in a dress.

kman
May 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
How many players have won a Slam without winning a Tier I first? This thread should have been "Can Wozniacki win Indian Wells/Miami/Madrid, etc 2010?"

slam final > tier 1

we've been over this before so shut up

VIKA?
May 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
let's bring on the jinx:hearts::o

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Highly unlikely but by no means impossible.

gentenaire
May 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
She's got an easy draw so it's not impossible. But I honestly hope not.

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Well, so can Chanelle Scheepers. Lets see what happens. ;)

madmax
May 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
No as long as there are players who know how to hit a winner

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
She's got an easy draw so it's not impossible. But I honestly hope not.

She has the easiest draw EVER.

Pops Maellard
May 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
let's bring on the jinx:hearts::o
Caro's game puts her own jinx on her, she doesn't need us. :lol:

lovlenad
May 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM
no ,she was stopped by the real fighter~~~

OsloErik
Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
When is the last time RG opened up in such that way. Myskina runs was not opening up, she beat all the seeds there, they just played badly...

Well, this year sort of counts, but she didn't convert. And of course Schiavone beating her assisted in opening up the draw.

dsanders06
Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
So... I was wrong.

Nevertheless, I do still think her best chances at a Slam are at RG.