PDA

View Full Version : Is Marion Bartoli A Pusher?

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm curious to see what others think, often she has a very low winner count and a very low unforced error count, but when i watch her, i don't see her "pushing", what do you think?

Ferg
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Um, no. :confused:

Adrian1092
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Shes nowhere near being a pusher. Complete opposite. She's an attacking player, dont think ive ever seen her moonball :lol:

InsideOut.
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Not hitting winners doesn't automatically make you a pusher...

Marion is a grinder. She dictates play with her angled shots and ultimately causes her opponent to make a FORCED error, but she doesn't hit many outright winners because she actually doesn't hit very hard.

On the other hand, a pusher would not dictate play but would throw everything back at half-pace, being pushed around and around the court and frustrates her opponent into committing UNFORCED errors. Obviously, they don't hit many winners because they don't even try to find openings to hit winners but just try to retrieve everything.

Dexter
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
What a poll. :lol:
Those who think she's a pusher should watch her 4r match from AO this year against Janković. She sure did push that ball right.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
it looks so far that the consensus is going to be one sided. When i watch her i don't see "push" at all, but often she relies on her opponent to make the mistake to win the point.

This isn't a negative thing at all, i was just curious to know if this is classified as pushing :)

SELVEN
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
she has some good ability of defensive,it doesn't mean that she is a pusher

Golovinjured.
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Lame poll, lame thread. No surprise it's from a lame poster.

volta
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
:o

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
If this is supposed to be a joke it's not even remotely funny.

P.S.
Instead of creating moronic threads you could have learned how to spell Zvonareva's name.

delicatecutter
You knew she wasn't a pusher before you posted this thread. I've never read anyone refering to her as one on here. Are you really that desperate for attention?

Mashabator
USELESS thread!
its quite obvious shes not, and you of all people being her fan should know she isnt.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Hey guys give me a break, i'm only extrapolating from recent stats, in my opinion she isn't one, but i thought it warranted a question. I'm still a bit confused on what the total boundaries of being a "pusher" are. Excuse me for being lame :sad:

Slamniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yes. She is a brainless pusher.

Julian.
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
No, she is a puller. :lol:

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
:lol: :haha:

Caralenko
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
You knew she wasn't a pusher before you posted this thread. I've never read anyone refering to her as one on here. Are you really that desperate for attention?

:lol: :worship: Another good rep coming your way.

To answer the original question, no.

Ferg
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hey guys give me a break, i'm only extrapolating from recent stats, in my opinion she isn't one, but i thought it warranted a question. I'm still a bit confused on what the total boundaries of being a "pusher" are. Excuse me for being lame :sad:

Look, i know you're only trying to be a good fan and your intentions are good but all these polls and threads about her are too much. Im not critiszing you but im only trying to show you from some of the other peoples perspectives. Its overkill, especially with a thread like this when i dont think anyone has ever called her a pusher on this board.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Look, i know you're only trying to be a good fan and your intentions are good but all these polls and threads about her are too much. Im not critiszing you but im only trying to show you from some of the other peoples perspectives. Its overkill, especially with a thread like this when i dont think anyone has ever called her a pusher on this board.

not all threads have to be reactionary to other posters feelings. I though it was a legitimate question hoping to care the lines between pusher and brainless ballbasher, it seems that on this thread most posters continue to see players as one or the other. With this justification the same question could be said about any player stuck in the middle, if people don't want to clarify my perspectives then there nothing i can do about it. Sorry for speaking my mind. On a second thought though, this should be in player forums, because as you pointed out this thread is too specific to be in general messages.

Noctis
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Shes a Eater

BartoliBabes
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
WTF GTFO:lol:

BartoliBabes
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
not all threads have to be reactionary to other posters feelings. I though it was a legitimate question hoping to care the lines between pusher and brainless ballbasher, it seems that on this thread most posters continue to see players as one or the other. With this justification the same question could be said about any player stuck in the middle, if people don't want to clarify my perspectives then there nothing i can do about it. Sorry for speaking my mind. On a second thought though, this should be in player forums, because as you pointed out this thread is too specific to be in general messages.

it shouldn't be in player forums because such a ridiculous poll/question shouldn't need to be discussed. Marion is OBVIOUSLY!!!! NOT A PUSHER!!!!:help:

fouc
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
What a moronic poll :weirdo:
What about 'No, those stupid terms [pusher, brainless ballbasher] doesn't reflect what's going on on the court at all, and are disgrace for tennis fans, who should evaluate tennis in all its complexity' option?

nevetssllim
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Of course she's not. :weirdo: Marion's all about attack and is one of the flattest hitters on the WTA.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
What a moronic poll :weirdo:
What about 'No, those stupid terms [pusher, brainless ballbasher] doesn't reflect what's going on on the court at all, and are disgrace for tennis fans, who should evaluate tennis in all its complexity' option?

I agree with you, but i thought most posters didn't see it that way, hence a different gamestyle being classified into 1 of 2 irrelevant classifications.

most people are just taking this poll at face value

i thought most posters just saw players as pushers and brainless ballabshers, clearly when marion is neither, do we make a third classification?

BartoliBabes
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
the only options given are "pusher" and a "brainless ballbasher", when Marion is neither of these

i'm sick to death of these terms though

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
the only options given are "pusher" and a "brainless ballbasher", when Marion is neither of these

i'm sick to death of these terms though

I totally agree, that is why i created this poll, because if we only see players in these terms than we are seeing them wrong.

Marionated
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
No, but I have watched matches where she should have played a lot more aggressive, the match against Clijsters at the US open being a good example. She isn't all out offense imo.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
With her physical issue, she's definitely NOT a pusher type.:p

SVK
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I can´t imagine Bartoli pushing:spit:

Ferg
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
With her physical issue, she's definitely NOT a pusher type.:p

Did you even watch any of Stanford? She cant help her body shape (which people dont seeem to understand) but theres no issue with her actual fitness, shes improved it enourmously this year.

Cookie Power
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
No.

The OP is unintelligent.

AnywhereButHome
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
No

rockstar
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
the only thing she pushes is cake down her throat :o

Dave.
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Marion is a grinder. She dictates play with her angled shots and ultimately causes her opponent to make a FORCED error, but she doesn't hit many outright winners because she actually doesn't hit very hard.

This. Contrary to what people say on here, Marion is actually tiny compared to most tennis players. She does not hit the ball that hard, and what power she does have comes from her excellent timing.

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Tiny? That's a stretch, unless you're comparing her to Kleybanova.

Golovinjured.
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
No.

The OP is unintelligent.

This.

Dave.
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Tiny? That's a stretch, unless you're comparing her to Kleybanova.

It's true. She is small compared to most other players.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Isn't marion the shortest in the top 20 or sometihing?

Golovinjured.
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
That doesn't mean she isn't the widest.

Hugh.
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Isn't marion the shortest in the top 20 or sometihing?

I think only Schiavone is shorter than her in the top 20. Bartoli is 5'7" but there are many players who are only slightly taller.

Roookie
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM
She can be at times

Illusionist
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Nope.

Break My Rapture
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
A pusher can't defeat Venus on hardcourt or Justine on grass, so no. :p

The Dawntreader
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Misinformed.

Like Dave says, she's no titan, but her pace is triggered by her superb timing and racquet-head speed. Her excellent racquet prep helps too.

Protoss
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
A pusher can't defeat Venus on hardcourt or Justine on grass, so no. :p
Katya Bondarenko won the 3rd set against Venus on hard court while hitting 0 winners. :p

davidmario
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
seriously, who starts those threads should follow tennis for another 2 years and then come back.

rnwerner
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
She is the opposite of a pusher. If there is a thread about Marion being a pusher any player need a thread about pusher or not...

Ciarán
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
AWFUL AWFUL thread.

davidmario
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think her match against JJ at the AO this year was like the cleanest ballbashing presentation I've ever witnessed in my life! Venus defeating Pavlychenkova in Dubai this year a close second.

Justin SW
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Shes nowhere near being a pusher. Complete opposite. She's an attacking player, dont think ive ever seen her moonball :lol:

Shes not a pusher, but she more often then most players throw moon balls though which is an intelligent thing to do when off ;)

DimaDinosaur
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:19 AM
she's a slutter. she sluts all over federer like there's no tomorrow. have some dignity, marion!!!!

hdfb
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Someone hasn't seen the Bartoli vs Henin Wimbledon SF. Rarely have I seen Henin reduced to nothing in her reign as #1. Bartoli made Henin look like the pusher that day, who could only scramble back balls and not make plays.

Lulu.
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Not even close.

Sombrerero loco
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM
absolutely not...

Jacob#1
Nov 8th, 2009, 11:48 PM
there is dichotomy?

Caralenko
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Players of Marion's size and power cannot exactly be considered pushers.

Rafito.
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM

3 months on, and he is even lamer.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Players of Marion's size and power cannot exactly be considered pushers.

She's something like 1.70m and 58kg according to the wta tour official site.

Singleniacki
Feb 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM
i used this thread too prove a point about the Classification of all players as Brainless Ball Bashers and Pushers which was something common at them time. It actually had nothing to do with Marion herself at all :rolleyes:. I used my fav player to demonstrate that not all players fitted into these catergories which some posters believed.

Shafanovic.
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM
:rolleyes: @ this thread.

you're like NaGoat but all your threads are Marion related :spit:

Dor Y
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
what a poll :o

And No, she is not

tim2502
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
she is not...

Carsten
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
If Bartoli is a pusher then Camille Pin is a brainless ballbasher.

KamilZ
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
If Bartoli is a pusher then Camille Pin is a brainless ballbasher.

hahaha...yep :lol:

This thread :help: Bartoli is a pusher :lol: what a great idea :lol: so funny...

faboozadoo15
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Bartoli is very very consistent, but she's an attacking player.

It's strange that she gets a lot of balls back into play but you certainly wouldn't call her a defensive player.

From what I've seen, she makes you beat her though, which is a good thing.

-Sonic-
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:15 PM
hmm, your face may be a pusher.

laurie
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Marion Bartoli is definitely not a pusher.

But I couldn't vote in the poll because Marion is not a brainless ball basher either. Marion constructs points well and hits the ball regularly with controlled agression - and sometimes she has to defend, like every single Tennis player does, this is not Golf, she has an opponent on the other side of the net - so I couldn't vote for the 3rd option either.

tennis-insomniac
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Here are my personal reasons for NO

1. Marion is a flat hitter and her two-haded backhand and forehand increase her power but decrease her angel shots or top-spin therefore less winners

2. her body suits her game for attacking and rally the point and force the opponent make an error one of the reason she beat JJ many times she's a good attacker

3. her defence is her flat stroke with little the racket block (Tammy does the same thing) thus you don't see many flat-hitters use slice when they are at defense and that sometimes give a lot of trouble of opponents cuzz the balls will land close to the net and it's hard to top-spin to keep the balls in play

tennis-insomniac
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM

1. Marion is a flat hitter and her two-haded backhand and forehand increase her power but decrease her angel shots or top-spin therefore less winners

2. her body suits her game for attacking and rally the point and force the opponent make an error one of the reason she beat JJ many times she's a good attacker

3. her defence is her flat stroke with little the racket block (Tammy does the same thing) thus you don't see many flat-hitters use slice when they are at defense and that sometimes give a lot of trouble of opponents cuzz the balls will land close to the net and it's hard to top-spin to keep the balls in play

faboozadoo15
Feb 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM

2 handed shots actually give you excellent angle and disguise-- see Monica Seles.
Bartoli has great angles and great controlled aggression. She can be hit off the court though by bigger hitters on their day.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Caro owns Bartoli so that indicates she's probably not a pusher.

Caralenko
May 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I love this thread :banana:

Rafito.
May 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM
:worship:

Singleniacki
May 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
My point of this thread was to challenge the notion of catergorizing all players into pushers and ballbashers :lol: Didn't work :rolls:

Cara where's your daily bad rep :lol:

Caralenko
May 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
My point of this thread was to challenge the notion of catergorizing all players into pushers and ballbashers :lol: Didn't work :rolls:

Cara where's your daily bad rep :lol:

:kiss: Là vous l'avez.

Singleniacki
May 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM
:kiss: Là vous l'avez.

Sig photos sont à venir, je voudrais vous demander ou Brad faire une pour moi, mais après la cascade vous avez tiré, je suis un peu méfiant :)

A Magicman
May 27th, 2010, 07:26 AM
This is a pusher.

hYDZ8nTT6h4

Cakeisgood
May 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
She epitomizes the idea of a grinder. At her best, she can really hang with anybody.

genius147
May 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
yes she is