PDA

View Full Version : Which (open era) record is the most amazing ?

LightWarrior
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
- Navratilova and her 9 Wimbledon singles titles
- Evert and her 7 RG titles
- Navratilova winning 167 tournaments singles titles
- Evert winning at least one GS title for 13 consecutive years
- Graf and her 22 GS titles
- Seles winning 7 of the the last 8 GS titles she entered at 19 years of age
- Hingis becoming both the youngest GS winner and youngest # 1 ranked player
- Serena saving MPs (MP) 3 times in a GS on her way to 3 GS titles

youizahoe
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
All are great, I'm not gonna pick, each era has different factors that made it hard, yet special.

duhcity
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Golden Slam
Seles' 28-0 W-L Streak at the AO until she lost

LightWarrior
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Correction : Seles won 8 of the last 9 GS she entered. I mean that one is quite something at only 19 years old.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Chris Evert reaching the at least the Semi Finals in all but one of every Grand Slam she played between the US Open 1971 and Wimbledon 1986, a period of more than 15 years. In other words, 48 semifinals or better in her 1st 49 Grand Slams played. That type of consistency over such an extended period is scary and I doubt we will ever see anything like it ever again.

TennisFan75
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evert winning 125 straight matches on clay from 1973-1979 :) all those great records are amazing though...

LightWarrior
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Serena never losing in a 1st round GS tournament is good too. I don't know whether she has the record though.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Serena never losing in a 1st round GS tournament is good too. I don't know whether she has the record though.

Not even close. Evert didn't even lose in the 2nd round. Infact in her whole career she lost only 3 times before the Semis. Two 3rd round loses and one Quarterfinal. In contrast Serena Williams has lost before the Semi Finals of 23 out of the 40 Grand Slams she has contested. And Serena Williams is without question the best player of the last decade so that really does put Evert's success in perspective.

austennis
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evert and her 7 RG titles
1 Navratilova winning 167 tournaments singles titles
2 Navratilova and her 9 Wimbledon singles titles
3 Evert winning at least one GS title for 13 consecutive years
4 Graf and her 22 GS titles
5 Seles winning 7 of the the last 8 GS titles she entered at 19 years of age
6 Evert and her 7 RG titles
7 Hingis becoming both the youngest GS winner and youngest # 1 ranked player
8 Serena saving MPs (MP) 3 times in a GS on her way to 3 GS titles

ALl of these were great achievements and really with the exception of Serena could have gone top 3 normally... but i think that it just shows how great the best have been

austennis
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Chris Evert reaching the at least the Semi Finals in all but one of every Grand Slam she played between the US Open 1971 and Wimbledon 1986, a period of more than 15 years. In other words, 48 semifinals or better in her 1st 49 Grand Slams played. That type of consistency over such an extended period is scary and I doubt we will ever see anything like it ever again.

This is truly incredible and will probablly never be matched!! Not even federrer will be able to put together such a run in the last portion of his career imo

:worship:

hdfb
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hingis becoming both the youngest GS winner and youngest # 1 ranked player

:angel:

Valanga
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hingis's one:)

spencercarlos
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Graf and her 22 grand slams in such a bad pick. You could have had her winning each grand slam at least 4 times and 22 overall. I think this and Navy´s 9 Wimbledons take the cake.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM
That one has my vote, definitely. The 125 match winning streak on clay is amazing also. And after finally losing one she followed it up with another 64 match winning streak which means a match record on clay of 189-1 between August 1973 and June 1981. :worship:

I don't think that anyone will ever do something like that again.

Hugh.
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM
In contrast Serena Williams has lost before the Semi Finals of 23 out of the 40 Grand Slams she has contested. And Serena Williams is without question the best player of the last decade so that really does put Evert's success in perspective.
But I would say the level of competition back then was a lot less than it is today. Therefore it was a lot easier for there to be 1 or 2 dominating players. Recently there has been no one who has completely dominated the tour.

propi
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Conchita winning Rome four times in a row surpasses for just a little Graf's 22 GS :hearts::hearts::bounce:

LightWarrior
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM
That one has my vote, definitely. The 125 match winning streak on clay is amazing also. And after finally losing one she followed it up with another 64 match winning streak which means a match record on clay of 189-1 between August 1973 and June 1981. :worship:

Which makes me think of Nav's 74 matches winning streak, another great record.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
But I would say the level of competition back then was a lot less than it is today. Therefore it was a lot easier for there to be 1 or 2 dominating players. Recently there has been no one who has completely dominated the tour.

I wouldn't argue with that. There is no question the depth of the tour is infinitely greater than it was when Evert was playing. People who talk about the weakness of the tour because of the vunerability of the top players to the lower ranked players so often overlook a large part of that is because the lower ranked players are so much better than they were a few years ago.

But still...all that said....48 semis in 49 tournaments, I don't care who you are facing that is just beyond belief. It isn't just better than what anyone has done this decade, it is 5 or 6 levels better, so even accounting for the hugely greater depth that does exist today, this is still quite an extraordinary achievement.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
No, the competition that Evert faced was a lot less for a few years in the mid-80's, but she had a career of 18 years. In her career she played against all time greats like Court, King, Goolagong, Navratilova and even Graf and Seles in the last few years of her career. And there were Wade, Mandlikova, Austin and so on. The problem is that whenever a woman dominates the tour she seldom gets the credit for it - it's always because of "a lack of competition." If Serena (who in my opinion is DEFINITELY an all time great) had won 18 slams instead of 11 she would probably get less credit for it because people wouldn't argue that it proves her greatness but rather how terrible everyone else must be. Nobody is saying that Laver dominated because of a lack of competition - no, "he was a genius.". And if in these modern times competition is so much tougher, why has Federer won more grand slams in half the time it took Sampras to win all of his?

Chrissie-fan
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't argue with that. There is no question the depth of the tour is infinitely greater than it was when Evert was playing. People who talk about the weakness of the tour because of the vunerability of the top players to the lower ranked players so often overlook a large part of that is because the lower ranked players are so much better than they were a few years ago.
The lower ranked players are definitely better today, but the competition at the top is always tough in any era.

sammy01
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM

hasn't federer reached like 20+ consecutive slam semi finals. it is possible to set amazing records still.

Sha_ra_po_va
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I was a chrissy fan (but a bigger graf fan), but thinking about these records & stats, chrissie has to take top billing - take your pick from the 125 streak on clay (scary), the grand slam consistency (imagine for 15 years thinking ana ivanovic will reach AT LEAST the semis of EVERY grand slam she plays???) or the 13 consecutive years she won a slam. Only graf winning 4 of each slam comes close to these IMHO.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM
The lower ranked players are definitely better today, but the competition at the top is always tough in any era.

Absolutely.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:13 AM
from the list I'd go with Navratilovas winning 167 tournaments.

Sund7101
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Any of Chris Evert's consistency records. 125 match winning streak on clay as well...

Monica Seles winning 8 out of the last 9 majors when she was 19. She was destined to be the greatest player of all time.

Sam L
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Seles is also the only player to win 3 consecutive titles at two Grand Slams as well as the Tour Championships. I find that pretty amazing in that, nobody else has done it.

darrinbaker00
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
In 303 tournaments played as a professional, Chris Evert reached the semifinals or better in 253 of them (83.5%). Just think what she might have accomplished if that left-handed Czech chick didn't get in her way. ;)

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Steffi Graf - Versatile Tennis Champion
http://www.all-about-tennis.com/images/steffi_graf.jpg

-Steffi was underrepresented on this list of achievements. Every year we talk about someone possibly doing the impossible and winning a true GRANDSLAM- that's definitely an amazing record that Steffi has achieved!

-And what about Steffi winning every slam at least 4 times!!! Navratilova was strong at Wimby and Evert at RG but Steffi was strong everywhere regardless of the surface. She was the most versatile tennis player of all time, she had no weak surface and won six French Open singles titles (second to Evert) and seven Wimbledon singles titles (third behind Navratilova and Helen Wills Moody).

People don't realize she is the only singles player to have achieved a Calendar Year Grand Slam across all three types of tennis courts, as the other Calendar Year Grand Slams won by other players occurred when the Australian and U.S. Opens were still played on grass.

-Or what about Chris Evert winning 125 consecutive matches on clay, with a loss of only 7 sets!! :eek:

mckyle.
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Already mentioned twice, but Graf winning at least four (4!!!!!!!!) of every Slam is always the stat that "WOW"s me!

darrinbaker00
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Steffi Graf - Versatile Tennis Champion
http://www.all-about-tennis.com/images/steffi_graf.jpg

-Steffi was underrepresented on this list of achievements. Every year we talk about someone possibly doing the impossible and winning a true GRANDSLAM- that's definitely an amazing record that Steffi has achieved!

-And what about Steffi winning every slam at least 4 times!!! Navratilova was strong at Wimby and Evert at RG but Steffi was strong everywhere regardless of the surface. She was the most versatile tennis player of all time, she had no weak surface and won six French Open singles titles (second to Evert) and seven Wimbledon singles titles (third behind Navratilova and Helen Wills Moody).

People don't realize she is the only singles player to have achieved a Calendar Year Grand Slam across all three types of tennis courts, as the other Calendar Year Grand Slams won by other players occurred when the Australian and U.S. Opens were still played on grass.

-Or what about Chris Evert winning 125 consecutive matches on clay, with a loss of only 7 sets!! :eek:

You're right, Sir Stefwhit. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is Navratilova's proficiency in all three disciplines. In addition to her 167 singles titles, she also won 177 doubles titles, including 41 majors (31 women's doubles, 10 mixed). There have been lots of players who were dominant for brief periods, but Navratilova, Graf and Evert were dominant for their entire careers.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Not to mention to compensate for a deeper field they now seed the top 32 players in slams, whereas before only 16 players were seeded. I think this kind of evens things out a bit- even considering the weaker competition back then.

brent-o
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Not even close. Evert didn't even lose in the 2nd round. Infact in her whole career she lost only 3 times before the Semis. Two 3rd round loses and one Quarterfinal. In contrast Serena Williams has lost before the Semi Finals of 23 out of the 40 Grand Slams she has contested. And Serena Williams is without question the best player of the last decade so that really does put Evert's success in perspective.

Incredible! My jaw physically dropped at this stat.

NJjeff
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Not that it makes her accomplishments any less amazing, but didn't Chris lose 4 times before the semis:

1983 Wimbledon - 3rd Round (to Kathy Jordan 1-6, 6-7, she had food poisoning)
1987 US Open - QF (to Lori McNeil 6-3, 2-6, 4-6, was this the match she lost the bracelet and thus the term tennis bracelet was coined?)
1988 French Open 3rd Round (to Arantxa Sanchez 1-6, 6-7, she had a bone spur injury didn't she?)
1989 US Open QF - (to Zina Garrison 6-7, 2-6, her last Grand Slam match)

She also has a career winning percentage of .900 (1,309–146)

PLP
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Evert winning at least one GS title for 13 consecutive years.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for this thread. A thread that up to this point is a great read. I'm loving all the amazing accomplishments mentioned. To me it's not about ranking each of em, instead it's about talkin' about them. Basically any player in the Hall of Fame- or any player destined to be part of it will have some amazing feat worthy of mention.

TO add a few more here's some of Kim's amazing stats (I posted this in another thread but it seems like a good fit here too):
-She's the only player to win a slam while not having an official ranking and by doing so became the first unseeded mom to win a slam. She also hold the record for moving from being ranked outside of the top 100 to number 1 faster than any other player in the history of the sport.

However you think that compares to the others mentioned doesn't matter, it's still an amazing feat worth a mention.

So to is the whole sister thing with Venus and Serena. I know it's been discussed ad nauseum so we tend to take it for granted, but what two sisters from Compton were able to accomplish is quite remarkable.

Keep posting amazing feats accomplished throughout the history of the sport, it's a great read!

olivero
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
all those acomplishments are simply amazing :bowdown: Chris, Steffi, Martina :bowdown:
I wonder if someone ever beats Martina's 9 Wimblys record

MistyGrey
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
For me its Steffi's Golden slam, plus winning each slam atleast 4 times... followed by Martina's 167 (:eek:) singles titles and 9 Wimbledon titles, and then Chris' consistency in slams and dominance on clay.

Steff_forever
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Steffi's 1989 win/loss ratio (86 victories and 2 losses = 0.9772) after that Golden Slam yr; the yr 1989 was the most impressive for me...

further info as already posted in numerous threads:

records

* is the only female tennis player who won the Grand Slam on four different surfaces (Rebound-Ace, Clay, Grass and Supreme Court).
* is the only female tennis player who won every Grand Slam title at least four times each.
* is the only female tennis player who could defend her title at all four Grand Slam tournaments.
* is the only female tennis player who won all four Grand Slam titles in two different decades.
* is the only female tennis player who won eight titles at nine played Grand Slam tournaments (1988/1989/1990).
* is the only female tennis player who could defeat all three top-seeded players at a Grand Slam tournament.
* gained the fastest victory of all times in a Grand Slam final (Graf won the final of the French Open 1988 against Natalia Zvereva in 34 minutes 6:0 and 6:0).
* is, along with the British player Dorothea Lambert Chambers (1911 at Wimbledon), the only female tennis player who could win a Grand Slam final scoring 6:0 and 6:0 (French Open 1988).
* is the female tennis player who finished as the year-end World No. 1 the most times, having done so on eight occasions.
* is the female tennis player who was ranked as the Word No. 1 uninterruptedly for the longest time (186 weeks. This was a record also among male players until Roger Federer surpassed this mark in August 2007).
* is the female tennis player who was ranked as the World No. 1 for the longest time (377 weeks).

Further personal bests

The summary of her career displays 902 victories and 115 losses. Her quota of victories of 88.7 % is being outnumbered only by Chris Evert (90,0 %). Graf's best annual balance, the second best of all times, shows 86 victories and two losses (1989). Between June 1989 and May 1990 she won 66 consecutive matches, a mark that is being exceeded only by Martina Navratilova. As a singles player, Graf reached 31 finals of Grand Slam tournaments, which ranks her No. 3 behind Chris Evert (34) and Martina Navratilova (32). Graf's record of 21 consecutive appearances in finals (1986–1988) is being surpassed only by Martina Navratilova (22 consecutive finals). Steffi Graf won a career prize money of US$ 21.891.306, which had been a record until January 2008 when it was exceeded by Lindsay Davenport at the Australian Open.

Just Do It
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Seles winning 7 of the the last 8 GS titles she entered at 19 years of age

madlove
Nov 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
definitely hingis'. awesome player at her peak.