PDA

View Full Version : 90's - Wozniacki, Cirstea, Cornet, Kvitova, U.Rad'ka, Voegele, Morita, Sevatsova,

poorsy
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I am so unsure at what age women need to start accomplishing things if we think they can be a future grand slam champion? All first time grand slam champions happen at such a young age unless you disinclude J-Cap (but she probably would of) and Lindsey Davenport. Martina H, Venus, Serena, Sveta, Justine, Maria, Kim (actually she was 22) were all 20and under.

I look at the list of these 19 year olds in the top 100 at the moment and i honestly dont think any of these girls have a chance of winning a slam apart from Wozniacki and that would be a slim chance. I actually think the only other girl who has a big enough game is Kvitova. I am wishing for good things for her over the next two years and to be honest I forgot how young she still is. I still cant believe Cornet is only 19. It upset me watching her now as she looks so depressed playing. She has about 10 years left potentially on the circuit.

Would love to hear some views on if you think of any of these are going to really breakthrough obvioulsy not counting Woz

Wozniacki
Cirstea
Cornet
Kvitova
U.Rad'ka
Voegele
Morita
Sevatsova

simonsaystennis
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I was expecting Ula to do more by now. Cirstea has an outside chance at the French. She has some game on clay. Cornet seems to have hit a wall.

Azarenka is a young 20 year old... I think she or Caroline will be the next of the "next gen" to win a slam.

Привет
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Is it really that hard to type out the whole name 'Radwanska'? :lol: You've only missed out 4 letters, not like it would've saved much time.

poorsy
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
run out of space on title thread!

Привет
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Oh ok, sorry. :lol:

Slutiana
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Sorana has game, so much game. She's been injured for so long though. Doctors, parents and everyone told her to call it a season but she decided to keep on playing and now she has a stress fracture or something and has been on crutches for the last weeks, AO isn't certain. :sad: But if she keeps improving as she has been then hopefully she can begin to realise her potential on clay AND on hardcourts. I love Steffi and I like Ula too but I don't think any of the rest are GS material.

Wozniacki winning a slam would be catastrophic for the game tenniswise.

poorsy
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Wozniacki winning a slam would be and wouldnt be. I think she is a great personality, she fights so hard and has a great smile. I would rather see her winning one than awful Azarenka who really showed her true colours at SEC of being a disgusting spoilt brat. Her chances will be slimmer next year as well. I imagine the top 8 next year to be in this order - Serena, Kuzzy, Clijsters, Sharapova, Venus, Henin, Jankovic and Azarenka. Could be a golden era next year with some great match ups and great rivalries and I could see it being Venus last season as well. I cant wait for the Henin Williams matches and some Sharapova v Williams as well. Clijsters v Sharapova is always good too. Jankovic against Henin, Clisjters and Williams is also great. Bring it on 2010!

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Playing are taking longer to develop than was the case 10, 20 even 5 years ago. So we really can throw out the "if you haven't won a slam by 20 you are not going to win one" logic. Look at the current generation. We currently have only 3 Grand Slam champions under the age of 26. The Williams sisters and the Belgium girls aren't going to be around for ever. Nor do Sharapova, Kuznetsova or Ivanovic look to me to be players who are going to rack up a huge amount of addition Slams. At some point the younger generation is going to take over. But the thing is, the younger generation isn't going to be so young when it happens.

Could this generation be superceded by an even younger more talented generation? Yes it could. But it sure doesn't look on the cards right now. The age at which players are normally breaking into the top 100 is increasing all the time and the 15 to 17 year olds emerging onto the circuit right now certainly don't appear to be any better than the 18 to 21 year olds.

None of this means any of the players named in thread title is assured of winning a Slam, although I suspect one or two might. I also wouldn't dismiss the chances of the many talented 19, 20 and 21 year olds in the game right now. Infact I wouldn't rule out any player winning a first Slam solely on the basis of age until they are at least 25. And even then, well, I think a few of us still think Elena Dementieva is still in with a chance for at least another year or so. To conclude I suspect there are at least one or two future Slam winners aged 18 to 21 lurking out there, that most of us, myself included, have simply overlooked, who will suprise a lot of people in the future.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
None of these girls will win a slam. To be honest I think we can expect the women in their 20s to keep winning the slams for the next few years, and then the generation after these girls might come along and win one, but none of these girls have it. They either have the wrong game, the wrong mentality, or both.

hellas719
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I think Cirstea and Wozniacki CAN, but not in the next few years as there is too much competition :shrug:

Aryman3
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Aga and Ula by far. I expect them to win more than one slam.
Not only very talented but they have very good coach as well

AnomyBC
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:24 AM
All first time grand slam champions happen at such a young age unless you disinclude J-Cap (but she probably would of) and Lindsey Davenport.

What about Mauresmo? Wasn't she like 26 or 27?

In any case, I think Wozniacki certainly CAN and WILL win multiple slams, it's just a question of how long it will take her to achieve that. I don't really think any other player born in 1990 or 1991 will win one, but the next most likely is probably Pavly, as I said in the other thread (she needs to maybe drop a few pounds though.)

Duramont
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Alizé Cornet said in an interview during Luxembourg that she wants to show again in 2010 why she has been number 11 in the world. Her poor results this season where also due to her shoulder injury and she lost self confidence. In the last tournaments she showed some encouring signs again.

I think that she can make it far at Grand Slams (SF) in a couple of years, but her mental toughness at such important matches is the big question mark. She was only one game away to reach the quarters of Australian Open on hard last season. Her biggest chance to make quarterfinal or semifinal is in Roland Garros as her game fits really well on clay.

I am not impressed at all by Urszula Radwanska. Yes she is Agnieszka's sister but she has yet to prove alot.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
What about Mauresmo? Wasn't she like 26 or 27?

In any case, I think Wozniacki certainly CAN and WILL win multiple slams, it's just a question of how long it will take her to achieve that. I don't really think any other player born in 1990 or 1991 will win one, but the next most likely is probably Pavly, as I said in the other thread (she needs to maybe drop a few pounds though.)
I think you're being a bit overconfident.

olivero
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
"URadka" :bigcry::lol:

poorsy
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I also think Urla is good, she has such great feel. The power off her racket just seems to be natrual, and I think she can develop a really good serve sooner or later.

A'DAM
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I also think Urla is good, she has such great feel. The power off her racket just seems to be natrual, and I think she can develop a really good serve sooner or later.

But she would need to fix her brain and that will be very difficult! :rolleyes:

the_tk
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think it's that critical for these players to win a Slam specific until that age.
the development of these players could break out in a year or two.
I think in that list, the most mentally prepared is Caro
but her game style doesn’t move anywhere and it look like she will get exhausted with her game eventually.

Cirstea - she's defiantly very talented.. huge potential!
she had some bad luck this year. suffered from many injuries and took some wrong decisions in the end of the year.
if she develops a little more mentally she would have a bright future.
I think in that list she's probably the most talented.

And I must add Azarenka. talented girl!
Crazy :cuckoo:... but talnted

Aaric
Nov 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Vogele :hearts:

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I think you're being a bit overconfident.

Nothing is written in stone of course, but if you measure a player's potential by how much they've achieved in relation to their age, then Caro has so far shown the most potential of any player born between November 1987 (when Ivanovic was born) and January 1993 (when Larcher de Brito was born.) So far she's the only player in that age range to reach the Top 5 and the only one to reach a slam final. And on top of that she also has the best win/loss ratio (which is even more impressive when you consider the number of tournaments she plays). And just watching her, I kind of feel like she has a stronger will to win than the other girls in that age range also. All that leads me to believe that she has more potential to win slams than any other player in her age group and I would honestly be shocked if she ends her career without winning at least 2 or 3 of them. So basically, no, I don't think I'm being overconfident about Caro :)

Slutiana
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
But if you measure a player on her game, then it is clear to see that there is a ceiling. Great for her that she has achieved what she has, but if the top players actually decide to show up in '10 and play the way they should be playing, well then wozniacki just isn't good enough and will be out of the top 10 period, the only time she can beat them is when they are in 40+ UE mode. And let's face it, tenniswise this has been the worst year since like 1994.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
But if you measure a player on her game, then it is clear to see that there is a ceiling. Great for her that she has achieved what she has, but if the top players actually decide to show up in '10 and play the way they should be playing, well then wozniacki just isn't good enough and will be out of the top 10 period, the only time she can beat them is when they are in 40+ UE mode. And let's face it, tenniswise this has been the worst year since like 1994.
True. Maybe if Caro's draw goes like this:

1R: Dushevina
2R Gallovits
3R: Wozniak
4R: W/O
QF: Melanie Oudin
SF: Yanina Wickmayer
F: Dinara Safina

She can win a slam. :haha:

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM

This has been a very weak year in tennis, but the rest of that is nonsense. First of all, the only way to judge the quality of players game is by her results. If Caro gets better results than the other players, then she has a better game than them. To argue otherwise is simply absurd. And sure, if all the best players started consistently playing their best then Caro could potentially get knocked out of the Top 10, but in the much more likely event that that doesn't happen Caro shouldn't have any trouble staying where she is or continuing to rise---especially in the early part of next year when Henin, Clijsters and Sharapova will still be ranked too low to pass her and where she'll have relatively few points to defend. She's also ranked behind Safina and Kuznetsova who have a ton of points to defend at the French Open, so if Henin wins there, as many people expect, Caro could potentially move past them in the rankings all the way up to #2. To put things differently, the probability of her reaching the Top 3 at some point next year is certainly much greater than the probability of her getting knocked out of the Top 10 (which probably wouldn't even be possible until after the US Open.) And that's not even taking into consideration the possibility that she might potentially win one of the slams, which, at least statistically speaking, is very much within the realm of possibility. And finally, Caro has shown that she can compete with the best when they're at their best. For instance, she played a surprisingly competitive match against Clijsters at the US Open final, getting closer to a slam victory than Safina ever has in 3 attempts, and she also beat Kuznetsova, who had won a slam only a couple months earlier. She also beat Azarenka at the YEC when she seemed to be in pretty good form and if you count Fed Cup she now leads their H2H 3-2. And she also had Top 10 wins against Dementieva and Pennetta this year. And in any case, she's obviously still improving so you would expect that she'd do even better against the top players in the future.

Anyway, the bottom line is this: You should definitely expect her to reach the Top 3 next year and it shouldn't be long before she starts winning some slams as well.

hugo2004
Nov 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Michelle Larcher de Brito is only 16 years old and she will win a GS in the future.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Michelle Larcher de Brito is only 16 years old and she will win a GS in the future.
If she improves her serve. A lot.

That said I actually kind of like Michelle. Her grunt is hilarious to me, I find it funny to watch her. :haha:

RND
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
By the way, was Paszek missed out? :awww: Just look it up on the rankings, she's dropped to 186. :sad: I still think she has the game to make the top 10, as long as she keeps herself heathy...

Jorn
Nov 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe this don't belong here, but about teens in TOP 100.

Scanning the teenagers in the Top 100 on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings can provide a glimpse at the sport's future stars. Many of them will never crack the Top 10 or win a Grand Slam, a few certainly will if history is any indication.

For instance, five years ago 17-year-old Maria Sharapova finished the year ranked No.4 and 19-year-old Svetlana Kuznetsova was No.5. They were both fresh off their first Grand Slam titles at Wimbledon and the US Open, respectively, and both have since added additional majors to their resumes. Also at the end of 2004, 19-year-old Jelena Jankovic was ranked No.35, 18-year-old Dinara Safina was No.44 and 17-year-old Ana Ivanovic was No.97. So who among today's teens in the Top 100 will follow similar paths to stardom? None of them already have a Grand Slam title like Sharapova and Kuznetsova, but all have shown signs of the potential it will take to keep ascending up the rankings like their predecessors.

Players Who Won Tour Singles Titles as Teenagers in 2009
(number in parentheses is age they were when they won event):
Victoria Azarenka (19): Brisbane, Memphis, Miami
Alexandra Dulgheru (19): Warsaw
Petra Kvitova (18): Hobart
Sabine Lisicki (19): Charleston
Yanina Wickmayer (19): Estoril (Also won Linz, but that was after she turned 20)
Caroline Wozniacki (18): Ponte Vedra Beach, Eastbourne, New Haven (was 19 when she won New Haven)

Notes: Wozniacki was the youngest Tour singles titlist in 2009, winning Ponte Vedra Beach about three months before she turned 19, which is about a month younger than Kvitova was when she won Hobart. ... The record for youngest Tour singles titlist belongs to Tracy Austin, who was 14 years, 18 days when she won Portland in 1977 ... The Charleston event had the lowest combined ages of finalists this year, with the then-19-year-old Lisicki beating the then-18-year-old Wozniacki.

Teens in 2009 Year-End Top 100
(number in parentheses is player's age as of November 9, 2009):

No.4 Caroline Wozniacki (19) (DEN)
No.41 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (18) (RUS)
No.46 Sorana Cirstea (19) (ROU)
No.49 Melanie Oudin (18) (USA)
No.50 Alizé Cornet (19) (FRA)
No.62 Petra Kvitova (19) (CZE)
No.66 Urszula Radwanska (18) (POL)
No.71 Polona Hercog (18) (SLO)
No.72 Ayumi Morita (19) (JPN)
No.76 Stefanie Voegele (19) (SUI)
No.83 Anastasija Sevastova (19) (LAT)
No.84 Petra Martic (18) (CRO)
No.92 Chang Kai-Chen (18) (TPE)

Notes: Oudin, who turned 18 on September 23, is the youngest player in the Top 100. ... No country has more than one teenager in the Top 100.

Caro is by far, the highest rankt teen.