PDA

View Full Version : Top-10 USA Players (Historical)

pov
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I keep seeing people here and in the media writing about how the USA isn't producing as many top-tier players as it used to. When was it that the USA had produced this supposed glut of top-10 players?

A quick look at historical YE top-10 shows:

in 2004: Davenport, WS and Capriati
in 1999: Davenport, WS and Seles(who I'd argue wasn't produced by the USA)
in 1994: Davenport and Navratilova(who most definitely was not produced by the USA)
in 1989: Garrison and Evert

jimbo mack
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
everett :lol:

pov
Nov 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
everett :lol:
Oops.lol :haha: Corrected
You missed the other funny one "Navratilove" - Corrected

danieln1
Nov 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Davenport, the best and most consistent!

thrust
Nov 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I keep seeing people here and in the media writing about how the USA isn't producing as many top-tier players as it used to. When was it that the USA had produced this supposed glut of top-10 players?

A quick look at historical YE top-10 shows:

in 2004: Davenport, WS and Capriati
in 1999: Davenport, WS and Seles(who I'd argue wasn't produced by the USA)
in 1994: Davenport and Navratilova(who most definitely was not produced by the USA)
in 1989: Garrison and Evert

When do you think tennis began? A hint, way before the Williams, Davenport, Evert and Capriati.

miffedmax
Nov 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Just looking at the YE Top 10 doesn't give you the full picture because it's just a snapshot. Consider some of the contemporaries to Evert, for example from the '70s and '80s--BJK, Shriver, Jordan, Nagelson, Garrison, MacNeil, Rosie Casals. Every one of them is a multiple slam semifinalist at least.

Now, if you're trying to put together a Fed Cup team, and Evert and Navritalova can't play, that's your bench. Actually, that's just part of your bench based on my aged and defective memory. That is some depth and firepower that even today's Russia couldn't match.
Not even if Lena had bangs.

LovelyAnu
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I would say that the best American players of the past three decades are -

80's - Chris Evert and Navratilova (considering that the woman gave in her heart and soul to the Fed Cup matches, even if it was against Czech Republic.)
90's - Lindsay Davenport (for the simple reason that neither WS nor anybody else could shine during that decade.)
2000's - Serena Williams and Venus Williams ( do i really need to explain the 18 Grand Slam singles titles shared between the two)

However, me being a die hard fan of Venus Williams, is disappointed by the way she has played during the past few years. The way she ended the season (and the Wimbledon surrender) was not expected out of a champion like her. I read this article about her (http://tinyurl.com/yg8oee7), and despite disagreeing with many things said about Venus, I, on some level, felt that my fave player is losing her shine with every single tournament passing.

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I think the main difference between now and the past is that in the past you didn't have to look all the way down to the 40s or 50s to find the #3 ranked American :help:

AnomyBC
Nov 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Just for the hell of it, here's the # of Americans in the YE Top 10 every year since 1989:

89 - 3
90 - 4
91 - 3
92 - 3
93 - 3
94 - 2
95 - 1
96 - 2
97 - 3
98 - 3
99 - 4
00 - 4
01 - 5
02 - 4
03 - 4
04 - 4
05 - 2
06 - 0
07 - 2
08 - 2
09 - 2

So far the decline isn't so bad, but I think we're going to be having a lot of 0 years after the Williams sisters retire :help:

dynamoRockstarr
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
^^^ i have hopes that it won't but you are most likely right.

miffedmax
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
There have been rumblings about the decline, though, since the end of the Evert/Navratilova days (see my above post, and I didn't even throw Austin, Jaegar, and a host of other Yanks into the mix).

Even as the Williams sisters began their ascent, there was a lot of breathless anticipation in some circles, as has been discussed on this board, that all of a sudden a horde of young, black girls were going to pick up rackets and spearhead a revival of American tennis because even then it was clear there was very little in the pipeline after Vee and Ree.

(I won't bother to address the flaw in this argument, other than to point out that had my older blonde, banged child been a girl it would have been precious little reason to assume he'd be the next Elena Dementieva).

Again, I don't know what the problem is, but I don't see the USTA doing much but saying they're addressing the problem without really doing much. Too many applecarts to upset, too many people making money under the old system.