PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Aravane Rezai does not rule out the possibility of wearing the headscarf

spiceboy
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
...once her tennis career is over.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/11/08/rezai-just-wants-enjoy-her-game.html

Rezai just wants to enjoy her game

Musthofid , The Jakarta Post , Nusa Dua, Bali | Sun, 11/08/2009 2:22 PM | Sports

Aravane Rezai is one of the few Muslim players on the women's tennis tour. With her commitment to the sport she loves, there are some things in the practice of her religion that she is putting off until a later day.

"I'm a Muslim and I respect a lot of things. And I try to do what I have to do, and respect what I have to. But there are some things that I can't do now, like covering my head," Rezai, 22, said before her semifinal on Saturday at the Commonwealth Bank Tournament of Champions.

She added that she does not rule out the possibility of wearing the headscarf, ".later in my life, after my tennis career is over."

Born in St. Etienne, France, to parents of Iranian descent, she holds dual French-Iranian citizenship. As a teenager she - played for her parents' homeland in the Islamic Solidarity Games in Tehran in 2005, winning two golds - at the expense of the Indonesian team.

"Yes, I remember playing Indonesia in the final and that I won two gold medals," she said. She defeated Wynne Prakusya in the singles, before teaming with Shadi Tabatabai to beat Wynne and Ayu Fani Damayanti in the doubles.

Rezai has not faced the pressure felt by some Muslim players, including Sania Mirza of India, who was denounced by a religious group for not wearing Islamic attire on court.
She sympathizes with the Indian.
"I was born in France and I play for France, while she plays for India where there are many Muslims. I just want people to understand her."

One of three children, Rezai began playing tennis at the age of 8 under the tutelage of her father Arsalan (her mother, Nouchine, is a physiotherapist). Her game is built around powerful groundstrokes.
"She told me her father wanted her to hit the ball as hard as she could from the time she was very young," said Spaniard Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, who lost to her in Saturday's semifinals.

Rezai's form has gradually improved, and 2009 has been a particularly good year. She took her first title, on clay in Strasbourg, in May, which made her eligible for Bali, and then reached the fourth round at the French Open, her best showing at a Grand Slam.
She avenged her loss in Paris to Dinara Safina by beating the then world number one in Toronto in August.

"It has been much better in the last two years and I will work hard to be in the top 20," she said.

After three consecutive first round losses in Beijing, Linz and Luxembourg, she went on a giant-killing spree this week. Ranked 44th in the world and the 10th seed, she came back from a first set thrashing to overcome Sabine Lisicki, the 4th seed and world number 25, and then beat 8th seed and world 38 Melinda Czink, to win her group in the round-robin event.
She stunned Martinez Sanchez, the 6th seed ranked 30 in the world, to set up a final showdown with compatriot Marion Bartoli, the top seed, on Sunday.
She is guaranteed US$100,000 by reaching the final, and double that amount if she wins, by far the biggest paycheck of her career (her career earnings going into Bali were 981,000).

Accompanied by her parents, she has been a smiling presence during the tournament, pronouncing everything to be "perfect" and visiting the media center to pick up copies of clippings about her.

Rezai is taking things easy and not putting too much pressure on herself.
"It comes from a lot of work that I did before," she says of her gains. "I have nothing to lose. I just play my game, be relaxed and that works. "After Bali, I'll go home and practice, and let's see what's going on."

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
go caravane! :banana:

Pops Maellard
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Is Aravane Indian descent?

Valanga
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
:eek:

delicatecutter
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Iranian. ;) I take it you didn't read the article. :lol:

heart
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM

iranian;) as said in the article

Pops Maellard
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Iranian. ;) I take it you didn't read the article. :lol:
Sorry, I just skimmed the article. :)

pav
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
All these imaginary religions,not a scrap of proof, parents wean their children off the tooth fairy and santa clause ,why do some persist with this religion rubbish,some sort of god looking over us, ridiculous! All tied up with not facing up to when you die, that's it, all over.

The Prophet
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
All these imaginary religions,not a scrap of proof, parents wean their children off the tooth fairy and santa clause ,why do some persist with this religion rubbish,some sort of god looking over us, ridiculous! All tied up with not facing up to when you die, that's it, all over.

Ah, the inane ramblings of the spiritually ignorant. So entertaining. :lol:

Joana
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Meh, whatever floats her boat (the one she used to carry her van over to Australia). Obviously she's not a religious freak if she's playing tennis in the first place.

Alizé Molik
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM
she has worn the headscarfe before, when she was in Iran I remember seeing her wearing it in news reports and the like.

From my understanding it is a choice that each woman makes, and it's not un heard of to wear it, then decide not to and then wear it again. It's not the oppresive thing most people make it out to be.

drake3781
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:01 AM

ITA, but a lot of people like it! They get a community, and some additional thoughts to occupy their minds. As long as they aren't oppressing it on the rest of us, I have decided to let them be. Would not most of them carry on with it, even if somehow a message "came down" that said "This is it, folks, no afterlife!!"? Yes, because it makes them feel good and they enjoy it!

I'm not impressed with your spirituality; you are both abrasive and condescending. You are doing no favors for whatever religion you subscribe to. :rolleyes:

drake3781
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:08 AM
she has worn the headscarfe before, when she was in Iran I remember seeing her wearing it in news reports and the like.

From my understanding it is a choice that each woman makes, and it's not un heard of to wear it, then decide not to and then wear it again. It's not the oppresive thing most people make it out to be.

Wearing a headscarf while visiting Iran is wholly different from wearing one in France or in world travels post- pro tennis.

We are talking here about her choice. It must be understood that Aravane has a choice, while other Muslim women have no choice and must wear not only headscarf but complete cover from top of head to toes. The day we see Aravane choose to wear such a thing will not happen, but if it did, then we can say, "It's not the oppresive thing most people make it out to be."

thegreendestiny
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Sorry, I just skimmed the article. :)

I'm sorry but your skimming skills are very poor. Even a half-blind reader can see the Iranian part.:angel:

Six Feet Under
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I'm sorry but your skimming skills are very poor. Even a half-blind reader can see the Iranian part.:angel:

Give them a break :rolleyes:

Imperfect Angel
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Didn't know she's a Muslim.:eek: :D :yeah:

pav
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Go to any city there is always some crazy bastard on a street corner preaching, I remember one in Cleveland on an early teens trip to the states, and the little bugger would ring a bell to emphasise his points,why not make him the next god or messiah? Would make as much sense, look at half the world caught up in the childish game of "My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend" It is so stupid!(and would be amusing if so many people were not getting killed because of it)

Alizé Molik
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Wearing a headscarf while visiting Iran is wholly different from wearing one in France or in world travels post- pro tennis.

We are talking here about her choice. It must be understood that Aravane has a choice, while other Muslim women have no choice and must wear not only headscarf but complete cover from top of head to toes. The day we see Aravane choose to wear such a thing will not happen, but if it did, then we can say, "It's not the oppresive thing most people make it out to be."

there are women in Iran that don't wear it. :confused: Obviously under the Taliban and in Afghanistan things are different and yes in Iran a lot of absuses are perpetrated against people in the name of religion but removed from politicization yes there is a choice.

I know it's hard to understand as a western person, but some women who chose to wear the complete head to toe covering do so because they want to.

ZODIAC
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM
She is a very feminine looking player

frenchie
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
why not wearing a burka??

WonderfulLee
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM
i remember when i saw her in Bali last week, two womans wearing veil and asking photo with her. her father in proud voice told them that aravane is moslem too...

she is nice girl, always smile and seem very down to earth.

drake3781
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
there are women in Iran that don't wear it. :confused: Obviously under the Taliban and in Afghanistan things are different and yes in Iran a lot of absuses are perpetrated against people in the name of religion but removed from politicization yes there is a choice.

I know it's hard to understand as a western person, but some women who chose to wear the complete head to toe covering do so because they want to.

I'm not disagreeing with you - just completing some thoughts. I don't find your response to have anything to do with the statements I made. And don't see why you should be :confused: .

Some women in Iran do not wear headscarf - as you say - is true. That is not an argument that Aravane wearing a headscarf in Iran is similar to her wearing one in France or other Western nations.

Some women wear full burka and head and face cover willingly - as you say - is true. That is not an argument that many/most/all women wearing these garments do so willingly, and have a choice with no repercussions for not doing so.

markdelaney
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Every woman regardless of their religion, has to cover their head, when out in public, in Iran. It is not a choice in that country for any woman to make.

Alizé Molik
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you - just completing some thoughts. I don't find your response to have anything to do with the statements I made. And don't see why you should be :confused: .

Some women in Iran do not wear headscarf - as you say - is true. That is not an argument that Aravane wearing a headscarf in Iran is similar to her wearing one in France or other Western nations.

Some women wear full burka and head and face cover willingly - as you say - is true. That is not an argument that many/most/all women wearing these garments do so willingly, and have a choice with no repercussions for not doing so.

i guess my point was, how do you know if they are willing or not? How can anyone know without speaking to every muslim woman in the middle east?

Sam L
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
...once her tennis career is over.

That's what I thought. I can't imagine how uncomfortable and hot it would be to play tennis with a headscarf. :)

timafi
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
whatever makes her happy:shrug:

pov
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What's really ridiculous (and amusing) is when people like you show how threatened you are by what your own personal framework can't expand to encompass. I'm not religious but the tripe in your post is much akin to the strictest dogmas found in any religion.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Well, live and let live. I'm not very religious myself, but if others get some comfort out of believing in a God - let them. As long as they don't force their religion upon anybody else I'm ok with it. Besides - you never know. Maybe they know something that the rest of us don't. :lol: ;)

Personally I'm not in favor of indoctrinating children with religious dogma, but there's no way to prevent that from happening. In an ideal world everyone would only be introduced to religion at an age when they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want religion in their lifes or not.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Every woman regardless of their religion, has to cover their head, when out in public, in Iran. It is not a choice in that country for any woman to make.

Yes but it only requires a headscarf not a full on burkha or chador by law.

Also men have certain clothing restrictions also, such as no tight trousers no showing of the torso or legs.

Joana
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Well, live and let live. I'm not very religious myself, but if others get some comfort out of believing in a God - let them. As long as they don't force their religion upon anybody else I'm ok with it.

The very nature of religion is to force itself upon everybody else.

améliemomo
Nov 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM

She has iranian roots from her parents, just read the article;)

as for aravane I recognize myself in her own situation. Wearing a headscarf is not an obligation. Islam is very tolerant and if you read the Quran you can see it. Wearing a headsarf must be a personal choice. Islam doesnt force women to wear it, it is Men who do that.
as for aravane she's right, when she'll feel the need to wear it she'll do it but for now she's a tennis player and is happy with that.
Everything right in her way of thinking. Go aravane,good luck for next year!

Talula
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM

I would replace 'some' with 'a few', and even those are only doing it because they have been taught from a VERY early age to do so.

If children were left alone and not taught such things they wouldn't decide to do it.

There's a wonderful song in 'South Pacific' called 'You've Got To Be Carefully Taught'.

Talula
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
She has iranian roots from her parents, just read the article;)

as for aravane I recognize myself in her own situation. Wearing a headscarf is not an obligation. Islam is very tolerant and if you read the Quran you can see it. Wearing a headsarf must be a personal choice. Islam doesnt force women to wear it, it is Men who do that.
as for aravane she's right, when she'll feel the need to wear it she'll do it but for now she's a tennis player and is happy with that.
Everything right in her way of thinking. Go aravane,good luck for next year!

I agree. As in all religions, it is 'man' who has distorted the aims of the religion for their own ends.

Having said that I also find it disgraceful the way some Westerners behave in other countries. I don't agree with women having to cover up, but I also loathe the way some Western women/girls now carry on.

miffedmax
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Damn, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Aravane is just talking about making a choice for herself. Now, if she were to start insisting that the women in my family have to cover their heads, then I'd have a problem.

Just as I'm sure that some people will have a problem with the mandatory bangs law after I help set Lena D. up as Czarina of the World. (I of course will be her Prime Minister, Keeper of the Golden Scissors, and Chief Writer of Fulsome Praise for the Supreme Bangs of the World. But please note the mandatory bangs law will be secular).

Aravanecaravan
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Just as I'm sure that some people will have a problem with the mandatory bangs law after I help set Lena D. up as Czarina of the World. (I of course will be her Prime Minister, Keeper of the Golden Scissors, and Chief Writer of Fulsome Praise for the Supreme Bangs of the World. But please note the mandatory bangs law will be secular).

Yeah, I have a problem with the mandatory bangs law. Have you ever seen Sharapova with bangs? Or her gal pal Camilla Belle? Let's just say not everybody looks good in bangs.

Now Aravane, well, IMO she looks good in anything....

Alizé Molik
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I would replace 'some' with 'a few', and even those are only doing it because they have been taught from a VERY early age to do so.

If children were left alone and not taught such things they wouldn't decide to do it.

There's a wonderful song in 'South Pacific' called 'You've Got To Be Carefully Taught'.

but you only think it's wrong to teach girls that it's a good thing to do because you disagree with it. For someone who believes that the Qur'an is true and God's word, well yes they're going to want their children to know it.

Donny
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I have a problem with the mandatory bangs law. Have you ever seen Sharapova with bangs? Or her gal pal Camilla Belle? Let's just say not everybody looks good in bangs.

Now Aravane, well, IMO she looks good in anything....

I actually think Sharapova looks better in bangs than without.

Donny
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:10 AM

You can say the same thing about any number of customs.

Aravanecaravan
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's important to realize the context in which statements like this are made. She mentioned Sania Mirza and her experiences and thus it is reasonable to assume that her answer was framed in response to a question about that incident. Indonesia has the world's largest Muslim population. I'm sure the last thing Aravane wanted to do was say something that would offend the fans who cheered for her. Making this statement in Indonesia would certainly play differently than it would in France, no? In a way, this is very much like telling the fans at any tournament that they are the best fans in the world, etc. etc. It's a nice, politically correct, endearing thing to say. In this vein, she said she would "consider" wearing the headscarf....

Perhaps Aravane is sincere in and certain of what she is saying, though whenever I've seen her mother and sister in the stands at tournaments they have been dressed in casual western clothing. Or maybe she is saying she would consider wearing the headscarf in her married life if her husband insisted on that. But let's face it, she's 22 years old, a very young adult who still does a lot of "kid things" like taking computer with her everywhere to goof around, hanging out with friends, renting movies...it's doubtful that she has had enough time and experience in life to think a great deal about the customs of Iran. Or maybe she has.

Regardless, it would be nice if Aravane would also consider marrying me and adopting a very hedonistic, Western, infidel-plagued life like mine....we already have in common the love of nutella....

Alizé Molik
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
i heart mimi, i think you have summed up this thread nicely, so i say to you, bonne chance :)

is1531
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
She can do what she wants, but I never rooted for her before and I would not root for her now. She was born in France, but that's where it ends.She is 5ft5", but hits the ball like a 5ft 9" player. The Iranian soldier is tough.

jacobruiz
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Here is an article and photos of an Iranian woman who decided to not wear a proper headscarf...
http://kamangir.net/2007/05/21/iranian-bloggers-raid-against-police-brutality/

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
pretty girl. love her smile. i'll start paying more attention to her now to see if i like her game and/or personality. seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

AndreConrad
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Good for Aravane, she seems like a nice young womes, a pretty face, too.

All of you who are questioning religions or cultures you probably did not put much thought into your opinions. There is always more then one way to do things; it doesn't mean that you have to find diffrent way. What's the point? What is important that we know how to achieve certain result, the culture (and religion often is part of the local culture) does not impose limitations, but guidance how to do things. This way we know what to expect in our lifes and let's us focus on things that require creativity. Inventing things that have been already invented doesn't bring a lot of value. Artists are known to question things that we are used to doing and in fact this is also cultural process (part of the culture), they make us rethink sometimes things we are used to and perhaps slowly change. It is still a process and for society and it doesn't happen overnight. In any event wearing head scarf or even burkha works for some cultures just fine, perhaps they will change gradually. For this same reason, we in the western world, are not walking around topless (or bottomless); in fact we don't have the choice to do that. If you think you do have the choice, go ahead and try it.

barboza
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
This day will come

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/071215/071215-headscarf-hmed-1130a.hmedium.jpg

barboza
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I honestly doubt that Rezai will wear a headscarf. I think she's just saying it for the media, given her win in Indonesia.

BournemouthBoy
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
i saw a baby today in the supermarket with a blanket over her face, i was quite disterbed to find out this behaviour is considered normal in some parts of the world.

miffedmax
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
This day will come

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/071215/071215-headscarf-hmed-1130a.hmedium.jpg

On the other hand, the girls are getting out and playing sports, which is hardly in keeping with repressing them.

It's a conundrum. Sort of like whether a slam is better than bangs.

Alizé Molik
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Here is an article and photos of an Iranian woman who decided to not wear a proper headscarf...
http://kamangir.net/2007/05/21/iranian-bloggers-raid-against-police-brutality/

sure. we are talking headscarfe which is manditory in Iran, not burqa or full body covering.

Joana
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
sure. we are talking headscarfe which is manditory in Iran, not burqa or full body covering.

That's your reaction to a photo of a beaten woman? :unsure:

Markus
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't get it. Religion is as far as I know not about choosing the right time to practice it? If she considers herself as a Muslim she should wear the headscarf all the time. To say, at first I want to make as much money as I want and after that I will obey to all of Allah's rules, that is quite ridiculous.
I am really glad to be an atheist and don't have to deal with these kind of questions...

Alizé Molik
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:08 AM
That's your reaction to a photo of a beaten woman? :unsure:

stop trolling. :rolleyes: unless you have something to add to the discussion don't post. This thread isn't about how bad things are in Iran, it's about Rezaď.

Joana
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
stop trolling. :rolleyes: unless you have something to add to the discussion don't post. This thread isn't about how bad things are in Iran, it's about Rezaď.

Uhm, you're trolling since you first posted incorrect information (that women are not obliged to wear headscarfs in Iran) and when showed otherwise replied in a manner that didn't make sense.

drake3781
Nov 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I don't get it. Religion is as far as I know not about choosing the right time to practice it? If she considers herself as a Muslim she should wear the headscarf all the time. To say, at first I want to make as much money as I want and after that I will obey to all of Allah's rules, that is quite ridiculous.
I am really glad to be an atheist and don't have to deal with these kind of questions...

Good point.

AndreConrad
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I am not an expert on the religion, but I don't think wearing a scarf is about religion. It is more about the culture. Aravane today still identifies with her origins, but she wants to be a tennis player. She displays support for her culture to the extend she believes is reasonable given her lifestyle. What is more important she is respectful.

madlove
Nov 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
it doesnt matter... lets all hope she'll have a good 2010 season!

DevilishAttitude
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
If Rezai wants to show herself as a repressed victim, I guess that's upto her.. I find it absolutely bemusing that Aravane, who now is a French citizen, feels she should symbolise one of the offensive aspects of Islam to me by wearing a headscarf after years of having more modern values and living in much more forward-thinking culture. If she thinks that it will make her a better person, she is only fooling herself.

spiceboy
May 16th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Caravane, you can go back to Iran and wear that thing NOW. You won't be missed :yawn:

JonBcn
May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
The sheer amount of tut-tutting, purse-lipped judgemental know-betters on this board are slowly turning me into a confirmed Rezai supporter.

Noctis
May 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Someone called Her a Taliban Bomber yesterday on TF.
I am already Astonished

heart
May 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
my muslim friend doesnt wear a headscarf. according to her its up to the person:shrug:

azdaja
May 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
i know a muslim girl who used to wear a headscarf only for ramadan. the thing about freedom of religion is precisely that you can decide how religious you want to be and how to practice it. when religion is imposed on you like in iran things tend to get nasty.

but i do agree that she probably said all this because she was talking to a newspaper from a muslim country.

Steff_forever
May 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM
hey, already 2 of us :eek:

"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too"

see our own clergymen

miffedmax
May 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Islam has as many denominations and viewpoints as Christianity (or other religions). Dividing it into Sunni and Shia is about like splitting Christians into Catholic and Protestant. It's sort of the most basic split, but even within those two groups you have dozens of major (and hundreds of minor) lines who have disagreements of what they consider critical points of doctrine.

Jolene
May 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM
If she wants to wear a headscarf, she will; if she doesn't, she won't. Why should anyone else care? It's her decision, not yours.

Serenita
May 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I am already Astonished

Doesn't surprise me one bit. :(

lilimi
May 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
why is thread still here?
It's not about Aravane tennis, We're not religion specialists, no one should have the right to judge her beliefs. I don't know what is worse : religious people criticizing other because they're not religious enough (if they believe in God or any other powerful entity, shouldn't be this God the only person allowed to judge people? :shrug: ) or atheist people saying other people are not good believers (if they're atheist, how can they know about religion? :shrug: ).I nevr understood why threads about players' sexuality or religion are on General Messages...

Just Do It
May 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
why is thread still here?
It's not about Aravane tennis, We're not religion specialists, no one should have the right to judge her beliefs. I don't know what is worse : religious people criticizing other because they're not religious enough (if they believe in God or any other powerful entity, shouldn't be this God the only person allowed to judge people? :shrug: ) or atheist people saying other people are not good believers (if they're atheist, how can they know about religion? :shrug: ).I nevr understood why threads about players' sexuality or religion are on General Messages...

This is a free forum. Why would anyones religion be a taboo theme ?

A-Min
May 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Headscarf .... :s
not so good idea

roelc
May 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
aravane is not some youngster like wozniacki, she's "already" 23, but only top-100 for a short time i think.
what's her story? why such a late break-through?

Talula
May 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Why does wearing a headscarf matter? Thousands of girls do so in London - working in offices, shops, banks etc.

Aravne is extremely pretty and a headscarf wont detract from that or her identity. In fact I think many muslim girls look very nice in their headscarfs.

I would much rather see Aravne in a headscarf rather than getting it all out for everyone to see like Brtiney, Cheryl and the tarts we see on British streets.

And as for those having a dig at religion, there is nothing wrong with a little self discipline and respect, even if it is for a religion. Better for the self-esteem and health to follow a religion than some of the schlock served up in the media!

azdaja
May 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
This is a free forum. Why would anyones religion be a taboo theme ?
this is a tennis forum and this is not about aravane's tennis. this should probably be in her forum, but i guess only positive threads get moved to player's forums or something :rolleyes:

Talula
May 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
i saw a baby today in the supermarket with a blanket over her face, i was quite disterbed to find out this behaviour is considered normal in some parts of the world.

And if it was covered in a blanket how did you know it was a girl?! Or didn't have the flu or a chill? Or allergies? Or just being protected by a loving mother?

Getting your tits out for a few quid is also considered very abnormal in some countries.

Serenita
May 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
And if it was covered in a blanket how did you know it was a girl?! Or didn't have the flu or a chill? Or allergies? Or just being protected by a loving mother?

Getting your tits out for a few quid is also considered very abnormal in some countries.
:lol:

mykarma
:shrug: It's really no big deal.

spiceboy
aravane is not some youngster like wozniacki, she's "already" 23, but only top-100 for a short time i think.

several years already

Serenita
May 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Did she thank Allah in her speech today?

roelc
May 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
several years already

yeah you're right, don't know how i missed that :confused:

spiceboy
May 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Why does wearing a headscarf matter? Thousands of girls do so in London - working in offices, shops, banks etc.

Aravne is extremely pretty and a headscarf wont detract from that or her identity. In fact I think many muslim girls look very nice in their headscarfs.

I would much rather see Aravne in a headscarf rather than getting it all out for everyone to see like Brtiney, Cheryl and the tarts we see on British streets.

It's funny how you ask for respect when wearing the scarf while insulting those who decide to dress more "lightly" :rolleyes:

Just Do It
May 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM
this is a tennis forum and this is not about aravane's tennis. this should probably be in her forum, but i guess only positive threads get moved to player's forums or something :rolleyes:

Wouldn't headscarf affect her game ?

mykarma
May 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm sure atheist can read. She said it was her choice as to when she would wear her scarf but you've decided to mandate that she should wear it all of the time. :shrug:

azdaja
May 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
probably. she said she won't wear it as long as she plays tennis. therefore it has nothing to do with her tennis.

mykarma
May 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good point.
All sects of Islam don't require women to cover their heads while in public just as all Jewish sects don't require that men cover their heads. I do think that most require women to cover their heads while worshiping at the mosque.

Talula
May 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
It's funny how you ask for respect when wearing the scarf while insulting those who decide to dress more "lightly" :rolleyes:

I suggest you trawl the streets of Britain. Respect is about not causing offence. A head scarf does not cause offence. Being fat, drunk, high, ugly, with a foul mouth, pewking up, being physically violent, needing an ambulance for your own vileness, and showing your knickers and boobs IS. And that is what many British girls do. That is not 'dressing lightly'. Give me a girl in a head scarf as my neighbour any day!

Talula
May 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM

No. Players wear caps:shrug:

spiceboy
May 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I suggest you trawl the streets of Britain. Respect is about not causing offence. A head scarf does not cause offence. Being fat, drunk, high, ugly, with a foul mouth, pewking up, being physically violent, needing an ambulance for your own vileness, and showing your knickers and boobs IS. And that is what many British girls do. That is not 'dressing lightly'. Give me a girl in a head scarf as my neighbour any day!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I2uQkGxIykM/Sbzmqsz9NzI/AAAAAAAADLA/fLSIF7xdbUg/s1600/Its_Cute%2Bevilmilk.jpg

Just Do It
May 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
No. Players wear caps:shrug:

Are you for real ? You can't equalize a cap and a veil.

mykarma
May 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I am already Astonished
I hope they got banned for such a racist comment.

You're kidding right?

tennisbum79
May 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
If she decides to go aheead and wear the headscraf, her new acquired popularity would be a headache for the French goverment.

Here is the first muslim woman tennis of not in France, with a strong and assertive personality, which would be an inspiring quality for young female muslims in France, and she is going to challenge a proposed law that seeks to ban wearing of scarfs in public.

It is a delicate and tricky situation for the French goverment, and president Sarkozy in particular.
How to push the passage of this law without being seen as showing hostility to young female muslim, who could look up to Rezai, the new French tennis sensation, speaking up against such law.
If recent history is an indication, Rezai may not mince her words expressing her view about this.

jacobruiz
May 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
If she just wants to wear a headscarf - fine. If she feels at all pressured to wear it because of someone else's beliefs then no.

azdaja
May 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Are you for real ? You can't equalize a cap and a veil.
nore can you equalise veil and headscarf :p

azdaja
May 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I am already Astonished
saw that. very uncalled for :help:

gardengnome3
May 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_VaAdXLRWg

Money, celebrity, showing off your body. Wow.

gardengnome3
May 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
even more interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDv-iVov-s&feature=related

clonesheep
May 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Aravane looks great in headscarf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY8rrAZyBkM&feature=related

tennisbum79
May 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
even more interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDv-iVov-s&feature=related
The 2 clips are so different.

With the scarf and speech pattern, and demeanor, she sound more innocent, humble on Iranian TV and very deferential.

On Frecnh TV, she know her audience and spinning in a way to get the most out of the topic: celebrity.
How to acquire it, keep it and what it is good for.

Zamboni
May 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
No more tennisrelated arguments to be added here, and the thread is steering too far away from tennis now, so I'm closing it.