PDA

View Full Version : Melanie Oudin 14:59

clonesheep
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Her 15 minutes of fame is up. She has not done anything since US Open.

I am afraid she is now joining: Anna-Lena Groenefeld, Karolina Sprem, Agnes Szavay, Sesil Karatantcheva, Tamira Paszek, and on and on, in the category of "another false rising star bites the dust".

Uranium
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
She played 3 events afterwards and has had the flu.:smash:

Miss Amor
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Did she destroy the hopes of your fav to win a GS ? :awww: :hug:

Noctis
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
4th Wim QF USO
Beaten Jankovic,Dementieva,Sharapova,Petrova
Given a Tough Set to Pennetta and Schiavone 7-5 & 7-6 In Italy

So yeah all Fluke :haha:

tae04
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I dont think she'll defend those Grand Slam results next yr though.

clonesheep
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
She played 3 events afterwards and has had the flu.:smash:

But she certainly didn't have the flu all indoor season? Carolina Wozniacki had injuries since USO but played all the way to the end of YEC. What I saw in Oudin was that she was basking in the glory of her US Open publicity and has not steped up her effort to actually live up to the hype.

Kipling
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Tough crowd that writes off a 17 year old....

KBdoubleu
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I dont think she'll defend those Grand Slam results next yr though.

She could easily be ranked in the top 32 by the time Wimbledon comes around, so she could see some pretty nice looking draws.

I think people are way too quick to write her off. Oudin has a different mentality than any of the players the original poster mentioned, which sets her apart from them. Also, some of those players had pretty significant events factoring in their failures to live up to their potential.

BartoliBabes
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
give her a fucking chance

JEEZ

Stevecw
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Bites the dust after 3 events?? :tape:

Way way too soon to write her off!!

Petkorazzi
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM

I am afraid she is now joining: Anna-Lena Groenefeld, Karolina Sprem, Agnes Szavay, Sesil Karatantcheva, Tamira Paszek, and on and on, in the category of "another false rising star bites the dust".
Do you happen to realize its been at least two years since the named player have had their one great result, while for Mel it's been like less than 2 months? :lol:

Elegante
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
She has things to work on, but what young player does not? Es un poco temprano... I don't think she is a top winner though.

Pasta-Na
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
shes alright.

Slamniacki
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
She needs to grow bangs.

RenaSlam.
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
She's 17.

Edinboro
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
She's actually 18. :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Funny when Sugar Ray named their album that, they didn't have any hits after that :lol:

laurie
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Bloody hell!

I start a contructive discussion on Melanie Oudin yesterday. http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=395627

But in many instances its easier to be negative than positive concerning young players. First of all she's 17 and still learning the game.

There is a more important point. There is a reason why teenagers no longer win Grand Slam titles - The WTA passed the rule earlier this decade that girls are not allowed to play a full schedule until they are 18 years old. So its virtually impossible without lots of top matches to become really good at a very young age like Hingis, Seles, Serena etc. Sharapova was the last 17 year old to win a slam (it might never happen again). Sveta was 19 when she won the US Open and look at how long it is taking Sveta to mature into a consistent performer at the top level.

What it means is that players now are not winning slams until their 20s when they are more emotionally mature and can deal better with the situation. I think this is a lot better scenario than the 1990s.

So with that been the case provided Melanie continues to improve, we won't see her at her best for another 4 years. So its preposterous to write her off after 3 months.

Drake1980
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
:spit: :shrug:

miffedmax
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
What were your expectations in the first place?

I think--and from what I've read a lot of people agree--that Oudin is perceived as being exactly what she's been so far. A pretty good player who can upset top players on any given day, but isn't likely to be a dominant player. She's good, but she just doesn't have the weapons to be a slam winner or win a huge number of WTA tournaments.

A few breathless types and the USTA were hyping her as the second coming of Serena/Martina/Chrissie, but they're so desperate it's not even funny (and so far, they're refusing to take any real steps to start turning out actual real Ree2.0s, because that would upset too many applecarts).

I expect she'll improve somewhat in 2010 and maybe pick up a small title.

Now, if I could only be accurate in my forecast about Lena growing back the bangs and winning a slam...

dreamgoddess099
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I didn't know someone was required to have another big result right away to "validate" there first big result. Any other non existent rules we need to know?

dreamgoddess099
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM
She needs to grow bangs.

Max?:confused:

pov
Nov 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM

It is of course always possible that she won't become a top-10 player. However, the fact that she's done nothing since the USO is a piss-poor basis to make a judgment on. The same can be said about many players - Clijsters comes to mind. And before the USO, it could have been said that Oudin hadn't done anything since Wimby. IMO -your argument fails.

danieln1
Nov 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM
She played amazing in the US Open and Wimbledon, also at roland garros... maybe she“s trying to emulate Serena and don“t give a fuck about the tour and only focus at the slams!

We“ll see if she“s for real at the Australian Open!

hdfb
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Even if 2010 is a disappointing season, we can still pull out the Pam Shriver card and call it the Sophomore Slump. She is only 17, as everyone has said.

Protoss
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
She played amazing in the US Open and Wimbledon, also at roland garros... maybe she“s trying to emulate Serena and don“t give a fuck about the tour and only focus at the slams!

We“ll see if she“s for real at the Australian Open!
It's amazing to lose 6-0 6-1 to Zuzana Ondraskova in the 1st round of qualifying at the French Open? :p

ZODIAC
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
she is not as good as the media is building her up to be,next year she will be a target for sure at 17yrs pova had a slam ,Serena was already a slam champion at that age so she will have a career but i dont see slams on her resume.

joćo.
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:22 PM
She's the definition of overrated.

Cakeisgood
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Give her a year. I actually don't see very much in her game either. She's a sorta counterpuncher with a meek serve and a slice.

She could turn out to be great, who knows? But I'd say it's too early to write her off.

hammerhead
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I am not writing her off. Give her time to prove herself and further develop. But you also can't completely discount that:
- Jankovic was sick at Wimbledon
- Sharapova set a WTA record for doublefaults in the match at the US Open
- Pavlyuchenkova and Petrova absolutely melted down and hit over 60 unforced errors each

Melanie is a tough competitor and she didn't beat herself in these matches...which is terrific and therefore she earned the W. She used crowd momentum so well. But, just like we can't write her off just yet, the hype machine is definitely in overdrive.

My biggest fear is she is going to start buying into the hype machine and start feeling like a huge disappointment when she keeps losing (those matches in Italy were not competitive matches...she was forced into 50+ errors in both matches...at one point she didn't win a point for like 12-13 points in a row). Her assessment was they were close and she just needed to play a few shots differently, but in reality, there are major issues she is going to have to overhaul, like her serve. Hopefully she can separate truth from reality and adjust accordingly.

SM
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Shes yound, we will see how she has done in exactly 1 years time before we write her off.

Armchair critics pffft...i'd love to see how you would do at a pro career lol

young_gunner913
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
She's the definition of overrated.

so she beat sharapova in something again?

hellas719
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
She was sick and injured :shrug:

SOA_MC
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
This thread is odds on to get bumped repeately

Asif_Nawaz
Nov 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
shes too young as yet...

but to the OT , All those players you mentioned weren'texactly flash in the pans.

ALG had a steady rise from 2003 no. 120 to the end of 2005 no. 20 . actually end 2005 in moscow she was thrashing Masha when she rolled her ankle and was forced to retire. she reached the 2006 FO QF and then troubles with her coach caused a sharp decline. however, she did come back and beat hantuchova and cornet at the USO 08 and took safina to a 75 set.

Also, all these girls reached at least the top 35 in singles. ALG in 2005 at the age of 20, Sprem in '04 at the age of 19, Szavay in '07 at 19, Karatantcheva in '05 at 17, Paszek in '07 at 16.

InsideOut.
Nov 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
She could easily be ranked in the top 32 by the time Wimbledon comes around, so she could see some pretty nice looking draws.

I think people are way too quick to write her off. Oudin has a different mentality than any of the players the original poster mentioned, which sets her apart from them. Also, some of those players had pretty significant events factoring in their failures to live up to their potential.

At one point, many people thought Szavay had that mentality - serving a second serve ace down match point at 6-7 1-5 against Jankovic in the Beijing final, QF at USO after beating some pretty tough opponents, and ranking in the top 20 after just half a season of good results. Yet now she is nowhere.

matty
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
:lol:Did she destroy the hopes of your fav to win a GS ? :awww: :hug:

matty
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Give her a break--she has time. Is she a future #1? Probably not, but she may get to the top 15 or even 10.

ZODIAC
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
She is already getting awards for winning four matches at the Open and losing two matches at the Fed Cup final....that just ridiculous.Americans are so desperate for a white player to do well....

The Witch-king
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I am not writing her off. Give her time to prove herself and further develop. But you also can't completely discount that:
- Jankovic was sick at Wimbledon
- Sharapova set a WTA record for doublefaults in the match at the US Open
- Pavlyuchenkova and Petrova absolutely melted down and hit over 60 unforced errors each

Melanie is a tough competitor and she didn't beat herself in these matches...which is terrific and therefore she earned the W. She used crowd momentum so well. But, just like we can't write her off just yet, the hype machine is definitely in overdrive.

My biggest fear is she is going to start buying into the hype machine and start feeling like a huge disappointment when she keeps losing (those matches in Italy were not competitive matches...she was forced into 50+ errors in both matches...at one point she didn't win a point for like 12-13 points in a row). Her assessment was they were close and she just needed to play a few shots differently, but in reality, there are major issues she is going to have to overhaul, like her serve. Hopefully she can separate truth from reality and adjust accordingly.

initially i thought the numbers in the thread title were a ratio of her winners to errors in some match

hammerhead
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
She is already getting awards for winning four matches at the Open and losing two matches at the Fed Cup final....that just ridiculous.Americans are so desperate for a white player to do well....

Yea, it was pretty silly that Oudin won the Fed Cup Heart Award for beating Betina Jozami (who? ranked what?) in the first round when Pennetta gave up Bali to play for Italy, Schiavone beat Kuznetsova in the semifinals, and Glatch beat two Czech players in the Top 50 to get USA to the finals while Oudin sat on the bench in that tie.

Some of the media reports even reported that it was Oudin who won those two matches in Czech :lol: Talk about desperate.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Erm, no.