PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup F: F. Schiavone def. M. Oudin 7-6, 6-2 (ITA 2 - 0 USA)

Jorn
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
USA :o But expected...its on clay.

Uranium
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Rain sucks.

Mel:hug:
You guys can still win, stay positive:music:

DragonFlame
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Expected results... Italy on clay is hell for the americans. :o

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
ITALY! :hearts:

Golovinjured.
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Shame about the rain delay, Melanie was owning it.

Italy :worship:

The Untouchable
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Very solid play from Melanie, but you could see that she has troubles with moving on clay and the sliding.

Once she sorts that a bit out and figures the sliding, she's going to be an elite clay courter, with her movement and slices, and I have not much doubt that she'll win a RG in her career. :)

G&R
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
:yeah: Francesca..so close now

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oudin really needs to work on her clay court game. Her movement on it is :tape:

MBM
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
mwahahahahaha

améliemomo
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
too bad melanie is not confortable on clay nor any american in fact.

Tough situation for USA.

Sexysova
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
good effort Mel :hug:

nevetssllim
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Fran :banana: Never in doubt :yeah:

GrandMartha
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
:drool:
destroy them Italians :drool:

!Gio!
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah Italia!!!! Forza Italia!
Flavia will wipe the floor with Mel tomorrow!
Good job Fran and Flavia!!

The Witch-king
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Very solid play from Melanie, but you could see that she has troubles with moving on clay and the sliding.

Once she sorts that a bit out and figures the sliding, she's going to be an elite clay courter, with her movement and slices, and I have not much doubt that she'll win a RG in her career. :)

she need to work on her slidin and her serve if she's to win that. Just holdin serve a real task for her!
Otherwise i think she a good player on clay. I loves the way she STEP into her forehand.
That Glatch girl the one clueless out on the mud.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Nice try Mel :hug: She'll improve on clay once she gets more match play in on the surface ;).

Congrats Franny

Brena
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Fran! :banana::rocker2:

SVK
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Franny´s shot between the legs:hearts:

simonsaystennis
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Schiavone is really lucky that there was a rain delay... Mel was taking it to her up until then.
Mel has gotten a lot better on clay, but once Schiavone found her game, it was just too tough.

SoClose
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
expected result!!!!

Craig.
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM

:spit: Calm down.

hammerhead
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Check out www.sonyericssonwtatour.com coverage of Serena's book signing in London. My she just looks so terriby exhausted :rolleyes:

Have to laugh at the shot of her surrounded by copies of her book with her face on the cover. It's like wall-to-wall self-adornment! (While Team USA goes down in flames...:fiery:)

Break My Rapture
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Gooooo Italy !! :woohoo:

hammerhead
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I watched both matches live on Tennis Channel. I agree with commentators who said both matches were pretty much the same. Strong first sets by the Americans (largely helped by early nerves of Italians) followed by complete comfort and dominance by the Italians in the second.

Match stats pretty well back it up. Clearly, Schiavone's serve is a class above Melanie. Schiavone hit 4 aces, won 79% of points on first serve, and 45% on second serve. In contrast, Melanie double faulted 4 times and won only 26% of points on her second serves. Schiavone forced Mel into errors.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Check out www.sonyericssonwtatour.com coverage of Serena's book signing in London. My she just looks so terriby exhausted :rolleyes:
You are absolutely right. If she's got enough energy to smile and sign books then she's got enough energy to be running, swinging, jumping, sliding, hopping, skipping, back stroking, breast stroking, and any other physical movement (needed or not) on court. How dare she, flaunting all that energy showing all her teeth to paying customers. Get her happy ass to the clay pronto!!

Have to laugh at the shot of her surrounded by copies of her book with her face on the cover. It's like wall-to-wall self-adornment! (While Team USA goes down in flames...:fiery:)

Perhaps they should have used someone else's book with their face on the cover? :shrug: I think self-adornment in this case fits just perfectly. Anyway, I'm sure Serena is with team USA in spirit. Unfortunately I don't think team Italy regards playing Serena's spirit the same as playing the actual woman.

Uranium
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You are absolutely right. If she's got enough energy to smile and sign books then she's got enough energy to be running, swinging, jumping, sliding, hopping, skipping, back stroking, breast stroking, and any other physical movement (needed or not) on court. How dare she, flaunting all that energy showing all her teeth to paying customers. Get her happy ass to the clay pronto!!

Perhaps they should have used someone else's book with their face on the cover? :shrug: I think self-adornment in this case fits just perfectly. Anyway, I'm sure Serena is with team USA in spirit. Unfortunately I don't think team Italy regards playing Serena's spirit the same as playing the actual woman.

"We have a really good team and quite frankly they got there without me but I'd really like to go and support." - Quote by Serena when she committed.
Instead she has other plans like going on Jonathon Ross' show and John Stewart. Personally, I understand and don't really mind Serena withdrawing, but I would have liked for her to have gone anyways. Having Serena there to support the girls would have done wonders IMO. To know they have someone like Serena cheering them on would have helped them. But it is what it is.

Cookie Power
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Dumb pusher.

hdfb
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I respect Serena's decision to play or not play, love her either way, but I just had to say, Serena playing at 10% would have been better than Glatch. :o

hammerhead
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I respect Serena's decision to play or not play, love her either way, but I just had to say, Serena playing at 10% would have been better than Glatch. :o

Actually, Serena playing at 1% sounds about right. Serena is #1 and Glatch is #123. 1/123 = 1%

And since Glatch recently beat both Oudin and King in head-to-head competition (her teammates), that's not saying too much for this team in comparison "a a few percent" of Serena and Venus!

dreamgoddess099
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
"We have a really good team and quite frankly they got there without me but I'd really like to go and support." - Quote by Serena when she committed.
Instead she has other plans like going on Jonathon Ross' show and John Stewart. Personally, I understand and don't really mind Serena withdrawing, but I would have liked for her to have gone anyways. Having Serena there to support the girls would have done wonders IMO. To know they have someone like Serena cheering them on would have helped them. But it is what it is.

Are you serious? Do you seriously think her sitting on the sidelines watching the team go down would have kept her from getting flak? If anything they would have blamed her for not grabbing her racket and getting out there to save the team, especially if she was right there. Nobody wants to see Serena just sitting and watching, otherwise Mary Jo would have asked her to come just for team support once she found out she couldn't play.

Mynarco
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I don't get it, why choosing Glatch to play singles? Jill and King can do better than her

Uranium
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Are you serious? Do you seriously think her sitting on the sidelines watching the team go down would have kept her from getting flak? If anything they would have blamed her for not grabbing her racket and getting out there to save the team, especially if she was right there. Nobody wants to see Serena just sitting and watching, otherwise Mary Jo would have asked her to come just for team support once she found out she couldn't play.

Did I say she would not have gotten criticism anywhere in my comment?:weirdo: By Serena going, I think that would have inspired the other girls to work harder by having someone like Serena by their side. But that's just my opinion.

hammerhead
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I don't get it, why choosing Glatch to play singles? Jill and King can do better than her

Glatch has beaten both Oudin and King recently. Mary Jo said in her blog that Glatch played better in practice during the week than King. I think Jill would have done better than King or Glatch.

By the way, at least Glatch only made 18 errors in her match against Pennetta. Oudin made 49 errors against Schiavone :tape:

Winners/Errors Stats from today's matches
Pennetta 33/14 Glatch 14/18
Schiavone 24/31 Oudin 18/49

DimaDinosaur
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM
loser USA

dreamgoddess099
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Did I say she would not have gotten criticism anywhere in my comment?:weirdo: By Serena going, I think that would have inspired the other girls to work harder by having someone like Serena by their side. But that's just my opinion.

Well if you acknowledge that she'd still get criticized (maybe even more), then how could you still think it would be a good idea for her to go?:silly: Furthermore, if the US team isn't inspired to work hard already then I doubt Serena's presence would make them step up. It might put even more pressure on them to do well.