PDA

View Full Version : Serena suspension unlikely, ITF president says

stkenyi
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
ITF chief: Serena faces 'significant' fine :kiss:

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy -- Top-ranked Serena Williams will most likely receive a "significant" fine but no suspension for her U.S. Open tirade, the president of the International Tennis Federation said.

Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which probably will announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday.

"I don't think [an Australian Open ban] would make much sense, because it would penalize the people handing out the punishment," Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Saturday. "For the Grand Slam committee to exclude her from a Grand Slam doesn't seem likely."

The Grand Slam committee is composed of Ricci Bitti and the four Grand Slam presidents.

Williams was fined $10,000 after her profanity-laced outburst at a lineswoman during her semifinal loss to Kim Clijsters in September. A fine from the ITF could be much greater.

"A significant financial penalty makes much more sense. But it has to be significant enough for the fans [to appreciate] it," Ricci Bitti said. "Of course it may not be significant for Serena Williams, who earns tens of millions."

By winning the season-ending tour championship last weekend, Williams set the record for single-season prize money in women's tennis by topping $6.5 million in 2009. Her career prize money is a record $28.5 million.

Ricci Bitti spoke at the Fed Cup final between the United States in Italy. Serena and Venus Williams decided not to play in the Fed Cup final after meeting in the final of the season-ending championship last weekend in Doha, Qatar.

The ITF president is also involved in a request by the World Anti-Doping Agency to investigate Andre Agassi's recent admission that he took crystal meth in 1997.

Agassi wrote in his soon-to-be-released autobiography "Open" that he ingested the drug and then lied to the ATP to avoid a suspension after failing a doping test.

Ricci Bitti is also a member of WADA's executive committee.

"The WADA code is our reference point and in every doping case the rules are quite clear. There is an eight-year period for sanctions to apply," Ricci Bitti said. "In terms of the regulations, there is nothing that can be done because we're past the eight-year period. It's more upsetting than anything else -- for our sport and for the players."

Still, Ricci Bitti noted that the ATP should have a dossier on the case.

"We'll see what happens," he said.

In another drug-related case, the ITF confirmed a one-year suspension for Belgian tennis players Yanina Wickmayer and Xavier Malisse on Saturday. The duo was suspended by a Belgian tribunal this week for failing to report their whereabouts to anti-doping officials three times during 2009.

"This reminds me of the cases of Italian players involved in betting a little while ago," Ricci Bitti said. "These players need to be aware of their responsibilities. If they don't know, this is the result.

"These cases create discussion because they're not reliant on positive tests, but there are rules to respect," Ricci Bitti added. "We're awaiting the details from the Belgian federation. These kids need to wake up. They're professionals and they earn a lot of money. They don't need to merely know the rules, they should also respect them."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4632186

Take that haters :bounce:

Mightymirza
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
IS the lineswoman getting some compensation for having to go through it?

Chrissie-fan
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
IS the lineswoman getting some compensation for having to go through it?
If she promises not to do it anymore she won't be suspended for violating the rules by making a bad call at a crucial stage of a match. :p ;)

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
well he, they,whomever needs to hurry up and make the official ruling so that people can either move on or kill themselves, their choice.

Apoleb
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
If she promises not to do it anymore she won't be suspended for violating the rules by making a bad call at a crucial stage of a match. :p ;)

Did you see whether her foot touched the line or not?

You're taking the whole "I have to defend player behavior because I defended Capriati" a bit too far.

jefrilibra
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
And they took all this time to come up with that decision???!!!:help:

Anyway no surprise there.

Get ready to defend your title at the AO 2010 Serena.:kiss:

Pat Bateman
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:06 AM
ITF chief: Serena faces 'significant' fine :kiss:

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy -- Top-ranked Serena Williams will most likely receive a "significant" fine but no suspension for her U.S. Open tirade, the president of the International Tennis Federation said.

Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which probably will announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday.

"I don't think [an Australian Open ban] would make much sense, because it would penalize the people handing out the punishment," Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Saturday. "For the Grand Slam committee to exclude her from a Grand Slam doesn't seem likely."

The Grand Slam committee is composed of Ricci Bitti and the four Grand Slam presidents.

Williams was fined $10,000 after her profanity-laced outburst at a lineswoman during her semifinal loss to Kim Clijsters in September. A fine from the ITF could be much greater.

"A significant financial penalty makes much more sense. But it has to be significant enough for the fans [to appreciate] it," Ricci Bitti said. "Of course it may not be significant for Serena Williams, who earns tens of millions."

By winning the season-ending tour championship last weekend, Williams set the record for single-season prize money in women's tennis by topping $6.5 million in 2009. Her career prize money is a record $28.5 million.

Ricci Bitti spoke at the Fed Cup final between the United States in Italy. Serena and Venus Williams decided not to play in the Fed Cup final after meeting in the final of the season-ending championship last weekend in Doha, Qatar.

The ITF president is also involved in a request by the World Anti-Doping Agency to investigate Andre Agassi's recent admission that he took crystal meth in 1997.

Agassi wrote in his soon-to-be-released autobiography "Open" that he ingested the drug and then lied to the ATP to avoid a suspension after failing a doping test.

Ricci Bitti is also a member of WADA's executive committee.

"The WADA code is our reference point and in every doping case the rules are quite clear. There is an eight-year period for sanctions to apply," Ricci Bitti said. "In terms of the regulations, there is nothing that can be done because we're past the eight-year period. It's more upsetting than anything else -- for our sport and for the players."

Still, Ricci Bitti noted that the ATP should have a dossier on the case.

"We'll see what happens," he said.

In another drug-related case, the ITF confirmed a one-year suspension for Belgian tennis players Yanina Wickmayer and Xavier Malisse on Saturday. The duo was suspended by a Belgian tribunal this week for failing to report their whereabouts to anti-doping officials three times during 2009.

"This reminds me of the cases of Italian players involved in betting a little while ago," Ricci Bitti said. "These players need to be aware of their responsibilities. If they don't know, this is the result.

"These cases create discussion because they're not reliant on positive tests, but there are rules to respect," Ricci Bitti added. "We're awaiting the details from the Belgian federation. These kids need to wake up. They're professionals and they earn a lot of money. They don't need to merely know the rules, they should also respect them."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4632186

Take that haters :bounce:

Well, there's four other people on the commitee that decides Serena's fate, so I wouldn't be celebrating just yet :spit:

tenn_ace
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
was there ANY doubt?

Chrissie-fan
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Did you see whether her foot touched the line or not?

You're taking the whole "I have to defend player behavior because I defended Capriati" a bit too far.
Well, at least it makes a nice change from "I have to attack Serena because I am a Capriati and Hingis fan." :lol: But don't worry - I haven't forgotten all the horrible things the fans of the player I'm defending here have said about Jennifer over the years.

In The Zone
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I am not really concerned with the Serena part, we knew she wouldn't be suspended. She should be fined her USO Singles prize money.

I am very disturbed by these comments:

Wickmayer and Malisse have shown evidence as to why the system was broken. These kids need to wake up? No, the tennis federations out there need to wake up and need to cut the crap, taking away people's lives simply because they can. The two did NOTHING to warrant such a suspension.

mykarma
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I tried not to laugh but: :lol::lol::lol:

Vlover
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Which organizer would be stupid enough to ban Serena from their tournament? With Serena being the #1 player and a popular defending AO champion, I'm sure the AO organizers were not willing to make that sacrifice.:lol:

Sam L
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:01 AM
As long as she's in the Australian Open finals - which is where I'll be also - I'll be happy. :drool:

And judging by her performance the Tour Championships, Serena is extra motivated to blitz the field and "make up" for that US Open debacle. I knew she wouldn't be suspended.

manu
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I am very disturbed by these comments:
Wickmayer and Malisse have shown evidence as to why the system was broken. These kids need to wake up? No, the tennis federations out there need to wake up and need to cut the crap, taking away people's lives simply because they can. The two did NOTHING to warrant such a suspension.
Well said. I totally agree!

DimaDinosaur
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Leave Wickmayer ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me slap the Belgian Federation and Ricci Bitti to wake their asses up!

pascal77
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
we thought they would take a large piece of shit since they have spent much time doing this, but what we we are about to see is only a fart taken by them.:o:kiss::bounce::worship::lol::devil:

cellophane
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Yawn. This shit is so yesterday.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
we thought they would take a large piece of shit since they have spent much time doing this, but what we we are about to see is only a fart taken by them.:o:kiss::bounce::worship::lol::devil:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :worship:

I love the Chinese posters. :hearts:

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
watch serena get fined half a mil. total bullshit.

tennnisfannn
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Serena has already been paid to pay the fine. Remember the IW fine, on the eve of the tourny, there was that 700.000 she and venus made in one night.
serena's fine will probably be a fraction, not of her prize money for the year but of the bonuses she would have gotten.
Fines are truly meaningless unless the 'victim' gets paid. The lines woman should get most of the fine.

santhuruu
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I still don't understand why Wickmayer got this suspension, I mean she clearly gave a sign when the system didn't work, and that she could not login, she also called members of the staff I believed of the ITF. What else could she have done in that position. I also think a year of suspension is too long for Wickmayer. As for Malisse, he missed an appointment when they wanted to control him, that's another story!

As for Serena, I'm soo glad that she will not get banned, I'd also say they should take the fines out of the bonus money Serena would have received!

pascal77
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :worship:

I love the Chinese posters. :hearts:

Really, i love swedish players,(Soldering and his lovely dimples) they look very handsome, probably the most handsome in the world:o

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
'Top-ranked Serena Williams will most likely receive a "significant" fine but no suspension for her U.S. Open tirade, the president of the International Tennis Federation said. Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which probably will announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday. "I don't think (an Australian Open ban) would make much sense, because it would penalize the people handing out the punishment," Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Saturday. "For the Grand Slam committee to exclude her from a Grand Slam doesn't seem likely."

Did he mean that it would hurt the Grand Slam more than it would hurt Serena if she wasn't allowed to play in it? :wavey: :dance:

PS:- And posters on this forum called Serena fans retarded and delusional when they said that not letting Serena play will hurt the tournament :rolls: :lol:

Pasta-Na
Nov 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
jujus back, though. :p

Golovinjured.
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Are you oblivious to the fact that there is already a thread about that statement, or are you just an idiot?

Привет
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
No shit. :shrug:

Seriously, tell me something I don't already know, or don't tell me anything at all.

tennnisfannn
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
It is a seriously long season, if we don't double up on the threads, what else can we talk about, serena's possible banning is the in thing this season, cut the OP some slack. Or better still, if the threads looks like a repeat, don't come in. The OP may not have seen the other thread.

Dave.
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
'Top-ranked Serena Williams will most likely receive a "significant" fine but no suspension for her U.S. Open tirade, the president of the International Tennis Federation said. Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which probably will announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday. "I don't think (an Australian Open ban) would make much sense, because it would penalize the people handing out the punishment," Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Saturday. "For the Grand Slam committee to exclude her from a Grand Slam doesn't seem likely."

Did he mean that it would hurt the Grand Slam more than it would hurt Serena if she wasn't allowed to play in it? :wavey: :dance:

I don't know where you read "more". Excluding Serena would of course be hurtful to the tournament (she's the defending champ, world no.1) but obviously would hurt Serena, especially (as some claim) that this is one of the few tournaments she cares about. :lol:

Pureracket
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
LMAO@ people thinking/hoping that the ITF would ban Serena. She's the best and greatest in the game. I'm wondering now how the ITF is going to react when Serena refuses to pay an additional fine. LOL!

tennisbum79
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
She is the same Justine.

She never generated any enthusiam before, and she is not going to start now.
Maybe the novelty of her comeback. But that is about it.

Yes. she is a good palyer. But boring one.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
She is the same Justine.

She does in Belgium and on this board. I'm sure her fans are happy with that.

Marty-Dom
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Justine would generate serious interest but only if she could meet Serena during the tournament. With no Serena in the draw Justine is just another story.
I hope they meet, but not before quarterfinals.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
She is the same Justine.

Entirely untrue.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
just wanted to post in reetard's thread even though there are 9,999,900,000,099,999 other threads on this. :inlove:

friendsita
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM

yeah... and it's true.

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
It wouldn't hurt the tournament as much as it would hurt Serena. People are still going to show and watch the OZ whether Serena plays or not. Obviously the field would be suffering, but the tournament wouldn't be hurt in the long run, IMO.

mauresmofan
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think the statement is true losing Serena Williams from any tournament let alone a GS where she's defending champ wouldn't do anyone any favours. She's a massive draw card and has appologised for her behaviour and that should be that. Anyone who has played a sport and has had an arguement with an offical knows how easily it can turn ugly and in the heat of the moment you can end up saying stuff you don't mean at all. This is what happened at the Open and it cost her and that should be enough.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Entirely untrue.

We all know, but we can still pretend.

It wouldn't hurt the tournament as much as it would hurt Serena. People are still going to show and watch the OZ whether Serena plays or not. Obviously the field would be suffering, but the tournament wouldn't be hurt in the long run, IMO.

How would it hurt Serena? She's still going to be Serena and tournament organizers are still going to pay her to play their tournament. The AO's loss would be some other tournaments gain. Or some talk show, or whatever else Serena would have decided to do during that time off.

moby
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
She shouldn't be banned anyway over such a trivial matter, but citing her popularity (and achievements) is a terrible reason for not banning her. It is also the reason why the likes of Agassi get away with lame excuse letters to the ATP, while non-American journeymen are slapped with lengthy suspensions. If anything, punishment at the top of the sport should be stricter, not less.

brickhousesupporter
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
She shouldn't be banned anyway over such a trivial matter, but citing her popularity (and achievements) is a terrible reason for not banning her. It is also the reason why the likes of Agassi get away with lame excuse letters to the ATP, while non-American journeymen are slapped with lengthy suspensions. If anything, punishment at the top of the sport should be stricter, not less.
Penalties should be even across the board.....Serena should not be fined more than another player because she makes more.

Привет
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Just thought I'd say that my previous post was directed at the ITF president, not the thread starter. ;) Just didn't want people to get the wrong idea, which I think at least one poster has. :)

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Penalties should be even across the board.....Serena should not be fined more than another player because she makes more.

Agreed. And I think they're going to have to be very mindful of that unless they want to spend a lot of time dealing with an appeal or a lawsuit.

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM

:rolleyes:

I imagine the ITF president knows more about what would and would not hurt the tournament than your haterade drinkin' ass, Dallas.

Vlover
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The organizers know Justine is no substitute for Serena. It is no secret that Serena is always the one to beat therefore when she is not present many people lose interest in the WTA matches. As expected Justine's fans are excited about her return but the rest of us are as indifferent as when she left.:shrug:

Jacob#1
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Agreed. And I think they're going to have to be very mindful of that unless they want to spend a lot of time dealing with an appeal or a lawsuit.

I smell a lawsuit.

youizahoe
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
the itf will focus on yanina's appeal and their rules most likely, instead of serena :rolls:

Yorker
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
LMAO@ people thinking/hoping that the ITF would ban Serena. She's the best and greatest in the game. I'm wondering now how the ITF is going to react when Serena refuses to pay an additional fine. LOL!

You do realize this would just be plain retarded right? they hand out the fine pay up and keep on playing. do you realize this board would erupt like mount st. helens if she refused, it'd be good off season chat for some but i dont wanna see that.

brickhousesupporter
Nov 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM
You do realize this would just be plain retarded right? they hand out the fine pay up and keep on playing. do you realize this board would erupt like mount st. helens if she refused, it'd be good off season chat for some but i dont wanna see that.
If the amount of the fine is unconscionable, I think she should refuse. If they fine her more than they would the average tennis player, then she should refuse and seek legal recourse.

mdterp01
Nov 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Well she should be heavily fined for the incident. Its been so long since the damn thing now that I'm so over it, as apparently are most other people. But, you can't behave like that. I never believed she would be suspended or banned from any major tournament. She'll throw out some money and be done with it!! Moving along and :kiss: to the hatahs that were hoping for something stiffer.

LightWarrior
Nov 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
But, you can't behave like that.

Why not ? Yes you can. Are you repressed or something ?

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Why not ? Yes you can. Are you repressed or something ?

You can't behave like that and expect there to be no repercussions - warranted or not.

Vlover
Nov 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
If the amount of the fine is unconscionable, I think she should refuse. If they fine her more than they would the average tennis player, then she should refuse and seek legal recourse.
I'm sure Serena's legal team is capable of handling this if it is deemed excessive. Under the equal opportunity laws you are not allowed to arbitrary single out individuals and have a different set of rules. What ever fine is leveled at Serena has to be applied across the board for similar instances also. I'm sure she would appeal and the ITF would reduce it when everyone has forgotten about this.:lol:

BTW has anyone heard from Lindsayfan? With so much vested in the outcome I wonder how is s/he taking this.:weirdo:

Bijoux0021
Nov 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm sure Serena's legal team is capable of handling this if it is deemed excessive. Under the equal opportunity laws you are not allowed to arbitrary single out individuals and have a different set of rules. What ever fine is leveled at Serena has to be applied across the board for similar instances also. I'm sure she would appeal and the ITF would reduce it when everyone has forgotten about this.:lol:

BTW has anyone heard from Lindsayfan? With so much vested in the outcome I wonder how is s/he taking this.:weirdo:
Lindsayfan wants Serena to be thrown out of tennis altogether. That's how deep his/her hatred is for Serena. It has been his/her obsession, so s/he must be very disappointed that that's not going to happen, not even a suspension. S/he's not going to take this well at all. Let's hope s/he didn't jump off a bridge or something. :)

LightWarrior
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM

What's going on here ? Is the decision being delayed or what ?

Pureracket
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
You do realize this would just be plain retarded right? they hand out the fine pay up and keep on playing. do you realize this board would erupt like mount st. helens if she refused, it'd be good off season chat for some but i dont wanna see that.I'm not absolutely sure that Serena cares about the eruptions of this particular message board. She paid the fine already. She got mad and went off on an official. To act like the official is weak and threatened is actually unfair to the official. We've made the official into some weakling who can't help herself because of an athlete's "spur of the moment" tirade. It happens in sports all the time. The official stood her ground, followed the rules, and told the chair umpire what was said.

Yorker
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm not absolutely sure that Serena cares about the eruptions of this particular message board. She paid the fine already. She got mad and went off on an official. To act like the official is weak and threatened is actually unfair to the official. We've made the official into some weakling who can't help herself because of an athlete's "spur of the moment" tirade. It happens in sports all the time. The official stood her ground, followed the rules, and told the chair umpire what was said.

I didn't mean serena would care but surely you know a lot of posters take the first chance they get to slam back at her. i just don't think it would benfit her to say no if they hand out another fine and drag this on some more, it's already gone on longer than it should, it doesn't take long to investigate the 10 seconds of flipping out by her. honestly i just don't think it would be wise for her to refuse the fine as long as it's not some outlandish amount of money.

Pureracket
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I didn't mean serena would care but surely you know a lot of posters take the first chance they get to slam back at her. i just don't think it would benfit her to say no if they hand out another fine and drag this on some more, it's already gone on longer than it should, it doesn't take long to investigate the 10 seconds of flipping out by her. honestly i just don't think it would be wise for her to refuse the fine as long as it's not some outlandish amount of money.I mean...I guess you're right about the fine. I don't think this board could slam Serena any more than they already have. Regardless of how she reacts to the penalty, the board is going to have issues.

Why don't you think it would be "wise" of her to refuse the fine, though?

Dunlop1
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Why can't ITF just forget about the whole thing????
What a waste of time and hoopla. Fine her or don't. Who cares!

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Lindsayfan wants Serena to be thrown out of tennis altogether. That's how deep his/her hatred is for Serena. It has been his/her obsession, so s/he must be very disappointed that that's not going to happen, not even a suspension. S/he's not going to take this well at all. Let's hope s/he didn't jump off a bridge or something. :)

hmpf...speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

Yorker
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I mean...I guess you're right about the fine. I don't think this board could slam Serena any more than they already have. Regardless of how she reacts to the penalty, the board is going to have issues.

Why don't you think it would be "wise" of her to refuse the fine, though?

because it would just be dragging things on even more, look i agree that it was a heat of the battle incident that anyone could have done under those circumstances but i think it's gone on long enough and if serena refused to pay, it might make things worse when this thing should be over with.

ZODIAC
Nov 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Serena will get a warning and nothing more,I dont see her being fined at all

gmokb
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Already knew there would be no suspension. I don't know why she should be fined again, much less significantly. Anyway, its just money and Serena will earn it back in no time.